• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

rival/cWhat is Devil May Cry's biggest archompetitor?

Which is DMC' series biggest archrival/competitor

• God Of War

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Ninja Gaiden

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • OTHER(Probably not worth playing)

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

leonbutt167

What is DMC' series biggest archrival/competitor?

Devil May Cry was another outstanding innovation to the Video game industry. Like "Doom", it has inspired many other games later on. But unlike "Doom", Devil May Cry has yet to receive serious recognition today.:unsure: All you hear about is the goddamn "God Of War" series.The games were quoted as "The best action game of all time!":dry: I'm pretty sure most of you have played the first one in the series. The combat was crap compared to "The legend" The only thing I was wowed about was the series' signature weapon(The one with "The chains") and how THE **** it garnered more attention. At least the 3D Ninja Gaiden games weren't such assholes. Please vote!:D

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
The 3D Ninja Gaiden games were rather poorly designed... At least, NGII was. They were hard, and not in a good way. They were cheap.

Devil May Cry's biggest archcompetitor is God of War, which sucks because that game is a kiddie pool compared to Devil May Cry. So what if it looks better? Devil May Cry is better gameplay wise. But people are so shallow and only look at graphics nowadays, which kills me a bit inside.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
^DT, you insult me! If the graphics suck but the game play/story line is good, the whole game sucks. But if the graphics are good, and the story line sucks *cough*DMC4*cough* then the game is still good.
I'm just kidding about the insult, btw.

I vote Other.
Bayonetta.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I'm actually going to vouch for God of War here. The game is amazing. You can't compare EVERY aspect of it with DMC and say that the ones that are different are crap, because if they weren't different, the game would be a rip off, of which it's not. The God of War games have a fair amount of difficulty too, and some of the puzzles are fun. Combat System was pure and fine. Story was solid...I would say that compared to most other Hack'n'Slash games, the God of War story is great. Graphics cannot be compared to DMC though...Devil May Cry 1 had God of War 1's graphics beat by a long shot, and...DMC4 came out in 2007, where God of War 3 came out early this year. DMC4's graphics are BARELY behind God of War 3's...and there's a three year difference.

If you were to go with a technical way of grading video games, yeah, God of War is better than DMC.

For God of War:
Story = Better (if not totally, then at least in presentation)
Gameplay = Equal to or better
Graphics = Equal to

However...the reason DMC DOES beat God of War is because there's a certain feel that it has that God of War just lacks.

God of War is an action game with a cool story.

Devil May Cry is an action game with a cool story (somewhat in shambles, but nonetheless cool) and then something more. It's hard to explain, but there's just a certain aura about DMC that other games lack. And that's what makes it better. Most simply fail to nitce this, and they see GoW and say "omg shiny thing"

Don't get me wrong though...I'm one of the people that say "omg shiny thing" to an extent. GoW is sweet.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
DMC has that stylish action feel that God of War lacks. In God of War, to kill something, you mash buttons and go through a short action sequence to kill a boss/mini-boss. In DMC, you do it yourself, which IMO is more satisfying.

Also, GoW has a watered down version of DMC's combat system. DMC's is much deeper.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I beg to differ. The combat styles are different.

There is one melee attack button for DMC, and for combos, you have to time it. Which is cool. I do like timing combos more.

However, God of War has two attack buttons, one for light and one for heavy attacks. And you mix the two up to get different attacks. A magic system replaces DMCs 'DT mode'...so...the combat really isn't comparable in any way aside from "They both have Hack'n'Slash combat styles"

I agree though. DMCs is by far more 'stylish'...although one last thing I would like to point out, at least about DMC4, is that I think Buster moves were inspired from GoWs Finisher/Instant kill moves.

leonbutt167

I'm aware of Bayonetta. However, Bayonetta actually gives credit to the DMC series. Hell, Bayonetta was made from the same Devil May Cry(one) development team. I thought Bayonetta expanded upon the hardcore, stylish action that was DMC's signature gameplay. I would say Bayonetta is family to Devil May Cry.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
^Agreed. Bayonetta was great. I didn't get to play much of it though. I wish I had it T_T

leonbutt167

BlueDevil;269462 said:
I beg to differ. The combat styles are different.

