• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Shouldn't we DMC fans be grateful about DmC instead of acting like it was something unwanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I really don't see how DMC4 suddenly 'killed the DMC series', while the other DMCs supposedly did not :/
DMC4 started a new plot, just like DMC2 did. Heck, just like DMC3 did. If Capcom wanted to make a consistent story, the series should've been rebooted after DMC2, or even after DMC1, since Dante already killed his greatest enemy, Mundus. However, Capcom never seemed interested in making sure the series got a consistent story. Somebody even said that Kamiya's plan was to make each DMC game different and separate from the last in terms of plot.

DMC3 had plotholes just like DMC4 did. Vergil was alive even though in DMC1 he had been missing since he was eight.
In DMC4, yes, Nero is a plothole, but in the thread Nero's Origins we managed to come up with explanations as to where he came from. Capcom decided not to use their writers' creativity, and said Nero is Vergil's son. That doesn't make sense any which way you cut it, whether you see it from the viewpoint of Vergil's personality not matching him having a quarter human son at the age of eleven/twelve, or the timeline not matching.

Meg

DMC 3 gave the series a CPR.but.. but i am DMC fan and i want people to be grateful of this reboot.

I want people to drop this sort of bitter girlfriend attitude and embrace DmC with a positive attitude.
Not to jump down your throat but why? Whhhhhy? I'm so tired of this attitude of: "just accept/embrace DmC." Why should I? I'm a DMC fan. I like DMC for a variety of reasons. DmC doesn't have anything in it that I like from the original series. Why should I, or anyone who feels the same way as me, embrace DmC? It's not being a bitter girlfriend. It's being tired of having something we have no interest in get shoved down our throats as something we have to accept and love or we are just blind haters. Many of us (like me) have been hearing this for years. It needs to stop.

ACK!

*heaves heavy sigh*

Yeah. :|

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Not to jump down your throat but why? Whhhhhy? I'm so tired of this attitude of: "just accept/embrace DmC." Why should I? I'm a DMC fan. I like DMC for a variety of reasons. DmC doesn't have anything in it that I like from the original series. Why should I, or anyone who feels the same way as me, embrace DmC? It's not being a bitter girlfriend. It's being tired of having something we have no interest in get shoved down our throats as something we have to accept and love or we are just blind haters. Many of us (like me) have been hearing this for years. It needs to stop.

ACK!

*heaves heavy sigh*

Exactly. I've been hearing that stuff for way too long myself. I come to threads that talk about why DmC is not accepted by everyone - I come to threads that ask why that is, I answer, and then all hell breaks loose for no apparent reason, because many of those types of threads are not actually meant to discuss each other's feelings rationally and decently. Some of them are just meant to try to convince people 'DmC is better' or DmC should be accepted, because nobody likes a 'hater'. On the other side is the people who are too stuck up to admit that DmC is a good game. If you like to play good games and don't really care that DMC has been changed dramatically in terms of atmosphere, characters, plot, soundtrack and such, that's great. However, not everyone shares your opinion. It's not a bad thing to hate or dislike something; it just means you have a personality.
I will tolerate DmC. Fine. Accept it? Hell to the no. No offense intended to anyone, of course (although I'll bet somebody's going to start flaming in like thirty minutes).

Reactions: Meg

Meg

Exactly. I've been hearing that stuff for way too long myself. I come to threads that talk about why DmC is not accepted by everyone - I come to threads that ask why that is, I answer, and then all hell breaks loose for no apparent reason, because many of those types of threads are not actually meant to discuss each other's feelings rationally and decently. Some of them are just meant to try to convince people 'DmC is better' or DmC should be accepted, because nobody likes a 'hater'. On the other side is the people who are too stuck up to admit that DmC is a good game. If you like to play good games and don't really care that DMC has been changed dramatically in terms of atmosphere, characters, plot, soundtrack and such, that's great. However, not everyone shares your opinion. It's not a bad thing to hate or dislike something; it just means you have a personality.
I will tolerate DmC. Fine. Accept it? Hell to the no. No offense intended to anyone, of course (although I'll bet somebody's going to start flaming in like thirty minutes).
Exactly! If DmC was called anything else, if it had no connection to DMC, then the fact that I couldn't care less about it would be fine. But for some reason, because it's a Devil May Cry game, I'm obligated to like it. Because liking something just because of a label is what we need to be doing.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Alright, 'sealed in another dimension', then. The point is, he was defeated in DMC1, and he did his little ''you haven't seen the last of me!'' speech like every villain typically does. He hasn't been seen since. If he can't truly be defeated, then there's no point in making him return anyway. He'd just keep doing his speech every time :p

