• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Demon Inside

hamshanks

Apprentice of Doom
okay, this isnt really a fan fic, but it's a story about a demon hunter, DMC inspired me to write this, and im going to continue writing more

“The Demon Inside”

Prologue
If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were only necessary to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being, and who is willing to destroy his own heart?

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Do we make ourselves evil? Or does evil grow inside of us? Few people acknowledge this, and even fewer make the choice between good and evil. The choice was forced upon me…

My name is Victor, but everyone knows me as “The Apprentice of Doom.” I should probably rephrase that, everyone knew me as “The Apprentice of Doom”… everyone who knew me as “The Apprentice of Doom” were all slain by my hands.
I became a demon slayer at a young age, seventeen to be exact. By the time I was eighteen I had killed over sixty demons, I was off to a good start.
When I was nineteen I met a man who called himself Vincent, he told me of a league of demons, set on destroying the world, and rebuilding it in their image.
I was glad to learn this information, but little did I know that it would send me down a path of evil and hatred…

Chapter One
London, ON, Canada
May 13th, 2008

The church bells rang as I watched the rain run from the roof of the church, I realized I had been standing in the rain in front of the church for over an hour and decided to go home.
I lived alone in a scummy apartment for the time being. My apartment wasn’t much, but it was all I had.
My family had deserted me when I was only sixteen. One day I woke up to an empty house, the only thing left was one of my father’s swords. He called the sword “Merciless.” I never knew what my father meant by it when he named it, nor did I care to ask.
When I was a child my father taught me how to wield a sword. He was constantly adding acrobatics into the lessons, telling me that more agile and acrobatic I was the better swordsman I would be.
That day I put the house up for sale and sold it within a week. I used that money to get my first apartment. I lived in that apartment for two months and not so much as one person bothered me.
It was my seventeenth birthday, and for the first time in my life I felt truly lonely. It was the first birthday I had ever spent alone. All my life I was accustomed to knowing too many people to handle, more relatives than I could ever name, more friends than necessary, and now, no one…
I wasn’t alone though, out of the corner of my eye I saw a sword coming toward me. I jumped back and grabbed Merciless off of my wall.
I looked the man up and down; he was a cloaked figure with bright glowing eyes and the left side of his face looked as though it was melting off; it looked like he hadn’t slept in years and; I could see bone through the skin on his hands. These were the only parts of him that were visible
“I was told to give you a present,” he said, “hope I’m not late for the party!”
I swung my sword around and replied, “the party’s just begun!”
He swung and I dodged right. He left an opening right at his heart. I stabbed him through the chest and he just stood there, stood there and laughed. He walked towards me, pushing the blade through him more, right to the hilt.
“You can’t kill me boy,” he said, “for I am already dead!”
“We’ll see about that.” I replied. I pulled the blade out and we continued fighting.
“Why do you try when you know that death is imminent? This is a battle you cannot win,” he said.
On that note he cut my arm. I put my hand over the wound, then took it off to look at it. The wound was healing right before my very eyes. I was shocked at this, so shocked I didn’t notice the blade coming towards me. He stabbed me in the stomach; I fell down and looked at my stomach as the wound healed itself.
“Kill me, I dare you!” I said it him.
He lunged at me and stabbed me through the temple, blood was spilled everywhere, but yet I still lived.
“Why won’t you die?” he asked.
“Because you can’t kill what won’t die.” I replied.
“You… you are not human!” he shouted.
And on that I stabbed him and threw him on the floor.
“What are you?” again he asked.
“Me? I’m a wandering soul searching for a purpose; I’m a lone wolf searching for a family; and today, I’m your worst nightmare!”
I cut off his head and watched as his decapitated body burned. I took Merciless and all my money and ran to a different town.

That was two years ago today, but I still remember it like it was yesterday. He was the first demon I killed, but surely not the last. I moved around a lot after that, if I lived in a place for too long, demons would surely find me and try to kill me.

