• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The True Nature of Dante's Strength?

Railazel

Hey guys! Rai here with a bit of a controversial question. Well, not really "controversial" in the sense that we asked this question to ourselves a good number of times already. However, after re- thinking a few facts, I have stumbled onto something that made me question the powers of our beloved antagonist.

As we all know, Dante is half- human but after looking back at the games, he actually might be more human than that. Genetically- speaking, you have to be human to produce human offspring. We can't reproduce with any other species of animal. In other words, for Sparda to have impregnated Eva, his DNA had to have been completely human. That's fine since he was in a human form when the two got together. However, how did his sons become half- demon?

In fact, do Demons have DNA? The better question is: do they even have a physical composition?

The answer would be no. In DMC 1, Dante doesn't have a Devil Trigger of his own. Instead, he is "possessed" by the forms of the Devil Arm he is holding. In DMC 3, his Devil Trigger changes with slight alterations depending on the Devil Arm he is wielding. In fact, Cerberus tells Dante to "take [his] soul" before changing into his weapon form. So, Demons are spirits and, naturally, won't have DNA.

So, what is the source of Dante's power? If his DNA is human and, therefore, won't have any special properties, why is he so strong? That answer might be magic. Most of his abilities are due to magic. For example, when he goes into his Devil Trigger state, he uses up magical energy, which may also include his regenerative abilities.

But what does this say about his strength? Well, it would mean that he's probably no stronger than a really well- built guy. His strength would be within human limits. That doesn't mean that none of the things he does is anything short of amazing. It does show how well of a magic user he is. Not only is he a weapons master but a magic master as well, being able to learn any form of magic he wants. And with that, he's still one of the coolest video game heroes out there.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
his powers are obviously magic but most of it doesn't seem to be under his control. the main effects of his demonic heritage are passive magical effects ( things that happen automatically) enhancing strength, speed, regeneration, etc. he seems to have very little knowledge of how to actively use magic ( ten years after we see Vergil use summoned swords Dante still hasn't figured it out). if you were to take away his demonic power he would have the strength of a normal human but with it he is naturally that strong. remember demons are not mages drawing on magical power to use spells. they are magical entities ( in essence living magic) their very existence violates the laws of physics so they wouldn't have any trouble violating a few more by moving in a way that isn't physically possible ( which would be any movement for a lot of them). and of course all of this applies to half demons (except they are only half impossible which only makes a difference if antimagic effects are involved)

oh and considering the fact that many demons are made entirely of inorganic materials it makes no sense to think that they would have DNA. their is also no reason to think they would need it to reproduce with humans since as i mentioned in the previous paragraph demons are magic, the laws of nature don't apply.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Well, if I remember correctly from the little biology I studied in elementary school, members of different species that are... you know, similar enough can reproduce, but their offspring is sterile. That's the case with horses and donkeys, for example. So it wouldn't be a problem for Sparda having children with Eva, but that poses problems with Dante and Vergil's fertility... Thus creating problems for the whole "Nero is Vergil's son" theory...
This is, talking from a purely scientifical standpoint.

Now, as darkslayer13 said, demons are magical creatures, and magic, as we know, breaks laws of physics (and biology too, I imagine) on a daily basis... :p

Railazel

their is also no reason to think they would need it to reproduce with humans since as i mentioned in the previous paragraph demons are magic, the laws of nature don't apply.

Now, as darkslayer13 said, demons are magical creatures, and magic, as we know, breaks laws of physics (and biology too, I imagine) on a daily basis... :p

But then what kind of magic allows them to give birth to human children? And why would that magic be necessary when they could just get human shells to impregnate women naturally? Sparda going through all that trouble just to gain a human form seems kind of redundant if he had a magical means of getting Eva pregnant.

Well, if I remember correctly from the little biology I studied in elementary school, members of different species that are... you know, similar enough can reproduce, but their offspring is sterile. That's the case with horses and donkeys, for example. So it wouldn't be a problem for Sparda having children with Eva, but that poses problems with Dante and Vergil's fertility... Thus creating problems for the whole "Nero is Vergil's son" theory...
This is, talking from a purely scientifical standpoint.

Scientifical?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Hey guys! Rai here with a bit of a controversial question. Well, not really "controversial" in the sense that we asked this question to ourselves a good number of times already. However, after re- thinking a few facts, I have stumbled onto something that made me question the powers of our beloved antagonist.

