• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Oh no, not another Nero and Vergil Theory...

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Biggest problem with devil may cry 4 was the huge nero character plot hole we of the dmc4 fan club are all wishing this to be fixed

Exactly. I wish it had been fixed with more thought to Nero, instead of throwing out the quickest, most cliche explaination possible. They could have done a lot with him, but they goofed up badly. Nero deserved more than to be given no backstory, then years later to have a quick explaination that doesn't even make sense if you look at the age Vergil would have been at the time Nero was born.

At least the theories on here are much better than what Capcom actually gave him. Maybe Capcom can learn a thing or two about making character backstory from this topic.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Exactly. I wish it had been fixed with more thought to Nero, instead of throwing out the quickest, most cliche explaination possible. They could have done a lot with him, but they goofed up badly. Nero deserved more than to be given no backstory, then years later to have a quick explaination that doesn't even make sense if you look at the age Vergil would have been at the time Nero was born.

At least the theories on here are much better than what Capcom actually gave him. Maybe Capcom can learn a thing or two about making character backstory from this topic.

Agreed i hope they fix it because i loved playing as nero

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Agreed i hope they fix it because i loved playing as nero
Same here. I love his playing style; using the devil bringer was a really interesting game mechanic, as well as charging up red queen.
While his gameplay was really good and fun to play, they really neglected Nero as a character.>_< He was supposed to be the main man this time round so he deserved some decent story and character development. I know they tried their best, but it could have been more.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Same here. I love his playing style; using the devil bringer was a really interesting game mechanic, as well as charging up red queen.
While his gameplay was really good and fun to play, they really neglected Nero as a character.>_< He was supposed to be the main man this time round so he deserved some decent story and character development. I know they tried their best, but it could have been more.

Agreed man i loved the devil bringer it mad chaining combos so much easier lol and yah i wish they had made his back story ready and like air tight before they brought him into the series

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
In the Trailer, Nero was reaching out to Kyrie to try and save her. But no matter what, he couldn't get to her. Now it's all very sad, but what resemblances to Vergil's life does that have? Well for one thing, Vergil sought after more power since he couldn't save his mum's life. Vergil is misunderstood by the many, projected as the bad guy. But if you look deep into his story, you can see what really drives him. An urge for more power to gain more control and protect the ones he loves.

Yes, though it isn't quite the same. Nero searches for more power at first, but then finds it when he realizes being 'human', that is, to have strong emotions and love, is the way to have that power. As Nero says, ''Sparda had a heart that could love another person - a human - and that is what you lack!'' after which he pretty much easily defeats Sanctus.

For instance, he still has love for his brother Dante. He won't let Dante get in the way of him gaining more power, but he doesn't want to kill him. That much is evident. It was Vergil who woke Dante's Devil Trigger in Devil May Cry 3, giving Dante more power. Vergil wasn't trying to cause harm to him, he was trying to protect him.

I'm not so sure about that. Vergil does seem slightly surprised when he says ''I see a devil inside you has awoken as well''. I think it was his intent to simply knock Dante out. Nobody knows whether he already knew that Dante had unlocked his Devil Trigger or not.

Okay, so protecting loved ones is one similarity that Nero and Vergil share. But hear me out. Nero has Vergil's power inside of him (He is kind of corrupted by him in a sense) He has his blue ghost Devil Trigger, and wields the Yamato. Nero harbours all of these things that relate him to Vergil. Hence why so many believe he is Vergil's son. But evidently that wouldn't be possible. Nero comes across as a confused being who doesn't know how he came to be, or what his real purpose is. His love for Kyrie is mainly what drives him. And Vergil is coming through to him telling him to seek more power, so he can be strong enough to protect his loved ones.