There is one melee attack button for DMC, and for combos, you have to time it. Which is cool. I do like timing combos more.

However, God of War has two attack buttons, one for light and one for heavy attacks. And you mix the two up to get different attacks. A magic system replaces DMCs 'DT mode'...so...the combat really isn't comparable in any way aside from "They both have Hack'n'Slash combat styles"

I agree though. DMCs is by far more 'stylish'...although one last thing I would like to point out, at least about DMC4, is that I think Buster moves were inspired from GoWs Finisher/Instant kill moves.

WE ARE VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU! GOW's combat system is just half the problem. The enemies were poorly designed. They take an obscene amount of hits to kill. A grunt could survive what seems like 50 lashes of Kratos' "Chain weapon" before dying. The bigger beasts takes a thousand hits. It feels like an eternity to take down a group of baddies. Thus, the repetitiveness that follows. There really aren't much combinations that can be done with square and triange. The "square,square,triange"(One where Kratos creates a volcanic effect in the end" is the only one that works. Other than that, the triangle attack takes a long time to initiate and the damage is'nt worth it. Now the cheap "O" attack. Most of the grunts can be killed instantly when you press "O" besides them. I would say the combat system is extreme UNEVEN. If the gameplay sucks, the whole game will suck regardless of its other aspects. Gameplay is the core of all video games.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
An eternity to kill a group of baddies? You are obviously doing something wrong...to simply kill Grunts? Bleh, whatever, be disappointed in me if you will :3. I've provided my side of why GoW can compete with DMC, and I'll leave it at that. I don't want to turn this into a DMC vs GoW thread ^^

Edsabre

Eagle-eyed Devil Hunter
Bayonetta is more like the spiritual successor to DMC. They were created by the same people and they have the same stylish action and extremely open and deep combat system. GoW is the biggest competitor to DMC because it's very brutal and very accessible. DMC is much harder and requires much more skill to create the fantastic combos you want, whereas GoW you can pretty much mash Square and he flails his chains around in flashy ways, killing everything around him. DMC is less brutal and bloody because it's Japanese and western gamers LOVE excess gore and violence. I think DMC/Bayonetta are made for the hardcore action fans and games like GoW are for the not-quite-so-hardcore players out there. Ninja Gaiden is also for the more hardcore action fans, but it still has to learn the difference between challenging and cheap before it can truely stand next to the likes of DMC.

My biggest beef with GoW is how every action game that's come out since is compared to it, usually calling it a "God of War clone". Like, seriously, there were action games before GoW and DMC was one of them.

Vampi

I didn't vote because in sum way all of these games are sumwhat of a rival but at the same time not. For example:

GOW - Its epic scale and its consistant story. The team at Sony Santa Monica don't leave huge gaps in the storyline, since they clear everything with either the main console games or the handheld games. The scale of the vistas in the game are really a site to behold, and every enemy has a reason to fight Kratos, or every enemy Kratos encounters he has a reason to fight. With DMC 4...all the bosses were just fodder, and its sad about the potential of Berial. Honestly, the DMC 4 bosses weren't even doing anything.

Bayonetta - Its combat. Aerial Stinger, Canceling moves at your whim, special outrageous abilities. Even though half the characters in this game are asinine (Bayo, Cereza i'm looking at you) i mostly stick with it cause of its sheer brilliance in gameplay. Aerial Stinger is a logical thing that should've been in DMC a long time ago, but Capcom never implemented it. Canceling moves ever since DMC 1's Shotgun Cancel and DMC 3's Killer Bee canceling is pretty stale next to Bayo's combat. The weapons are great and have great origin profiles that fits to Bayo's powers. All the weapons were different and didn't look like sum skin over an old existing weapon from an earlier game (Gilgamesh i'm looking at you) This game i think is a major threat---at least gameplay-wise---against DMC.

