• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Overrated games...that are still good (but not THAT good)

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i'm not sure if this thread exist already or if something resembling it exist already...but its just something thats been on my mind.

1. the arkham games. i'm sorry, but they're not revolutionary. they do the same thing every other batman game has done except this time it's open world and the combat features a counter button (ikr, so groundbreaking).

2. spider-man 2. i get it. it was the FIRST to feature open world...other than that, it basically does the same things it's predecessors have done. and even games after it have improve upon this game's success.

3. bioshock infinite. dead horse. i'm walking away.

4. call of duty. horse graveyard. walking away (i still think they're pretty fun though...but my point still stands)

5. tony hawk pro skater 2. there have been better skateboard games since this. some even in the same series. calm down.

these are just some that i think get way more attention an devotion than they deserve. again, but my opinions.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
- Last of Us.
The story, character development and visuals of this game are very good, but the gameplay was a bit dull, I played on hard mode first try and the AI was idiotic and often buggy.
An 8/10 game at best.

- Telltale's The Walking Dead.
Great story and character development, but a broken and often unplayable game does not deserve critical acclaim.

- Bioshock Infinite.
Typical story heavy FPS with dull & repetitive FPS gameplay.

- Half Life 2.
I get that Half Life 2's engine was revolutionary for the time, but after playing the awesome original Half Life I jumped right into HL2 and my excitement turned to boredom, I got 2-3 hours into the extremely quiet, uninteresting game breaking boxes, moving bricks & barrels while using weapons with no impact at all and I just got bored and stopped playing.
Yeah the engine is impressive, but the game is no fun.

Reactions: Jak

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Same thing every other Batman game did? And what was that? Suck?

The Arkham games were the basically the first GOOD Batman games and proves we can have some great licensed games. It wasn't mainly some open world because Arkham Asylum wasn't and that was arguably better than City. It's because they were pretty much picture perfect Batman, had solid and fun gameplay mechanics, and was just really Batman done right, FINALLY.

Plus, Spider-Man 2 wasn't the first open world game and that also wasn't mainly the reason why it was so good. It was basically the swinging that made that game so awesome. It was the first Spider-Man game that made you feel like Spider-Man. The swinging mechanics were just perfect. I've yet to see a new Spider-Man game that replicated the rush of swinging in Spider-Man 2.

Also Kinda not fair to call some games overrated because some gaming mechanics and all are just now a little dated.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014

The Arkham games were the basically the first GOOD Batman games and proves we can have some great licensed games. It wasn't mainly some open world because Arkham Asylum wasn't and that was arguably better than City. It's because they were pretty much picture perfect Batman, had solid and fun gameplay mechanics, and was just really Batman done right, FINALLY.

Plus, Spider-Man 2 wasn't the first open world game and that also wasn't mainly the reason why it was so good. It was basically the swinging that made that game so awesome. It was the first Spider-Man game that made you feel like Spider-Man. The swinging mechanics were just perfect. I've yet to see a new Spider-Man game that replicated the rush of swinging in Spider-Man 2.

Also Kinda not fair to call some games overrated because some gaming mechanics and all are just now a little dated.
i'm not saying they haven't aged well. they all aged pretty well. i'm just saying that they get way too much praise.

are you sure? i was certain spider-man 2 was the first spider-man open world game. oh well. i just think that there are at least 3 spider-man games that are better than it. like ultimate spider-man, spider-man web of shadows and the amazing spider-man 2.

the arkham series is no doubt a great set of games. but when people call it "revolutionary" or "groundbreaking" i kind of **** my pants. like...its just doing the same thing other batman games have done before but polishing them. rise of sin tzu was pretty good and vengance was pretty fun as well. i haven't played batman begins in a few years, but based off of gameplay vids i've seen it looks a lot like the arkham games' dad.

