• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

SOPA Making a Comeback?

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I heard from a few of my friend circles that SOPA isn't quite dead and that the Obama administration supports it. Is this true?

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
dont know the answer but mate......you seem to have made this thread and a clone XD

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Damn! I was afraid of that. I always double-post accidentally when the forums start acting up...

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I heard this thing from my Anonymous circles, true they organize to fight against SOPA 2.0 and Obama who is behind this ****. Wait, It not affect me, Im Polish so Im in EU jurdistriction.

Meg

The gov has been trying to pass SOPA-like bills for awhile now. Hollywood has gotta involved and is putting pressure on Congress. That's the last I heard anyway.

Laurence Barnes

Premium
oh yeah wait this doesnt affect me either :/ hate realising these things till later :lol:

Meg

oh yeah wait this doesnt affect me either :/ hate realising these things till later :lol:
I heard this thing from my Anonymous circles, true they organize to fight against SOPA 2.0 and Obama who is behind this ****. Wait, It not affect me, Im Polish so Im in EU jurdistriction.
Anyone who uses sites like YouTube or international sites are going to be affected. That's the thing. And if it gets passed and things work out for the people up top, you can bet other countries will try it too.

Laurence Barnes

Premium
Anyone who uses sites like YouTube or international sites are going to be affected. That's the thing. And if it gets passed and things work out for the people up top, you can bet other countries will try it too.
.......................................oh........................ummm..............well.................dammit :|

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
The British government want to trace the public's emails (to see who's contacting them etc), trace phone calls, sites they visit etc. They only want to do it with known criminals though... i think it's an excuse for them to spy on everyone. They have to get a warrant though if they want to 'hack' into emails etc.
Just for lulz, if they start this, i'll be looking at hentai non-stop.:troll:

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium

Im happy that my YT have nothing incorporated, I use it only for watching other peoples works or comment videos

Reactions: Meg

V

Oldschool DMC fan
My cynic-sense is tingling!

Of course they are planning another... I'm sure they *won't stop* trying to pass something like it until they get what they want in some form or another, because government/lobbyists currently have the upper hand in that they can pass the laws (over or under the table!), the public is currently not showing enough opposition (perhaps not until they pass a very bad law anyway), and they clearly want more control over what we can do online. They're hell-bent on it.

Ten years ago government politicians probably didn't know how to turn a PC on. Ten years on, the free party on the web is over, enter the internet laws, censorship and surveillance. . .

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
My cynic-sense is tingling!

Of course they are planning another... I'm sure they *won't stop* trying to pass something like it until they get what they want in some form or another, because government currently have the upper hand in that they can pass the laws, the public is currently not showing enough opposition (perhaps not until they pass a very bad law anyway), and they clearly want more control over what we can do online. They're hell-bent on it.

Exactly.
But I can't help think how far the coalition's nonsense has to go before someone says "Enough, we want a General Election. We're not taking this anymore"

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Exactly.
But I can't help think how far the coalition's nonsense has to go before someone says "Enough, we want a General Election. We're not taking this anymore"

I am amazed they've got this far without it happening already! Talk about a useless party doing useless things and not learning from mistakes or circumstance - or just not apparently knowing what to do at all. Reminds me of those PG tips adverts with a load of chimps round a table.

Makes me wonder just how much tolerance the British electorate have. Is it infinite...?

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I am amazed they've got this far without it happening already! Talk about a useless party doing useless things and not learning from mistakes or circumstance - or just not apparently knowing what to do at all. Reminds me of those PG tips adverts with a load of chimps round a table.

Makes me wonder just how much tolerance the British electorate have. Is it infinite...?

That's probably an insult to those chimps :lol:.

Well, throughout my short life I've only majorly voted twice. I'm starting to think that most of the country is made up with Conservative supporters. I don't know if it's tolerance, or we've all become accustomed to being cr*pped on. (if that makes sense)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
That's probably an insult to those chimps :lol:.

You're right, it is.

