• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Prompt 9: Lightning without Thunder

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
This is my entry for Prompts Round 9-Rivals, its my first story ive ever done, i hope its not too hard to read and makes sense, hope you guys enjoy ^_^

*BOOM*

A flash of lightning,
for Dante however, the blackness remained, he waited for the thunder, but nothing could be heard. he could feel the rain droplets hitting the back of his neck but not much else.He felt as though he had failed somehow and was in a purgatory of loneliness never to be redeemed, never to be set free.

But then a faint voice echoed in his head, it was that of his brothers', though faint he could tell
"-olisness -ante" Dante felt a intense stabbing pain in his abdomen that aroused his hearing to his brothers voice, but still his vision had not returned
"Foolishness, might controls everything and without strength, you cannot protect anything, let alone yourself" Dante's' vision returned and saw his brothers cold stare as he shoved Dante away from his weapon.Dante stared straight into his brothers hating eyes, the eyes of his only relative, who he valued as his entire family and comrade, he wasn't sure why this all had happened, but as he fell, Dante reached for his brother only to be rejected by Yamato. As Dante hit the ground he struggled one last time towards his brother, Vergil turned around and rammed Rebellion into Dante's' chest, everything went black again.

"Dont get so cocky" Vergil proclaimed after being struck by Dantes' wooden sword. His strike was fast and accurate and had left a cut above Vergils left eye.

Dante was remembering the days when he and his brother had worked together as Mercs, after the death of their mother, there wasn't much that boys with their abilities could have done so their circumstances were inevitable and being of superior strength they were the only ones who could train one another.

"I thought you were the sword-master bro, maybe you should spend less time doing your hair and more time training"
"So that's how it is" Vergil stated and arose.
"shall we go again?"
"come on" Dante replied in a smug manner.

But before Dante could finish being cocky Vergil ran towards him with an overhead strike, which Dante could detect a mile off, but as he moved his sword to deflect the strike Vergils sword was no longer coming from above, instead it struck Dante in the stomach knocking him to the ground.
"I will always be the superior swordsman Dante" Vergil boasted.
"But... how, did..you" Dante was struggling for breath.
Vergil smirked "maybe you should spend less time cracking jokes and more time looking at your oponents moves...or did your hair get in your eyes?"
"Very funny" Dante caught his breath and slowly rose to his feet."Well at least Ill always be the ladies man"
"Things like that are none of my concern" Vergil muttered,
"But still, with those great looks you could have any girl you want!" Dante smirked
Vergil looked on unamused "Are we here to train, or make small chat..."
"Training? so thats what you call me showing you the ropes" confidently said Dante
Vergil frowned "Call it what you may, but I do believe I won the last round"
the expression on Dante face suddenly changed as he said "but if I continuously kick your ass, you wont learn anything will you?"
Vergil smirked yet agian "well if thats how you feel, I think you'll blush a pretty pink when I kick your ass!" they both smiled and lunged towards each over.

*BOOM*

Another flash of lightning, Dante was back in his purgatory, he could feel the droplets of rain yet again but couldn't see anything beyond the darkness and still there was no sound, he wondered round for what seemed like forever, until he could faintly make out two figures in the distance, he approached them in an attempt to end this horrible loneliness he was experiencing, but as he got closer he could make out the two people were himself and his brother sat on a collapsed tree in the middle of a woods. He remembered that was the night they had both completed a very difficult mission involving a gang that had been terrorizing a small village called Thiros looking for a sacred relic that would give them supernatural powers.