Maxman

Hmmmm ,

Gears of War :p , tried the first game on PC, got boring about half-way, and then got to try GOW3, i thought it was pretty good and fun

It's just that, GOW is itself pretty good and provides some good fun, but I really can't see how the extreme level of praise it gets

just my 2 cents :3

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Excellent game, but far from being a step forward or improvement for the Mario series...especially given how it borrowed heavily from its predecessor.
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - My favorite PC game of all time...but an extremely botched title for the Elder Scrolls series. The complete removal of classes, bizarre and estranging omissions from decade-old games like Daggerfall or Morrowind, and some of the most blatant fetch-quests I've seen in a game. Great game, but far from perfect.
  • The Last of Us - what happens when you saddle some of the best cinematic and story value of any game in this generation to monotonous, linear, and horrendously-boring gameplay. If you copy and pasted TLoU's gameplay to ANY other game without the mountainous production value Naughty Dog got from Sony, you'd be left with one of the most unimpressive demonstrations of gameplay in the survival horror genre.
  • DmC: Devil May Cry - Yes, I adore this game. No, I don't believe it deserves bleeding 9 and 10 scores across every review board in existence, nor do I believe it "changed the way video game stories are told" the way Taneem Antoniades hoped it would. With a longer campaign, more punishing modes of difficulty, and slightly better execution of its story (for the sake of scope and plot congruency), this would have most definitely been the game professional reviewers make it out to be.
  • Batman Arkham City - I will go on record by saying I love the original game, Arkham Asylum. It was atmospheric, dark, sinister...like a page out of Batman: Haunted Knight or Batman: The Long Halloween. And what was Arkham City? One, massive, empty, uninteractable sandbox with clusters of enemies every five feet, overshadowed by quite possibly the most embarassingly-stupid plot Paul Dini has ever penned in his distinguished career. Really, now? A plot that literally boils down to a fetch quest in order to shoe-horn every Batman villain we can? And I hear people talk about the story like it redefined superhero games. Yeah, because turning Batman into the DC equivalent of Ezio Auditore, gaming's most notorious errand boy, truly deserves all the accolades in the world. It's a fun game, but not a worthy successor to Asylum...and CERTAINLY not the best superhero game to date.
  • Resident Evil 4 - I will never understand why this game is single-handedly praised as the greatest entry in the Resident Evil series, but games like RE5 and RE6 are ripped apart for being essentially the same thing: a shooting gallery. What makes RE4 different? The fact that the color palette consists of browns and greys instead of RE5's consistent palette of straight-up bright yellow for the majority of its daylight levels? The fact that it takes place in B-movie locales like a village and a castle instead of a factory or a skyscraper? RE4 isn't suddenly the eptiome of the series because it has slightly more ominous feel than its sequels...leveling a game as the Lord and Savior of the series because cosmetic differences is like saying the Thief reboot is superior because it has prettier graphics. None of these elements change the fact that RE4 is essentially House of the Dead from an over-the-shoulder perspective, and NOT a survival horror game. There's no feeling of helplessness, isolation, tension or scariness...you can still murder everything just as easily as you could in RE5 or RE6. I find this game immensely fun...but I'm not going to pretend through the rose-tinted lenses of my nostalgia goggles like it's the best game in the series, or the greatest survival horror game ever made (and yes, I've heard people make that claim).
  • Star Fox 64 - A classic of the N64 era, an addicting rail-shooter with dozens of multiple pathways. But is it the single-greatest Star Fox game to ever exist? Not by a long shot. It's gameplay doesn't have the difficulty or the strategic nature of either Star Fox or Star Fox 2. The story and the music all pale in comparison of entries that came before AND after it...and the voice acting? Well...as a hardcore Star Fox fan, I will tell you with complete and utter honesty that it's aged like milk in a basement. It's not horrible, but it's not the "so-bad-it's-good" quality that I keep hearing. Some of the one-liners are even kind of annoying...and not nearly as iconic or memorable as the Internet has spun them into being.
  • Dark Souls - The textbook definition of a well-made and excellent game completely dethroned by the excessive amounts of baseless, overblown hype surrounding it. Anyone who acts like this is one of the hardest games ever made hasn't played Ghouls and Ghosts, Double Dragon III, F-Zero GX, or just about any of the staple-brand shmups that have been made in recent years. It boasts a hefty and enjoyable challenge, but not to the level its fans, critics, even its marketing proclaims it to be.
The only reason I don't add Heavy Rain, Catherine, Final Fantasy XIII and the Metal Gear Franchise to this list is because they were never good to begin with...and adding them would imply that they may be overrated but still boast a sliver actual quality---which I can assure you, they most certainly do not.

