• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Divine Comedy of DmC

What do you think of my theory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
"Don't f*** with a god" I'd imagine that's how this new version of vergil would sound.
(first time i've watched that video too).
Plus, i love the song on that video.

Perhaps Vergil wants Dante to defeat.. i dunno... someone important, then Vergil would betray Dante... (hand him over to the demons). So i suppose i'm saying maybe Vergil is setting him up.
vergil setting dante up sounds intresting but not something vergil would do but then again it is a reboot of the series much of it is different

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Dante is known as a "sexual deviant" and a terrorist. We know why he is known as a terrorist, though. So, since that mystery has been solved, I want to turn attention to sexual deviance. Could this translate to Lust? Notice how the default demons resemble women. Could they be representatives of Lust?

Lust is also the second ring of hell in the Divine Comedy. Dante, with his sexual deviance and all, might just be on the border of crossing into that realm and the mannequin-type enemies might symbolize this.

But why, then, do other demons appear? I'm thinking they simply just cross by later on.

Now, I am going to bring Limbo and Lust together.
In the Divine Comedy, Lust is bright and constantly windy, swaying you about. Could Limbo in DmC, constantly shifting and making you readjust, be Lust with a different name?
This part alone is ridiculous, Lust, in the Divine Comedy, is more than just "Windy" It's an eternal tornado representing the raging storm of sexual desire. One of the few things EA got true to the poem was the circles of hell and Lust was the one they got most accurate, I remember both interpretations, the awesome poem, and ****ty game.

ZeroLove

Nice and interesting theories, Verzild. I have gotten the overall feeling of Ninja Theory wanting to bring more of the Divine Comedy into this new Devil May Cry game than there was in the original series. The past trailers shows how the demon propaganda attempts to pull through the 7 Cardinal Sins, such as Gluttony (the fat guy), Vanity (the poster with the hot model) and Lust (like you mention, Dante being called a "sexual deviant") and it also looks like the city is in more layers, like Hell is made of several circles.

Domenic93

tameem said that it isn't going to be based on the inferno or divine comedy. it's going to be based on don kehoti and the Canterbury tales

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
This part alone is ridiculous, Lust, in the Divine Comedy, is more than just "Windy" It's an eternal tornado representing the raging storm of sexual desire. One of the few things EA got true to the poem was the circles of hell and Lust was the one they got most accurate, I remember both interpretations, the awesome poem, and ****ty game.
A tornado is windy. I know it represents how we are swayed by sexual desire. I just said windy because...well tornadoes make wind. I'm sorry I didn't choose to say "raging tornado". Synonyms be synonyms.
yup but that dosent entirely mean that vergil guides dante in the game and from what i remember in the divine comedy is that dante asked that if vergil could help him in any way in hell but vergil said that he was just a spirit and even if he tried he couldnt do anything in hell because he wasnt capable the same thing we see in kat she is like a ghost in limbo only to guide dante and she herself cant interact to it she is more like vergil of the devine comedy in the game.

oh and i just remembered i dont understand how you relate limbo to lust as both are two different circles of hell.
They're two different circles, but Limbo is the first circle and Lust is the second. Taking it literally, that means they're right on top of each other. It would be easy for anything from Lust to bleed over to Limbo, if you take it as a literal thing.
Of course, the Divine Comedy is all allegorical and my way of seeing it is not what Dante Algheri wrote.
And I forgot to mention that DmC Dante is living. My theory is that he's going into Limbo and no place else because he's still alive. Kill him, though, and he can go to any place in hell he has to.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
A tornado is windy. I know it represents how we are swayed by sexual desire. I just said windy because...well tornadoes make wind. I'm sorry I didn't choose to say "raging tornado". Synonyms be synonyms.

They're two different circles, but Limbo is the first circle and Lust is the second. Taking it literally, that means they're right on top of each other. It would be easy for anything from Lust to bleed over to Limbo, if you take it as a literal thing.
Of course, the Divine Comedy is all allegorical and my way of seeing it is not what Dante Algheri wrote.
And I forgot to mention that DmC Dante is living. My theory is that he's going into Limbo and no place else because he's still alive. Kill him, though, and he can go to any place in hell he has to.
But there is also another hole in this theory, yes Dante went to Limbo in the book, however, demons do not reside in limbo in La Divina Comedia, as there is nothing to torture, Limbo is for atheist who's punishment is merely being denied Heaven

Dante47

But there is also another hole in this theory, yes Dante went to Limbo in the book, however, demons do not reside in limbo in La Divina Comedia, as there is nothing to torture, Limbo is for atheist who's punishment is merely being denied Heaven
Of course, but it be boring if Dante went around killing dead Atheists... Devil May Cry has always been connected to Christianity, but there are parts that aren't going to be in it. So this theory of it loosely being based around The Divine Comedy still makes sense.
Also, I found my copy of The Divine Comedy. I'll start reading it.

Vezild

My theory is that certain elements are inspired or taken from The Divine Comedy, not that it is going to be exact. Like Dante47 said, it'd be boring if all's you were doing was killing athiests.

Dante47

I'm thinking that Vergil's (Virgil's) role will be similar to The Divine comedy, where he is an ally rather than a antagonist.
Also, Mundus could be in another "layer" of the world, as in another Circle of Hell from The Divine Comedy.

Vezild

I'm thinking that Vergil's (Virgil's) role will be similar to The Divine comedy, where he is an ally rather than a antagonist.
Also, Mundus could be in another "layer" of the world, as in another Circle of Hell from The Divine Comedy.
What if Mundus is Lucifer? :O

BossViper28

I guess so though the original Devil May Cry series (not DmC, the reboot) was actually inspired by the Divine Comedy.

Meg

Thread has been dead for nine years. Please do not revive but instead make a new one. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom