• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So, to Capcom reboot is this?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Believe it or not, Capcom has a very special definition of "reboot".
I was searching on Capcom-Unity forum and I found this comment:

"Back in july 2012 sven touched up on the concept of the word reboot. Apparently capcoms definition of reboot is different than what people think.

Sven uses resident evil 4 as an example of a reboot. He says a reboot does not throw away any of the canon storylines.

A reboot continues the games storyline but changes the way you play. The camera angle in how you play resident evil made a big difference in how you play."http://www.capcom-unity.com/capcom_...t-thread-new-game-hd-remix-other-ideas?pg=165

Confused?Me too, but this explains that mess "prequel/reboot/ AU/whatever".

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Believe it or not, Capcom has a very special definition of "reboot".
I was searching on Capcom-Unity forum and I found this comment:

"Back in july 2012 sven touched up on the concept of the word reboot. Apparently capcoms definition of reboot is different than what people think.

Sven uses resident evil 4 as an example of a reboot. He says a reboot does not throw away any of the canon storylines.

A reboot continues the games storyline but changes the way you play. The camera angle in how you play resident evil made a big difference in how you play."http://www.capcom-unity.com/capcom_...t-thread-new-game-hd-remix-other-ideas?pg=165

Confused?Me too, but this explains that mess "prequel/reboot/ AU/whatever".

then wtf is DmC because it changed everything no lock on, different character appearance, different story line different everything lol

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
HurrjOo.gif

B-But...then what the f*ck was DmC? Considering that DmC was NOT a continuation of the original series at all, and that it retained a good number of things from DMC (along with hints and shoutouts to the original DMC series like Vergil handing Dante a shotgun ala the DMC1 novel, or Dante saying "Flocking bastards" ala "Flock off Feather face.") but DmC DID NOT continue the original story through a different perspective. It started from the beginning with a new Dante and new setting.

IncarnatedDemon

What Sven says is partially true. Games are mostly about gameplay, so it's a true reboot when you change the gameplay. But when you change story and characters your basically changing things that are not so important for the serie.
For Resident Evil, i have to disagree as i believe Resident Evil is a mix of gameplay + story. In contrast to dmc where the story had less importance.

Let me illustrate Sven's point further. What do you think most gamers would say is dmc's core? Gameplay. So when your changing the core of the game your rebooting. "But dmc's core consists of Dante as well, not just gameplay". Yes that is true, but if you changed Dante only you'd have a reboot that is "less" than if you touched what dmc's core consists mostly of, the gameplay.

What the game's core is is different from game to game. MGS's core for example consists of story by a significant amount (30%+).
It doesn't surprise me that people believe that rebooting is when you change story and characters. In games that have a core that consists mostly of character and story it is true.
But for games that are mostly about gameplay it is not exactly true.

Then again people also believe rebooting is done by companies (like capcom) to "breathe life into serie", when that is just a pr thing. It's to take avantage of a existing fanbase who likes a certain game with certain elements
I.E

why-do-people-think-milking-is-cool-1351636765-nov-26-2012-1-600x500.jpg

I'd say dmc's core consists of:
70% gameplay
25% character
5% story

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Let me illustrate Sven's point further. What do you think most gamers would say is dmc's core? Gameplay. So when your changing the core of the game your rebooting. "But dmc's core consists of Dante as well, not just gameplay". Yes that is true, but if you changed Dante only you'd have a reboot that is "less" than if you touched what dmc's core consists mostly of, the gameplay.
View attachment 739

If DMC's core consist of Dante, then DMC4 wouldn't have the numbers it has now.

What the game's core is is different from game to game. MGS's core for example consists of story by a significant amount (30%+).
It doesn't surprise me that people believe that rebooting is when you change story and characters. In games that have a core that consists mostly of character and story it is true.
But for games that are mostly about gameplay it is not exactly true.

Then again people also believe rebooting is done by companies (like capcom) to "breathe life into serie", when that is just a pr thing. It's to take avantage of a existing fanbase who likes a certain game with certain elements
I.E

why-do-people-think-milking-is-cool-1351636765-nov-26-2012-1-600x500.jpg

But what if I never liked what was originally there and prefered the reboot instead?

70% gameplay
25% character
5% story

IncarnatedDemon

dmc4: Dante was frequently in the story and was also playable. Just because he had a secondary role does not mean they have changed the core.
You liking reboot more than original: Well that's simply your thoughts. You can't alter definitions or reality with your thoughts.

I like dmc3, but that does not change the fact that it's a slight reboot.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
to be fair, Tameem did called the game a rebirth but that just befuddled me :banghead:

But yea im as confused as everybody else:facepalm:

If that's true then Capcom is getting Reboot & Revamp mixed up.
Reboot:In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning.

Revamp:Revamp, informal term for maintenance, repair, and operations.
Revamp (gaming), informal term for modifying a game's stats, items, rules, etc.

The changing of ResidentEvils camera angle is not a rebooting of anything, it revamped the gameplay mechanics.
A reboot is that DevilMayCry-Reboot, as it started a new storyline from it's beginning, totally different characters, totally different universe.

Things like SaintsRow & SaintsRow2 to SaintsRow:The3rd &SaintsRow:The4th are a revamping. As it continues the storyline but changes the engine & gameplay mechanics along the way.