In other words, Batman on NES, Batman Returns on SNES, Batman: TAS on Sega Genesis, Batman Vengeance on Gamecube, and Batman Begins on Gamecube all sucked.

Wow. Really? All of them?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
In other words, Batman on NES, Batman Returns on SNES, Batman: TAS on Sega Genesis, Batman Vengeance on Gamecube, and Batman Begins on Gamecube all sucked.

Wow. Really? All of them?

All those yea, except for the Genesis Batman Returns. That one slipped my mind.

WolfOD64

All those yea, except for the Genesis Batman Returns. That one slipped my mind.
If you say so. I thought all of those games were fun, and more than a few of them were exceptional in their own right. Batman Vengeance, in particular, already had mechanics and ideas Batman Arkham Asylum wouldn't implement until 2009.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You thought Dark Souls was overrated? Alright, but the atmosphere gets me every time. Also, call me a "casual" but it would be nice to have easier difficulty levels so that I can just play for fun instead of concentrating solely on survival.

WolfOD64

You thought Dark Souls was overrated? Alright, but the atmosphere gets me every time. Also, call me a "casual" but it would be nice to have easier difficulty levels so that I can just play for fun instead of concentrating solely on survival.
Dark Souls's difficulty is overrated. The game itself is a very unique and dark venture into the sinister realms of a twisted fantasy world, one that the creators have even admitted to have been influenced by Kentaro Miura's seinen epic, Berserk.

The atmosphere, world, and enemy designs are all superb without question. It's just not nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
YOU FILTHY CASSY. GO PLAY CALL OF BOOTY OR *gags* A MOVIE TIE IN GAME

(one would think that dark souls is actually an underrated game...oh well)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Dark Souls's difficulty is overrated. The game itself is a very unique and dark venture into the sinister realms of a twisted fantasy world, one that the creators have even admitted to have been influenced by Kentaro Miura's seinen epic, Berserk.

The atmosphere, world, and enemy designs are all superb without question. It's just not nearly as hard as people make it out to be.
Yea, if you know what you're doing, you'll be fine.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
infamous second son. yeah exploring is fun but at the end of the day, there's nothing much to do except beat up drug dealers or take out the occasional dup forces that wander around the city.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
The first Fable game. Sure, it was good, but when other Fable fans are like "it's perfect!!!" I'm just like "Should I make a list of all the things that are really frustrating? :shifty:" Like, for instance, using Will is a pain in the butt and the way NPCs and guards are make it really difficult to be an evil/thief-like character without having to run screaming from the town you're in or pay a fine (and sometimes both). That's not to say that the game isn't good, but it is far from perfect, in my opinion.

chubbz98

im a grown man Afraid to play dmc 1 at night
1.dark souls
i love this game don't get me wrong but some people praise it for all the wrong reasons ignoring one of the big issues with it the gameplay its very basic dodge and attack rinse and repeat as an rpg the game is amazing but as an action hack and slash the game doesn't have much depth combat wise as a game like that should.
2.grand theft auto iv
having played all the games in the gta series gta iv felt like a let down compared to San Andrea's first of all the map liberty city felt dead not as not populated but in things to do in it not only smaller compared to san andreas map but allot of the mini games that made previous games fun to play were removed in favor of a more realistic approach to the game after you beat the campaign which imo was amazing there felt like there was nothing to do going on rampages didn't as feel good, compared to san andreas customization wise your options for your char were nerfed car customization was removed entirely, its not a bad game but compared to previous games some elements felt lack luster.
3.the assassins creed series
they don't feel like stealth games what i mean is they don't play like a traditional stealth game were you try your at most best not to be seen in these games you can take on a whole group of enemy's with ease which eliminates the tension that stealth games thrive on if the player doesn't feel overpowered by the enemy then there's no reason to avoid them they advertise the games as a stealth game but in realty there action games with stealth elements and there's no variety in how you carry out the assassinations, and combat wise the games feel to easy i don't feel challenged like i should be in games like this, still enjoyable games overall but when you compare them to say the deus ex or hitman series you see the problems with the series.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
infamous second son. yeah exploring is fun but at the end of the day, there's nothing much to do except beat up drug dealers or take out the occasional dup forces that wander around the city.

Or do the story line, or the side quests....

Top Bottom