• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Themes you wish capcom to develop into games

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Sorry, capcom is a video-game developer and not a writer. If you want to read stories, get yourself a library card.

Tell that to the Quantic Dream fans.

There's nothing wrong with expecting a good story and in fact, some of the most popular games this gen have been story based games i.e. Heavy Rain, Uncharted series, Bioshock series, etc which goes to show that many gamers appreciate a good story.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD

There's nothing wrong with expecting a good story and some of the most popular games this gen have been story based games i.e. Heavy Rain, Uncharted series, Bioshock series, etc.

Exactly, so I just wish DMC could catch up.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I agree with everything, except characters since I can find a Dante clone in millions of other games. for example;

Masamune Date (since they were both made by the same company)
Travis Touchdown
Ragna the Bloodedge in terms of looks
Bryce from Never Dead
Duke Nukem
and many others.

Ragna, Travis and Duke being similar to Dante? I don't think so, haha, we got a heavy difference of opinion on these. But if being completely original is the point, no game in the world have good characters as most of ideas at some point overlap because human personalities are limited, there are defined traits that makes people be what they are. People, just as ficticional characters are limited and share traits with other similar beings fictional or real. Dante doesn't seem like a "copy-paste" to any character i know (i got the same impression with Donte), besides he can be really similar to that Cobra as he was the inspiration for Kamiya to make Dante? I don't know, never read these mangas or cartoons of that Cobra guy.

By the way, a good plot doesn't hurt, but isn't necessary either and take a lot of resources to put some emphasis into story (expensive mocap, voice acting, graphics that became a burden to the game's performance). People find appreciation in these kind of games and the proof to this is the sellings of the past entries and even the best-seller of the franchise: Devil May Cry 4, who sold 2.7 mil units (which is pretty good for a title that is not AAA when it comes to budget and development time). Capcom probably learned from their recent mistake that a game cannot be turned into something very different if you have a estabilished fanbase that are willing to have a similar experience they had before, and the market is becoming full of these story-driven games so you have a lot of "competition" to deal with. Even the fact that we have a handful of forums to discuss Devil May Cry serves as evidence to show that people holds interest in these kind of games, they have a demand, this is how the free-market is suppose to work. I think it would be cool to have a very solid plot to DMC, but i don't really think it's the main focus of the game and it shines a lot on the aspects that actually matters for these games to be great: gameplay and characters that fit the style of the game (fun to play and watch, with some cool personalities).

And the most important point: stories, in the end of the day, falls to a higher degree of personal taste; there are qualitative traits that cannot be measure or stated with certainty to say: "This offers more than this" or "This is better than that one", we can only talk about how coherent a story is, and even this doesn't mean much because some things in any story is suppose to remain as a mystery (Sparda is one of that things). I actually like DMC's story, even if they ****ed up the timeline with DMC4 i really can't see why people think it is such a piece of ****, as i said in another topic: DMC characters (including even Nero and Credo along with all character from the ealier games, except Lucia) are among my favourite characters from a game cast along with characters like Big Boss, The Boss, X, Solid, Ryu (SF) and so on.

Bazilican

Ragna, Travis and Duke being similar to Dante? I don't think so, haha, we got a heavy difference of opinion on these. But if being completely original is the point, no game in the world have good characters as most of ideas at some point overlap because human personalities are limited, there are defined traits that makes people be what they are. People, just as ficticional characters are limited and share traits with other similar beings fictional or real. Dante doesn't seem like a "copy-paste" to any character i know (i got the same impression with Donte), besides he can be really similar to that Cobra as he was the inspiration for Kamiya to make Dante? I don't know, never read these mangas or cartoons of that Cobra guy.

Didn't say it was bad, just saying that the character's are really not all that interesting. It was only their actions that made it interesting. If you were to show some scrawny wreaking doing dante's moves and such, Dante would be a thing of the past.

Plus I notice you use Donte when ever you seem to be dealing with an unreasonable DmC fan. Which is out of the contrary considering I don't like DmC either.

By the way, a good plot doesn't hurt, but isn't necessary either and take a lot of resources to put some emphasis into story (expensive mocap, voice acting, graphics that became a burden to the game's performance). People find appreciation in these kind of games and the proof to this is the sellings of the past entries and even the best-seller of the franchise: Devil May Cry 4, who sold 2.7 mil units (which is pretty good for a title that is not AAA when it comes to budget and development time).

Yes. Now compare that to say CoD who still has a better plot then DMC, while DMC still has its old fanbase to go on with.

Capcom probably learned from their recent mistake that a game cannot be turned into something very different if you have a estabilished fanbase that are willing to have a similar experience they had before, and the market is becoming full of these story-driven games so you have a lot of "competition" to deal with. Even the fact that we have a handful of forums to discuss Devil May Cry serves as evidence to show that people holds interest in these kind of games, they have a demand, this is how the free-market is suppose to work. I think it would be cool to have a very solid plot to DMC, but i don't really think it's the main focus of the game and it shines a lot on the aspects that actually matters for these games to be great: gameplay and characters that fit the style of the game (fun to play and watch, with some cool personalities).

Good for you that you prefer quantity (more action and style) over quality (an actual structured plot, likable characters, a memorable setting, and actual cool music)

And the most important point: stories, in the end of the day, falls to a higher degree of personal taste; there are qualitative traits that cannot be measure or stated with certainty to say: "This offers more than this" or "This is better than that one", we can only talk about how coherent a story is, and even this doesn't mean much because some things in any story is suppose to remain as a mystery (Sparda is one of that things). I actually like DMC's story, even if they ****** up the timeline with DMC4 i really can't see why people think it is such a piece of ****, as i said in another topic: DMC characters (including even Nero and Credo along with all character from the ealier games, except Lucia) are among my favourite characters from a game cast along with characters like Big Boss, The Boss, X, Solid, Ryu (SF) and so on.

Again, good for you, but I think DMC4 sucked for more then just it messing up the time line. It was just a dull interpretation of anime love and did an awful job at portraying Dante as the character he was before both in a timeline sense, and an all around interesting sense as well. If you're into that laziness then that's good for you, but I just can't take DMC or DmC or any game for that matter is a game that wants to get better if it can't prove it to me.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Didn't say it was bad, just saying that the character's are really not all that interesting.

>interesting

Subjective.

Plus I notice you use Donte when ever you seem to be dealing with an unreasonable DmC fan. Which is out of the contrary considering I don't like DmC either.

Good, so you don't have any reason to be offended with this.

Yes. Now compare that to say CoD who still has a better plot then DMC, while DMC still has its old fanbase to go on with.

If that's your point, so all games have to be like CoD. DMC has a context to sell this much, it's part of a genre that has a niche audience. Btw:

>CoD
>story

Better be trolling.

Good for you that you prefer quantity (more action and style) over quality (an actual structured plot, likable characters, a memorable setting, and actual cool music)

You don't seen to actually understand the meaning of the words you are using. A well-made game have quality and quantity in his gameplay (or his story, if it's his focus): gives you a plentyful of options and has cool ideas behind its mechanics. If "quality" is measure for the aspects you said, so no fighting game (or DMC game) is this world could be a good game, this is just you forcing your personal tastes as quality. You don't seem to be able to talk about things by a logical standpoint and just after setting and defining things and them explaining your preferences, it's just impossible to a have debate with someone who acts like this. You've described more a movie than a game, as your clear focus is only in that content that the game shows to you in his story and background.

If you're into that laziness then that's good for you, but I just can't take DMC or DmC or any game for that matter is a game that wants to get better if it can't prove it to me.

So what brings you to a DMC forum? DMC never had these things you pointed as "quality" to a game, and yourself said that.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

There's nothing wrong with expecting a good story and in fact, some of the most popular games this gen have been story based games i.e. Heavy Rain, Uncharted series, Bioshock series, etc which goes to show that many gamers appreciate a good story.

Your point???

Capcom's Monster Hunter doesn't even have a story at all and its the current highest selling games in Japan and has a pretty rising popularity in the West now.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
My point is that a good story can help improve a game.

Does it really???

I mean Enslaved and Heavenly Sword have great stories better than any DMC game (DmC included)...which would you prefer to play? Me I'll rather play Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta (see what I did there).

Even Bioshock Infinite (considered to have the best story in the Bioshock series) to many (and its fact) falls short of the other Bioshocks.

I prefer System Shock as a whole Bioshock was getting worse and worse.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Does it really???

I mean Enslaved and Heavenly Sword have great stories better than any DMC game (DmC included)...which would you prefer to play? Me I'll rather play Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta (see what I did there).

Even Bioshock Infinite (considered to have the best story in the Bioshock series) to many (and its fact) falls short of the other Bioshocks.

I prefer System Shock as a whole Bioshock was getting worse and worse.

I used 'can' right? It's not definitive but it's possible. Heavy rain has almost non-existent game play but it still garnered plenty of praise. Why? Story. Uncharted's gameplay is no different than many other TPS's out there. Why does it stand out? Story and set pieces.

And no, Bioshock Infinite falling short of other Bioshocks is not a fact. It's a general consensus.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I used 'can' right? It's not definitive but it's possible.

And no, Bioshock Infinite falling short of other Bioshocks is not a fact. It's a general consensus.

Hmmm....not going to deny that...but to me Bioshock Inifinite was pretty average game with a great story and atmosphere (and ayayayayay)...nothing to hold me interest for long.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Hmmm....not going to deny that...but to me Bioshock Inifinite was pretty average game with a great story and atmosphere (and ayayayayay)...nothing to hold me interest for long.

I agree with you there. The gameplay was sort of meh compared to the previous games and I had nothing to look forward after finishing the main campaign.

Bazilican

>interesting

Subjective.

Doesn't make it false to me. Not everyone's gonna love Dante.

Good, so you don't have any reason to be offended with this.

No. Just something I notice you say sometimes when a DmC fan says something bad about DMC.

If that's your point, so all games have to be like CoD. DMC has a context to sell this much, it's part of a genre that has a niche audience. Btw:

>CoD
>story

Better be trolling.

So sorry I don't worship DMC as a story of the gods. whether niche or not, I still think its low compared to other games.

You don't seen to actually understand the meaning of the words you are using. A well-made game have quality and quantity in his gameplay (or his story, if it's his focus): gives you a plentyful of options and has cool ideas behind its mechanics. If "quality" is measure for the aspects you said, so no fighting game (or DMC game) is this world could be a good game, this is just you forcing your personal tastes as quality. You don't seem to be able to talk about things by a logical standpoint and just after setting and defining things and them explaining your preferences, it's just impossible to a have debate with someone who acts like this. You've described more a movie than a game, as your clear focus is only in that content that the game shows to you in his story and background.

Well excuse me for looking at things differently then you. It's not me forcing, its me making my opinion known. DMC lacks quality in story and focuses on quantity with its gameplay. It's not a hard concept and its not bad that you like that, but for me it doesn't do it remotely well.

So what brings you to a DMC forum? DMC never had these things you pointed as "quality" to a game, and yourself said that.

Simple; I never said DMC had bad gameplay.

Top Bottom