Tenchi Muyo! GXP
Tenchi in Tokyo
Tenchi Universe
is an example of a rebooting a series.

i agree with this.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
to be fair, Tameem did called the game a rebirth but that just befuddled me :banghead:

But yea im as confused as everybody else:facepalm:

i agree with this.

It seems to calm the ****storm that was the DmC PR or prevent it from getting any worse Capcom and NT most likely avoided using the word "reboot" and used other words to make the fans less angry.

Cause they literally called it everything else, reimagining, retelling, rebirth, alternate universe, and any other "RE" that wasn't reboot and only the public (the media/reviewers and fans and what not) referred to it as a reboot.....perhaps DmC was never meant to be a reboot if the people who were responsible for making it (Capcom) never called it as such.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
It was a reboot from the start.
Using the same names, same gerne, etc etc it was a reboot.
Alternate universe was used as an attempt to mop up the mess Capcom made.

If Capcom wanted to make it an alternate universe from the start they would've had vergil as the good guy & never was tempted.

they did have a story like that as they had a light novel where Dante ends traveling to an AU where Vergil was a good guy fighting against Mundus in a post apocalyptic setting:shifty:.

it would have been cool to explore it more in depth:banghead:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Tenchi in Tokyo
Tenchi Universe
is an example of a rebooting a series.
Actually the Tenchi canon is.....weird. They're comprised of more spinoffs than anything and don't downright restart it all. There's Tenchi Muyo and then there was an OVA that basically is a parallel universe with other series being a continuation of that particular one. Eh, I've always considered Tenchi as one of those "slice of life" type shows anyway. Not the best example to get your point across because Tenchi in Tokyo is indeed considered a spinoff.

Tenchi has always flip flopped around. I mean hell, there's a trilogy of movies and not even all of them are part of the same canon. Tenchi Muyo the movie 1 is part of the Universe canon while the sequel The Daughter of Darkness (Mayuka is so kawaii) is actually yet ANOTHER parallel universe and stand alone story with the 3rd movie Tenchi Forever! is the final installment in the Universe canon as well as being the follow up in that universe.

McAvoyfanninghot.gif

It's just SOOOOOO MUCH WEIRDNESS AND FLIP FLOPPING. I can't even keep track of Tenchi all the time myself.

Anyway on a semi-unrelated note, Ryoko :inlove: one of my animated waifus. I watched and loved that show before I even knew the word anime.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

70% gameplay
25% character
5% story
Where the flying flock do you get these numbers and formulas?

They are arbitrary as all hell.

Plus, don't talk about the MGS series like you know it. Kojima is a major story hound and even I can get a little uneasy about how many cutscenes can be in Metal Gear despite me loving the series. Hideo Kojima can talk for hours and f#cking say NOTHING.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
It was a reboot from the start.
Using the same names, same gerne, etc etc it was a reboot.
Alternate universe was used as an attempt to mop up the mess Capcom made.

If Capcom wanted to make it an alternate universe from the start they would've had vergil as the good guy & never was tempted.

Wouldn't the fact that Eva is an angel and not human making Dante and Vergil half demon and half angel rather than half human and half demon and Sparda not well being the same Sparda in DMC who can take down demon emperors like cheesecake and Mundus ruled the mankind where in DMC he was thwarted by Sparda and some other changes warrant it not take place in the same universe that DMC took place in because the 2 settings, background, and lore are completely different making it an alternate universe (reboot or not)?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
If Capcom ever had plans to do a DevilMayCry 5 from the start then yea.
But Capcom didn't really intend on doing that so No.
It was going to be the main universe, the only DevilMayCry universe. This was the reboot of DevilMayCry & it wasn't accepted at all so Capcom or NinjaTheory dubbed it alternate universe to keep what fans they had left.

There were interviews with Itsuno who said he left the ending to DMC4 vague so based on reception is where they can take the sequel.

We don't know (nor you and I don't know) if Capcom never intended on doing DMC5. Itsuno/Eshiro himself stated opening one door doesn't mean closing another.

I mean Capcom did like 6 freaking different MegaMan series but they still continued the original classic series especially after X which can be viewed as a proper sequel to the classic series.

Unless if you work for Capcom and were part of the board meetings or have proof of them claiming that DmC will be replacing DMC its just a baseless assumption or educated guess on your part (and many other people).

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
If Capcom ever had plans to do a DevilMayCry 5 from the start then yea.
But Capcom didn't really intend on doing that so No.
It was going to be the main universe, the only DevilMayCry universe. This was the reboot of DevilMayCry & it wasn't accepted at all so Capcom or NinjaTheory dubbed it alternate universe to keep what fans they had left.

There were interviews with Itsuno who said he left the ending to DMC4 vague so based on reception is where they can take the sequel.

We don't know (nor you and I don't know) if Capcom never intended on doing DMC5. Itsuno/Eshiro himself stated opening one door doesn't mean closing another.

I mean Capcom did like 6 freaking different MegaMan series but they still continued the original classic series especially after X which can be viewed as a proper sequel to the classic series.

Unless if you work for Capcom and were part of the board meetings or have proof of them claiming that DmC will be replacing DMC its just a baseless assumption or educated guess on your part (and many other people).

Top Bottom