• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Similarities between DmC and Classic DMC

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
[I didn't make this, I found it and thought it was interesting. You can read the original here.]

Capcom announced a new title in the Devil May Cry series in 2010, and longtime followers of the franchise cried in agony when they learned it was a reboot and not a sequel. Dante’s new look alone (with short black hair instead of white) sent gamers into a furious frenzy — some going as far as boycotting the release.

Being an enthusiast of the demon-hunting saga myself and having played DmC in its entirety, I can put your fears to rest by saying developer Ninja Theory did not stray too far away from the formula that made Devil May Cry such a huge hit on the PlayStation 2. Hardcore fans have nothing to worry about.
In the images below, you’ll see recurring themes and familiar features from classic Devil May Cry games that made it into DmC. Hover the cursor over the picture to launch the gallery.

dmc-sparda.jpg
-Sparda-
Dante and Vergil's demonic father, the legendary Dark Knight Sparda, makes a cameo appearance in DmC through cutscenes, just like he did in the original Devil May Cry. And just like before, his face is always hidden.
dmc-eva.jpg
-Eva-
Sparda's wife and the mother of Dante and Vergil also makes an appearance through cutscenes. This time we see more of her instead of just a portrait. In the original series, Eva was a human, but in DmC, she is an angel. Her forbidden romance with Sparda cost them their lives.
dmc-amulet.jpg
-Eva’s amulets-
Dante's necklace changed in shape and size, but it still serves as a reminder of the love of his mother, Eva. Vergil also wears an amulet around his neck although his is now blue.
dmc-vergil.jpg
-Vergil-
Dante's twin brother returns, and this time, he is trying to stop the demons instead of helping them. Vergil's outfit changed quite a bit from Devil May Cry 3's version, but he still wields the powerful Yamato sword entrusted to him by his father.
dmc-mundus.jpg
-Mundus-
The Demon King no longer hides in Mallet Island as a giant statue. Now Mundus walks the Earth disguised as a human. If you look at his forehead, you can see three odd marks, which are eyes in his demon form -- the same as in the original Devil May Cry
dmc-friendh3.jpg
Human Allies
Devil May Cry 3 introduced Dante's first human ally, Lady. While she's not in DmC, Ninja Theory added a new female to help out the son of Sparda. Check out the next image to meet her.

dmc-friendh5.jpg
A member of Vergil's antidemon group called The Order, Kat is a medium capable of sensing activity in Limbo, the "other" world. She guides Dante through mazes with the power of her mind. Kat is not capable of defending herself like Lady is, but her assistance as a psychic is crucial in stopping Mundus.
dmc-friendd1.jpg
-Demon allies-
Mundus created Trish and gave her Eva's likeness to manipulate Dante in the original Devil May Cry, but she eventually sided with the devil hunter out of her own free will. I would have loved seeing her in DmC, but the trend of demonic allies continues in the form of Phineas.
dmc-fiendd5.jpg
An old and articulate demon, Phineas shares invaluable information on how to defeat Mundus if Dante helps him find his "eye," a mechanical device that shows the correct way through Limbo's endless mazes. Trish is sexy and tough, but Phineas is wiser and more empathic.
dmc-guns1.jpg

-Ebony & Ivory-
Demons don't like getting shot, and that's why Dante has always carried handguns with him since the first game in the series. The custom pistols Ebony and Ivory make a return in DmC.
dmc-guns5.jpg
The guns look less realistic in DmC than in previous titles, but they work just as well. Special abilities such as the Rain Storm, which lets Dante shoot upside down in the air, are as effective as ever. Besides Ebony and Ivory, Dante's Rebellion sword also makes a comeback.
dmc-enemy.jpg
-Unusual demons-
The tradition of unusual enemy designs continues in DmC, with demons looking more like dolls and machines than the typical pulsating lumps of bloody flesh that populate other mature games, such as Dante's Inferno or Silent Hill.
dmc-boss1.jpg
-Chatty bosses-
Lesser monsters are mute, but bosses sure are chatty. High-ranking demons (like Phantom) don't appreciate Dante's sense of humor, and their verbal exchanges are often hilarious.
dmc-boss5.jpg

Bosses in DmC have plenty to say to Dante, like Poison the succubus here. Their conversation is short but memorable.
dmc-devil.jpg