"WOW, that was a close one" Dante proclaimed.
"Dont say a word" Vergil growled, there was an awkward silence.
"Bro, Ive been meaning to ask, is everything OK? ever since we fought that slime demon, you've been acting odd" they had both recently completed an assignment involving a cult trying to summon a powerful demon, the cult succeeded and Vergil became badly injured during the fight forcing Dante to intervene and save him, it seemed Dante had overtaken Vergil in strength by some margin and their once equal rivalry was becoming quite one sided
"You didnt have to do anything" Vergil assured himself "I could have handled this gang by myself" upon hearing of the mission Vergil claimed he didnt need anyones help and refused to work with his brother, storming off to complete the mission alone.
"I know but I just thought, with you having just recovered, I just wanted to check on you" said Dante
"Well I didnt ask for your help!" Vergil interrupted "I had everything under control"
Dante laughed "well not from where I was stood, it looked like you were having a bit of trouble" Dante continued to laugh, Vergil just squinted and started to growl but Dante continued to laugh.Vergil stood up and ran his fingers threw his hair.
"I dont think you should be talking in such a way, little brother, unless you want me to show you how capable I am" Dante snickered again only to be interrupted by Vergil who drew his sword screaming "I'll show you!" the power and anger that Vergil used to unleash Yamato was so powerful it caused the area Dante was sat in to practically explode, Dante narrowly escaped to a tree branch above, looking down at his brother as Vergil sheathed his sword Dante said "hey watch out man, next time you may break a nail!" Vergil disappeared, Dante looked all round but he was nowhere to be found, suddenly Vergil appeared behind him swinging his Katana towards Dante, Dante only just blocking in time was smashed into the tree he was perched on and fell to the ground. He arose wiping the blood from his face sporting a serious glare as he stared at Vergil who just bore a cold look.
Dante spat a mouthful of blood to the floor "well if thats how its gonna be I wont hold back, lets go!"
the two brothers had fought many times before but this was the first time either one had gone with intent there friendly rivalry was turning into a vicious contest.

*BOOM*

In the darkness of Dantes mind he continued to wonder alone yearning for his brothers company, just like how it used to be, the rain drops he could continuously feel were becoming heavier and heavier and their relentless assault was having an effect on Dante, he began loosing energy and strength as he fell to the floor and could no longer move, thoughts crossed his mind "is this it?" "am I going to die alone in this purgatory?"

As he lay there he began to think about Vergil again, when suddenly he noticed a little girl approaching him skipping, as she got closer she began to walk. When she finally reached him she remained silent, then Dante realized she was the small girl he had once been in charge of rescuing for a gypsy family, this little girl was supposedly imbued with magical powers and had been the symbol of protection for their village for a long time. Dante remembered finding the destination where she was held captive...

It was in a large circular room with an alter in the middle filled with hieroglyphics and lit by torches, as he approached the alter where the little girl was, he could feel her immense power when suddenly the torches went out, Dante looked around but couldnt see much, he heard a noise behind him but before he could check what it was he was struck in the back of the head leaving him unconscious.

When he awoke he was chained in the same room he had been knocked out in, only know the flames from the torches were lit again and he could make out his brother Vergil stood next to the young girl.
"Vergil!" Dante screamed "boy am I glad your here, help me get these chains off will you?"
Vergil just burst into hysterics "you realy are a fool Dante"
"What do the mean?" asked Dante
Vergil stopped laughing "There are few people able to blindside you, little bother and yet you still ask"
"You mean, you? why?!?" Dante asked again but Vergil just started laughing
"Power" replied Vergil "we are demons ourselves Dante, the children of the most powerful, so why arnt we more powerful? why do we sometimes struggle against strong opponents? why were you unable to save your mother?" Dante stayed silent and Vergil continued "it is because our great demon genes have been watered down with the weakness of humans and we are unable to tap into our full potential, thats where this girl comes in"
"What are you talking about!" screamed Dante
"there is a ritual" explained Vergil "that, when used will allow an individual to be incorporated with demonic energy, Im going to use this to add to my own and rid myself of the weakness that is my humanity, the only downside, this girls life will be forfeit"
"Thats insane! you dont even know if this will work!" shouted Dante
"to the contrary" explained Vergil "remember that night in Thiros? the thieves that stole demon power? its basically a similar thing and by ridding themselves of their humanity, those mere humans were able to become something more than they deserved and where almost able to overpower ME!, all im doing is taking what already belongs to me, but has been locked away by the pitiful creature that is human, I will not be embarrassed by such scum again"
"We've hunted demons for all this time for what they did to mum and now your telling me your willing to become one, for such a vain reason?!this isnt about becoming like father, why are you doing this?" asked Dante
"I..need...more power, and if I become a demon" Vergil lifted Yamato into the air "SO BE IT!" Dante screamed and struggled breaking free from his restraints as Vergil rammed his Katana into the young girl releasing an intense light that filled the room, the light swirled round and flew into Vergil releasing a massive shock wave sending dust flying, Dante covered his eyes from the debris and as it cleared he looked back at his brother, who no longer resembled the man he once knew, there was a blue aura surrounding him, and he seemed to be covered in some sort of Armour, Dante could not make out much of his brother because of the intense darkness that radiated from him except for two cold eyes that shone brightly through it all, these were no longer the eyes of his brothers, but of the creatures Dante hated so
"Im...not going to let you get away with this" muttered Dante as his anger filled to the brim, Dante picked up Rebellion, that had been knocked away during the shock wave "your...no longer my...brother"
Vergil replied in an echoed voice "you got that right" he put Yamato back in its sheathe now on his arm "I dont even need a weapon to defeat you"
"I wouldnt be so sure!" Dante screamed as he lunged towards Vergil "you've never been able to beat me yet!" but Vergil just remained in the spot as Dante swung his massive sword into Vergil with full force, it struck Vergil on the shoulder and Dante looked straight into his brothers lifeless face, the sight shocked him and he stood back from horror having witnessed his brothers demonic form close hand, only to notice his strike had been caught by Vergil at the last moment, Dante tried to back away, but Vergil still gripping rebelion pulled Dante closer.
"Dont underestimate this devils power" Vergil said as he swung at Dante, knocking him to the other side of the room, Vergil threw Rebellion to the ground as Dante was on his knees choking on blood, he looked up to see his brother approaching, Dante mustered all his strength and threw a punch towards Vergil from the ground, Vergil simply leaned to one side then drove his knee into Dante stomach leaving him crumpling to the ground, Vergil grabbed Dantes' hair and lifted him to eye-line
"So Dante weren't you going to stop me?" Dante didnt have the strength to respond instead he just spat blood in Vergils face, Vergil growled with anger and threw Dante across the room again, Dante having landed next to Rebellion struggled to his feet sword in hand and looked up at his brother breathing heavily, he braced himself for one last charge at Vergil, he took another deep breath and let out a scream running at his brother, Vergil started running towards him and they both let out a powerful strike and paused... Dante fell to the ground as Vergil turned round, he approached Dante releasing a small blue shock wave returning to his original form, Vergil laughed
"Well I cant say that went completely to plan, it seems our demonic blood is too powerful to mix and completely negated out that girls magic, but in return my dormant powers have been released, I think this turned out better...dont you agree?" Dante just lay still unable to communicate
"Whats wrong?" Vergil asked "you've usually got so much to say" he kicked Dante in the chest "well if your not going to stop me, I think I'll try out these new powers, Id say that gypsy village should do, I want to see what other powers they have, when you are of a level to be my rival again, come find me and I will beat you even harder, goodbye" Vergil left the room as Dante lost consciousness.

