• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Simulation sickness???

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Hi,

I was just wondering, does anyone else suffer from simulation sickness.
If you don't know what it is... basically, when you play some games they make you feel sick. Its also called motion sickness.

Apparently, DMC4 is one of the games that commonly causes Simulation sickness.

I wanted to know, does anyone have any tips for stopping the effects of motion sickness. I get it playing Oblivion 4 and The sims 2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thankies
VB

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Try turning the brightness on your TV down. It works around 80-95% of the time. Trust me, I have a friend who gets motion sickness.

Meg

How bad is your motion sickness? If its really bad then maybe ask your doctor. DT's idea is a good one. Make sure you're in a well lit room to.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
A lot of games can cause simulation sickness. Good examples are BioShock 2, Stranglehold, Bioshock, and Mirror's Edge. Devil May Cry 4 may cause a simulation sickness if you set the TV's brightness to the max, although I haven't got one while playing it. Like DreadnaughtDT said, lowering the brightness will help reducing simulation sickness. My other suggestion is to keep your distance between you and your TV while playing video games.

aka958

Don't trust people
That was a common problem for me, usually immense pain in the eye.
But that was at least 3 years ago since that happened you should, lower your screen brightness, play from distance, play in a well lit room and do not play while your tired.
These are the precautions for epilepsi (dunno how to spell it in english), it stands in the beginning of every game manual for any game.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
Nope,I don't.I once suffered from motion sickness[one and only time in my life] and then never again.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
After a while, i have to turn off the console. Its even worse now because i have got a weakened stomache valve. (So if i feel sick... i will be sick).

I will try the suggestions. Thankies.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I've never had that with a game where you can see the character in relation to everything else and turn the camera angles yourself... but I have with Mirror's Edge or racing games where you can use the 'bumper view' instead of seeing the car sprite. So the view is going all over the show every time you turn or leap or whatever. Yeah, those games give me a sore brain.

Not sure that's the same thing as motion sickness - but I get that too unless I'm in the front seat of a car, or driving - apparently it's because what your eyes see needs to match up with the info about your body's orientation and movement that comes from the organs in your inner ear. If the two don't match up and your body feels like it is moving, you will suffer disorientation and 'motion sickness'. So if I'm in the back seat of a car and I can't see a bend that I feel the car's going around it makes me feel like I'm gonna hurl. I think these games are the same only in reverse... the eyes are seeing all this simulated movement but the body isn't feeling it. Makes me feel a bit sick after a while.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
I don't think I have ever had it. When I have been playing games too long my eyes sting and I get a headache.

Romero

Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Vergil'sB*tch;205980 said:
Hi,

I was just wondering, does anyone else suffer from simulation sickness.
If you don't know what it is... basically, when you play some games they make you feel sick. Its also called motion sickness.

Apparently, DMC4 is one of the games that commonly causes Simulation sickness.

I wanted to know, does anyone have any tips for stopping the effects of motion sickness. I get it playing Oblivion 4 and The sims 2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thankies
VB
I've heard of people getting epilepsy from games, but not motion sickness. I hope some of the suggestions in this thread help you. I don't know how big the tv is and how close you sit, but I can figure that sitting too close is not good and perhaps increasing the distance helps. I don't know. The suggestion about screen/room brightness sounds good, I hope it works.

I'm surprised to see The Sims 2 causing this sickness. o_o (I've not tried The Sims 2 but I did try The Sims 1.)

iry

I just get some coca cola and some sweet stuff.. im not sure its the same thing as you.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
I drink cola all the time.

Romero: I think my TV is 28 inches (no idea how big that is in centimeters). The problem is, my bedroom isn't that big, but i'm not that close to the tv either.

Romero

Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
You could also try pills (don't know what they are called), or ginger if you like it. They tested ginger on Mythbusters and it was proved effective against motion sickness.

Someone here suggested Cola but I'd be surprised if sugar helped. Kids get motion sickness easier if they get candy and soda. I guess it would only help if the blood sugar was very low.

Perhaps taking your eyes away from the tv for a second now and then helps preventing it. I don't know, this was just a shot in the dark.

aoshi

I am not familiar with the sickness. I do play for long hours and get exhausted of all dodging and attacks though i am not physically performing it.

But playing DMC3 feels like a 6 foot sword shoved up by whores. I am turning into a blood hungry demon from a swordsman(from gaming mythology).

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
I have an inner ear condition that makes me dizzy a lot of the time. I get sick from games loads - mostly First person shooting things - I've never played them. For the most part DMC has always been fine with me 'cuz it's not first person.

I just get dizzy at really stupid things - I remember getting really dizzy playing DMC4.....I think it's mission 10? when Nero enters a room and has to jump on spinny blade things - that makes me want to puke!

When I do feel bad I just switch it off and go do something else for a while.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Spoke to a doctor to it... all he said was 'meh'

I thought: meh? MEH? will you meh me after I'm sick all over my ps2 and sue you for a new one?!
I knew i wasn't gonna be taken seriously!!

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Are you serious? Just goes to show some people don't care about their jobs...

Should I get Xevnas and Sin to kill him for you? ;)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well, as long as he keeps you sane, I can't get Xevnas and Sin to kill him...

Tell me if he starts sucking balls at his job, okay? :lol:

Top Bottom