Darksiders - Its story reflected on the stages, as in the story reflected on how the stages looked since it was the semi Apocalypse. DMC 3 was good at this since Temen Ni Gru was a central figure in the plot. The ending was a nice cliffhanger (i won't spoil it) but at the same time the story that was in the game was self-contained. Darksiders delved more into the way Hell and Heavenly beings conduct business when it comes to the human world. It was dark and serious and the characters had very good reasons to connect to War. This is sumthing DMC 4is sorely lacking. All of the characters were bland except for Nero, but Capcom managed to mess that up as well with leaving his origin unanswered, thus it created a cheap "cliffhanger" (if you call it that) for the next game.

Castlevania - I don't know about Lords of Shadow. But i think a CV game would be a great template if ever the DMC series went handheld with side stories. Unfornately, Capcom canceled the long rumored DMC PSP game rumored to be called "The Dance of Sparda" and who knows if they ever make a PSP game for DMC. Castlevania is one of the best and is the most relatable to DMC with its aesthetic. But one thing that CV has over DMC is that even though it can be sumtimes campy, it has tons of info about demonology. That's sumthing DMC lacks as well since DMC 4.

Ninja Gaiden - Not very much competition with this game. I think NG and DMC stand good side by side. BUT NG's sheer goriness with its fountains of blood and unrelenting difficult makes DMC 4's DMD mode seem like a Wii title for children. I think DMC 4's difficulty was a bit balance. But i'm sure people want DMC to be more challenging. Especially DMD mode. To this day i still proclaim that DMC 1's DMD mode is the toughest DMD i've beaten.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Ninja Theory creates beautiful games (even though they can be kinda repetitive in the gameplay department and quite short if we're just looking at Heavenly Sword). But one thing they know how to do is create a very engaging story with great performances. This is sumthing DMC needs. DMC 4 made DMC looked like sum typical anime trash that people are used to and not anything that would differentiate it from the rest of the Japanese type entertainment that makes its way here. I really do hope Ninja Theory is working on this. Cause maybe since they're located in the UK they can bring sum English wit instead of the vague Japanese humor and also at the same time bring in an epic story with good acting and dialogue. Don't count out this developer yet. I can't wait to play Enslaved.

In other words. All these games are a rival to DMC in sum capacity. I have my reservations about being on the Hype Train for DMC 5 since DMC 4 was subpar at best. I just hope people don't think that we'll ever get that spark that DMC 1 and DMC 3 let us have. DMC 5 has to let us have a different spark so it can have its own identity in greatness.

King of Hell

Must Die
I love God of War, not as much as DMC for obvious reasons, but I love it. but it seems that Beyonetta is the new competitor, since it was developed by the original DMC team, & published by a rival company (Sega).

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
Copout answer really: I picked other. (Not worth playing) Heh.

No other games really compare for me. I've so far been unable to scrape up any interest at all in the ones ya'll have brought up or the ones in the poll - just personal taste at work. But I still love me some Devil May Cry.

EDIT: Scratch that. Saw Vampi's post. I am quite fond of Castlevania, but I don't really see the comparison as close enough to count. Might be 'cause I think of CV as a platformer and the other elements aren't similar enough either for me to think of it as a rival for DMC.

So for me, there really is no competition at all.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
As far as I can see Bayonetta is the only game[and series to be?] to rival DMC.Although a friendly and unspotted rivarly between DMC and SB exists due to their Stylish action nature exists,only Netta poses a true rivalry.

As for the rest...they were inspired but didn't capture the stylish action feeling and instead got turned into Hack'n'slash games[whichi is absolutelly fine by me] but due to their popularity in the west[mainly GOW,not so much NG unfortunately since it's mostly notorious]...it kinda poses a rivalry too.