*BOOM*

Dante was back in his purgatory, as he remembered awakening from his fight with Vergil and returning to the massacre of the gypsy village that was left for him, he could still see the young girl stood in front of him that he was unable to save, only he noticed the demon eyes of his brother radiating from behind her, he wanted to apologize for not being able to stop her and her village but no words come out.

*BOOM*
The demonic eyes were forming a silhouette of his brothers demon form, Dante wanted to say sorry for failing to protect his mother

*BOOM*
The demonic figure started becoming clearer and clearer, Dante wanted to apologize for allowing his brother to fall to darkness

*BOOM*
Now Dante was back on his feet with this demon stood in front of him, but it was not Vergil, it only resembled him, this one had a red aura and a few over distinguishing features, Dante wanted to ask who he was but the figure interrupted him
"I am your neglected self" the figure bore the same echoed voice as Vergil "why cant you protect anything?" the demon asked.
"I dont kno-" Dante started, but the demon interrupted again
"You are weak, because you are not your true self"
"What do you mean?" Dante asked
"You are your brothers sibling and your fathers son" the demon replied "yet you only call on your mother for strength"
Dante explained "I am not a devil, I would never become like them"
"Your father was a not a devil, he was loving, caring and he protected the things he cared for" the demons words wrung true with Dante, he continued "you still have a chance to stop your brother but you cant do it alone"
"I need to stop him, I just dont know how" Dante sighed
"Listen to your soul and you will succeed" assured the demon, as he placed his hand on Dantes' shoulder.

*BOOM*
The demon was gone, but Dante could feel his strength returning

*BOOM*
The lightning was getting more intense and Dante could again feel the rain droplets on his body

*BOOM*
He could feel his body getting stronger and stronger as if it would burst from the pressure

*BOOM*
*BOOM*
*BOOM*

Dante arose from his purgatory in full devil trigger form, releasing a massive shock wave and a deafening noise, it was the sound of thunder, that could be heard for miles around.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Teeheehee, I love the banter. It makes me go all fangirly :lol:

Oh, and this:
"You are your brothers sibling and your fathers son" the demon replied "yet you only call on your mother for strength"
Dante explained "I am not a devil, I would never become like them"
:wub: :wub: seriously the best lines I've EVER read.

Top Bottom