-Devil Trigger-
Dante's demon form no longer resembles his dad, but the new Devil Trigger still works in the same way: enhanced strength, speed boost, and health regeneration.
dmc-orb.jpg
-Items-
Many consumable items from previous games make a comeback -- like crystallized demon blood (orbs), Vital Stars, and Devil Trigger Stars.
dmc-save.jpg
-Divinity Statues-
Saving your progress still requires finding one of these cool Watcher of Time statues. And just like before, you may also purchase items and upgrade weapons or abilities.
dmc-club3.jpg
-Night club-
In Devil May Cry 3, Dante stumbled upon a ravaged night club called Love Planet. It was deserted, unlike the cabaret from DmC. Proceed to the next image to see it.
dmc-club5.jpg
Mundus's mistress, Lilith, runs a huge night club in Limbo City. It has pulse-pounding music, seizure-inducing lights, and hot strippers. Sadly, Dante has no time to enjoy the show because the dance floor is full of monsters.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
Drek nor the Dreamrunners really didn't say anything to him when Dante made a crack about them. (Technically a boss, but a mini one) The Hunter just called Dante's mother a whore and didn't react.

It is their, but not fully. You forgot one thing that is somewhat the core of DMC as a whole.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
[I didn't make this, I found it and thought it was interesting. You can read the original here.]

Capcom announced a new title in the Devil May Cry series in 2010, and longtime followers of the franchise cried in agony when they learned it was a reboot and not a sequel. Dante’s new look alone (with short black hair instead of white) sent gamers into a furious frenzy — some going as far as boycotting the release.

Being an enthusiast of the demon-hunting saga myself and having played DmC in its entirety, I can put your fears to rest by saying developer Ninja Theory did not stray too far away from the formula that made Devil May Cry such a huge hit on the PlayStation 2. Hardcore fans have nothing to worry about.
In the images below, you’ll see recurring themes and familiar features from classic Devil May Cry games that made it into DmC. Hover the cursor over the picture to launch the gallery.

dmc-sparda.jpg

-Sparda-
Dante and Vergil's demonic father, the legendary Dark Knight Sparda, makes a cameo appearance in DmC through cutscenes, just like he did in the original Devil May Cry. And just like before, his face is always hidden.

I choose old Sparda. Though new Sparda has much more potential with his story, then some demon who soloed an army with no sweat.

dmc-eva.jpg

-Eva-
Sparda's wife and the mother of Dante and Vergil also makes an appearance through cutscenes. This time we see more of her instead of just a portrait. In the original series, Eva was a human, but in DmC, she is an angel. Her forbidden romance with Sparda cost them their lives.

I choose new Eva. She's more interesting with her looks and had more character development.

dmc-amulet.jpg

-Eva’s amulets-
Dante's necklace changed in shape and size, but it still serves as a reminder of the love of his mother, Eva. Vergil also wears an amulet around his neck although his is now blue.

Old necklace. It was more unique looking. If New Dante kept the necklace from the 2010 trailer, I'd go for that.

dmc-vergil.jpg

-Vergil-
Dante's twin brother returns, and this time, he is trying to stop the demons instead of helping them. Vergil's outfit changed quite a bit from Devil May Cry 3's version, but he still wields the powerful Yamato sword entrusted to him by his father.

This is a tough one. I liked DMC3 Vergil for his ruthlessness and style with all three of his weapons, but I also am impressed with new Vergil's evil road to power...old Vergil.
dmc-mundus.jpg

-Mundus-
The Demon King no longer hides in Mallet Island as a giant statue. Now Mundus walks the Earth disguised as a human. If you look at his forehead, you can see three odd marks, which are eyes in his demon form -- the same as in the original Devil May Cry

Old Mundus. Just seemed more evil.

dmc-friendh3.jpg

Human Allies
Devil May Cry 3 introduced Dante's first human ally, Lady. While she's not in DmC, Ninja Theory added a new female to help out the son of Sparda. Check out the next image to meet her.

dmc-friendh5.jpg

A member of Vergil's antidemon group called The Order, Kat is a medium capable of sensing activity in Limbo, the "other" world. She guides Dante through mazes with the power of her mind. Kat is not capable of defending herself like Lady is, but her assistance as a psychic is crucial in stopping Mundus.

Gotta go with Lady on this one. Sorry, Kat:(
tumblr_mh7ocp6mSH1qhqpozo1_500.png

dmc-friendd1.jpg

-Demon allies-
Mundus created Trish and gave her Eva's likeness to manipulate Dante in the original Devil May Cry, but she eventually sided with the devil hunter out of her own free will. I would have loved seeing her in DmC, but the trend of demonic allies continues in the form of Phineas.

dmc-fiendd5.jpg

An old and articulate demon, Phineas shares invaluable information on how to defeat Mundus if Dante helps him find his "eye," a mechanical device that shows the correct way through Limbo's endless mazes. Trish is sexy and tough, but Phineas is wiser and more empathic.

