• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sony Press Conference 2-20-13

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
For those who have seen it, what do you think?
Are you ready for the next generation of consoles?
How much is this stuff going to cost?

What do you think about the social network I'm dubbing SonyBook?

-Media Molecule had a pretty cool thing they showed off and a new Infamous game definitely looks interesting.

-Square Enix just wasted everyone's time. Capcom showed off Deep Down aka Dragon's Dogma 2. (Still no MegaMan you sonsofbitches)

-First rule of Drive Club is don't talk about Drive Club...ok maybe you will because it's a multiplayer heavy first person racer.

-Who honestly gave a sh!t about Killzone?

-Bungie showed up with Elder Scrolls: Halo 5 or Destiny as they are calling it. Pretentious as ever with this title aren't you Bungie? You made Halo which is just the most successful crossover *coughRIPOFFcough* of scifi franchises. You aren't king of the f*cking world.

-Watch Dogs still looks promising though at least.

-Why the hell is it not backwards compatible?
I know they have something called the PS Cloud in the works that will work as something to play older games with but, like Sony couldn't simply make it backwards compatible. Feed the Sony money and he will let you play older games.

I personally think the PS3 and 360 have lots of life left in them but hey ready or not here they come. PS4 should be showing up this holiday season.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I was disappointed honestly :| im still working on my ps2 collection so i could honestly care less about the ps4 but when it comes out most gamestores will through out their ps2 games to make room for used ps3 games and new ps4 games :( but yeah Watch Dogs looks amazing and I can't wait to play it xD

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
For those who have seen it, what do you think?
Are you ready for the next generation of consoles?
How much is this stuff going to cost?
For the PS4 itself, it looks like Sony is continuing the whole control your own storage with normal hard drives which is nice compared to Microsoft's and Nintendo's system, except Nintendo allows you to use an external hard drive. Controller looks familiar, but different. Specs are wicked if the can sell it at a consumer friendly price. And obviously, it won't be as powerful as PC as poor examples of PC gamers brag about. Seriously, it's a console, of course it won't be as powerful or flexible as a PC.

I'm ready, but in a strange way. My plan for this gen and probably continuing generations is to skip like half or 2/3's of it and wait for all of the platform exclusives to come out. I learned the hard way with the Wii and waited about 4 years for Skyward Sword, which while fun, was still kind of crappy to wait that long and leave the thing to collect dust. And Super Smash Bros. Brawl wasn't that great looking back - none of the Super Smash Bros. were, they were just fun to play as your favorite character while having a good combat system. Similarly, Super Mario Galaxy, I loved that game and have yet to purchase the sequel. But I have like 9 games on the Wii compared to about +14 on the PS3; most of them are console exclusives. So I wait with the consoles and in the mean time, I try to get a gaming PC for whatever multiplatform games.

Optimistically, the PS4 will be under $500. Pessimistically, it might be $500. Realistically, it won't be $600 like the PS3 was at launch and we all remember who that went.

What do you think about the social network I'm dubbing SonyBook?
Don't care.

-Media Molecule had a pretty cool thing they showed off and a new Infamous game definitely looks interesting.
I didn't like LittleBigPlanet, but I'm welcome to whatever they can come up with.

The new inFamous better not have Cole in it unless it's Kessler-Cole or he makes a cameo. inFamous 2 canonically ended Cole's train.

-Square Enix just wasted everyone's time.
And if Activision showed up, it would have been larger waste of time. We all know their going to do. We're not stupid y'know.

What would have been nice: Square Enix bringing in Eidos and/or United Front Games with a Deus Ex sequel and Sleeping Dogs sequel if they do exist and I hope they do. But they still need time to figure out the PS4, so I won't hold anything against them.