That's true. I believe part of Vergil is still inside the Yamato - yes, in Japanese lore swords can have souls, or harbor the souls of their wielders. Now, since Sparda created the Yamato, that could mean it's part of his soul that's been awakened by Nero. That could explain why his DT is blue, yet doesn't look like Vergil's DT (Vergil's DT did not have a halo attached to his shoulders, or that type of horns on his head). Remember, Sparda consists of blue and red; Dante and Vergil. The Yamato may simply house the blue part of him; the part that craves power. However, whether Sparda himself ever craved power, we don't know. What we do know is that Dante and Vergil represent the two sides of Sparda, so it's not far-fetched.

Most likely it's simply Vergil's soul inside the Yamato, aiding Nero in his quest for power by granting him a Devil Trigger. It would better explain why it's blue, and why Nero shouts Vergil's catchphrases when in DT.

Ridiculously similar plot, don't you think? Devil May Cry 4 is essentially Devil May Cry 3's story, with Dante and Vergil's back story put into a new protagonist and with a new location. There's nothing really original about it, except Nero's introduction and his arm needless to say.

Yes, but I wouldn't say that proves Nero is Vergil; it just proves that Capcom had to rush the plot, or just didn't want to think of anything original. But then, Nero's reaction to Dante is pretty logical. If seemingly innocent humans got murdered by somebody who didn't even explain why he did it, you'd try to stop him, too. Of course, later Nero found out that those humans were demons themselves.

It is clear that Nero harnesses the blood of Sparda, but it could only be through his connection with Vergil.

Why? Nero has white hair like the twins, and extraordinary power even without the DB arm. I think it's pretty clear he's a family member of Sparda, though it's not clear if he's his nephew or what. Besides, how do you get somebody's blood? It's just not possible; others' blood gets taken over by your bloodstream after a while. Like Sanctus said: ''though I must salute a man who carries the blood of Sparda'' and ''a descendant of Sparda's blood''. You can't be a descendant if you're only possessed by Vergil.

At the end of Devil May Cry 4, Dante tells Nero that the sword was his brother's. And that it should stay in the family. And afterwards he lets Nero keep it. Does Dante know something that he isn't letting on? Does he know that there is a connection between Nero and Vergil?

Yeah, I think he can see just fine. Besides, Nero seems to be related by blood any which way you cut it. I think Dante simply saw that Nero is strong enough to keep the Yamato safe, aside from the fact that he's family and houses Vergil's soul.

I mean look at it this way. He just sort of, turns up. We don't think anyone invited him, he just comes in out of the blue. Maybe his connection with Vergil brought him to Nero, because of Nero's connection with Vergil? And that's why he lets him keep the Yamato, because he knows that Vergil would of wanted it to belong to him (In a way, we see Nero as both Nero and Vergil).

Trish gave the Order the Yamato and Sparda swords (in the form of Gloria), to see what they'd do with them. If they simply put them in a museum, no harm done. But they found out they were experimenting with the Yamato, and opening hell gates. And so, they decided to head out to defeat them. That Trish gave them the swords can be literally heard in the game's dialog (Sanctus says it in a meeting).

The only questions that really remain are how did Nero get the arm in the first place? And how and more so why did Vergil 'corrupt' Nero? And what is Vergil planning if he did have anything to do with that?

Nero was attacked in Mitis Forest by demons (that probably came from the first hell gate opened). The arm still doesn't make sense to me, though. I'm not sure if Vergil has the power to have a plan and carry it out. So far, we've only seen the Yamato give Nero a Devil Trigger form, much like the Yamato did to Vergil. It's just his soul, in my view.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Sorry about that huge post. My views are bolded and put after yours. So, yeah, Nero is related to Sparda (and thus Vergil and Dante), and gets some sort of Devil Trigger aided by Vergil's soul, which is inside the Yamato. The Devil Bringer arm still doesn't make sense, though. But then, Nero was meant to have a full Devil Trigger; I used to have it as my avatar. It showed Nero having a DT like the blue one in the game, only in bodily form, colored red and blue.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
...:rolleyes: Yes, another Nero and Vergil Theory I'm putting out here. Here's one I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned before. If they have, then my apologies. It struck my mind whilst I was watching a Devil May Cry 4 Trailer earlier, and I feel pretty stupid for not thinking on this earlier.

