• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Should I Write This? (Inspired by DMC3, P4G, HP, & Metroidvania)

So... write it?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Note: I had forgotten to put the word "inspired" in big ol' quotation marks so, allow me to clarify:

"Inspired" (read: basically ripped off of) by all these games and movies.

----------------------------------------------
Ok... well, I'll be the very first to admit that this probably isn't the best idea, but I've thought about what I've wanted to write, and laid out a bit of a 'blueprint' for it.

----------------------------------------------

That's as far as I've gotten.

Procrastination and laziness (and perhaps a bit of gluttony) are probably some of my biggest obstacles when putting "words to screen" -- as much as I like my idea, I'm still too caught up in just... well.. wasting time.

As much fun as it is (as most time-wasters are), I know that it would be better to "create" time-wasters instead of "consuming" them.

However, here's my primary obstacle: every time I see something a new idea (that I like) from one of my time-wasters (TV games, books, etc.), I simply must file it in my head for further use.

------------------------------------------------

AoT SPOILERS

For example, there's this one part in AoT where the protagonist gets punched in the face by his titan enemy. His jaw falls off and I thought that looked really great.

I was thinking that, instead of the above jaw-breaking, my "Gary-Stu" character (yes, it's one of those stories) could just get the skin on one side of his jaw ripped off, so that his teeth were visible, giving him a semi-permanent "scowl".

Until he heals, anyway.

-----------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the people in the story heal rather quickly (at least in the "netherworld" dimension anyway), and can only be defeated when their stamina runs out --

-- similar to DMC3, and how Vergil wasn't killed even though he got sliced in half Darth Maul style... in that universe, it seems as though their stamina has to run out first before dying.

Oh and if I'm wrong about that rule then apologies in advance.

Also, their souls can be kept in containers to prevent them from resurrecting --

-- I'm putting in a bit of Sands of Time in there too for good measure -- the only way to permanently defeat the enemy was to absorb them into the dagger, in case there's anyone out there that doesn't remember.

Oh and there's also "non-violent" solutions to problems (like in Dishonored) in some parts.

------------------------------------------------------

So, it goes without saying that all this sounds pretty bad, and will most likely turn out to be a big, sprawling mess, but curiosity got the better of me, and I just had to know what other people thought of it.

So yeah, go ahead and say that it's horrible. It's fine. I guess as long as you don't go overboard, I think I can handle it. Maybe.

Last edited:

seraphmaycry

i'm assuming you are referring to a story, but it could easily be a movie or it's own game.

If you were to write it then think about the themes of each of the things you were, uh, "inspired" by, i don't know about the others but consider themes of family and sin, as those are the first to bits to basically anything devil may cry.

sounds like it's not too bad idea, but you'd have to add in some interesting concepts of your own, if i like the story for elements that you didn't create, then you didn't create anything good.

it also sounds like you are new to the idea of writing, considering your creating statement above, if you are new, you won't get it right the first time, nor the second or even the third, just like how in a video game the same strategy won't quite the same for some experience and someone not used to, in devil may cry i rarely touch my shoot button, so a full-gun play through would go to hell, someone who has mastered jump canceling and is highly experiences with guns could do much better then me.

if you really are interested in writing, go for it!

just remember that reading helps writing and writing helps reading, also, not to give up because the reward to effort correlation isn't very obvious, if you intend to do this really well then store, save it up, and try coming back when you have had practice if you are unhappy the first time.

one major thing i know about writing (even though any attempts at writing by me would be generous to call utter crap) is that the writer themselves is just as important, if not more, then the plot itself.

example:

"he opens the door"
or
"he approaches the doorway cautiously, but not slowly. creaking in the dark and shadows that should not be flit and hide around him as he slowly turns the doorknob and is bathed with light from outside"
or
"i open the door"
or
"door am are have is openezded"

mean the same thing.

that's about all i have to say, any writers that are semi-respectable may destroy this post as pleased.

oh, and don't be so harsh on yourself.

it's not the best idea but it's not the worst, more importantly, it's an idea you can execute in a scenario where you get to play god, even if it's a messy pile of others peoples stuff, the messy pile was your idea and belongs to you, seeing as how you probably don't have an evil alien robot clone, it's safe to that it matters because this messy pile belongs to you and is unique.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Ok... if I decide to write my story, then I'll post the "updates" here.

One other thing: I didn't expect you guys to be so supportive. I really appreciate it. :cool:

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Hey, if you want to write something, then do it. I'm a writer myself and people often don't want to see what I've gotten down, but those few that encourage you and give you constructive criticism are very precious.

Top Bottom