• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Power Tiers?

TyrantWayne9999

Golden Saint God of Overlords
I don't doubt someone's done a similar thread before (and if they did it's well past being easily found) but here are what I think it would go from strongest to weakest. I will list at least 3 feats or powers/abilities (or try) that the character has in order to justify their spot on the list.

Original Series:
1. Dante*
-Quicksilver and Doppelganger
-Ultimate block (Royal Guard style)
-Inhuman speed (I refer you to the cutscene when Dante encounters Dagon)
-Inhuman strength (Echidna encounter cutscene from DMC4)
-He defeated Mundus without giving his own life to do so (granted Mundus is still alive)
-A master gunslinger and swordmaster (see what I did there?)
-Dreadnought Form (Royal Guard style) (Makes dante entirely impervious to all physical forms of damage)
-In 3 games and the anime Dante has been stabbed in the midsection/chest and was largely unfazed (few exceptions aside)
-Devil Trigger explosion
-Lady has shot Dante in the head twice (one even being point blank) and still lived all while being relatively unfazed
-Toying with Lady in each and every confrontation they have and still retaining the upper hand
-From a story perspective defeated all the demon generals or demon general level foes (i.e Angelo Agnus) that he has encountered (few exceptions aside)
-Majin Devil Trigger (a level in which we have never seen any other character achieve, except for maybe Trish but the canonicity of that is questionable)

2. Mundus*
-Sparda had given his life only to be able to heavily reduce Mundus' army and seal away Mundus himself
-Dante was not able to destroy him, only weaken him enough for him to be sealed away
-His limited reality warping abilities that he displayed during the battle against him
-He created Trish, Blades, Frosts, and Blitzes
-He defeated, possessed, and enhanced the powers of Vergil
-Energy blasts
-Teleportation

3: Sparda*
-Fought against the armies of Hell on a regular basis
-Sacrificed his life to heavily reduce Mundus' forces and seal Mundus away

4) Vergil/Nelo Angelo
-Devil Trigger explosion
-Inhumanly speed and/or teleportation
-One of the only individuals to prove himself to be any kind of challenge for Dante
-According to the backstory in DMC3 Vergil and Dante have had many "brotherly" duels prior to the events of the game and is largely implied Vergil was victorious for most if not all of these said battles
-Summoned Swords (one of the most glorious abilities weapons in any video game if you ask me)
-Judgement Cut

5) Argosax the Chaos/Despair Embodied
-Utilizes the power of many higher ranked demons that Dante had previously defeated
-Arguably one of the few foes Dante has faced to prove any kind of challenging from a story perspective

6) Trish
-Teleportation (if the beginning of DMC1 was any indication)
-Can shoot lightning
-Capable hand-to-hand fighter and weird-knife-thing wielder
-Majin Devil Trigger (canonicity is questionable)

7) Nero
-The various abilities of the Devilbringer
-Was able to keep up with Dante for the most part in their confrontations (granted Dante kinda punks Nero out when they meet the 2nd time)
-Devil Trigger Explosion (?)
-Ban...I mean his Devil Trigger summoning thing...ya
-His gigantic double-barrelled magnum

8) Sanctus Diabolica/The Savior
-Summon demons
-The Grandmaster of the Order of the Sword
-Teleportation
-Energy beams
-Levitation

9) Arkham/Jester/Blob Arkham
-Giant exploding, smiling ball of doom
-bouncing energy balls
-Teleportation
-Environment melding/camouflage
-Summon demons

10) Lucia
-Able to hold her own against Dante
-Defeated her creator Arius after he had enhanced his powers through demon magic
-Proficient use of kunai knives, senbons, and hand grenades

*debatable and/or interchangeable

I'll get to the reboot some other time. What do yall think?

edit: I originally had Sparda as ??? largely cuz I wasn't sure if he ranked above Dante or just Ranked above Vergil or even belong to the top of the list but I decided to have him at number 3 now.

Last edited:

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Not to be rude, but I was honestly going to take your thread seriously until I looked at the bottom and saw you ranked Sparda LAST on the tier, even behind the likes of Trish,Sanctus and Lucia...

Not to mention DMC2 Dante is Dante at his most powerful and I would wager he would be able to kick Mundus's azz permanently given the chance.

So I would rank him above Mundus.

TyrantWayne9999

Not to be rude, but I was honestly going to take your thread seriously until I looked at the bottom and saw you ranked Sparda LAST on the tier, even behind the likes of Trish,Sanctus and Lucia...

Not to mention DMC2 Dante is Dante at his most powerful and I would wager he would be able to kick Mundus's azz permanently given the chance.