King of Hell

Must Die
to me there's no competition too, but if the market gets rough on DMC, we might lose it (which so far it hasn't). DMC4 outsold Bayonetta, God of War III, & NG2. so DMC is still the King according to sales figures, but God of War & Bayonetta seem to have more critical success.

Vampi

Kittn;269488 said:
Copout answer really: I picked other. (Not worth playing) Heh.

No other games really compare for me. I've so far been unable to scrape up any interest at all in the ones ya'll have brought up or the ones in the poll - just personal taste at work. But I still love me some Devil May Cry.

EDIT: Scratch that. Saw Vampi's post. I am quite fond of Castlevania, but I don't really see the comparison as close enough to count. Might be 'cause I think of CV as a platformer and the other elements aren't similar enough either for me to think of it as a rival for DMC.

So for me, there really is no competition at all.

You're really losing out on sum great games if you only stay loyal to one series. Capcom i'm sure does research and play other games so they can either implement it into their games or make it similar. You shouldn't dismiss these great games just because they don't have the DMC name, cause eventually DMC will borrow sumthing out of them.

DMC 1 is more Castlevania then any of the other DMC's. DMC can still learn alot from Castlevania's environments and boss battles.

If you seriously think DMC has no competition sooner or later (much sooner then you think) you're going to be up for a rude awakening. DMC combat is getting stale and its storyline is getting cliche and stupid. And bringing in a new character out of nowhere (Nero) is too much too soon without any gradual buildup.

Even though GOW's gameplay is a repetitive snorefest, its story and environments alone make it top anything DMC 4 brought to the table.

Devil Bane;269490 said:
As far as I can see Bayonetta is the only game[and series to be?] to rival DMC.Although a friendly and unspotted rivarly between DMC and SB exists due to their Stylish action nature exists,only Netta poses a true rivalry.

As for the rest...they were inspired but didn't capture the stylish action feeling and instead got turned into Hack'n'slash games[whichi is absolutelly fine by me] but due to their popularity in the west[mainly GOW,not so much NG unfortunately since it's mostly notorious]...it kinda poses a rivalry too.

If Kamiya doesn't direct the next Bayo game and there's no interesting gameplay mechanics, Bayo is done for. Bayo only has its superb level design and gameplay to stand on. Without those the game is average at best cause the characters are so unimportant and uninteresting. No one cares for Bayo's plight cause she has none. The story ins Bayo was complete nonsense that made no sense and didn't make you connect with the character, even though they were trying to be clever with the time-travelin Cereza/Bayo concept, it was just laziness and confusion wrapped into one.

Bayo in the west is mostly highly praised for his blatant (vomit inducing) sex appeal and gameplay.

But even with that, Bayo is way more fun to play then DMC 4. Even though Bayo recycled bosses and levels sumwhat they made the battle seem fresh. Sumthing, DMC 4's blatantly recycled backtracking couldn't do right.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^That's why I put this [series to be?].With Vanquish tiptoeing at the ends of the contract of Platinum and Sega it is highly unlikelly that Platinum would direct another Bayonetta or even SEGA getting out of it's way to make a Bayonetta 2[that's my guess].So far there isn't much talk about a contract renewal,but I wish there will be one.

As for the tidbits of games...that's a little...Sure many games borrow elements from each and that happens in manga and anime too and movies and tv shows etc.With games however the comparison stops somewhere other wise poeple find some completelly unrelated factors to compare games of completely different genres or even worse emphasize just one or two things shared by the games to make one look better.It is wrong.

Sure DMC 1 borowed the whole castevania atmosphere among others but that doesn't make Castlevania a rival for DMC as much as I love both series.Castlevania has t's own rivals and it's own gameplay style[an action adventure platformer 2D or 3D].It's doesn't make sense to compare it with DMC[a stylish action game] since the focus is different.

King of Hell

Must Die
well, DMC was & still is the base game to compare any action game to, major websites like IGN called it "The perfect transition from 2D action to 3D action".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom