• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Protect Yourself!

IncarnatedDemon

Recently i found out i was being traced by people who want to profit with my web surfing data.
It lead to me doing a search (looking for something for CosplayGodess) and i found out there was more things i could do to ensure noone (Google or whoever) could trace my data when surfing online.

Here is a screenshot of the "trackers" (people who want to trace ur data of what u do) to sell it for money. As u can see ALOT of trackers on DevilMayCry.org
esu73a.png

U dont want to be tracked, neither do i. I use a add on called Ghostery for Firefox (thats the interface u see.

Here is link for reading material that helps u protect urself (i skimmed through and find Ghostery mentioned):
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57368016-285/how-to-prevent-google-from-tracking-you/

Chimera Khaos

Hades Leading General Commander
I just downloaded the Ghostery app and man, you weren't kidding, there's bloody trackers everywhere!....

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I get AVG to delete everything as they also seem to be stored in temporary internet files.
They are in temporary, so good move to delete them. Also in the internet cookies. I find after I go on Newlook online store, I get followed by Newlook adverts until I clear the cookies.>_<

Google is the worst for tracking. Google is now basically an information dealer.
Why do you think they are so eager to ask for your mobile phone number, and other information when you sign up for one of their email accounts. Plus, now if you want to be on youtube, you have to have a google account for that. I hate how google is trying to link eveything and tries to get you to use your real name.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
They are in temporary, so good move to delete them. Also in the internet cookies. I find after I go on Newlook online store, I get followed by Newlook adverts until I clear the cookies.>_<

Google is the worst for tracking. Google is now basically an information dealer.
Why do you think they are so eager to ask for your mobile phone number, and other information when you sign up for one of their email accounts. Plus, now if you want to be on youtube, you have to have a google account for that. I hate how google is trying to link eveything and tries to get you to use your real name.

That explains why some of the sites that I buy from advertise everywhere that I go.

That explains why they won't accept 'Vergil'sBitch' as a name :lol:

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I think you've just inspired my next tweet... it goes something like *f u google* :lol:
Reads article...DmC anyone? :lol: If it was a government, everyone would be 'up in arms'.
I could think up a few DmC themed tweets too....something like:

'Waiting for Bill O'reilly to show his true form on Fox News':p
'Google collects data for demon scum'

IncarnatedDemon

i dont doubt our privacy is exposedonthe web. its just that many pc users live in blissful ignorance.

i mean why expose ur identity on web...if u make a acc with a username ur real life friends will know u while otherswont unless u decide to share ur identity with them.
but why have strangers know of u, thats just unecessary attention.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I have these installed for every browser, got so sick of these targeted ads popping up everywhere. Plus don't want all these companies getting my interests etc so easily and trying to sell me stuff outside the Internet.

Terrutas

You might as well block your SIM on your cell phone so that phone companies don't know who you are. Those managing it are strangers, right?

This is how the internet works, pretty much every site has some sort of trackers. It's necessary for their security and what not.

Terrutas

Somethings are necessarily evil. Sites tracking you is not necessary, atleast from my viewpoint.
That's fine, but you need to realize that neither you nor I know how to run a website, keep it in check and secure it.

Just because some dude preaches on an article about how he doesn't like it doesn't mean he gives you the whole case.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
I think the same of this as I do AdBlocker, I don't want to encourage people to do it.

Ever wonder why those huge websites are free? It's because they gain quite a bit of money selling this data, the other source of money being advertisements and donations. You may think there's no harm in using this plug-in and encouraging it's use, but that is exactly how things grow. One becomes two, two becomes four, and so on.

It's just something I disagree with. I would rather deal with a few marketing campaigns that I can shunt aside rather than having to pay to get onto sites I like to use. Sounds like a crazy thing to believe, but really it's already happening to large websites in a way. For example Youtube has more advertisements than ever and that's something the wide spreading use of AdBlocker is causing.

IncarnatedDemon

yotube isnt free. Free means u not having to pay anything back.
they forced old users to give a phone number
they pester u with "use ur real name?"

and there are ads in videos, in pages and they even seem to be advertising channels as well.

that is not free.

LeoXCV

Single life for life
yotube isnt free. Free means u not having to pay anything back.
they forced old users to give a phone number
they pester u with "use ur real name?"

and there are ads in videos, in pages and they even seem to be advertising channels as well.

that is not free.
That's correct, that logic also pretty much includes every website in existence; but that's a definition of "free" that I wasn't even touching upon. In the context I was using it I meant a direct payment from a user like a subscription fee, and as such Youtube uses no such thing.

Top Bottom