As I walked away from the church in the pouring rain, I heard a faint sound. I listened harder. It sounded like someone said my name, and all of a sudden, as if they were speaking into my ear I heard it again. “Victor…” I turned and saw no one.
As I walked back to my apartment I kept a watchful eye and ear for anything out of the ordinary, yet nothing was amiss.
I walked into my apartment and locked the door. I took off my coat then turned all the way around. I was standing face to face with a man who had a shaved head, pale skin, and blood red eyes.
“Hello Victor,” he said, “my name is Vincent.”
“How do you know my name?”
“That’s not relevant, I have come to you today because I have a job for you, this job…” he began
“I’ll tell you what’s relevant and what’s not. You come into my home without my permission you can’t even answer a simple question?”
“Alright, but this really isn’t necessary. You see, I’m searching for a demon hunter, not just any demon hunter however, I need a demon hunter of high caliber. I have been following you for two years now, each time I get to one of your places of residence you’ve moved on. My search brought me here. I asked around in the local pub for a demon hunter and everyone thought I was crazy, except for one man. This man, Ronald I do believe, brought me to a man he called the “All Knowing One.” This “All Knowing One” told me of a demon slayer who traveled from town to town, seeking more demons to kill. He told me that the demon slayer’s name was Victor. That’s how I found you. Now do you have any more questions or can we get to business?”
“No, no more questions, you can make yourself at home if you’d like,” I said.
He replied, “really? No more questions? Here I am intruding on your property and you don’t want to know anything more about me?”
“Trust me,” I said, “a lot weirder things have happened before. I’m going to get a drink, you want one?”
“Yes please.”
I returned a minute later with two beers. I handed him one.
“Oh, no thank you, I find that the taste of beer is one much to bitter for me.” He said.
“Suit yourself,” I opened my beer and took a mouthful, “let’s get down to the matter at hand, what’s the job?” I said.
“There is an organization called “Apocalypse’s Horsemen,” it is an organization consisted of demons. They are intent on destroying the world and rebuilding it in their image. I need you to kill them all.”
“Sounds interesting,” I said, “but how much does it pay?”
“The pay is a set rate of two hundred thousand Canadian dollars.” He replied.
“When do I start?”

hamshanks

Apprentice of Doom
Chapter Two
The Isle of Man, 150 Km West of York, England
May 17th, 2008

I stood outside of a castle on the Isle of Man, plotting a way to get inside to kill the demons. I wanted to do this as quietly as possible, with very little damage to me.
I found it odd that an organization of demons’ headquarters was on the Isle of Man, but I wasn’t going to question their reason for it. Kill them now, ask questions later I always say.
As I was planning my way in, someone spotted me. I ran towards him with blinding speed and disposed of him before he could yell to sound the alarm.
Ever since that first demon I killed, I’ve gained superhuman powers: my superhuman strength allowed me to jump to far and high distances. It also allowed me to break down rocks and walls with a single punch; my keen senses allowed me to hear, smell, and see things that a normal human wouldn’t be able to; my reaction time became extremely enhanced, almost like a “bullet-time” reaction and; I gained supernatural powers, like controlling fire, and being able to create pure energy that I could use to kill others.
As I threw the guard’s body into a bush, I heard, “sound the alarm! Intruder!”
“**** it,” I said, “no need to be quiet now, my cover’s blown!”
As the guards all approached me, they raised their guns up to my head.
“Drop the weapon sir.” One of them said.
“Yeah, drop the sword, wanker!” Said another.
“Guys, guys, can’t we come to some sort of diplomatic agreement? I didn’t come here to hurt you, I just wanted to ask you all something.”
“Yeah? Well speak up, we aven’t got all day.” Said the second guard.
“I just wanted to know whether you guys wanted to be cremated or buried?”
“Cremated or…” The first guard started.
“Cremated?” I interrupted, “that can be arranged!” And on that I used my power to control fire to burn them all to death.
With the guards all disposed of, I walked up to the front doors, broke them down and burst in. Not to my surprise there were hundreds of demons inside waiting for me.
“You all ready to play a little game?” I said. I killed all the demons in the hall, then went to killing every single demon in the building. All the demons were dead, except for two. I entered into a ballroom and found two demons sitting on thrones.
“Hello Victor, we’ve been waiting for you.” Said the man.
“Yes,” said the woman, “we’ve been waiting a long time for you.”
“How do you know my name?” I replied.
“It’s only been three years and you don’t remember us?” said the woman.
“Answer the question! How do you know my name?” I angrily replied.
“Come and join us son.” Said the man.
“I said answer…” my voice trailed off, “son? No, it’s impossible, my parents were humans!”
“No, we’re not, we can just take the form of humans.” Said the man; they then changed into humans.
By this point my anger had built up into a fiery rage, I slaughtered them. I made sure that there was nothing left of them incase they could regenerate like I could.
“Congratulations,” I heard a familiar voice say behind me. “You have single handedly killed every single demon in here.”
“Vincent, I thought you were going to wait for me to return at the hotel?” I said as I turned around to see him
“I was going to, but I felt as though it would be more proper to congratulate you here. Quite the mess you have made here I see.”
“Were those really…” I started.
“Your parents?” he finished, “yes they were, and I’m ever so sorry that you had to find that out this way. I see by the looks of it you are becoming quite the demon yourself.”
“What do you mean”
“Go look in the mirror over to your left.” He replied
What I saw in the mirror was a horrific sight, he was right; I was becoming a demon. My eyes were a blood red, and my teeth had started to get pointed ends, and it looked as though I hadn’t slept in years.
“I… I just… I just thought that all the powers I’d obtained were all powers from demons that I had killed…” I said.
“Oh, and rightfully so. One would come to that conclusion when they believe that they are human.”
“Who are you?” I asked.
“I thought that you didn’t care who I was? Remember when we were in your apartment? I gave you the chance to know who I am, but you turned it down.” he replied
“Yeah I remember” I snapped, “but now I want to know who you are.”
“Very well, my name is Sir Lord Vincent Abaddon the 12th, I am the lord of Cumbria. I preside in the Armathwaite Castle. My family has had generations upon generations of knights, dating back to the year 1157. Is there anymore knowledge you would like to acquire about me or my family?”
“No, that about covers it.” I said, “give me my money and I’ll be on my way.”
“Yes, the money, here it is.” He handed me an envelope full of two hundred thousand Canadian dollars. “Thank you for ridding the world of this nuisance.”
“Hey, I have to live here too, right? I’m not going to let demons rule the world.” I said as I walked out of the room.