And maybe this was mentioned already on the Versus XIII thread, but I think Square Enix can do more on the PS4, NeXtbox, and even on the Wii U. They should just move it to the PS4 and try to make it a launch title or something. Hell, Final Fantasy XIII could have been much more if it was on the next gen consoles. They even said that the had enough data for a longer game, but had to cut it out for obvious reasons. Same thing when Kojima said that MGS3 had to lessened on the PS2 since he thought it would be on the PS3 and he could of had players experience the jungle even more.

Capcom showed off Deep Down aka Dragon's Dogma 2. (Still no MegaMan you sonsofbitches)
Didn't look it up, so I can't comment.

-First rule of Drive Club is don't talk about Drive Club...ok maybe you will because it's a multiplayer heavy first person racer.
Don't care much for driving games.

-Who honestly gave a sh!t about Killzone?
Butthurt Halo-Sony fanboys.

I don't care for the series, but some people do. Similarly, I find Resistance to be an interesting series, but I don't care for playing them

-Bungie showed up with Elder Scrolls: Halo 5 or Destiny as they are calling it. Pretentious as ever with this title aren't you Bungie? You made Halo which is just the most successful crossover *coughRIPOFFcough* of scifi franchises. You aren't king of the f*cking world.
At least they don't produce glitchy games or are incompetent game developers of a system for one whole generation. Really? For one whole generation and Bethesda has problems with the PS3? Even Ninja Theory figured it out after Enslaved's glitches on the PS3. And Platinum Games did the same after learning that porting games from the Cboc 360 to PS3 is a bad idea. Companies that are smaller than you learning and being humbled? Bethesda, Bethesda . . . I like Elder Scrolls and Fallout, but still.

I'm interested in Destiny since the only Bungie game I played was Halo: Combat Evolved on the PC since I don't own an Xbox 360 and missed the Halo series.

-Watch Dogs still looks promising though at least.
Yes it does. I want more telescopic baton action.

-Why the hell is it not backwards compatible?
I know they have something called the PS Cloud in the works that will work as something to play older games with but, like Sony couldn't simply make it backwards compatible. Feed the Sony money and he will let you play older games.
For one, it's expensive. Two, the older consoles are still floating around in retail and many probably own them. Three, with Sony, they make convoluted programming or whatever and that's hell to integrate an older chipset into a modern one and not lose money. Four, they can make money off of old game by "remastering" them and introduce new fans by doing so. Five, incompatible disc formats? I think that applies to the Wii U more than the PS1-4.

I personally think the PS3 and 360 have lots of life left in them but hey ready or not here they come. PS4 should be showing up this holiday season.
Well, developers are still making or finishing games for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Even when they were released, there were PS2 games still developed and released from time to time. And it was late in the PS2's life when Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater came out and that was a gorgeous game considering what the PS2 was. With Crysis 3, Last of Us, Watch Dogs, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (assuming it's for the PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, NeXtbox, and potentially the Wii U), etc., those still show that for old hardware, they can still do amazing things. Hell, even PCs with older graphics cards can still play new games on relatively high setting just fine.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
For the PS4 itself, it looks like Sony is continuing the whole control your own storage with normal hard drives which is nice compared to Microsoft's and Nintendo's system, except Nintendo allows you to use an external hard drive. Controller looks familiar, but different. Specs are wicked if the can sell it at a consumer friendly price. And obviously, it won't be as powerful as PC as poor examples of PC gamers brag about. Seriously, it's a console, of course it won't be as powerful or flexible as a PC.

I'm ready, but in a strange way. My plan for this gen and probably continuing generations is to skip like half or 2/3's of it and wait for all of the platform exclusives to come out. I learned the hard way with the Wii and waited about 4 years for Skyward Sword, which while fun, was still kind of crappy to wait that long and leave the thing to collect dust. And Super Smash Bros. Brawl wasn't that great looking back - none of the Super Smash Bros. were, they were just fun to play as your favorite character while having a good combat system. Similarly, Super Mario Galaxy, I loved that game and have yet to purchase the sequel. But I have like 9 games on the Wii compared to about +14 on the PS3; most of them are console exclusives. So I wait with the consoles and in the mean time, I try to get a gaming PC for whatever multiplatform games.