So I would rank him above Mundus.
Actually I didn't rank him below all of them I put him as ??? because we don't know next to nothing about him and his powers and abilities. Our only true basis of comparison is that he's done battle with Mundus numerous times before though the results of those battles are unknown save for their last fight. I personally believe he's actually in between Dante and Mundus but I gotta be uhhh what's the word? unbiased.....anyhow, things.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Actually I didn't rank him below all of them I put him as ??? because we don't know next to nothing about him and his powers and abilities. Our only true basis of comparison is that he's done battle with Mundus numerous times before though the results of those battles are unknown save for their last fight. I personally believe he's actually in between Dante and Mundus but I gotta be uhhh what's the word? unbiased.....anyhow, things.

The fact that he is even able to do battle with Mundus is a clear indicator that he ranks between Dante>Mundus>Sparda>Vergil/Nelo Angelo(since he lost outright to Mundus and was forced into enslavement) and then everyone else.

TyrantWayne9999

The fact that he is even able to do battle with Mundus is a clear indicator that he ranks between Dante>Mundus>Sparda>Vergil/Nelo Angelo(since he lost outright to Mundus and was forced into enslavement) and then everyone else.
True, but I was saying with my last comment was that ??? is not bottom tier it just means it's questionable/highly debatable where he belongs. But yes I do believe Sparda's pretty high up there just not entirely sure if it would be in between Dante and Mundus or maybe a little below Dante or maybe just barely above Vergil/Nelo Angelo...but ya.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
True, but I was saying with my last comment was that ??? is not bottom tier it just means it's questionable/highly debatable where he belongs. But yes I do believe Sparda's pretty high up there just not entirely sure if it would be in between Dante and Mundus or maybe a little below Dante or maybe just barely above Vergil/Nelo Angelo...but ya.

I get that you did not mean he was ranked last, but what I am saying is that since its pretty apparent he ranks at the top 3 its not hard to find his placement.

If he was ranked somewhere in the middle than It would be highly debatable, but he obviously ranks in the top 3 just be the simple fact that he was able to do battle with Mundus and somehow scathe past a victory.

Dante was able to do the same without losing his powers and has become a even more powerful beast by DMC2.

And Mundus is....Mundus.

And its obvious (at least to me) that Vergil ranks above all the others besides those 3 I listed above just by the fact that he lost to Mundus outright.

So just by narrowing it down a bit It seems obvious where Sparda would be ranked, I really don't see how its highly debatable at all.

TyrantWayne9999

I get that you did not mean he was ranked last, but what I am saying is that since its pretty apparent he ranks at the top 3 its not hard to find his placement.

If he was ranked somewhere in the middle than It would be highly debatable, but he obviously ranks in the top 3 just be the simple fact that he was able to do battle with Mundus and somehow scathe past a victory.

Dante was able to do the same without losing his powers and has become a even more powerful beast by DMC2.

And Mundus is....Mundus.

And its obvious (at least to me) that Vergil ranks above all the others besides those 3 I listed above just by the fact that he lost to Mundus outright.

So just by narrowing it down a bit It seems obvious where Sparda would be ranked, I really don't see how its highly debatable at all.
fix'd....yup

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Trish has no shape shifting abilities. She disguised herself as any human actress does and she was never Mundus righ hand woman, his only right hand persons were Sparda first, and then later Vergil.Trish was only one of his minions.
Official books and DMC4 novel already cleared up that fact, so it is much as a myth as the belief that Dante doesn't age like any other human does.

I forgot one thing: it seems Lucia is almost strong as Dante in DMC2.That way she is stronger than Trish and Nero for sure.
And Nero is, or at least, has a great chance of being stronger than Trish, since his power seems to come from Vergil.

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
DMC2 dante esoecially majin is more powerful than sparda and his own sparda dt and mundus so he would be top of the list and wreck mundus

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Didn't Quicksilver and Doppelganger disappear from Dante's Arsenal with the rest of his newly-acquired abilities when Temen-ni-gru crumbled to the ground? All of those abilities are tied to the souls of the Tower's guardians, and they disappeared along with it.

I'm pretty sure that's why Dante only retains his original styles (Trickster, Swordmaster, Gunslinger, Royal Guard) in DMC4.

TyrantWayne9999

Didn't Quicksilver and Doppelganger disappear from Dante's Arsenal with the rest of his newly-acquired abilities when Temen-ni-gru crumbled to the ground? All of those abilities are tied to the souls of the Tower's guardians, and they disappeared along with it.

I'm pretty sure that's why Dante only retains his original styles (Trickster, Swordmaster, Gunslinger, Royal Guard) in DMC4.
But we see the Devil Arms that got from that game in the background of his shop in DMC4 (more specifically Beowulf)

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
But we see the Devil Arms that got from that game in the background of his shop in DMC4 (more specifically Beowulf)
I'm looking around the office in the cutscenes and I don't see them. :(

And anyway, it's not so much the Devil Arms that are powerful as the soul of the Guardian within them. Now that they've disappeared with the Tower, it's quite possible that they're just dormant weapons without any of the elemental power that originally coursed through them. That would explain why Dante never used them in DMC4's story. Even Trish didn't make any use of them like the way she was toting Sparda's sword around.

I also think this applies to Doppelganger and Quicksilver, as well.

Top Bottom