Chapter Three
Vancouver, BC, Canada
February 2nd, 2009

Once again I stood outside of a church, watching the snow fall from the sky. I’d been outside all night, and I had no intention of going in anytime soon.
The Shocking news about my parents sent me into a suicidal state; funny thing was I couldn’t die. I lived only for the rush of the kill, and I became a slave to my anger.
Demonic headhunters constantly attacked me, and I always killed them. For this reason, I carried Merciless everywhere I went. It wasn’t so much with me all the time, because that would attract attention, as it was in a different dimension. I had learned the ability to conceal my sword when not needed in a different dimension, and I could “unsheathe” it at any point in time.
Another ability I had learned was to become a demon. This demon form increased the strength of all my powers and all my abilities were at a heightened level. I didn’t use this demon form very often, because I hadn’t yet learned to control it. Most of the time when I used this form, it controlled me. I only used this form when it was absolutely necessary.
Vincent had given me several more contracts over the past 10 months. Each time the contract was harder, and in exchange I got more money.
I was constantly asking Vincent about himself, and he always obliged to tell me, but I still felt as if there was something he wasn’t telling me. Something dark and evil about him, I could feel it in my soul.
I had been outside the church for 10 hours, just standing there, listening to the bells and watching people as they walked by. I decided it was time to go home, get a good rest incase any hell spawns decided to attack me tomorrow.