Optimistically, the PS4 will be under $500. Pessimistically, it might be $500. Realistically, it won't be $600 like the PS3 was at launch and we all remember who that went.

Don't care.

I didn't like LittleBigPlanet, but I'm welcome to whatever they can come up with.

The new inFamous better not have Cole in it unless it's Kessler-Cole or he makes a cameo. inFamous 2 canonically ended Cole's train.

And if Activision showed up, it would have been larger waste of time. We all know their going to do. We're not stupid y'know.

What would have been nice: Square Enix bringing in Eidos and/or United Front Games with a Deus Ex sequel and Sleeping Dogs sequel if they do exist and I hope they do. But they still need time to figure out the PS4, so I won't hold anything against them.

And maybe this was mentioned already on the Versus XIII thread, but I think Square Enix can do more on the PS4, NeXtbox, and even on the Wii U. They should just move it to the PS4 and try to make it a launch title or something. Hell, Final Fantasy XIII could have been much more if it was on the next gen consoles. They even said that the had enough data for a longer game, but had to cut it out for obvious reasons. Same thing when Kojima said that MGS3 had to lessened on the PS2 since he thought it would be on the PS3 and he could of had players experience the jungle even more.

Didn't look it up, so I can't comment.

Don't care much for driving games.

Butthurt Halo-Sony fanboys.

I don't care for the series, but some people do. Similarly, I find Resistance to be an interesting series, but I don't care for playing them

At least they don't produce glitchy games or are incompetent game developers of a system for one whole generation. Really? For one whole generation and Bethesda has problems with the PS3? Even Ninja Theory figured it out after Enslaved's glitches on the PS3. And Platinum Games did the same after learning that porting games from the Cboc 360 to PS3 is a bad idea. Companies that are smaller than you learning and being humbled? Bethesda, Bethesda . . . I like Elder Scrolls and Fallout, but still.

I'm interested in Destiny since the only Bungie game I played was Halo: Combat Evolved on the PC since I don't own an Xbox 360 and missed the Halo series.

Yes it does. I want more telescopic baton action.

For one, it's expensive. Two, the older consoles are still floating around in retail and many probably own them. Three, with Sony, they make convoluted programming or whatever and that's hell to integrate an older chipset into a modern one and not lose money. Four, they can make money off of old game by "remastering" them and introduce new fans by doing so. Five, incompatible disc formats? I think that applies to the Wii U more than the PS1-4.

Well, developers are still making or finishing games for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Even when they were released, there were PS2 games still developed and released from time to time. And it was late in the PS2's life when Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater came out and that was a gorgeous game considering what the PS2 was. With Crysis 3, Last of Us, Watch Dogs, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (assuming it's for the PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, NeXtbox, and potentially the Wii U), etc., those still show that for old hardware, they can still do amazing things. Hell, even PCs with older graphics cards can still play new games on relatively high setting just fine.
Graphics are the last thing I really care about when it comes to games. Which is why I mostly don't pick up HD remakes. I most likely still have the original game anyway and I actually appreciate the more traditional feel of the game. I like the graphics for stuff like NES.SNES, and N64. I like that feel. I'm the type of person that enjoys going to the movie theater even if I can watch it for free. Get what I'm saying? It's most likely just my nostalgic heartstrings.

Media Molecule's presentation was interesting to me because I love LBP. I'm a LBP player that spends most of my time creating things and I'm very good at it. I love being creative. The next Infamous looks sweet because I love superheroes and Infamous was a great superhero series. That new particle power the dude has looks pretty sweet.

I don't hate Halo but I've grown to like it less as time went on. It's pretty much stagnant now. The highest point that series ever reached was Halo 2. Halo totally is a ripoff of many things though. Destiny doesn't seem like that much of a big deal. Bungie has been acting pretentious with it thinking they have the biggest freaking game in the world. Why the hell have a customization mode in a FPS? You can't see your character!

