• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sonic Boom

What do you think about the new look?

• Like it

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • hate it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • DAYAM KNUCKLES!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
tumblr_n0lr0yudxT1t74yl9o1_500.jpg

DAYAM KNUCKLES! DAFUQ HAPPEN TO YOU?

Honestly I'm more surprised at Knuckles being so big. Other then that, the look really doesn't bother me.

The gameplay looks like any other 2000-2012 Sonic game honestly.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Personally, I understand why Sonic and Knuckles would wear bandages on around their arms. Muay Thai, Boxing, and plenty of other martial arts have some form of hand protection and bandages are one of the simpler ones, so that makes sense for Knuckles. As for Sonic, bandages could be used as makeshift gloves or hand protection for parkour except for the fact that Sonic already wears gloves. Now, here's the stupid thing: Why in the world are they wearing bandages around their shoes? What benefit is that? Without shoes and having bandaged bare-feet I can understand, but really? If it's some edgy design, then I have nothing to say...

Anyway, Tails looks more like a mechanic with him having a tool set and goggles; that's a good redesign or just additions to add to his character. Amy went from being a creepy, young, weird skirt-wearing pink hedgehog to looking like an older Amy who seems to be more capable in combat. I always had a strange vibe going around with Amy. It's probably her age and clingy-ness that bordered on yandere tendencies. Hopefully it's more comic-relief clingy "girlfriend" rather than that. So, an okay and large redesign. Knuckles, well, it makes sense since he fights with his fists most of the time. That said, it might not have been necessary, and all Knuckles got from the redesign was getting 'roided up. Seriously, he just gained muscle mass and bandages. Nothing else compared to Tails, Amy, and Sonic. On to Sonic, aside from the scarf which could symbolize his wanderer nature, he looks less edgy compared to the past Sonic, and more "friendly" like the chubby, original, kid Sonic.

Y'know, compared to Mario, Kirby, Street Fighter, Metal Gear, Sly Cooper, and Ratchet & Clank, Sonic getting a new design kind of throws off his "iconic" character. What do I mean by that? Well, look at Mario from his beginning to now and you'll see him being refined and given an iconic character. No matter what art style you add to him or different transformations, you'll recognize Mario. Same with Ryu, Ken, and Chun Li, who went from being sprites to extremely muscular fighters. There's this established character design. Likewise, Sly going from the PS2 era to the PS3 era did little to say: "Who's that?" It's Sly and it will always be Sly. Same with Ratchet who went from his debut design, to a more "realistic" or high quality design in Tools of Destruction, and became more fun, cartoon-y, and stylized in All 4 One. It's Ratchet and unmistakably Ratchet. For Sonic, he went from pudgy Sonic to edgier Sonic and nothing really was lost except for a slight change in character. The new Sonic just seems weird and that's probably what edgier Sonic was when he was unveiled. It's not drastic like DmC Dante & DMC Dante, or some of the Ultimate Marvel characters, but it's enough to create a sense of unease.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Knuckles be lifting bro.

Also, I'm surprised it took them this long to actually have the title Sonic Boom.

In all seriousness though, I may not get the athletic bandages but I really don't give a flying f#ck about how they look. I heard it's made by some of the people who worked on Jak and Daxter which sounds promising.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't like the bandages, knuckles is too big, & the picture looks like a Sonic version of StreetFighter & the trailer looks like a kid version of DragonBall.
It's like they're going further & further from what Sonic was trying to keep him relevant in today's market when the title should've retired long ago.
They're trying to turn E rated into something hardcore & it looks odd.
What's next, Sonic martial arts.
Man, you can't get more hardcore than what already came out.
2234518-shadow-shadow-the-hedgehog-29657537-448-297.jpg

Sh!t be gangsta.

But anyway, Sonic has already went through so many different changes and you make too many rash generalizations that also sometimes make no sense.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I saw Sonic fans being Sonic fans complaining about how his arms were now blue and I didn't even notice until they pointed that out.
Holy crap! They are blue... Hmm, I guess Sonic must of hit puberty late and grew some arm hair. That or he forgot to shave...

Well, considering that everyone looks like they'll be travelling at the same speed for now, as it looks like each character has a specialty. I can't wait for people to complain that Sonic is too slow. Here's what would happen if Sonic was too fast (and suffering from lag).

Now, if someone could tell me the ending piece after Sonic "dies", that'd be appreciated.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Holy crap! They are blue... Hmm, I guess Sonic must of hit puberty late and grew some arm hair. That or he forgot to shave...