As we all know, Dante is half- human but after looking back at the games, he actually might be more human than that. Genetically- speaking, you have to be human to produce human offspring. We can't reproduce with any other species of animal. In other words, for Sparda to have impregnated Eva, his DNA had to have been completely human. That's fine since he was in a human form when the two got together. However, how did his sons become half- demon?

In fact, do Demons have DNA? The better question is: do they even have a physical composition?

The answer would be no. In DMC 1, Dante doesn't have a Devil Trigger of his own. Instead, he is "possessed" by the forms of the Devil Arm he is holding. In DMC 3, his Devil Trigger changes with slight alterations depending on the Devil Arm he is wielding. In fact, Cerberus tells Dante to "take [his] soul" before changing into his weapon form. So, Demons are spirits and, naturally, won't have DNA.

So, what is the source of Dante's power? If his DNA is human and, therefore, won't have any special properties, why is he so strong? That answer might be magic. Most of his abilities are due to magic. For example, when he goes into his Devil Trigger state, he uses up magical energy, which may also include his regenerative abilities.

But what does this say about his strength? Well, it would mean that he's probably no stronger than a really well- built guy. His strength would be within human limits. That doesn't mean that none of the things he does is anything short of amazing. It does show how well of a magic user he is. Not only is he a weapons master but a magic master as well, being able to learn any form of magic he wants. And with that, he's still one of the coolest video game heroes out there.

Nice theory and all but 2 things are wrong.

1. There have been many cases in mythology, folklore, and fiction of humans being impregnated by various magical creatures such as demons and angels and vice versa (such as a succubus seducing men in their sleep to have sex with them so they can obtain their sperm to get pregnant and give birth to a demon human hybrid cambions).

2. In the DMC3 manga it explains that the human and demon world were once one world until they split forming the human and demon world creating demons and humans (a fact strongly implied by Sanctus in DMC4 and hinted by Arius in DMC2). Meaning humans came from demons or their ancestry are linked indicating that humans and demons in DMC are like humans to monkeys in which they have a shared ancestry and maybe can mate (probably just demons who can get pregnant or reproduce in normal means or produce a form of fluid that contains DNA and can fertilize an egg of sorts or get fertilize by another sperm).

Demons like Echinda and Bael/Dagon aren't good choices to mate with humans since both have other methods of reproducing. Bael/Dagon is probably similar to how frogs can reproduce and I think demons varies like animals like there are various species of demons like Bael/Dagon species can't mate with Berial's, Echinda's, or Phantom's species. However, there are demons who exhibit human like traits...humanoid class like demons...and if they can produce sperm/eggs then they can mate with humans or obtain a humanoid like shape and form to do so.

Hence if you have a penis then you knock up a human.

As for Sparda taking on a human form....so in the DMC anime it shows that any.....or some demons can take on a physical human form.

However, Sparda is still a huge mystery.

Railazel

Nice theory and all but 2 things are wrong.

1. There have been many cases in mythology, folklore, and fiction of humans being impregnated by various magical creatures such as demons and angels and vice versa (such as a succubus seducing men in their sleep to have sex with them so they can obtain their sperm to get pregnant and give birth to a demon human hybrid cambions).

True that.

2. In the DMC3 manga it explains that the human and demon world were once one world until they split forming the human and demon world creating demons and humans (a fact strongly implied by Sanctus in DMC4 and hinted by Arius in DMC2). Meaning humans came from demons or their ancestry are linked indicating that humans and demons in DMC are like humans to monkeys in which they have a shared ancestry and maybe can mate (probably just demons who can get pregnant or reproduce in normal means or produce a form of fluid that contains DNA and can fertilize an egg of sorts or get fertilize by another sperm).

I thought about this but I wondered exactly how far the gene pools have split since related species would stop being able to reproduce with each other after a certain period of separation.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
True that.

I thought about this but I wondered exactly how far the gene pools have split since related species would stop being able to reproduce with each other after a certain period of separation.

I guess after the division of the 2 worlds new species of demons were born through various ways such as take Geryon from DMC3 it was just a regular horse or a majestic one until it was trapped in Temen-ni-Gru and the large exposure of demonic energy corrupted it and it mutated into a phantom time manipulator demon.

So basically this.

black_horse_running.jpg

Mutated into this.

260px-Geryon.gif
geryon.jpg

But if humans can turn themselves into demons. I don't think links between the humans and demons are that far aprt.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
But then what kind of magic allows them to give birth to human children? And why would that magic be necessary when they could just get human shells to impregnate women naturally? Sparda going through all that trouble just to gain a human form seems kind of redundant if he had a magical means of getting Eva pregnant.