In DMC4 right when Nero faces Mundus there is a sign that says "Mundus Vivenidi" or something which is Latin for "Mundus Lives" hinting at Mundus's return.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton

ACK!

*heaves heavy sigh*

^This

i agree, I keep going around and people go and say "Accept it and deal with it." I give a reasons why I don't like the game calmly and they double back and just say "Oh your mad about the hair." or " Oh you can't accept change because your a whiny fanboy."

There are two types of changes, there are bad changes and there are good change, and in my opinion the reboot was a bad change, so I think to myself:" why are you telling me to accept what I tried and didn't like? Remember don't like it, don't buy it?"

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
In DMC4 right when Nero faces Mundus there is a sign that says "Mundus Vivenidi" or something which is Latin for "Mundus Lives" hinting at Mundus's return.

You're right, I remember that sign now - Mundus Vivendi. Well, I guess he's gonna return in DMC5 (if that game will ever be made) and do his DMC1 speech again when he gets defeated... again.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Exactly! If DmC was called anything else, if it had no connection to DMC, then the fact that I couldn't care less about it would be fine. But for some reason, because it's a Devil May Cry game, I'm obligated to like it. Because liking something just because of a label is what we need to be doing.

Perfectly said. I mean, really... ''I support Devil May Cry, therefore I support/buy DmC''? Yeah, well, DmC isn't even part of the same series. It seems to me that they're being the fanboys, not us. Not that that's an inherently bad thing - it's just not how everybody thinks.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
To Meg, Lionhart, and Dusk Stalker:

ACK!

*heaves heavy sigh*

^This

i agree, I keep going around and people go and say "Accept it and deal with it." I give a reasons why I don't like the game calmly and they double back and just say "Oh your mad about the hair." or " Oh you can't accept change because your a whiny fanboy."

There are two types of changes, there are bad changes and there are good change, and in my opinion the reboot was a bad change, so I think to myself:" why are you telling me to accept what I tried and didn't like? Remember don't like it, don't buy it?"

I think the reason behind it is those "fanboys" are getting sick and tired of all the negativity towards DmC. They gave it a chance, but they got labelled (like me) too much by the anti-DmC people. And so, they began blindly generalizing the entire anti-DmC people as "fanboy" as well and finding out they only looked at the first reaction since the TGS 2010 trailer (hence the "hair" issue). They got so mad that they went as far as that, so mad they failed to see why...

Trust me in what I say. I've been labelled and I wanted to fight fire with fire. Then I realized that won't work, for I will go down the path of the cycle of violence.
<insert negative feeling here> begets more <insert the same negative feeling here>!

I don't want any bad blood boiling further!

I think I said this before in the thread "What Happened to Us?" by DMCGamer1989:
It's a psychological impact.

But gameplay wasn't that good (not so close to DMC1, DMC3, or both combined; DMC4 didn't feel that close to DMC3 either. Maybe I had a hard time with the Style-switching or the fact all of Dante's weapons are stored for quick-cycling, or even Dante retreading Nero's path), so... fine!

But I don't care about change. So there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" change. Life is all about change; nothing lasts forever!

But I can understand all of your sentiments why you dislike DmC. As I said, it is good, but not as good as DMC1 and DMC3 combined (even DMC4 didn't live up to my standards).

