• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

PS4 Due for 2012 release?

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium

PlayStation 4 release date set for 2012 - with Kinect-style motion controls?

Sony could be planning to start building the PlayStation 4 this year for a release date in 2012 - with it featuring Kinect-style motion controls - according to a surprise report.

If true, the move would come as a major shock - while Sony are understood to be working on a follow-up to the PS3, very few industry observers would have expected the next-gen console to be ready before 2013 at the earliest.
In fact, we'd be tempted to dismiss the report entirely, were it not for the fact that the source is DigiTimes, the Taiwanese electronics industry newspaper that has a strong track record of predictions in this field.
The brief DigiTimes report - sourced to Taiwanese component-makers - states: 'Sony will have Taiwan-based partners begin production of PlayStation 4 featuring body movement-based control like Kinect at the end of 2011 for launch in 2012.'

The report also states that Foxconn - the same firm that produces Apple's iPad and iPhone, as well as working with many other major tech firms - will be responsible for assembling the PS4 along with another firm, Pegatron Technology, as was the case with the PS3.
DigiTimes adds that: 'The planned shipment volume of PS4 in 2012 is at least 20 million units, the sources indicated.'
While Sony admitted recently that they were working on a follow-up to the PlayStation 3, it was assumed that development was still in relatively early stages.
With Nintendo releasing the Wii U in 2012 - possibly in the second or third quarters - the release of a PS4 would see the the two go head-to-head in the market. It could also put pressure on Microsoft, who are also believed to be working on their own next-gen Xbox console with a possible unveiling being set for E3 2012, to release theirs sooner rather than later.

So much for the PS3's ten year life-span then :(

aka958

Don't trust people
You are really good with linking out your sources VB. .-.

Kinda stupid planning on a new console when their PS3's quality exceeds that which of every other gaming console atm. <.<

Dark Drakan

Admin
I highly doubt it will come in 2012, maybe be announced properly in 2012 but it wont be released. There is plenty of life in both the 360 and PS3 for a couple more years yet.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
The PS3's architecture is already 5 years old, even if it is the most powerful of the consoles out there right now.
I dare say we'll see an announcement from Sony soon, but a new console for a 2012 release seems unlikely, gotta go with DD here and say there'll probably be a 2012 announcement, but no new console for at least a couple years.

Though if Sony want to win the next console generation, they're gonna have to bring something to the table before Microsoft do.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Agreed.
And I'm not saying this because I don't have a PS3 yet. Totally.
Godammit, Darksiders...

I've got a PS3, but my parents have unfortunately commandeered it. Ports from 360 to the PS3 tend to have strange glitches anyway. *points at Bayonetta*

Off topic, but that's one BA avatar BTW.

Top Bottom