Scientifical?
Scientific. I meant scientific, as in, not taking magic into account. Sorry. :p

As for magic, you don't always have to use magic willingly, I guess. Also, I'm not sure about Sparda WANTING to get Eva pregnant. It could have just...happened, as I said, thanks to some form of " non voluntary" magic, probably when Sparda was in human form (I hope so for Eva's sake...).
As for the kind of magic at work here, I'd say it could be some sort of magic that passed demonic traits on to the twins...

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
You gotta understand that these aren't the type of questions that could really be answered for a game that's all about killing demons with cool weapons and powers.

But for me, I think of it like this;

Sparda probably took the genes and bio-matrix of an actual human being and transfered that genetic code into his own body, including the organs, stems, bone structure, and sperm. However he didn't copy the human's sperm cells, but used them as a refference to create his gene pool of sperm cells to be able to produce a child that carries his human disguise likeness. As for the human he probobly killed, well maybe that human is what Sparda looked like and that's how Dante and Vergil turned out to look like as well. Hell, maybe Sparda didn't look like we all saw him. I mean the costume of Sparda is really just Dante so we still don't have 100% real proof as to what Sparda really looked like in his human form, but it's obvious he looked really close to his sons.

Now for Dante's strength, I do believe it's mostly 70% magic and the rest demon. For Dante to be this strong and only be a courter demon all ways did seem a bit redundant becuase if it really was all from his demon powers, he'd have to be more demon then human and he wouldn't even be holding his human form. Besides his white hair he looks comepletely human, with no real trace of demon on him. Dante's strength seems to come from a magical source either from his weapons or just from within himself, while all his demon strength lies either from his weapons until DMC4 were he can do it on his own, or an unawakened power that didn't awaken until after fighting Mundus and turning into his father's demon form. Either way I believe he relied on the Devil arms for his DT's up until DMC4 where he gains his own sentient form.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
You gotta understand that these aren't the type of questions that could really be answered for a game that's all about killing demons with cool weapons and powers.

But for me, I think of it like this;

Sparda probably took the genes and bio-matrix of an actual human being and transfered that genetic code into his own body, including the organs, stems, bone structure, and sperm. However he didn't copy the human's sperm cells, but used them as a refference to create his gene pool of sperm cells to be able to produce a child that carries his human disguise likeness. As for the human he probobly killed, well maybe that human is what Sparda looked like and that's how Dante and Vergil turned out to look like as well. Hell, maybe Sparda didn't look like we all saw him. I mean the costume of Sparda is really just Dante so we still don't have 100% real proof as to what Sparda really looked like in his human form, but it's obvious he looked really close to his sons.

Now for Dante's strength, I do believe it's mostly 70% magic and the rest demon. For Dante to be this strong and only be a courter demon all ways did seem a bit redundant becuase if it really was all from his demon powers, he'd have to be more demon then human and he wouldn't even be holding his human form. Besides his white hair he looks comepletely human, with no real trace of demon on him. Dante's strength seems to come from a magical source either from his weapons or just from within himself, while all his demon strength lies either from his weapons until DMC4 were he can do it on his own, or an unawakened power that didn't awaken until after fighting Mundus and turning into his father's demon form. Either way I believe he relied on the Devil arms for his DT's up until DMC4 where he gains his own sentient form.

why exactly would Sparda need to do something like that. magical entities with a human form and a non human form tend to be able to switch between them at will as a natural ability without needing to borrow a human body/ genetics.

Dante is as strong as he is as a half demon because his demon blood comes from the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda, the demon who fought the entirety of hell on his own to save the human world. there is no reason why he would have to be less human to be as strong as he is. Demons (or at least some of them) have a natural demon form and a human disguise. human/demon hybrids have a natural human form and a temporary demon form with increased power. it is not odd that a strong half demon would have a natural human form it's standard for the DMC universe.

the distinction between magic and demonic power is nonexistent. demonic power is magic. demonic physical forms are magic. demonic existence is magic.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
why exactly would Sparda need to do something like that. magical entities with a human form and a non human form tend to be able to switch between them at will as a natural ability without needing to borrow a human body/ genetics.