Watch Dogs I'm glad is still looking sweet. Evidently somebody at Ubisoft actually wants to make a good game instead of cashing in on the AssCreed cash cow every year.

I want my Ground Zeroes so bad and that might be the thing that gets me to pick up a PS4. That and whether media molecule has some amazing creation game on the way again.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Graphics are the last thing I really care about when it comes to games. Which is why I mostly don't pick up HD remakes. I most likely still have the original game anyway and I actually appreciate the more traditional feel of the game. I like the graphics for stuff like NES.SNES, and N64. I like that feel. I'm the type of person that enjoys going to the movie theater even if I can watch it for free. Get what I'm saying? It's most likely just my nostalgic heartstrings.
Yeah, but when you're like me who misses great games like Sly 2 and 3, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Zone of Enders, MGS: Peace Walker and 2: Sons of Liberty, and Pikmin, it's nice to have HD remakes or whatever they want to call them. And like I said, it's good to attract new fans to older series and keep that series going, hopefully, for the better. And with Final Fantasy X, for some reason, that and Kingdom Hearts 2 have weird feedback sounds from my HDTV, not so the newer one, but it did. So, when I heard about the HD remake and because I was stuck in an area, I did decided to sell it and wait for the remake and start anew.

And I'm not a graphics first type of gamer. No, it's just that I see PC gaming might be cheaper in the long run and considering that I'll be in college or whatever in about 2 years, I might as well start trying to make things less expensive for me.

Media Molecule's presentation was interesting to me because I love LBP. I'm a LBP player that spends most of my time creating things and I'm very good at it. I love being creative. The next Infamous looks sweet because I love superheroes and Infamous was a great superhero series. That new particle power the dude has looks pretty sweet.
As much as I like hearing Stephen Fry narrating my life, I don't like games like LBP. For whatever reason, I just don't like 2D/2.5D platformers or bird's eye view games like Zelda, and for whatever reason, I'm terrible at them.

I like superheroes too, but when they're dead and their death has meaning, please don't revive them. inFamous had it where radiation was killing and activating powers. With Cole killing himself and several hundreds of thousands of others, he was able to save millions of others. That has meaning. Reviving him and letting him be the only or one of the few survivors would ruin that meaning in my opinion. So, having a new character, new setting, but with the same title would be okay. Kind of like how Final Fantasies, Super Mario, etc., aren't direct continuations of the story; they're just installments of the franchise.

I don't hate Halo but I've grown to like it less as time went on. It's pretty much stagnant now. The highest point that series ever reached was Halo 2. Halo totally is a ripoff of many things though. Destiny doesn't seem like that much of a big deal. Bungie has been acting pretentious with it thinking they have the biggest freaking game in the world. Why the hell have a customization mode in a FPS? You can't see your character!
Same thing why we have customization in Elder Scrolls games where usually you're going to be playing in first person. Maybe what your character looks like will change how NPCs will react to you. If you weren't a Nord in Skyrim, everyone (the Nords who are the majority of Skyrim) was pretty much racist to you. Some like it because it adds to that RPG feel. Others don't really care.

I like the concept of Halo, but I never got pass Halo 1 so I don't know much about the series other than watching, reading, and listening about it.

Watch Dogs I'm glad is still looking sweet. Evidently somebody at Ubisoft actually wants to make a good game instead of cashing in on the AssCreed cash cow every year.
I like the concept of Watch Dogs. And someone like Ubisoft should release Mirror's Edge 2 sooner. *cough*EA*cough*

I want my Ground Zeroes so bad and that might be the thing that gets me to pick up a PS4. That and whether media molecule has some amazing creation game on the way again.
For me with Nintendo, it's usually Zelda that makes me want to pick up their current system. Now there's more like Metroid, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Kirby, Luigi - see how I don't mention his ass of a brother? - and whatever Nintendo exclusive system. But games like those take so long, and I'm not blaming them, to develop.

Since Ground Zeroes is supposedly multiplatform and Kojima said that he would include PC for Fox Engine, I am hoping it will be on the PC since I'll be missing a chunk of the generation while on the PC.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
For a conference built up this way to not even actually feature the console itself made me laugh a little.

I saw nothing during this conference that got me hyped, as gamer that is, it's all just more social media BS that couldn't bore me anymore if it tried. I mean come the hell on, when they started talking about smartphones being a part of all this i actually sighed and wondered why i was even bothering to watch anymore. I don't have a smartphone, nor do i know anybody who wants one so why do Sony insist that everybody have one by now?

Killzone starting off assumes that this is the selling point for gamers right now so when i look at the trailer and think to myself "Man does this look boring." when i can go back and look at Killzone 1 or 2 and not think the same thing, then your new instalment has an issue.

All in all actually, by the time the end was approaching i was actually questioning why i had bothered watching this in the first place. Nothing happened that caught my interest, apart from maybe Bungie's new project and even then i'm not excited about that until they release a LOT more information.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
For a conference built up this way to not even actually feature the console itself made me laugh a little.

I saw nothing during this conference that got me hyped, as gamer that is, it's all just more social media BS that couldn't bore me anymore if it tried. I mean come the hell on, when they started talking about smartphones being a part of all this i actually sighed and wondered why i was even bothering to watch anymore. I don't have a smartphone, nor do i know anybody who wants one so why do Sony insist that everybody have one by now?

Killzone starting off assumes that this is the selling point for gamers right now so when i look at the trailer and think to myself "Man does this look boring." when i can go back and look at Killzone 1 or 2 and not think the same thing, then your new instalment has an issue.

All in all actually, by the time the end was approaching i was actually questioning why i had bothered watching this in the first place. Nothing happened that caught my interest, apart from maybe Bungie's new project and even then i'm not excited about that until they release a LOT more information.
I thought I was the only one in the entire universe who never got a smartphone. I expected people to start asking me how do I breath on Mars.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Well when i do fancy going on a trip to mars, i'll certainly buy a smartphone so i can breathe up there.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger

I thought Knack was the first game Sony announced for the PS4 and everything else just fell into place. And I liked that they didn't show the console at all; it's just a box. What matters more for me are the launch games and so far, Sony is doing well with what they have set up. The Wii and PS3 didn't have that great of a launch library and that didn't help with the PS3's launch price; I don't know about the Xbox 360 and its launch titles. Technical specs aren't that important for gamers, but it's nice to see what developers are working with and how much companies can cram into a system without breaking consumers' banks. Features are nice too, but not really important. I don't really care about SonyBook, streaming, etc. But I do like seeing things like removal hard drives that aren't Sony exclusive and you can just buy any modern hard drive, unlike what Microsoft and Nintendo did.

But what are your feelings about the other games?

Me, Knack caught my interest with its art direction alone. I just like games that aren't super realistic looking and are more playful in appearance. Whether it'll be a good game or not, that depends. But I like the look and feel of it. inFamous: Second Son frustrated me and interested me. First because I didn't want to see Cole returning, but that looks like it won't happen. Good thing since Cole's death for me has more meaning if he stays dead. What interested me was the main character if he is the main character. He looks and sounds like Troy Baker and that's no surprise since Sucker Punch and other developers have been using motion capture and facial recognition more often.

Watch Dogs and Diablo III did not interest me at all. They were games hinted to be next gen or ported over for consoles for a while. I think Blizzard said they were working on a console port even before Diablo III was released. Watch Dogs was touted as a next gen game from what I remember, so it's no surprise it'll be on the PS4, NeXtbox, PC, and PS3, Xbox 360, and maybe the Wii U since they're still alive for now. Sure they might be great games, but it's technically old news being confirmed. This is the same thing as hearing Square Enix announcing a Final Fantasy for the PS4 (and other systems), or Ubisoft announcing Assassin's Creed 4, Capcom and Street Fighter 5, etc.; you know it's going to happen. There's no surprise needed. Now if they announced a completely new IP, then sure, get shocked.

Killzone, I never liked the series, sure it has an interesting aesthetic and plays with I guess a WWII in the future plot, but the gameplay always felt clunky. It was said to be much faster than past Killzones, but I don't really care. Capcom's Deep Down looks like what From Software did with Demon's Souls; they made Dark Souls since Demon's Souls' rights are held by Sony. I don't know why, but if anything, Deep Down could be a game set underground where dragons and other beasts are guarding the exit. So like City of Ember or something else I can't remember. That'd be nice, Dragon's Dogma is set in a medieval world on land, Deep Down is set underground, and the next game would be under water or on floating islands. I wouldn't play the underwater one no matter how good it might be since I'm afraid of fishes; it's an irrational fear, I can't help it.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I was prepared to write out my feelings but i'm pretty darn sure this covers everything:

For whatever reason, whenever someone speaks in this accent (English accent from some cardinal direction/region), I can't help but assume that they are very funny people and would love to be friends with them. Now if only a Scottish guy could comment over this. Yes! Angry Scotsmen!

Dark Drakan

Admin
Why the hell have a customization mode in a FPS? You can't see your character!

Hear people say this all the time but this is designed to be a multiplayer game, its mainly to distinguish you from other players. Also for you to show off your cool customisations to other people as lots of others are looking at you all the time where ever you are & add bonuses from armour/weapon mods etc. Normally when carrying large weapons or driving etc games like this go into 3rd person too & from the look of it there will be a lot of vehicle combat & travelling.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Hear people say this all the time but this is designed to be a multiplayer game, its mainly to distinguish you from other players. Also for you to show off your cool customisations to other people as lots of others are looking at you all the time where ever you are & add bonuses from armour/weapon mods etc. Normally when carrying large weapons or driving etc games like this go into 3rd person too & from the look of it there will be a lot of vehicle combat & travelling.
I still prefer to appreciate my cool character I made myself with a 3rd person view. I know quite a few people who play Fallout and Skyrim in 3rd person just for that reason. I'm not really into those type of games anyway and quite frankly I kind of don't care about Destiny. Looks like Elder Scrolls: Halo to me. Infamous Second Son, Watch Dogs, and whatever Media Molecule was showing off were the only things that interested me game wise at the conference.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I still prefer to appreciate my cool character I made myself with a 3rd person view. I know quite a few people who play Fallout and Skyrim in 3rd person just for that reason. I'm not really into those type of games anyway and quite frankly I kind of don't care about Destiny. Looks like Elder Scrolls: Halo to me. Infamous Second Son, Watch Dogs, and whatever Media Molecule was showing off were the only things that interested me game wise at the conference.

Id like to look at my character but if I designed them & equipped everything then I know what they look like. Half your time is spent in the inventory screen equiping new things so your always looking at yourself there so I'd always have the mental image of my own character. I love the Fallout & Elder Scrolls series but hate the 3rd person view in them, so clunky & awkward. To me I wouldnt say Destiny looks anything like an Elder Scrolls game as they are single player only games with many differences. Only thing that looks the same sort of thing is the vast customisation but there are many other games with vast customisation. It does look like Halo in its style but more like a Halo, Mass Effect & Borderlands title rolled into one huge MMO style game. Im more intrigued that a company are willing to do something of this scale in that genre on a console with no fees, be interesting to see who follows suit.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
The streaming ability of the PS4 actually looks promising.
I think the idea of virtually handing control over to someone else sounds cool, but I really do wonder if it will actually work with lag and such. I also wonder what the quality of the video will be like and what limitations there will be, and to see if Microsoft make a similar move.

Top Bottom