• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

RPG Realization!

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
RPG - Role Playing Game

If you really go by the title...then ALL video games are RPGs, no?

Because in ALL video games, you play the role of something, whether it be an athletic star, a super soldier, a mecha pilot, a car driver, or even...Dx! A pet trainer, whaaa?!?!?!

Anyway, do you guys get my point? Please do discuss.

aka958

Don't trust people
Well... what would you call the games that are categorized as RPG's?

I think they got their names because of the similarities to the RP board games, such as dungeons and dragons.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
They would probably be dubbed 3rd/1st Person-Technical-Adventure or something.

Yes, I know that's where they originated from. Did you know that actual table RPGs were developed from Table-Top Wargames such as Warhammer?

In the truth of it, all games really ARE Role Playing Games (save for things like Sorry, Chess and Checkers and stuff).

Just because you don't have stats that develop, or large parts of story-telling dialog doesn't mean you're not playing the role of someone else in a game.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
BD makes a good point, aka.

In any video game, (except the ones where you don't play as anyone. XP) You play as a character, so you're assuming that character's role. So it's an RPG in a much truer sense of the word.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I don't know of many games where you don't play as someone...or even something, in that case. Name one game where there isn't an actual role to play XD...aside from obvious ones...like Sorry, Chess and Checkers XD (hah, repeat)

aka958

Don't trust people
DreadnoughtDT;254623 said:
BD makes a good point, aka.

In any video game, (except the ones where you don't play as anyone. XP) You play as a character, so you're assuming that character's role. So it's an RPG in a much truer sense of the word.

Don't you think I don't know that?

Dude, I just explained where the categorization comes from. To realize that many games are RPG's technically is one thing. But RPG is just a name for a category in this case, I mean, you could call any game you want an RPG but people would expect something different than a game of Mario. XD

RTS can't count, your multi controlling armies then. :p

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
XD Yeah, that's true. But I'm just stating what I came to realize. xP
Like I said, if we came to call ALL games RPGs, then 'RPGs' would probably be FP/TP-TA(Technical Adventure)

aka958

Don't trust people
BlueDevil;254631 said:
XD Yeah, that's true. But I'm just stating what I came to realize. xP
Like I said, if we came to call ALL games RPGs, then 'RPGs' would probably be FP/TP-TA(Technical Adventure)

But most RPG's also has deep stories, at least the JRPG's. That's not that much tenchnical stuff. I don't think Technical Adventure would work. It sounds like a puzzle game. :wacko:

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
aka958;254638 said:
But most RPG's also has deep stories, at least the JRPG's. That's not that much tenchnical stuff. I don't think Technical Adventure would work. It sounds like a puzzle game. :wacko:

that's why I suggested "Tactical Adventure", because you need tactics and strategies to beat most of the fights.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I was saying technical to go along with the stats and such, but tactical would work just as well.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
RPGs in the sense of the genre (the italics make it important :3) are usually defined as games in which you impose a variant of yourself upon the game world, acting out whichever role you so happen to choose.

And whilst you are technically right, all other games do not allow you the freedom of choice to play whichever role you so wish, which is what makes an RPG an RPG.
Take Fallout 3 for example, the game gives you a story and an idea of what you're meant to do to complete the game, aside from that, it gives you no barriers, you're free to project yourself into the world and carry out whatever role you like, from the humble trader to the town drunkard, from the bounty hunter to the merciless killer, from the tech hungry scavenger looking out for his or her self to the Samaritan of the wastes, willing to give up their last bottle of purified water for the good of another.

Then you compare that to the majority of other games, the FPS games, TPS, RTS, action adventure and so on, these games have a strict, very linear storyline in which you, yes, act out the role of the main character, but the difference is, you have NO freedom, you're forced into that one role and you cannot deviate from the set path.

It's like the age old argument of "Sticking a J in front of RPG does not make the game an RPG any longer."
And this is largely true, whilst you're still playing a set role of a character, that's just it, you're only playing a set role, you no longer have the vast freedom of choice that the traditional RPG genre always affords.

That is what makes RPGs true role playing games, and other games less so.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
BAHAHAHA!! Yeah, because they would listen to three teenagers on a forum XD

EDIT: Massively Credo-ninja'd XDDDDDDDD

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I would make them listen. *grins evilly and unsheathes claws* MuhuhahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ahem. Sorry.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
BlueDevil;254659 said:
BAHAHAHA!! Yeah, because they would listen to three teenagers on a forum XD

EDIT: Massively Credo-ninja'd XDDDDDDDD

The ninja always strikes where he is least expected, young grasshoppa'. :ninja:

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
You could just say that FPS and TPS and other games just have a predetermined selection of things that make the role and the story, rather than saying it limits your freedom XD...although it would be very liberal of you if you did though v_v

EDIT: YET AGAIN! YOU NINJA'D ME TWICE IN THE SAME THREAD ONE RIGHT AFTER THE OTHER, CREDO!!!! NOW YOU DIE -kills-

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
BlueDevil;254669 said:
You could just say that FPS and TPS and other games just have a predetermined selection of things that make the role and the story, rather than saying it limits your freedom XD...although it would be very liberal of you if you did though v_v

EDIT: YET AGAIN! YOU NINJA'D ME TWICE IN THE SAME THREAD ONE RIGHT AFTER THE OTHER, CREDO!!!! NOW YOU DIE -kills-

And I'd totally have to falcon punch you if you did make such a suggestion. x_x

EDIT: MAYBE IF YOU START PAYING MORE ATTENTION!!!1111

Top Bottom