• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Publishing

I am a pantsu on head retard and I need this answer spoon fed to me.

Why do video game developers need some other company to publish their game? Why can't they do it themselves? How do video game developers ask for a company to publish their game? And other than bringing the game to store shelves what else does having a game published by someone else do?

Go easy on me, I don't know any better, when mum said I'm special she wasn't kidding. I should know this.

Books I can understand, but video games are different.

Terrutas

Well, from what I know they pretty much just ask them to publish it for the sake of it selling better. I assume they can't do it because they don't have any sort of connection or knowledge on how to get it on store shelves, plus the publishers probably have a name for themselves so it's easier for them to do it.

When they go to a publisher, they present their product and tell them how it's unique and try to explain to them why it would sell more than other games (kind of like a resume).

And other than having it go to store shelves, the company makes trailers and hands pre-released copies to review sites to have them reviewed usually biased ones, IGN. 10/10 it's okay.

Martius

SSSmokin!
If you dont know what it is about it must be money. Making big title, marketing and publishing cost a lot of green papers, at least if you are talking about putting your game in shops.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Usually for bigger marketing impact and push. Developers studio are much smaller so they cant do what big publisher can in that matter. Anyway such studio dont have enough money to finish game, not even talking about marketing cost.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Often its because they are that busy developing the game that they havent got the time to market it & get it sent to distributors. So they have a publisher come in to do that side of things for them. Plus slapping a well known publishers name on it can help the game sell if the developers arent very well known.

Top Bottom