• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Should universities ask about sexual orientation?

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
Nice insults Dani. Awesome you are, I told my points and views, obviously you were offended and had to insult them. I never insulted you, I just told how I see things and small parts that happened to make me think like that.

Are you going to **** on me for liking a special political side too?

All I see is that you call me ignorant but no real arguments to why. Congrats?
I didn't use arguments? Yes, I did, actually. I used a fair bit. I will admit I was being rude about them, yes, but I did use arguments to state my points.

I'll try to be less insulting/rude if you reread my post and find the arguments I put.

"Do you dislike my post? Please reread in case you misunderstood my point."

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Nice insults Dani. Awesome you are, I told my points and views, obviously you were offended and had to insult them. I never insulted you, I just told how I see things and small parts that happened to make me think like that.

Are you going to **** on me for liking a special political side too?

All I see is that you call me ignorant but no real arguments to why. Congrats?
Dude... you have to realize that you basically described yourself as a pseudo-homophobe, hinting to angst between yourself and gays. Why wouldn't there be? You dislike their company due to their sexual orientation which you probably base off of a stereotype since personalities and lifestyles vary just as much whether you be straight or gay. Generalizations are the death of every life outlook. ;)

I'm all for voicing opinions and free speech and all that jazz, but how could you step into the spot light, voice all of this, then be angry that someone in said group got get offended? I get that you weren't trying to troll anybody, but that's basically what trolling is. Saying something that would incite a reaction.

EDIT: I wanted to add a 'now kiss and make up you two' but I decided that given the subject at hand it would not have been the best idea.

aka958

Don't trust people
Dude... you have to realize that you basically described yourself as a pseudo-homophobe, hinting to angst between yourself and gays. Why wouldn't there be? You dislike their company due to their sexual orientation which you probably base off of a stereotype since personalities and lifestyles vary just as much whether you be straight or gay. Generalizations are the death of every life outlook. ;)

I'm all for voicing opinions and free speech and all that jazz, but how could you step into the spot light, voice all of this, then be angry that someone in said group got get offended? I get that you weren't trying to troll anybody, but that's basically what trolling is. Saying something that would incite a reaction.

EDIT: I wanted to add a 'now kiss and make up you two' but I decided that given the subject at hand it would not have been the best idea.

I didn't have any intent on trolling yes. And from the start of the thread I did nothing but contribute to the subject by putting my opinion in there.
If people incite and then accuse me of trolling how am I to be sure I can ever tell my opinion?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
>.>
The only reason I can think why a college would want to know the gender preference of its students is to offer services exclusive to that orientation that won't apply to the, as they say, 'straight' peeps. Considering how many students get a reality wake-up call in college (can't deal with the work load, crack under pressure, turn to drugs to 'get away' from 'life', etc), it's a double-dose of the typical college-student pressures for the people who are gay/bi, because of their sexuality. They're more prone to depression, is what I'm saying.

That aside, any information of that sort that you hand over to a college ought to be kept confidential and shared only with the people that need to know, eg. tutors/college counsellors, etc. There must be a fineprint somewhere that says the information provided will be kept for the college's records alone and not plastered over the walls for all and sundry to read, you know?

I doubt any self-respecting college will want to know the sexual orientation of its students for the purpose of discriminating against them. That seems petty and juvenile, also very unprofessional. Aren't colleges all about reputation?

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
I didn't have any intent on trolling yes. And from the start of the thread I did nothing but contribute to the subject by putting my opinion in there.
If people incite and then accuse me of trolling how am I to be sure I can ever tell my opinion?
Right, so if there were a thread going on discussing discrimination-free workplaces and I were to say that I personally do not enjoy working with women and I thought they were incompetent workers (I don't), it would be a girl's fault for getting offended? All I was doing was describing myself as a justified sexist because it's from my own personal experience.

Now, I could do that or I could ask myself what my "contribution" is really going to accomplish. In this case, it will undoubtedly end in everyone here with ovaries taking it as a personal attack, and rightly so. If you find that it's 100% impossible to think, and I mean really think, about the ramifications of your posts then maybe you should redirect your efforts into choosing which threads this sort of thing happens in and avoiding them altogether.

It's not wrong to post something edgy, but you have to at least be open about discussing it. Post it in a way that won't make you look close-minded and be open to talk about why you feel the way you do - and don't feel afronted when someone takes offense so you can calmly explain where you're coming from rather than being snyde and sarcastic.

I'm not saying the response you received was appropriate, but if you're going to excersize your right to free speech here, be a grown up and clean up after yourself rather than being shocked that anyone would take offense from what you said.

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
I'm not saying the response you received was appropriate, but if you're going to excersize your right to free speech here, be a grown up and clean up after yourself rather than being shocked that anyone would take offense from what you said.
Agreed. I know my response was far from appropriate (which is why I'm not going to be responding to his PM until I've cooled down some more) but seeing as I am a part of the LGBTQQIA community (being a pansexual genderqueer) of course I am going to be offended by what Aka said. Anyone who's dealt with the hardships of that community or who is close to someone like that is most likely going to find it offensive.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
cheez: the woman thing...it's already happened... more than a year ago.

If you befriended someone and after a couple of years of being great friends would you turn your back on them if they announced to you that they were gay?

There are homophobes, bullies and ignorant people out there, which is why its a good idea why no one should be asked about their SO.
But, also no matter what sexual preference someone has shouldn't be frowned on or hidden away like some shameful secret. Maybe it should be a preference? Someone's SO should only be disclosed Voluntarily (ie, if that person feels comfortable enough).

Living in ignorance is excellent, but sadly, it's not completely possible (believe me, I know).

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Blimey squared, that's one hell of a group of people...now I feel left out and totally non-special for being just plain old straight :(

Might go create my own minority group so I can feel fuzzy inside again...

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
Blimey squared, that's one hell of a group of people...now I feel left out and totally non-special for being just plain old straight :(

Might go create my own minority group so I can feel fuzzy inside again...
Allies are straight. :)

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
cheez: the woman thing...it's already happened... more than a year ago.
no ****?
and i was trying to think of something that happened (third paragraph) for a period of time on another forum....

oh, and don't forget to read that ever-so-classic signature.
Disclaimer:

By reading this user's posts you hereby forfeit all rights including but not limited to; complaining, getting upset or angry, being offended, posting an image, video, link or any other form of media in retaliation, mentioning anything the user has said elsewhere, arguing, insulting the user, trolling the user and/or reporting him for disruptive/offensive behavior.

This user claims no responsibility for any comments that are hurtful, insensitive or otherwise offensive.
and take note, despite his liability waiving he did get banned in the end.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Think I'm coming Into this thread too late - what I think has already been said. Basically I don't agree with it, it's wrong to ask and they are probably asking the question so they can say 'We are a welcoming university with 38% of people from the LGBT community' (38% being my random number).

Top Bottom