• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Spoiler Thread

berto

I Saw the Devil
So the devil sword Dante? How do you guys feel about Dante getting his own sparda equivalent?
I don't care for it. The way he gets it seems rather odd and not particularly derisive to how you'd imagine a demon sword comes to be. For one, Sparda stabbing himself with a sword to get another that bares his name just adds more questions, like where did it all start. If the sword was forged then why make it so that Dante performing seppuku makes him absorb both Rebellion and Sparda for a new one? That sort of thing implies intent from the moment the swords were made and I'm sure he didn't know his sons were going to be needing this sort of application 2000+ years before they were born. It just raises too many questions and it seems to have been applied more for cinematic purposes than for any substantially practical reason. I wouldn't mind so much, considering how he gets the Sparda in DMC1, but that game had nothing to answer to and didn't care about explanations, and this one does which might be what's rubbing me the wrong way.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I like the design of it but I'll be bummed out if it has no new moves

Rebellion moveset has got old now

Shouldn't it boost Dante's power pretty big as its sparda and rebellion combined ?

Methix

I like the design of it but I'll be bummed out if it has no new moves

Rebellion moveset has got old now

Shouldn't it boost Dante's power pretty big as its sparda and rebellion combined ?

Play the whole game, watch all cutscenes, at the end u will get your anwser. lets just say the term "equal" comes into the frey

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I already know the outcome to the canon as I saw all the cutscenes by yt today, I'm talking about from a gameplay standpoint

Boost to the moveset etc like u get with the sparda dt in DMC1

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
I don't care for it. The way he gets it seems rather odd and not particularly derisive to how you'd imagine a demon sword comes to be. For one, Sparda stabbing himself with a sword to get another that bares his name just adds more questions, like where did it all start. If the sword was forged then why make it so that Dante performing seppuku makes him absorb both Rebellion and Sparda for a new one? That sort of thing implies intent from the moment the swords were made and I'm sure he didn't know his sons were going to be needing this sort of application 2000+ years before they were born. It just raises too many questions and it seems to have been applied more for cinematic purposes than for any substantially practical reason. I wouldn't mind so much, considering how he gets the Sparda in DMC1, but that game had nothing to answer to and didn't care about explanations, and this one does which might be what's rubbing me the wrong way.
DMC5 mirrors 3 pretty heavily being pretty much the same situation in that Vergil was seeking power. It wouldn't surprise me if they purposely tried to make Dante's awakening in this game serve as a follow up to the original awakening of rebellion. I just see him asorbing the sparda sword as a way to tie up that loose plot thread so no one can try to steal it.
On a separate note though we got to learn why Dante is so much stronger than sparda. And it's proven he's stronger when urizen says something along the lines of "the devil sword sparda is of no significance" Also does anyone know why Vergil did what he did when he's easily able to match a stronger Dante by the end

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
So how does everyone feel about the fact that demons get their power from human blood? Is that why half breeds are so strong? And does that mean Nero can be more powerful considering the fact that he "bitch slapped" Dante? And cursing is fine If it's sanctioned by Dante right? And this is the first game where he actually cursed

Methix

So how does everyone feel about the fact that demons get their power from human blood? Is that why half breeds are so strong? And does that mean Nero can be more powerful considering the fact that he "bitch slapped" Dante? And cursing is fine If it's sanctioned by Dante right? And this is the first game where he actually cursed

You mean the fact Nero is a quarter demon or w/e and 3 quarters human so the demon side has more to pull from the human side in terms of blood? to me, that seems stupid. Remember, he fights vergil after vergil was fighting Dante so he fought vergil weakened tired and just wpm against him, vergil was stil functioning after the fight and even said he can still fight. so vergil was just to tired and said **** it ill win later. ANd him bitch slapping dante? come on dante just fought vergil, so i dont think that is a good basis, let nero fight vergil and dante at full power and until then no can be saying nero is stronger. But for the after after credits cutscene in hell its obvious vergil and dante are equals in terms of power and especially from there fight early ended in stalemate.

berto

I Saw the Devil
It occurred to me that Rebellion impaling Dante and giving him power or awakening something inside him every time also doesn’t add up. Both Nero and Sid impaled him with Rebellion and he got nothing from that. What’s the perimeter? Is it intension? Because that would be a legitimate reason but Vergil’s were the same as Nero and Sid’s and still nothing. If it requires it to be from the Sparda blood then Nero would qualify and, again, nothing there. If you need the Sword Sparda then why did he awaken him without it the first time.

I find the whole deal rather perplexing on multiple levels. I’ll talk about it in more detail later. For now I want to finish the game and see more for my self.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
It occurred to me that Rebellion impaling Dante and giving him power or awakening something inside him every time also doesn’t add up. Both Nero and Sid impaled him with Rebellion and he got nothing from that. What’s the perimeter? Is it intension? Because that would be a legitimate reason but Vergil’s were the same as Nero and Sid’s and still nothing. If it requires it to be from the Sparda blood then Nero would qualify and, again, nothing there. If you need the Sword Sparda then why did he awaken him without it the first time.

I find the whole deal rather perplexing on multiple levels. I’ll talk about it in more detail later. For now I want to finish the game and see more for my self.
Well it could be the fact that it was broken. Rebellion isn't the only factor, it's Dante himself. Or maybe it's like alot of other forms in fiction where it's unlocked out of need and if your strong enough to get the form. The first time he got the first level, and the second time he got the sin level. We do see both when Vergil is Involved. As much as Vergil talks about him getting power whenever he's involved he pushes Dante to get stronger in a way no one but mundus has. And he again had a great need for power in that moment, same with Nero's first time triggering. I'm just saying in every instance of awakening a devil trigger we see it's out of a great need. Maybe rebellion being broken was actually a pre-requisite for the form along with Dante being strong enough to actually handle the fom

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The big reveal with who V is reminded me of Kingdom Hearts. It's also funny given who his Japanese VA is.

I looked at the reveal on YouTube and it's decent. I don't like it but i dont think it would affect my review of the game when i beat it.

Kishido

Hunter
The whole Rebellion stuff makes no sense... Same goes for the Yamato splitting.

And what role has the Sparda Sword with this. You can't tell me Sparda has foreseen all this

And the demon sword Dante is strange as well... Why Vergil hasn't got a demon sword Vergil?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well it could be the fact that it was broken. Rebellion isn't the only factor, it's Dante himself. Or maybe it's like alot of other forms in fiction where it's unlocked out of need and if your strong enough to get the form. The first time he got the first level, and the second time he got the sin level. We do see both when Vergil is Involved. As much as Vergil talks about him getting power whenever he's involved he pushes Dante to get stronger in a way no one but mundus has. And he again had a great need for power in that moment, same with Nero's first time triggering. I'm just saying in every instance of awakening a devil trigger we see it's out of a great need. Maybe rebellion being broken was actually a pre-requisite for the form along with Dante being strong enough to actually handle the fom
There are too many other factors not taken into account. The existence of the Majin trigger, how Nero got his from running with determination, no sword needed or leveling up enough to get it, how Sparda is unlocked when the amulets and Force Edge meet and not from necessity, how Vergil got his without having to absorb Sparda. For every reason I can think of there are too many instances where there it doesn't apply that one time. Everything is an expedition to the rule.

In DMC3 it was always implied that Dante didn't get his DT from the sword that impaled him but from the fact that he was impaled, possibly killed, by Vergil and that's what made the devil inside him wake, be it the will to live or it being a traumatic enough experience. Rebellion wasn't the key but rather a reflection of Dante. In the manga Dante didn't need to be impaled to access his demon powers, in was a matter of being pushed to his limits. With supernatural matter there is no set rules but at the same time the way this keeps working out seems so randomly arbitrary. Works out more for dramatic effect than any real logic. Even if it was emotional or semantic logic, I'd take it, but it's all so... I don't know how to explain it.

Edit:
It occurs to me that we've always assume some of these things and that maybe these assumptions were wrong, that our interpretations of events were just an interpretation and in no way are we immediately right simply because we all saw it that way. For all we know this has always been the way it all worked out in DMC3, that it was his sword and not a super Saiyan effect. I'm not sure if it is but I hope that this is the case because the alternative, that we were right and they changed it for the plot of this game, means that the rules and the cannon are arbitrary and only matter as long as the next game needs them to. That nothing set in stone is set in stone because it can be changed at a whim, if they needed them to change for dramatic purposes.

Last edited:

Kishido

Hunter
But as bad as this whole Rebellion stuff is...

The new sword is awesome and I really need a Vergil sword as well

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
There are too many other factors not taken into account. The existence of the Majin trigger, how Nero got his from running with determination, no sword needed or leveling up enough to get it, how Sparda is unlocked when the amulets and Force Edge meet and not from necessity, how Vergil got his without having to absorb Sparda. For every reason I can think of there are too many instances where there it doesn't apply that one time. Everything is an expedition to the rule.

In DMC3 it was always implied that Dante didn't get his DT from the sword that impaled him but from the fact that he was impaled, possibly killed, by Vergil and that's what made the devil inside him wake, be it the will to live or it being a traumatic enough experience. Rebellion wasn't the key but rather a reflection of Dante. In the manga Dante didn't need to be impaled to access his demon powers, in was a matter of being pushed to his limits. With supernatural matter there is no set rules but at the same time the way this keeps working out seems so randomly arbitrary. Works out more for dramatic effect than any real logic. Even if it was emotional or semantic logic, I'd take it, but it's all so... I don't know how to explain it.

Edit:
It occurs to me that we've always assume some of these things and that maybe these assumptions were wrong, that our interpretations of events were just an interpretation and in no way are we immediately right simply because we all saw it that way. For all we know this has always been the way it all worked out in DMC3, that it was his sword and not a super Saiyan effect. I'm not sure if it is but I hope that this is the case because the alternative, that we were right and they changed it for the plot of this game, means that the rules and the cannon are arbitrary and only matter as long as the next game needs them to. That nothing set in stone is set in stone because it can be changed at a whim, if they needed them to change for dramatic purposes.
I'm trying to say maybe Dante's is a super Saiyan effect and at the same time he needs to have his sword be impaled into him to actually unlock that form of power along with the need for more power. Remember that dante and Vergil are half demons and Nero is a quarter demon, we can't assume they follow the same rules as sparda or any other demon. For all we know rebellion was actually dealing Dante's power and when it broke he just needed to pull it out of himself. As stated before I don't think the sparda was actually a part of unlocking it just writers tying up loose ends

Top Bottom