• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Stupidity: Ban tv's in kids bedrooms

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Tony, I agree to an extent but that doesn't really point out any flaws in the statistics. If those kids would all just find something else to do absent a TV then the statistics would have said otherwise.
Personally I think that having a distraction like that in your personal living space is to blame. Kids lack self control. If you take the one place where they could be alone and study and give them access to 900 channels it would definitely not be helping.
Though Angel's magic remote control is also a fix to that situation.

Even now I choose not to have a TV in my room for that distraction factor. I've tried watching and working at the same time and it just does not work. I'll watch until I realize it's late then I'll have to turn off the TV while I quickly half-ass all my work. Maybe some of you are better at dividing your attention but I'm with the statistics on this one.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
You see though? It's you who chooses not to have a TV. That means you do possess some self-control and priorize your studies over TV. However there are many people who just by hearing the word study, the fall asleep, and they need something to make it easier for them to not get bored. I'm not disagreeing with the statistics (how could I, they are a great thing, and always 90% the truth), all I'm saying is that objects are not the problem. The 'problem' is understanding the kid's character and needs, and taking the necessary mmeasures, much like Angel did;)

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Well.This thing does not affect me, as Im Polish nationality. Yes, for more time I gotten TV in bedroom, but I always played on It some games, or when I been on really bad mood, I watched some X-rated movies when I been younger, now this not affect me as Im 19th years old, but If I was have children, I could ban TV in their rooms

Meg

I have a TV in my room, but see if I need to get work done I do something radical. I go to the library.
*is on library computer right now*

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I'm just against people in the UK constantly using 'BAN' as an answer to things.

FUN: BANNED IN THE UK

Personally though, I don't even get signals on my TV, I pulled the socket out from the wall... I think that much of television. It's a huge waste of time in my view, when I'm trying to achieve something to sit in front of the TV for hours, but I'm not gonna tell everyone they should be doing what I'm doing. I think it's down to the individual concerned whether TV is an enhancement to their day or a life-sucker. Like I said, as a kid, TV bored me... I was an outdoors kid. Not all kids are TV junkies.

Reactions: Meg

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I think people underestimate kids and their ability to find something else to do if their primary source of entertainment is removed. Jessica was a total tellybug - took TV away, less than 4 days later she got over it and found other stuff to do. TV and games aren't the problem - parents are ;)

Reactions: Meg

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
You see though? It's you who chooses not to have a TV. That means you do possess some self-control and priorize your studies over TV. However there are many people who just by hearing the word study, the fall asleep, and they need something to make it easier for them to not get bored. I'm not disagreeing with the statistics (how could I, they are a great thing, and always 90% the truth), all I'm saying is that objects are not the problem. The 'problem' is understanding the kid's character and needs, and taking the necessary mmeasures, much like Angel did;)
You're right. It's not absolute. I'm sure it varies from family to family.
I have to say that pointing out my self control isn't entirely transparent. I do have the self control but I'm also21 years old. I would hope to have some form of discipline at this age.

Were I anywhere younger than 18-19 I'd bet a bucket of delicious steak that I would want a TV in my room so I could abuse the privilege without restraint. I'm eternally grateful that my parents saw through my ploy and didn't let it happen. I doubt I would have gotten into any University with what my grades would have been.

I did get a desktop in my room when I was 16 but by then I was old enough to balance it all somewhat.
It all depends on what your vices are. For me it was console gaming and television, so a computer was a cool addition but I didn't think of it as entertainment. I didn't know all the time-killing things you could do with one in those days. :cool:

@Angel I agree completely. Whenever I was banned from (the all encompassing term) "screens" I'd go outside and have fun doing something else. You can't ruin a childhood by taking away something like television. Kids will find some way to entertain themselves in most any circumstance.

Top Bottom