• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sony details PlayStation Network service restore

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
PSN-Services-This-Week.jpg
Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment International announced this morning the “phased restoration by region” of PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, beginning with “gaming, music and video services”.

The PlayStation Network was breached on April 20, 2011 affecting over 77 million accounts. The cyber-criminals responsible were said to get away with information including your name, address, e-mail, password, and more, though it is not sure whether they obtained credit card details.

Following the attack, Sony “quickly” turned off the PlayStation Network, and hired multiple security firms to conduct an “extensive audit” of the security system. With new security measures in place, which SNEI and third-parties have “conducted extensive tests to verify the security strength of,” Sony will begin the initial rollout of PlayStation Network services. They will include:
  • Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems, including titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
  • Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
  • Access to account management and password reset
  • Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
  • PlayStation Home
  • Friends List
  • Chat Functionality
The service’s newly-implemented security measures are able to “further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information.” A new position of Chief Information Security Officer has also been created, adding for “a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel.” The new security measures include:
  • Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
  • Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
  • Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
  • Implementation of additional firewalls
The PlayStation Network data center, based in San Diego, California, will be moved to a different location under construction and development for “several months”.

When the PlayStation Network goes back online, a forced firmware update will require a mandatory password change upon sign-in of the PlayStation Network. For added security, this may only be done on the PlayStation 3 that activated the account.

As compensation for the breach and PlayStation Network downtime, Sony will rollout the “Welcome Back” program over the “coming weeks,” providing users with several free goodies. It will offer:
  • Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
  • All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
  • Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
“This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers’ information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks,” said Kazuo Hirai, Executive Deputy President, Sony Corporation.

“Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services.”

Still no set date as to when the service will go back online, but at least we know it’s this week!

Image.

Hope there won't be stupid whining as we can get some free stuffs from Sony as compensation.

Source: http://scrawlfx.com/2011/05/sony-details-playstation-network-service-restore

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
I cant get mad at this. At least they are trying to make amends with free PSN Plus and stuff.

Just don't **** up again Sony.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
This paragraph worries me -

'When the PlayStation Network goes back online, a forced firmware update will require a mandatory password change upon sign-in of the PlayStation Network. For added security, this may only be done on the PlayStation 3 that activated the account.'

What if you had an older Playstation that broke down and you have bought a new one - does this mean you'll loose your profile 'cuz you won't be able to log onto the machine that you created the account on?! :confused: Am I reading this right? :confused:

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
This paragraph worries me -

'When the PlayStation Network goes back online, a forced firmware update will require a mandatory password change upon sign-in of the PlayStation Network. For added security, this may only be done on the PlayStation 3 that activated the account.'

What if you had an older Playstation that broke down and you have bought a new one - does this mean you'll loose your profile 'cuz you won't be able to log onto the machine that you created the account on?! :confused: Am I reading this right? :confused:

If you have a new PS3, you can use the old PSN account by using 'Use an existing account' when you first sign in for your new PS3.

Using an existing account

To use this feature, you may be required to update the system software.

Set this option when you want to associate a PlayStation®Network account that was created on a PC or a PSP™ system, or an existing account such as a sub account that was created by the master account holder, to be used by a User who will log in to the PS3™ system.

1. Under
in_user.gif
(Users), log in as the User with whom you want to associate the account.

2. Select
in_signup.gif
(Sign Up for PlayStation®Network) under
in_psn.gif
(PlayStation®Network).

3. From the screen that is displayed, select [Use an Existing Account].
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation. When the association of the account with the User has been completed, the
in_signin.gif
(Sign In) icon will be displayed and the User can sign in to PlayStation®Network using the existing account.

Hints

• PlayStation®Network and
    in_store.gif
    (PlayStation®Store) are only available in certain countries / regions and languages. For details, contact the technical support line for your region.
  • Only one PlayStation®Network account can be associated with one User of the PS3™ system.

Source: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/account/associate.html

It is highly recommended if you changed your password for your account at your old PS3 to prevent other people using your account. Also, it is best to deactivate the 'Automatic sign-in' option.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Thanks Chaos Master. It's my brother who has a new console and I was confused! You always have very helpful news and tips. Thanks again. ;)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I share Esura's thoughts. I'm glad Sony is at least trying to compensate, but if it happens again I won't feel any remorse for them no matter how much free stuff they give me.

Top Bottom