Dante is as strong as he is as a half demon because his demon blood comes from the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda, the demon who fought the entirety of hell on his own to save the human world. there is no reason why he would have to be less human to be as strong as he is. Demons (or at least some of them) have a natural demon form and a human disguise. human/demon hybrids have a natural human form and a temporary demon form with increased power. it is not odd that a strong half demon would have a natural human form it's standard for the DMC universe.

the distinction between magic and demonic power is nonexistent. demonic power is magic. demonic physical forms are magic. demonic existence is magic.

I would say Sparda probably did that in order to really gain a human form. It seems the case because he would need to somehow blend with the humans and therefore need a human to use as a disguise. Yes, there is the human and non human forms, but I usually think that they need a human to copy their genes from to take on a human appearence.

Yes, Dante is strong, but I feel it odd that he's stronger then his father who is fully demon while Dante's half demon. If Dante has a portion of the legendary Dark Knight's blood, then Sparda should still be the strongest of all and not Dante. Then again, Dante has killed his fair share of demon kings as well so I guess that's still goes without question. But still, I do find it odd that he's stronger then his own fully demon god teir father and Dante's only half demon half human.

True, but I assumed that if this was ever to be questioned in a scientic bio chemical statement, then I would assume genetic copying.

Railazel

BOOPITYBOP!

Now I feel sorry for Geryon but I see your point.

Scientific. I meant scientific, as in, not taking magic into account. Sorry. :p

No problem, man.

As for magic, you don't always have to use magic willingly, I guess. Also, I'm not sure about Sparda WANTING to get Eva pregnant.

Not wanting? Why would he not want to?

It could have just...happened

That would make for some good bit of comedy if we got to see Eva being pregnant for some magical reason.

S
As for the kind of magic at work here, I'd say it could be some sort of magic that passed demonic traits on to the twins...

That's what I was assuming when I was making this theory. That either Dante had demonic traits that were passed on through some magical means or his cells are infused with some form of demonic energy.

BLURBASMARGLE!

Considering that this a world of magic, I don't think you need to kill a person to get a human form.

As for Dante being stronger than his father, even though he's only half- demon, that's quite a conundrum and one that has different possible answers to it.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
there is a philosophy that over time, human souls spoil in hell and become corrupted, thus creating demons (like a disease). so demons are more human than you think. thereore, when sparda sealed the gate, though he sealed his power in hell, the "disease" was still in his DNA, so when he reproduced, he created two sons with the "disease". its like like sickle-cell (best example i could come up with:/). Sparda had the trait, and if bayonetta is correct (witches contain demon blood as well i believe) and eva was a witch then both dante and vergil were born with their powers

Railazel

there is a philosophy that over time, human souls spoil in hell and become corrupted, thus creating demons (like a disease). so demons are more human than you think. thereore, when sparda sealed the gate, though he sealed his power in hell, the "disease" was still in his DNA, so when he reproduced, he created two sons with the "disease".

Wait, how do you explain guys like Doppleganger who are just shadows? Or the weaker demons who just possess things like the spirits who possess Marionettes?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Wait, how do you explain guys like Doppleganger who are just shadows? Or the weaker demons who just possess things like the spirits who possess Marionettes?

the doppelganger are just reflections of the evil in ourselves in its most pure form. and the weaker demons are just beings with not enough power to manifest themselves into super powered beings and need a host to walk the world

Railazel

the doppelganger are just reflections of the evil in ourselves in its most pure form. and the weaker demons are just beings with not enough power to manifest themselves into super powered beings and need a host to walk the world

The point of the question was that, in DMC, Demons aren't born from Humans. Rather, both can change into the other, but a Demon isn't "another form of a Human" and neither is a Human "another form of Demon".

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
The point of the question was that, in DMC, Demons aren't born from Humans. Rather, both can change into the other, but a Demon isn't "another form of a Human" and neither is a Human "another form of Demon".

while we have seen humans become entirely demonic we haven't seen any demons become entirely human. they mostly seem to develop hearts ( which humans start out with but demons don't) while otherwise being the same as they were before.

IncarnatedDemon

Dante's source of strength is his herritage. He is son of Sparda. He isn't using anything magical.
I dont see Dante using any form of magic in DMC.

Gameplay do not count because gameplay is separate from the story.

Regeneration
Speed
Strength

All of it comes from the fact he is half demon.

If you want to talk about "another source", i could argument that Eva was some sort of witch.
Pause video at 5:18
See that symbol on floor? If the building Dante lives in is his childhood place, then that symbol on floor could be something from Eva.

Top Bottom