• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Suggestion: Separate RP subforum

moseslmpg

This may have been suggested before. I was wondering if it wasn't feasible to give all RP threads and other fiction threads that require user interaction their own subforum in the fanfic section. Bear with me, because although my reasoning is a bit selfish, I believe it is sound.

I suggest this because first of all, RP threads invite constant interaction and thus are almost always bumped to the top of the page. And this pushes all of the actual fics, especially finished ones, to the bottom of the page, where they don't get the credit they may or may not deserve. The point is that more effort on the part of the fic uploader is not rewarded.

I'm not sure of the disadvantages of having a separate RP subforum, but it does seem to have advantages. You could have a universal thread for character intros, for one thing. And...other stuff. I don't know what RP entails, so I don't know...

But anyway, is this reasonable? If not, feel free to delete the thread.

Meg

Personally I think that is a great idea. Its true RPs are almost always at the top. And there are so many of them to. :wacko: And the fact that a lot of them have nothing to do with DMC also adds to the annoyance since, as Ms. Chloe likes to complain about, this her is a DMC site! People wanna read DMC fics. Very good idea. I hope its put into effect. :)

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Well, this has been brought up in the past but we've seen no real reason to implement it as there was no real RP activity back then, however, now it may be something worth considering, I'll bring it up with the rest of the staff and we'll see what happens.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
For what it's worth, I second this idea.

It's incredibly confusing when a new submission is added and you go into it and you don't know what the heck it is, because the thread starter didn't put RP in the title. It's not something you can just assume - some people collaborate on a fic in the fashion of one person posts, then the next, then the first. Which is what I thought Resa and DT's one thread was, and then I was told it's an open RP.

And I think Credo already made a sticky thread where everyone can go post their character profiles because the board was just overrun with character bios.

Anyway. Yeah. I complain a lot about the lack of DMC fics. I mean if you're on a DMC forum but you have to put DMC Fic in your title so everyone knows it's focused on devil may cry...yeah, it's pretty sad. And lame! Want more DMC fics!!!!!!

Meg

^ Don't worry, Chloe! I'm gonna do my part. I'm not gonna post anymore not DMC stories and the RP I started has DMC characters. AND! I'm making Dante the world's worst babysitter. Mwahahaha!

moseslmpg

Ah, I'm relieved. I thought this would have been shot down instantly, since I don't do the RPs and I do have a conflict of interest with two fics on the forum >_>

But anyway, yeah, there are a lot of non-DMC fics here, which is fine I suppose. But I can never tell which is which. Alas.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Perhaps a good idea would be to make a sub-forum for RPs, and then make another sub-forum for original/non-DMC fics.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
DSC has this set up (as Chloe will also tell you). It is more efficient and 'neater'.
We have separate forums for art, fan fics and RP's.

So, i agree.

Vampi

I agree with this as well. There's alot of non-dmc fan fiction in that forum. And also, RP's are pretty much sumthing that should happen in a Visitor's message board or sumthing or a Club activity. Too bad sum great fics get bogged down to the 2nd page cause of sum RP.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
What's wrong with RPs having their own threads? There aren't even THAT many RPs there... But I know what the point was. RPs aren't a big problem, it's the non DMC fanfics there. Which I have several of, so I will not say I'm not guilty of posting a few here.

I think it's not a bad thing for other people to post their original/non-DMC fanfiction works, because at the end of the day, if people still enjoy the writing, what was the big problem in the first place?

Vampi

The problem is that RP's (from what i've read) are only between 2 or 3 people (i don't know if that's the norm. But i don't see it being very popular or alot of new people joining in. Its mostly between 1 or 2 people who just spout dialogue without anything consistant and with no goal towards).

Mind you, a fan fic that's DMC related (mind you this is a DMC forum not fanfiction.net or whatever where the theme is not really that important) are bogged down a lil by the RP's or the non-dmc fics.

I'm not saying RP's are bad. But they really need to have their own forum about RP's solely or Non-DMC related fics.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I can't help but feel that this is my fault.:( The point of RPs was to develop our characters and get to 'know' them better for our own original works. But character development can't take place without conflict, and since a lot of people were too proud to let their saint-like character become an antagonist, or even side with the bad guys for a page or two...I mean BAD GUY, since there was only ONE...everyone was having tea and eating pizza and playing buddy buddy. THAT'S why my RP failed and why I lost interest.
Which is a pity because we had a real good plot to follow with plenty of opportunity for fights/conflict/growth.
And the point was to include everyone so no one feels left out, hence all the time I put into drafting up set rules for the RP AND consequences for breaching those rules. You NEED rules when you're working with a big group of people.

I don't know when these private roleplays started up or why it was posted in the Fanfic board, because nobody is going to want to read it if they can't join in. And as I've told Nic, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I tend to think I've done something wrong or feel that I'm not that good at it when people do private RPs. I guess I just don't like the exclusion factor much. I mean really guys, if it's a RP between two people then take it up via PM or something.

Anyways, I really regret ever putting the RP thing out here in the first place. It's snowballed in the wrong direction.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Now see, the only problem with keeping RPs in the VMs is the character limit. If that wasn't there, it'd be fine, but... Yeah.

EDIT: I've created an RP group to alleviate this which you can find here.

http://forums.devilmaycry.org/group.php?groupid=186

This is for general RPs. Private, public, what have you. Original/non-DMC fanfiction is welcome as well.

moseslmpg

To be clear: My suggestion was only because RPs require constant interaction and are thus constantly bumped up to the top, which pushes all fics, which tend to be static in nature, to the bottom.

Non-DMC fics are not so much of an issue IMO. There's no need to make any judgments about RP or fics or whatnot, as this is purely a logistical issue, and basically, an issue of fairness.

This is no one's fault, of course, and I don't think a user group is really necessary, because not everyone will know about it. That is why I suggested a simple subforum in the Fanfic section. That woul afford everyone more fredom IMO, and open up the possibilities of RPing, or even creating a online DMC text RPG (I was involved in one myself, but alas, at a less active board than this one). That would be interesting I think.

Top Bottom