• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Scrapped ideas from the official blog.

crush

There seems to be tons of fun things scrapped from this game. (As well of the shortly cut story)
Such as this.
2013022102.jpg

This is the mission that is now you get the angel boost.
The mission before it was scrapped had a giant floating mask that acts as a sort of CCTV camera in limbo. You will have to hide from it's glance and take the item behind to deactivate it.
Well...the problem was that this mission made combat very difficult since if you were discovered it will make your game end. And none of the test staff noticed on their first try that you have to get behind it and cannon-balled themselves towards the mask.

Another is the "Giant" enemy.

2013022105.jpg

You have possibly seen it in the concept arts. It seems this collossus was a boss.
It is now refined as the imprisoner in the DLC...(Actually the main concept was a lot more huge though)

Also there are a lot of entertaining things that were scrapped.
Like...
Dante fighting in a boxing match in a underground arena.
Dante cooking a enemy in a TV program.
Dante pitching a grenade.
A more brutal fashioned rebellion combo that will pulverise a single enemy...With his bare hands as a finish.
A new definition of taunting. If Dante declares a enemy "I will kill you in a minute!." and you succeed in a quick kill you will get a bonus.

I wonder why those great ideas were left out.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The boxing match sounds like a great scene. I can picture Dante being part of this underground fight club to earn some extra cash and you actually play through the fight but slowly but surely Dante starts to awaken his demonic powers after he starts getting beat. Totally pulverizes the guy where everyone around him is like...what the hell, dude? This then leads up to one of the demon collaborators, who is actually the owner of the fight club, getting a hint that they may have found the Nephillim. Sounds pretty legit don't you think?

I think a pretty sweet combo with Rebellion would be a few slashes to then proceeding to decapitate the demon and kick his head lick a soccer ball at another target stunning them. If you were quick enough you could pop a quick Kablooey bomb on that thing and then kick the head at them then detonate.

Taunt was never something I bothered using much anyway. It's not really that big a deal.

An idea I was hoping would come to DmC was what I saw in that reveal trailer. It's when Dante picked up that car with the whip and threw it at the demons. That would have been a really sweet idea. One of the dodge buttons could have been replaced with some kind of parkour like button to do some wall running type trickster moves or the stuff he pulled of in Devil May Cry 2 because that was one of the very few things I liked about that game.

They were on a schedule so it could be corners that could have been cut due to time constraints. I think if they would have incorporated a lot of the ideas they probably had to scrap, DmC would probably get (it would probably be considered, I'm just saying) it pushed to some kind of next gen release because those consoles are right around the corner. Hopefully we'll see a DmC 2 with some more polish. As of now I'm more interested in seeing where Dante goes from here because there is a lot of potential. The original series can return in time but not so soon. DmC 2 at least for next time please.

BananaPie

Perhaps they were saving them for DmC2? That would we awesome, well if a DmC2 is even going to happen...

Noel

The giant floating mask probably have evolve into the Bob Barbas boss fight.

I dunno what the rejected combo animation look like, but it probably wouldn't work against heavy enemy like Tyrant or Butcher.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's always great hearing from any dev team about the other concepts they had thought up. That's why I love concept artbooks. The Hyrule Historia is a goldmine for stuff like that.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
It's always great hearing from any dev team about the other concepts they had thought up. That's why I love concept artbooks. The Hyrule Historia is a goldmine for stuff like that.
~has one of his copies in the car~ It also gives you a look at just how bad some ideas really would have been...and then...nope, not getting started on that "timeline" mess, that's already a nightmare flamewar spark in the Zelda Fandom.

EvilX-81

Wow, a lot of that sounds awesome, especially the new taunt mechanic. Though at the same time, it seems like it could easily go horribly wrong, spamming taunts to get constant bonuses.

Also, Cooking Dante. HI-larious.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Wow, a lot of that sounds awesome, especially the new taunt mechanic. Though at the same time, it seems like it could easily go horribly wrong, spamming taunts to get constant bonuses.

...Taunting wasn't already getting spammed in DMC3/4 for that same reason?

EvilX-81

...Taunting wasn't already getting spammed in DMC3/4 for that same reason?

If it was I didn't see it, most of the time I see taunts capping off a good combo or a lull in the action, not just pure back-to-back taunt spamming, which is what I could see happening for people to try to pop the taunt bonus attempt. Which is what I meant by "go horribly wrong" if it wasn't well thought out. This is neither here nor there as we don't know what their real plan for this mechanic was though.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
~has one of his copies in the car~ It also gives you a look at just how bad some ideas really would have been...and then...nope, not getting started on that "timeline" mess, that's already a nightmare flamewar spark in the Zelda Fandom.

I don't see how it could spark a flamewar...I mean, Nintendo released the official timeline, so Word of God should totally stop the flamewars >.<

If it was I didn't see it, most of the time I see taunts capping off a good combo or a lull in the action, not just pure back-to-back taunt spamming, which is what I could see happening for people to try to pop the taunt bonus attempt. Which is what I meant by "go horribly wrong" if it wasn't well thought out. This is neither here nor there as we don't know what their real plan for this mechanic was though.

I taunt spam a lot because it always gave you magic, and when done at those appropriate moments it also boosted your Style, so it really was spammed for constant bonuses.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Some of these ideas seem really cool, and by looking at the concept art it looks like they were alot more good ideas that were scrapped. Let's hope they put these good ideas in a sequel.

Btw, just putting it out there that I think Dante's jacket looked so much better with the red on the back.

Sunaka Marién

ajdlajdljalk thankyouthankyouthankyou Crush! <3
I've always wondered what that blog was about, so it's just so amazing to see a bit of it translated!
Some of these ideas reeeeeeeeeeeally sound great! But I guess they had to leave them out, because Capcom feared that they were to brutal and would earn the game a Z rating in Japan, which they wanted to avoide at any cost.
It really is a pity :<

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I don't see how it could spark a flamewar...I mean, Nintendo released the official timeline, so Word of God should totally stop the flamewars >_<

YOu have never been to Zelda Universe and it's timeline threads, have you? And teh official "timeline" is honestly a hastily thrown together mess, since half teh games are arranged in a fashion totally contrary to their own stated placements. the worse of it is the Minish/Four Swords games being placed very haphazardly, and then the idea that "the classic pre-oot games are a what if" timeline...

but that's Zelda, not DMC.

MasterBlasterAA

man i really wonder what that combo looked like.

i was pretty bummed that Dance Macabre wasn't in this game. In DMC 4 it was always great to slaughter all the enemies except for one poor puppet dude, and then perform Dance Macabre and just wail on him.

just imagine doing that last baseball bat-like swing of Dance Macabre with Rebellion in DmC and having that last enemy sliced apart in slow motion with demons yelling in the background... that would be amazingly awesome

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Thanks for sharing this. I wish they'd kept the boxing match in, and I'd reall want to see Dante doing the cooking. That just sounds funny. I doubt the guy even knows how to cook. :p

Also, I'm sure that mask CCTV was in one of the early trailers. It's a shame they cut it out. Seems like it would have been almost like a mini boss fight.

Dominus

I recall in a recent interview Itsuno early on had them take out the gruesome stuff so the game wouldn't be rated the the American equivalent of adults only (rating on violence and gore in Japan is pretty strict). I'm surprised that MGR... was able to pass..

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'm surprised that MGR... was able to pass..

Surprising what a slight change in whatever you're interacting with can do. I'm not chopping up humans - they're cyborgs! I'm not sexing up a ten-year-old girl - she's a 1000-year-old vampire who looks like a ten-year-old girl! Japan is...really weird :p

Top Bottom