Well, considering that everyone looks like they'll be travelling at the same speed for now, as it looks like each character has a specialty. I can't wait for people to complain that Sonic is too slow. Here's what would happen if Sonic was too fast (and suffering from lag).

Now, if someone could tell me the ending piece after Sonic "dies", that'd be appreciated.
If you notice, he's actually racing the little youtube video bar under him. I love HotDiggedyDemon's videos.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
If you notice, he's actually racing the little youtube video bar under him. I love HotDiggedyDemon's videos.
Wow... He actually is racing Youtube... Then again, with Sonic, the Flash, early Superman, and other speedsters, racing something slow and matching its pace is probably a horrible idea since these guys can accelerate hard and fast.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I don't think they can ever repeat the fun and greatness of the sonic games on the Sega mega drive. I probably won't play this id say.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I like how Sonic has a scarf now, so now he is like every Sonic fan's "original character" where they just MS Paint a scarf on Sonic.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I dont really have a problem since I'm not the target audience and I'm not a huge Sonic fan. I got in with Sonic Adventure and I've played them sporadically since.

I dont mind it appealing to kids since i feel that's what Sonic should be appealing to but i rather it be like the first 4 seasons of Digimon where you didn't feel like they were talking down to kids and it was written for adults and kids where Pokemon felt like they were talking down to kids. Bit of a long shot given recent sonic games but I could still hope :angel:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/07/sonic-boom-sonic-the-hedgehogs-shocking-reinvention
the showrunner compares it to Regular show and pointed out that the game is a prequel to the show so im guessing the show and the game were thought of concurrently and share writers.

I hope Amy has more to do than pine for Sonic.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
I don't like the bandages, knuckles is too big, & the picture looks like a Sonic version of StreetFighter & the trailer looks like a kid version of DragonBall.
It's like they're going further & further from what Sonic was trying to keep him relevant in today's market when the title should've retired long ago.
They're trying to turn E rated into something hardcore & it looks odd.
What's next, Sonic martial arts.

I fail to see how Sonic boom is trying to be hardcore.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

I think this might be the inherent problem with Sonic as a whole. Sonic isn't nearly as timeless as someone like Mario (who also had a very one-dimensional personality). Sonic as a character was very much a product of the late 80s, early 90s "in-your-face dude". Hell, his theme song proclaimed "He's got an attitude~".

That shtick died out in the mid-90s, and lost relevance and charm as time went on. They tried to update him to "skater boi" status by Sonic Adventure, which sorta worked, but that was already becoming strained.

I think if feels odd because Sonic is a product of an era that has passed, and it's difficult to update that character when he's solely based on that era.

It's like flappers, they are a product of the 1920s era, and to try and update them is to remove what actually makes them flappers.

Last edited:

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
The most important thing is that the looks don't matter, it's set in another universe (where have I heard that before...:rolleyes:)

Personally, I haven't enjoyed a Sonic game since Adventure 2 (I thought Lost World was rubbish).

This one kind of reminds me of Sonic Heroes... but I'm not a big fan of that one either.

I chose "I don't care" because I just don't anymore (and that's mostly down to the fact that Nintendo have had their say in the series and that Sega can't seem to do anything for themselves anymore).

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Knuckles looks like he's about to let all his breath out any minute now...

I'm not a huge Sonic fan so not bothered but when I first saw Knuckles like that I thought he looked a bit like he'd been inflated badly. To be honest I don't play the games past the first ever Sonic title so I can't judge on whether it's a good thing, a bad thing or an indifferent thing.

Is Knuckles meant to be a hedgehog too? I never really found that out...

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
:'( Thank you:happy:

Is Knuckles meant to be a hedgehog too? I never really found that out...

He's one of these...
short-beaked-echidna-24T5029-10D.jpg

ECHIDNA! (Although I'm always saying Enchidna... It's like having the brain of a 3 year old sometimes... Although I'm pretty sure all three year olds a pretty clever these days).

There's just endless comments on FB saying 'Knuckles looks like he's on steroids' (yeah, we get it, you don't have to repeat the same comment...).

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Looks like a freaking hedgehog to me...I've just googled the differences and quite honestly I'm going to keep calling Knuckles a hedgehog regardless.

On a side note, echidnas have the cutest-sounding offspring ever: Puggles.

I want a puggle now...

Top Bottom