In the Trailer, Nero was reaching out to Kyrie to try and save her. But no matter what, he couldn't get to her. Now it's all very sad, but what resemblances to Vergil's life does that have? Well for one thing, Vergil sought after more power since he couldn't save his mum's life. Vergil is misunderstood by the many, projected as the bad guy. But if you look deep into his story, you can see what really drives him. An urge for more power to gain more control and protect the ones he loves. For instance, he still has love for his brother Dante. He won't let Dante get in the way of him gaining more power, but he doesn't want to kill him. That much is evident. It was Vergil who woke Dante's Devil Trigger in Devil May Cry 3, giving Dante more power. Vergil wasn't trying to cause harm to him, he was trying to protect him. Okay, so protecting loved ones is one similarity that Nero and Vergil share. But hear me out. Nero has Vergil's power inside of him (He is kind of corrupted by him in a sense) He has his blue ghost Devil Trigger, and wields the Yamato. Nero harbours all of these things that relate him to Vergil. Hence why so many believe he is Vergil's son. But evidently that wouldn't be possible. Nero comes across as a confused being who doesn't know how he came to be, or what his real purpose is. His love for Kyrie is mainly what drives him. And Vergil is coming through to him telling him to seek more power, so he can be strong enough to protect his loved ones.

So my theory is that Vergil's spirit is still alive inside of Nero, controlling him in a sense. And maybe Vergil's body and mind is somewhere else entirely. Therefore it isn't completely definite to rule Vergil out as dead. As how can he be dead when so many things about him are evident in Nero himself? Not possible. Furthermore I can back my case up by more similarities.

For example. When Dante enters the scene in Devil May Cry 4, he instantly has a fight with Nero. They continuously fight throughout the game until they team up in the end to defeat the ultimate evil (The Saviour) Now this one is self explanatory. Observe Devil May Cry 3. Dante battles his brother at several points through the game, until they team up in the end and defeat the ultimate evil (Arkham/Jester/Green Blob Sparda Thing) Ridiculously similar plot, don't you think? Devil May Cry 4 is essentially Devil May Cry 3's story, with Dante and Vergil's back story put into a new protagonist and with a new location. There's nothing really original about it, except Nero's introduction and his arm needless to say.

It is clear that Nero harnesses the blood of Sparda, but it could only be through his connection with Vergil. This could make us think that Sanctus and The Order met with Vergil at some stage and they devised something. But how would Vergil of found them? Why would he of sought after them? Lots of unexplained things.

At the end of Devil May Cry 4, Dante tells Nero that the sword was his brother's. And that it should stay in the family. And afterwards he lets Nero keep it. Does Dante know something that he isn't letting on? Does he know that there is a connection between Nero and Vergil? Can he sense it or feel the demonic connection because Vergil has the same blood as him? It makes you wonder how much of a connection Dante has with Vergil. But I think it's a pretty strong one, in the sense that he could even know if Vergil is in danger or some sort. And was it that connection with Vergil that brought him to Fortuna in the first place? I mean look at it this way. He just sort of, turns up. We don't think anyone invited him, he just comes in out of the blue. Maybe his connection with Vergil brought him to Nero, because of Nero's connection with Vergil? And that's why he lets him keep the Yamato, because he knows that Vergil would of wanted it to belong to him (In a way, we see Nero as both Nero and Vergil) May sound odd, but that's how I view it. Maybe they won't ever bring Vergil back, because he isn't truly dead as long as there is Nero.

The only questions that really remain are how did Nero get the arm in the first place? And how and more so why did Vergil 'corrupt' Nero? And what is Vergil planning if he did have anything to do with that?

Please discuss.
I think you and i discussed something similar a year or two ago.

My input was that Vergil's mind is frazzled from years under mundus's torture so he isn't truly cognizant outside of basic survival instincts hence why Nero is still in control.

Interesting thing is that the possession could go both ways so if Vergil ever pulls himself together he might have picked up some of Nero's traits and Vice Versa :cool:

Top Bottom