Chapter Four
Vancouver, BC, Canada
February 3rd, 2009

I awoke the next morning to find Vincent in my living room watching soccer.
“How can you watch this crap?” I asked, “all they do is pass the ball around and fake injuries.”
“Do you suppose you could do any better?” He asked.
“Yeah, I could run circles around these guys, you know that.”
“Yes, I suppose you could.”
“So what contract do you have for me today?” I asked him.
“Oh, no contract today old sport. I just figured today we could, as you North Americans say, ‘Hang Out.’” He replied.
“Sorry, I don’t ‘Hang Out,’ I’m a demon slayer, not an entertainer.”
“Well I just figured that today would be a good day for two friends to spend the day together.” He said.
“I don’t see us as friends, we’re business partners, and nothing more.” I snapped.
“Well, I’m going to ‘Hang Out’ with you whether you like it or not”
I sat down on the couch. “Who’s playing?” I asked.
“England is facing Germany today.” He replied.
“Who’s winning?” I asked.
“Those filthy Kraut *******s are winning four to one.” He replied
“I’m going to make some coffee, you want some?”
“I’ll take a tea if you don’t mind. I find the taste of coffee is much too strong.” He said
“So you don’t like beer, and you don’t like coffee. God you British people are ****ed up.” I said as I walked into the kitchen.
I came out with the coffee and tea and sat with Vincent. We watched the rest of the game; England ended up winning five to four, which got Vincent pretty excited.
“Let us go out to the local pub to celebrate, I’ll buy” Vincent said.
“Well, as long as you’re paying.”
We went out to Sam’s Tavern, a bar just down the street from my apartment. We were having scotch and I was actually having a really good time with Vincent, I got to know him a lot better than I would if I were just accepting contracts with him. When we walked into the bar we both noticed a man in a large trench coat. The entire time we’d been drinking he’d been watching us, and he got out of his seat and came over.
“I hear you are a merchant of death, Victor.” He said to me.
Vincent and I noticed now that he was a demon, but he hid it very well.
“Who wants to know? You looking for a demon slayer, or are you looking to kill a demon slayer?” I replied
“I wish to kill you Victor. I will tear you limb from limb and bring what’s left of you to claim the bounty.” He said.
“Well if it’s a fight you want, then you’ve…” I looked over as Vincent pulled a katana out of nowhere, cut off the demon’s head, wiped the blade clean and concealed the weapon again in a matter of seconds. I noticed something about Vincent there, he looked much older, and I could feel evil in his heart. As quickly as he had changed, he changed back and looked normal, or as normal as Vincent could ever look, again.
This is the day I first realized that my suspicions about there being evil in Vincent’s heart were true. I wouldn’t rest until I found out what his true intentions were.

hamshanks

Apprentice of Doom
Chapter Five
Milwaukee, WI, U.S.A.
May 13th, 2009

“Come out, come out, wherever you are,” said a demon headhunter, “today is the day you die.”
“Shut the **** up!” I replied
“You insignificant wretch! I’ll make sure that you never die, so I can keep inflicting pain upon you”
“I dare you to try”
I was in a run-down old steel factory. I had done some sleuthing and realized that there were demons inhabiting this factory, using the old equipment to create weapons like swords, scythes, and war hammers. I had taken them all out except for one.
Suddenly I caught a glimpse of the demon out of a shattered piece of mirror on the ground. I picked up the mirror shard and threw it in his direction. All of a sudden he let out a blood-curdling screech and I knew I hit him.
“Tag, you’re it.” I said.
“I’ve had quite enough of this game, we end this now.” He replied.
I stood out in the open and the demon started running for me, he thought he was going to kill me. Little did he know that Vincent had snuck into the building and was waiting for the demon to expose himself.
Vincent saw his chance and struck the demon, slicing him in two with his katana, which I had learned earlier was named “Spinetail.”
“Thanks for the help,” I said, “it wouldn’t have been as fun without you.”
“Not a problem, a good demon killing always lightens up the day.” He replied.
I started to walk away and Vincent said something that hit me hard.
“You’re still torn up about finding out your parents were demons, aren’t you? Your mother was a whore, but it’s your father you remind me of. He was a bloodthirsty killer.”
I turned around and jumped behind him. I landed low and swung my leg to take out his legs, stood up, and put my sword to his throat.
“Those monsters weren’t my parents!” I said.
“Were your parents not monsters though? Leaving you to fend for yourself at the age of sixteen, and sent a demon headhunter to kill you on your seventeenth birthday.”
“You’re not really in the position to be offending me, you know. I am the one who has a sword to your throat. Now explain to me how you know that.” I said.
“I lied to you,” he replied, “I’ve been watching you long before you became a demon slayer. For you see, your parents chose me for the very important task of raising you when they weren’t around. I’m your godfather.”
“**** you,” I said, “where were you when I was on my own then?”
“As I told you when we first met, you’re a very hard person to track down, every time I had reached a place where you were living you had already moved.”
I sheathed my sword and walked away.
“You can’t hide from the truth forever you know, your parents were demons. Soon enough your inner demons will come out and eventually destroy your mind.” He said.
“Ha, inner demons. My inner demon came out and started destroying my life that night I killed everyone in Apocalypse’s Horsemen.” I said as I walked out the building.

Top Bottom