• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Plot Holes and possible mistakes (Spoilers)

Devil Triigger

Play outside the box
So I'm interested to know what errors people have found in the game? I noticed a few as I start my second playthrough..

-On the first mission, Kat warns Dante that he could shoot and kill her through Limbo, if so, why was Dante powerless to stop the Swat Team from beating her down.

-Why is it necessary for Dante to be in Limbo in Home Truths?

-If what happens in Limbo also happens in the real world, why is the mansion completely untouched when Dante returns from Limbo at the end of the Home Truths mission while the mansion gets completely destroyed in Limbo

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Regarding the first one, Kat explain she spiritually was in Limbo, projecting, it's why Dante could see her clearly. That means she's effectivaly half in Limbo, and thus CAN be affected; if something kills her spirit form, her body dies. The Swat team was not affected like that since they don't project into Limbo.

AlchemistFromEden

-Kat can phase into limbo, because she's a psychic, meaning that she can be harmed by things in limbo, unlike normal people, like the swat guys
-Dante's parents were constantly trying to contact him in home truths, and the only way for them to do this is through Limbo
-not everything that happens in Limbo has a completely exact effect on the real world, the stronger the demon the stronger their malice affects the real world through Limbo, such as when mundus sent the shockwave through the city, the mansion was full of lesser demons, who have little control over malice, so the actual effect of their malice is not very strong so it doesn't affect the real world as much, like when dante leaves the church just the top falls down while the hunter demon completely destroyed the carnival while fighting dante

EvilX-81

-not everything that happens in Limbo has a completely exact effect on the real world, the stronger the demon the stronger their malice affects the real world through Limbo, such as when mundus sent the shockwave through the city, the mansion was full of lesser demons, who have little control over malice, so the actual effect of their malice is not very strong so it doesn't affect the real world as much, like when dante leaves the church just the top falls down while the hunter demon completely destroyed the carnival while fighting dante

I guess that's as good an explanation as any. It's hard to understand how Limbo and the real world perspective link up sometimes.

SryCauldon

I found the fact that Kat and the Order, the lone resistance group against the world and the demons that control it, did not have any weapons, training in their use, escape routes, or emergency contingency plans in case of discovery, a bit of a plot hole. It was almost like they were just sitting around waiting to be killed if ever discovered. Any rational person in such a situation would have tried to be as prepared as possible for any eventuality if the entire world was essentially against them. And yet, when discovered they were practically helpless, with no escape route or planned procedure, as though not a one had ever even thought they could be found.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I found the fact that Kat and the Order, the lone resistance group against the world and the demons that control it, did not have any weapons, training in their use, escape routes, or emergency contingency plans in case of discovery, a bit of a plot hole. It was almost like they were just sitting around waiting to be killed if ever discovered. Any rational person in such a situation would have tried to be as prepared as possible for any eventuality if the entire world was essentially against them. And yet, when discovered they were practically helpless, with no escape route or planned procedure, as though not a one had ever even thought they could be found.

I just thought Vergil didn't care about those people and generally only cared about getting himself out of there to fulfill his goal along with getting Dante out as well for his plan to work. Because Vergil only needs Dante and him in order to defeat Mundus.

So I'm interested to know what errors people have found in the game? I noticed a few as I start my second playthrough..

-On the first mission, Kat warns Dante that he could shoot and kill her through Limbo, if so, why was Dante powerless to stop the Swat Team from beating her down.

Because Kat's psychic and half of her body is in Limbo. She's got one foot in the water (Limbo) and the other one out. (Human world)

-Why is it necessary for Dante to be in Limbo in Home Truths?

Maybe because Sparda and Eva hid within Limbo along with Dante and Vergil since no one was using Limbo till Mundus came around. They left the house like it was back when they were there, only now it's got a few demons in it.
-If what happens in Limbo also happens in the real world, why is the mansion completely untouched when Dante returns from Limbo at the end of the Home Truths mission while the mansion gets completely destroyed in Limbo

Since Dante came back, it was destroyed within Limbo, but it's human appearance is still in tact. The human world one was more of a curtain to hide the real home.

Adaren

It's arguable whether it's a full-on plot hole or not, but I was bothered by Dante going on the fetch quest for Phineas.

I mean, he knew Phineas was a demon, and since when has Dante shown any mercy to demons (especially those who take a sword swipe at him)? Maybe Dante's had sympathy for him because he's blind, but going out of his way to get a demon back his sight? When Phineas hasn't even promised him anything besides vague "help"? In Limbo, where this very well could be a trap or illusion set by Bob?

Phineas even comments later that Dante only sees "evil" in him. Then why did he help you!? Completely out of character.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
Regarding the first one, Kat explain she spiritually was in Limbo, projecting, it's why Dante could see her clearly. That means she's effectively half in Limbo, and thus CAN be affected; if something kills her spirit form, her body dies. The Swat team was not affected like that since they don't project into Limbo.

Wait, I'm confused. I thought Kat could only enter Limbo in spirit form during "extreme psychosomatic trauma" (when something horrible is happening to her in the real world), like she explained in the Virility mission. She has to have "an out-of-body experience", and she can't do it at will. But in the first mission, she tells Dante "I can phase into Limbo and communicate with you. I can see you, talk to you, but I'm not actually in Limbo with you". I get the feeling they're supposed to be two drastically different things, but I'm not sure how if she can be killed in Limbo either way.

Triceranuke

Wait, I'm confused. I thought Kat could only enter Limbo in spirit form during "extreme psychosomatic trauma" (when something horrible is happening to her in the real world), like she explained in the Virility mission. She has to have "an out-of-body experience", and she can't do it at will. But in the first mission, she tells Dante "I can phase into Limbo and communicate with you. I can see you, talk to you, but I'm not actually in Limbo with you". I get the feeling they're supposed to be two drastically different things, but I'm not sure how if she can be killed in Limbo either way.
During the trauma she described she was able to have her spirit exit her body and roam limbo in full without having to be there and interact directly with it, not sure if she could be killed or not. Otherwise the only thing she has full control over is being able to see what's in limbo and kindof peak in, but she has to physically be there which is why Vergil thought it would be an advantage if she could figure out how to do the out of body thing at will.

I'm assuming that when she phases into limbo things that see her can affect her the same way here molotov affected the hunter when she phased in.

Adaren

This may or may not address your confusion, but a big difference is that when she was performing astral projection (psychosomatic trauma), she was going around the Virility factory without actually being there in the real world. Whenever we see her phased into Limbo in the game, she's in the same place in both the real world and Limbo.

Her line to Dante in Chapter 1 does seem a little weird though, since presumably the demons can't hurt her or even see her. She sits out multiple fights despite being phased into Limbo and regularly runs off without Dante (Chapter 1 and Virility factory). Her general lack of worry for the demons suggests that she's either invulnerable or invisible to them while phased into Limbo. So Dante's ability to shoot her probably has something to do with him being a Nephilim (His bullets are easily able to cross worlds :D).

Of course, if she can't be hurt by the demons in Limbo, she could probably single handedly take down the demon empire with enough of those magical molotovs...

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
It's arguable whether it's a full-on plot hole or not, but I was bothered by Dante going on the fetch quest for Phineas.

I mean, he knew Phineas was a demon, and since when has Dante shown any mercy to demons (especially those who take a sword swipe at him)? Maybe Dante's had sympathy for him because he's blind, but going out of his way to get a demon back his sight? When Phineas hasn't even promised him anything besides vague "help"? In Limbo, where this very well could be a trap or illusion set by Bob?

Phineas even comments later that Dante only sees "evil" in him. Then why did he help you!? Completely out of character.

That's the same mission where Dante tells the Rage Spawn he keeps seeing following him to get lost instead of trying to kill it. I think we're supposed to get the impression that Dante's not some rage-nut killing demons just for the hell of it. If they're not provoking him, blocking in his way, hurting people, or he doesn't need them for some greater goal, he'll pretty much leave them alone. I think I remember he had been completely cut off from accessing Bob's tower, and he needed anybody's help to get to it. But all things considered, it's a little weird he didn't put his sword to Phineas's throat and demand his help, and then Phineas told him he couldn't do anything, threats or not, without his eye. Dante's all polite asking for a demon's help, that was kinda odd. Maybe he subconsciously remembered Phineas serving Sparda and couldn't stop the instinct to be kind to him?

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
During the trauma she described she was able to have her spirit exit her body and roam limbo in full without having to be there and interact directly with it, not sure if she could be killed or not. Otherwise the only thing she has full control over is being able to see what's in limbo and kindof peak in, but she has to physically be there which is why Vergil thought it would be an advantage if she could figure out how to do the out of body thing at will.

Right, I'm only assuming she could be harmed when her spirit actually leaves her body entirely and she isn't physically present in the same place. The only info we have about that is from the prequel comic from the game, where Vergil saves her while she's roaming Limbo and she's about to be killed. Or something, I wasn't totally clear on that bit. The fully-translated comic might clear up a lot of questions about Kat's nascent abilities.

Her line to Dante in Chapter 1 does seem a little weird though, since presumably the demons can't hurt her or even see her. She sits out multiple fights despite being phased into Limbo and regularly runs off without Dante (Chapter 1 and Virility factory). Her general lack of worry for the demons suggests that she's either invulnerable or invisible to them while phased into Limbo. So Dante's ability to shoot her probably has something to do with him being a Nephilim (His bullets are easily able to cross worlds :D).

Oh, I forgot about that! Yeah, Dante might be the special exception to demon inability to hurt her, and Kat knows it because she's been dealing with Vergil for so long. It is indeed odd that she's so unconcerned by the other demons; her main problem seems to be avoiding real-world authorities who show up whenever areas are being trashed due to chaos in Limbo. Maybe she's learned ways of hiding from demons while peeking into Limbo, methods she has to abandon when she's willfully trying to get Dante's attention.

Top Bottom