• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The 4 voices of Dante

Which voice was/ is the best to you?

• Drew Coombs (DMC1)

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Matthew Kaminsky (DMC2)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Reuben Langdon (DMC3, DMC4)

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tim Phillipps (DmC)

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
This is a little look at the many voices of Dante of the past games. I don't have much info on them (No info at all actually) but here are some pics of each one.

Drew Coombs (DMC1, Veiwtiful Joe)
images
images

Matthew Kaminsky (DMC2, Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's call)

images
images

Reuben Langdon (DMC3, DMC anime, DMC4, MvC3)
images
images
images

Tim Phillipps (DmC, Playstation All stars (possibly) )
images
images

Here's my thoughts;
Out of all the voices I actually enjoyed Drew Coombs the most. He had the deep and rough voice that seemed to fit Dante's character of a cool badass guy. Sure he screwed up on the "light" scene, but he was still my most favorite voice for Dante.

Matthew was alright, but he wasn't really given much lines for us to see because of Dante not talking a lot in DMC2. However, DMC2 Dante did have some lines that were good and I think Matthew presented them rather well.

Reuben was great in DMC3, but I never really felt that same feeling in DMC4 or the anime. In the anime, Reuben sounded tired and his words drag on, making Dante sound kind of older then he really is. In DMC4, he sounded like a 30 year old trying to be a fifteen year old again, and that didn't feel as cool as he was in DMC3. MvC was good cause he sounded energized from the get-go, plus it's a fighting game so you gotta sound energized.

Tim Phillipps is doing pretty well too. He's Australlian and his pronunciation of an AmMerican accent is really on point. However, there are some words that he still has his Australlian accent poking out, like when he said "But you can call me Dante the demon killer, has a nice ring to it, donya think?" I know it's probably spelled wrong but if you listen really close you can hear it. And if you listen to him in the Captivate demo when he's running through Limbo city while it's being destroyed, when he says, "Sh*t, that doesn't sound good!" He also pronounces it in his accent a bit. Either way, I like him, and I'm sure he'll do fine.

So yeah,

COMMENCE CONVERSATION!!

Dante47

Reuben Langdon and Tim Phillips for me are the best. If there is a Devil May Cry 5, then I'd love to see Reuben come back to the role. Although, Tim is doing a great job too, and I hope he will also return for DmC2 if there is one.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
This is a little look at the many voices of Dante of the past games. I don't have much info on them (No info at all actually) but here are some pics of each one.

Drew Coombs (DMC1, Veiwtiful Joe)
images
images

Matthew Kaminsky (DMC2, Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's call)

images
images

Reuben Langdon (DMC3, DMC anime, DMC4, MvC3)
images
images
images

Tim Phillipps (DmC, Playstation All stars (possibly) )
images
images

So yeah,

COMMENCE CONVERSATION!!
I picked Reuben because even though Dante sounded pretty obnoxious in DMC3 he sounded well great in DMC4, the anime, and even his MvC3 voice of his DMC3 counterpart sounded better than his DMC3 voice.

However I say Tim Phillips is second and in terms of looks Tim Phillips....no homo....

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I dont think Coombs and Kaminsky were given a lot to work with so i would like to see them do a different character for DMC to see how they go.

Well phillips is still unproven as Dante as his game hasnt come out yet so its Langdon for right now.

Dante47

I think Coombs was given a great deal to work with. He botched a lot of lines.
"I should have been the one to full your dark soul with LIGHT!"

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Drew Coombs for me too. I love Reuben and totally think of him as part of Dante after seeing Dante and hearing his voice into 2 games and the anime, but nothing beats "Let's Rock Baby" or "Silence!" the way Drew says it.

I agree with DragonMaster, Mathew too was great, but he had the least lines so yeah whatever, a bit unfair for him.

Tim voices an entirely new character, so I'm not even comparing him. I suppose he is good enough.

Meg

It depends. I loved Reuben in DMC3. I think he did a great job as a younger Dante. However, in DMC4 the same voice didn't fit. He's supposed to be older, so I'd prefer if he sounded more mature. I guess that's more that director than Reuben though.

I loved Drew in the first game. I thought he didn't really well given the sometimes poor dialogue he had to work with. ;)

berto

I Saw the Devil
Coombs, by far. It like listening to your favorite song been song by someone else, it just not the same, and, honestly? I hate Capcom for doing this, for showing so little regard for continuety.

I know people can't get over the light but one line isn't really a deal braker. On the other hand I really hard time with Langdon in the anime; it sounded almost asmthic how he took breaths in mid sentence or mid word.

sylvanas

One Hell of a Member
Yeah my favorite DMC voice actor is...

Johnny_Yong_Bosch.jpg

This guy's my favorite too. He also did Ichigo Kurosaki's voice from bleach too and i think he's done an outstanding job. Applause to this guy.
Anyway i prefer reuben langdon for dante's voice cause it suits his character. The first voice actor was not so good for me, the second one, i can't really say cause well dante didn't say much. I think the DmC guy is pretty alright but Reuben is the best!

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

reuben langdon for me....he was born to be the voice of dante hands down!!.....and my second would be Johnny Yong Bosch...he did a pretty good job with nero although he isnt in the list :p..:)

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
This guy's my favorite too. He also did Ichigo Kurosaki's voice from bleach too and i think he's done an outstanding job. Applause to this guy.
Anyway i prefer reuben langdon for dante's voice cause it suits his character. The first voice actor was not so good for me, the second one, i can't really say cause well dante didn't say much. I think the DmC guy is pretty alright but Reuben is the best!

GEEZZ!!! Why is that when people think Johnny Yong Bosch how come the first thing that comes to mind is freaking Ichigo from Bleach?! Why can't they ever think about his other roles like the Black Power Ranger from the first Power Ranger series or Izaya from Durarara!! or something else!?!?!

I'm sick an tired of the Bleach jokes used for DMC4 & Nero.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
GEEZZ!!! Why is that when people think Johnny Yong Bosch how come the first thing that comes to mind is freaking Ichigo from Bleach?! Why can't they ever think about his other roles like the Black Power Ranger from the first Power Ranger series or Izaya from Durarara!! or something else!?!?!

I'm sick an tired of the Bleach jokes used for DMC4 & Nero.

With Nero its easy to see why people would invite comparisons between him and Ichigo. I would say the comparisons between Orihime and Kyrie are stronger because Stephanie Sheh has less range.

But JYB is pretty good and on par with Yuri lowthenlal.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
With Nero its easy to see why people would invite comparisons between him and Ichigo. I would say the comparisons between Orihime and Kyrie are stronger because Stephanie Sheh has less range.

But JYB is pretty good and on par with Yuri lowthenlal.

Yuri is pretty good but he has his suckish days like his role as Patrokolos in Soul Calibur V as far as I'm concern JYB nailed all of his roles pretty well.....even if Neogamespark is right about sounded almost the same in all his role or having no diversity in his roles.

Top Bottom