Well, throughout my short life I've only majorly voted twice. I'm starting to think that most of the country is made up with Conservative supporters. I don't know if it's tolerance, or we've all become accustomed to being cr*pped on. (if that makes sense)

I think that *is* what has happened. Forty years ago you would have seen a difference between Labour policies and Conservative policies (Lib Dems did not exist until 1988). Since the Thatcher/Reagan era, both the government's and public attitude changed radically - all major parties started to converge in policy as the Western world really started to embrace rampant materialism and personal gain and it was adopted by everyday people. As a result, political ideology has mostly gone out of the window, and most people now ask "what's in it for me?" when they think about voting for a party, rather than "are they good for the country?" Politicians woo us not by promising they'll make the world a better place, but by saying they'll make us richer.

Countries are now run like businesses, with checks and balances; the state of the bank account being more important than the state of the society; the government practically worships "growth" - economic and financial growth, even when it can't be sustained. Most people here aspire to be house owners and climb the property ladder, and therefore amass personal wealth and security or wish to become landlords. That about sums us up, as a country. Our foreign policy is mostly dictated by who's got the money (China, let's be friends! 8D) and who we can't afford not to have at our back, or think we can't afford not to have at our back (hence being America's pet when it comes to policing the world), and a few old grudges and boo-boos we're still tangled up with (Iran, the Middle East). It's mostly all about the money now.

Whether that's a better or worse excuse than ideology to do what we do as a country, I don't know.

The Tory party was originally started by rich landowners to protect the interests of the rich as the poor and working class conditions began to improve in Britain... and now you can see that many Brits are 'aspiring middle class' or quite obsessed with becoming house or landowners. So yeah, I'd say the country has definitely started to become more Tory in attitude, whether people realize it or not. Ordinary people are not as united by class as they are by their own interests.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
^I agree
Well, I'll admit, I'm working class. That is what my family is, and that is what this family will always be.
And as my nan used to tell my mum, "If your working class, you vote Labour. If you're not sure vote Lib Dem. Never vote Conservative".

The world today is all about money (that's pretty much apparent in football) and material possessions. (Just like Lexy said).

The government kick people who really can't work off of the sick, back onto Job seekers where they're supposed to find employment... WHERE?
Our bus fares go up while the oap's get to keep 'free passes' (not bung on the 50p charge that they're so willing to pay.)

Through all of the years you'd think the people would learn not to believe politicians. We we believe in their lies, look at what happens... (SOPA being the main thing in the US... and everything else in the UK)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
As an 'artist', I'll never be anything but "working class" no matter how hard I try. :lol:

I didn't vote this time around, I honestly couldn't see the point. Labour had overspent and gone a bit mad with the "omg terrorists" legislation and chomping away at our rights and freedoms for it. Years before that I voted Labour hoping to get the Tories out. At that time I lived in my hometown Liverpool and that was a place that suffered particularly badly under the Tories in the 80s. Funding for many things just cut off, because of the dockers'/council's defiance of Thatcher... the place left to rot, and crime to escalate with all the joblessness, basically. There were some nasty riots back then as a result, I vaguely remember them as a kid, and that Poll Tax thing. I don't think I could ever bring myself to vote for one of 'Thatcher's Children', which is what Cameron claims he is. Then again, I don't remember him and his party actually being voted in, do you? ¬_¬

Lib Dems... I might have voted for them once, maybe... although I saw no chance of them actually getting into power... and now they have (sort of) I'd not vote for them. Promising to help students and then doing the opposite once they got in for starters. Teaming up with the Tories who opposed many of their original policies just for a taste of power and it's only really shown up how spineless they are as a party and how useless Clegg is. If you ask me, parties should be legally obliged to fulfill their pre-election promises (except under extreme/emergency circumstances), otherwise they can simply lie to get into power and do whatever they like after. This last election/current government should have demonstrated to everyone just how much our trust in politicians is misplaced, and how none of them seem to have a decent plan for the problems facing us.

Top Bottom