• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Problem With Royal Guard

Goldsickle

In this game, Royal Guard only nullifies damage. It doesn't knock the enemies off-balance, allowing you to get free hits.

This only occurred in DMC3 and I used it a lot when fighting Arachnes.

The only time I see Royal Guard staggering an enemy was a video where Dante can knock an Angelo knight off-balance if it tries to bash Dante with a shield.

Goldsickle

Well, that's what Release is there for, is it not?
Yeah but I like the added capability of staggering enemies.

This changes how you fight enemies like Arachnes & Fallen and there are even some secret maneuvers, like how you can stop Beowulf in his tracks by parrying his face if he charges at you (this can stop him from doing the stomp-and-kick-cages-your-way pattern).

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
Well I was never a big fan of Royal Guard style in DMC3, only upgraded it because I am big on completing 100% of games I've got.

So I only started to actually use royal guard decently on DMC4, since you were able to switch styles on the fly and it didn't get in the way of using other styles.

Bude8

I fail to see the logic here!
I think the gauge's maximum is a bit too big as well. You need to block quite a lot of attacks to make it full, but in DMC3 you need less. I think(?)

aoshi

In this game, Royal Guard only nullifies damage. It doesn't knock the enemies off-balance, allowing you to get free hits.

This only occurred in DMC3 and I used it a lot when fighting Arachnes.

The only time I see Royal Guard staggering an enemy was a video where Dante can knock an Angelo knight off-balance if it tries to bash Dante with a shield.

The reason of royal guard not having the advantages as in DMC 3 is cuz we have other 4 styles(including darkslayer) on the fly unlike DMC 3 which has only one style.

Which is why release is not as strong as DMC 3. It does sufficient damage but not as much as DMC 3.

Goldsickle

The reason of royal guard not having the advantages as in DMC 3 is cuz we have other 4 styles(including darkslayer) on the fly unlike DMC 3 which has only one style.

Which is why release is not as strong as DMC 3. It does sufficient damage but not as much as DMC 3.
It might also be because the developers were too lazy to include a "stagger back" animation for all the enemies...

For everything to work in games like this, they need animations for those.

The Scarecrows for example, have a "damaged while lying down" animation, which is why they stay lying down when you hit them.

The Angelo Knights don't, so if you hit them while lying down, they automatically stand up when damaged.

Top Bottom