Phinias. He actually helped Dante get power instead of be a familiar face to him. (Trish)
dmc-guns1.jpg

-Ebony & Ivory-
Demons don't like getting shot, and that's why Dante has always carried handguns with him since the first game in the series. The custom pistols Ebony and Ivory make a return in DmC.

dmc-guns5.jpg

The guns look less realistic in DmC than in previous titles, but they work just as well. Special abilities such as the Rain Storm, which lets Dante shoot upside down in the air, are as effective as ever. Besides Ebony and Ivory, Dante's Rebellion sword also makes a comeback.

In terms of power; old E&I. But in the unique looks department; new E&I. All in all; old E&I.
dmc-enemy.jpg

-Unusual demons-
The tradition of unusual enemy designs continues in DmC, with demons looking more like dolls and machines than the typical pulsating lumps of bloody flesh that populate other mature games, such as Dante's Inferno or Silent Hill.

Old ones. Seemed more dark and sinister.
dmc-boss1.jpg

-Chatty bosses-
Lesser monsters are mute, but bosses sure are chatty. High-ranking demons (like Phantom) don't appreciate Dante's sense of humor, and their verbal exchanges are often hilarious.

dmc-boss5.jpg

Bosses in DmC have plenty to say to Dante, like Poison the succubus here. Their conversation is short but memorable.

New bosses. They may have been easy, but they had interesting characters. And I prefer a boss who speaks its mind, and doesn't sound like they're reading out of a hamlet book.

dmc-devil.jpg

-Devil Trigger-
Dante's demon form no longer resembles his dad, but the new Devil Trigger still works in the same way: enhanced strength, speed boost, and health regeneration.

New DT. They actually had a unique attribute to their powers. Dante's can freeze time and send his enemies up, and Vergil's can create a doppelganger.

dmc-orb.jpg

-Items-
Many consumable items from previous games make a comeback -- like crystallized demon blood (orbs), Vital Stars, and Devil Trigger Stars.

Prefer old items because of their looks.
dmc-save.jpg

-Divinity Statues-
Saving your progress still requires finding one of these cool Watcher of Time statues. And just like before, you may also purchase items and upgrade weapons or abilities.

Old ones. Come on! Its a lady with a lions head holding an hour glass!
dmc-club3.jpg

-Night club-
In Devil May Cry 3, Dante stumbled upon a ravaged night club called Love Planet. It was deserted, unlike the cabaret from DmC. Proceed to the next image to see it.

dmc-club5.jpg

Mundus's mistress, Lilith, runs a huge night club in Limbo City. It has pulse-pounding music, seizure-inducing lights, and hot strippers. Sadly, Dante has no time to enjoy the show because the dance floor is full of monsters.

Come on. Do I really have to choose?

[You can read all the other similarities, carrying on from here.]

Railazel

Umm... Is it me or are these similarities small in comparison to how much they contrast each other? I mean, it's like I'm looking at two different games with the same tropes.

AlchemistFromEden

Umm... Is it me or are these similarities small in comparison to how much they contrast each other? I mean, it's like I'm looking at two different games with the same tropes.
they contrast each other because this is SUPPOSED to be different from the rest of the other games, not a carbon copy, which is a good thing

Railazel

they contrast each other because this is SUPPOSED to be different from the rest of the other games, not a carbon copy, which is a good thing

I understand that. I'm really saying that out of spite for people saying that this a DMC game. It isn't. It is a well- worthy member of the franchise but it's too different to be in the same "spirit" or "feeling" or "DNA" as the other games.

DragonMaster2010

I understand that. I'm really saying that out of spite for people saying that this a DMC game. It isn't. It is a well- worthy member of the franchise but it's too different to be in the same "spirit" or "feeling" or "DNA" as the other games.

So was DMC2 in terms of gameplay. And so was DMC3 since it changed the style of DMC's gameplay. You can't say "DmC is too different" when if you were to play DMC1 for a few hours and then play DMC3, you'd see a difference.

AlchemistFromEden

all of the games have a different dna, compare dmc1 to dmc4, instead of being set in a castle where you solve puzzles as often as you experience combat while in dmc4 puzzle solving id non existant, so does that mean it has the same dna, no

DragonMaster2010

I really don't think anyone here knows what "DMC DNA" is if all we can say is "NT doesn't know the DNA of DMC." If they don't know (The people who actually WORK with the people who know the DNA), then what makes you think you, as a fan, would without asking them straight up?

Just my two cents.

AlchemistFromEden

I really don't think anyone here knows what "DMC DNA" is if all we can say is "NT doesn't know the DNA of DMC." If they don't know (The people who actually WORK with the people who know the DNA), then what makes you think you, as a fan, would without asking them straight up?

Just my two cents.
to translate this comment, people should stop talking out of their ass

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
So you're saying that DmC doesn't give off the same vibe as the previous ones do right? I gothca.

Top Bottom