I dont think DMC4 killed it, i just think people were fed up with the story and the lack of progression and care (percieved or not) put into it so it caused some to want to jump ship and it led some to believe in the reboot more than others.
Because there are gamers whose gaming standards is having a balance between gameplay and storytelling, alongside replay value! And you are looking at one now.
  • They probably hated Nero, fearing he'd replace Dante's main character spotlight.
  • They probably didn't like Dante retreading the same path Nero went to (like me).
  • They probably didn't like Dante having fewer missions than Nero.
There are more reasons why people think DMC4 killed it. Trust me; I didn't like DMC4 entirely (gameplay is good, but not as good as DMC3's and most of it are a DMC3 copy+paste)...

After all this, I think I can be safe to say that this series committed suicide! It killed itself! :mad:

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

I think the reason behind it is those "fanboys" are getting sick and tired of all the negativity towards DmC. They gave it a chance, but they got labelled (like me) too much by the anti-DmC people. And so, they began blindly generalizing the entire anti-DmC people as "fanboy" as well and finding out they only looked at the first reaction since the TGS 2010 trailer (hence the "hair" issue). They got so mad that they went as far as that, so mad they failed to see why...

Trust me in what I say. I've been labelled and I wanted to fight fire with fire. Then I realized that won't work, for I will go down the path of the cycle of violence.
<insert negative feeling here> begets more <insert the same negative feeling here>!

(1) But I don't care about change. So there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" change. Life is all about change; nothing lasts forever!

I feel for both sides at the table, but (1) just because you don't care about change doesn't mean 'negative change and positive change don't exist'. The change to DmC was, for many people, a negative change. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean their feelings or standpoints can be disregarded or vanish into thin air. From what I've noticed (from DmC's sales as well as objective arguments concerning gameplay, characters, soundtrack and script), DmC is simply not as good as DMC3 is, or as DMC1 was in 2001. Or equally good at best. So we've got a change from great to 'good', or a change that hasn't improved anything. In my book, that's a negative transition.

Aside from that, things don't always need to change. This was one of those cases. If DMC was dying, then I'd say let it rest in peace. Otherwise, people are going to get ****ed off at each other like what's happened with DmC and DMC.

What the three of us are arguing is that people need to stop blindly generalizing. We keep throwing each other on one pile due to past experiences, but it's been years now. Time for both sides - yes, the people who like DmC too - to get over it. DmC is not 'your' game, DMC is not 'our' game; it's just a game. Criticizing both should be acceptable.

After all this, I think I can be safe to say that this series committed suicide! It killed itself! :mad:

It already did that with DMC2, or even DMC1, considering Sparda's greatest enemy (Mundus) was already defeated in that one. This series should never have existed in the first place; it was supposed to be Resident Evil 4. Then RE4 actually came along and destroyed some of the things we liked about RE. In the end, DMC1 (or the DMCs) as well as RE4/5/6 caused pain.

Meg

snip for space
Well yeah. The amount of hate directed at people who liked DmC after its initial announcement was staggering. I wouldn't say I was "anti-DmC" so much as on the "this looks stupid" side. Regardless, I still noticed the amount of hate getting throw at DmC and sometimes even the people who liked the game. But here's the thing: it's a game. People throwing hate at a game is not a personal attack against anyone. Complaining about all the things you hate about the game is fair. No one should get offended by that because it's not a personal attack against anyone. So having DmC fans get that upset and fed up is ridiculous when you look at it like that.

Unfortunately, there were, and still are, a lot of DmC fans who get personally attacked over liking the game. I can totally understand that having something you like trashed is hard. Especially when you are getting attacked right along with it. But here's the thing, justifying DmC fans now attacking and shaming DMC fans who dislike the reboot isn't right. Especially when all DMC fans who dislike it are lumped together. Even if they haven't done anything but dislike the game.

Both sides need perspective. It's a video game. If people are attacking you and it's making you upset, then go to a different website. Turn off the computer. Or make a PM just for people to discuss what they like about the game. OR! Report them. Now if it's just the game that is being attacked, then put an icepack out your butt hurt and chill out because it's just a game. Failing that, turn off your computer and play the game instead.

And the people who attack DmC fans need to chill out too! What happened to us? Immaturity happened. People who don't know how to shut up and not take things personally flocked to this website while more and more sensible people left because they didn't want to deal with it. So now we have a site filled with mudslingers. Not naming any names. There are still plenty of chill people here, many of which joined up after DmC was announced.

Basically, DmC revealed just how stupid and immature people can be. Because this is the Internet and everyone has to have their say no matter what.

/Rant

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I feel for both sides at the table, but (1) just because you don't care about change doesn't mean 'negative change and positive change don't exist'. The change to DmC was, for many people, a negative change. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean their feelings or standpoints can be disregarded or vanish into thin air. From what I've noticed (from DmC's sales as well as objective arguments concerning gameplay, characters, soundtrack and script), DmC is simply not as good as DMC3 is, or as DMC1 was in 2001. Or equally good at best. So we've got a change from great to 'good', or a change that hasn't improved anything. In my book, that's a negative transition.

Aside from that, things don't always need to change. This was one of those cases. If DMC was dying, then I'd say let it rest in peace. Otherwise, people are going to get ****ed off at each other like what's happened with DmC and DMC.
I'm sorry, Lionheart. But none of what you say about change matters! Nothing will always go in anyone's way! The world never revolved around anybody! That's why there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" change for me! This is my disillusionment towards this fanbase in which I have begun disassociating myself as I do not think of being a part of it, but rather, be an individual fan of Devil May Cry!

Except I have to agree with these...
What the three of us are arguing is that people need to stop blindly generalizing. We keep throwing each other on one pile due to past experiences, but it's been years now. Time for both sides - yes, the people who like DmC too - to get over it. DmC is not 'your' game, DMC is not 'our' game; it's just a game. Criticizing both should be acceptable.
That's right. All because of just one measly video game! The generalization needs to stop now!
Nothing is without both pro and con! There are some instances that, despite the pros of the game, I don't like it, and vice versa...
I always think all of the video games I like (and even dislike out of irony) as just a game in the end... No matter the graphics, gameplay, story, replay value, music, etc! It may be a passion for me (I've been a gamer since I was a kid owning a FamiCom), but at the end of the day, they are all just games! This is what we need to relax on, eh? That's just it! Nothing more, nothing less!

It already did that with DMC2, or even DMC1, considering Sparda's greatest enemy (Mundus) was already defeated in that one. This series should never have existed in the first place; it was supposed to be Resident Evil 4. Then RE4 actually came along and destroyed some of the things we liked about RE. In the end, DMC1 (or the DMCs) as well as RE4/5/6 caused pain.
It was a mistake to turn DMC into a series anyway. Why I said this? I have made a thread here in the DMC General Discussion sub-forum on what DMC should've been if it was still under Hideki Kamiya's direction, in which he intended that it would've been similar to Castlevania (the classic Dracula timeline that is), in which I said 'No wonder DMC1 took place mostly in a castle".
But you do have a point. Now I'd like to turn away from Devil May Cry as a series and think of it as nothing more but a one-hit-wonder, unless Kamiya-san wanted it the way he wanted the series to go through. Check out that thread to see what I mean.

Well yeah. The amount of hate directed at people who liked DmC after its initial announcement was staggering. I wouldn't say I was "anti-DmC" so much as on the "this looks stupid" side. Regardless, I still noticed the amount of hate getting throw at DmC and sometimes even the people who liked the game. But here's the thing: it's a game. People throwing hate at a game is not a personal attack against anyone. Complaining about all the things you hate about the game is fair. No one should get offended by that because it's not a personal attack against anyone. So having DmC fans get that upset and fed up is ridiculous when you look at it like that.
I am not snipping this for the sake of space here, Meg. I just want to reply word by word.

But trust me. I got fed up of all the negativity, as I am one of those people wanting to give DmC a fighting fair chance. But in the end, after all that negativity or positivity it received, it's just a video game, no matter how much I like it and how much others dislike it... It's just that some people go as far as saying that it could be a "second religion" to them or such; they'd go defensive if some game gets criticized but will be happy if praised... So that kind of fanboyism happens, you know? No matter how far my gaming passion goes, at the end of the day, they're just video games...
Unfortunately, there were, and still are, a lot of DmC fans who get personally attacked over liking the game. I can totally understand that having something you like trashed is hard. Especially when you are getting attacked right along with it. But here's the thing, justifying DmC fans now attacking and shaming DMC fans who dislike the reboot isn't right. Especially when all DMC fans who dislike it are lumped together. Even if they haven't done anything but dislike the game.
Like I said, fighting fire with fire will only cause more harm than good...

Both sides need perspective. It's a video game. If people are attacking you and it's making you upset, then go to a different website. Turn off the computer. Or make a PM just for people to discuss what they like about the game. OR! Report them. Now if it's just the game that is being attacked, then put an icepack out your butt hurt and chill out because it's just a game. Failing that, turn off your computer and play the game instead.
In the end, everything is just a video game. That's why I exist here in DMC.org, discuss anything mostly on Devil May Cry, in its pros and cons.

And the people who attack DmC fans need to chill out too! What happened to us? Immaturity happened. People who don't know how to shut up and not take things personally flocked to this website while more and more sensible people left because they didn't want to deal with it. So now we have a site filled with mudslingers. Not naming any names. There are still plenty of chill people here, many of which joined up after DmC was announced.
I think I am starting to turn away from not just the DMC as a franchise, but this site too if that is the case... But I would like to be the chill people instead just for me to stay here... :)

Basically, DmC revealed just how stupid and immature people can be. Because this is the Internet and everyone has to have their say no matter what.
/Rant

The problem with that right to say is to do so in an even ungrateful manner... Fighting fire with fire makes the world go for the worse, causing humanity to eventually go down in their path of annihilating each other until humanity becomes extinct by their own hands! :(

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I'm sorry, Lionheart. But none of what you say about change matters! Nothing will always go in anyone's way! The world never revolved around anybody! That's why there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" change for me! This is my disillusionment towards this fanbase in which I have begun disassociating myself as I do not think of being a part of it, but rather, be an individual fan of Devil May Cry!

(1) What if a game were objectively worse than the games before it? If it were a bad reboot?
Sorry, but your view on this matter doesn't make sense to me if you apply it to the case in (1) that sentence. Some change is good, some change is fine, some change is bad, and we have to deal with that.

No matter the graphics, gameplay, story, replay value, music, etc! It may be a passion for me (I've been a gamer since I was a kid owning a FamiCom), but at the end of the day, they are all just games! This is what we need to relax on, eh? That's just it! Nothing more, nothing less!

I personally would want good games, I wouldn't just go ''oh well, I won't play it, then''. People have the right to voice how they feel about certain things. Some things are just objectively worse than things that came before it (or after it, doesn't matter which). I won't be the one to accept that by being indifferent about it and 'buying it anyway'. I literally can't afford to buy everything in sight. Nor would I want to support one thing over the other if that thing is worse.

It was a mistake to turn DMC into a series anyway. Why I said this? I have made a thread here in the DMC General Discussion sub-forum on what DMC should've been if it was still under Hideki Kamiya's direction, in which he intended that it would've been similar to Castlevania.

Ah right, I think I read some posts there a while ago.

We should all have a good understanding of logic and what it means to have an opinion, but not everyone does. This is always the case, whether it's on the forum or out on the street. There's always people who can't bring forth solid arguments for their case. They use their emotions as a way to start a debate, and it doesn't work. Emotions at least need to be based on something, after all. I'm not referring to anyone, btw, it's just a hypothetical case of 'one should' and 'one shouldn't'.

IncarnatedDemon

Good change is defined as pleasing majority of fans but at same time being something worthy of praise.

Bad change is not pleasing majority of fans and not being worthy of praise.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I disagree. This video shows that dmc4 is worthy of praise:
Oh wait what's that ? a combo video justifies the bad story ?

good change .
As for satisfying fans, it sold 2.6M so i dont think many people find it "bad change".
Yes people do... many members on this forum don't like DMC 4's ****ty story and horribly written characters.

And how much a game sells shows jacksh!t about how fans feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom