• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Next generation of gaming: Are you awed yet ?

How do you feel about the "next gen" of gaming ?

• I feel skeptical of "Next gen" legitimacy

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I feel Amazed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I feel Disappointed my PC could do the same thing 2 years ago

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Meh... it was okay i guess ?

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Well I'm not i just stand here bummed out like a idiot who can't figure WTF is wrong my head

I watched "Watch Dogs" and "The Division" trailer in HD and it doesn't seem to be anything new like the transition from PS2 to PS3 it just seems like it has a little bit more graphical details.

I still remember back in 2006 i felt like WOW Ps3 really looks so awesome ! the physics,the graphics are a gigantic leap from the grainy&restrictive ps2 i know of !

But now here i stand scratching my head why exactly i am not completely blown by the "Next" generation of consoles is it because graphics&physics aren't a novelty anymore ? or is it because next generation isn't really that big of an upgrade over current gen ?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I'm not impressed by the graphics or physics of next gen, of course it's because my PC has played games that look better than anything I've seen on the PS4 and Xbone.

Also I'm not excited about the "NEXT GENERATION OF GAMING" because seriously, what the hell is there to be excited about?
More dumbed down games? More horrific character redesigns? Inevitable Always on DRM? More restrictions than options? More story focused bores instead of gameplay innovations?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I'm not impressed by the graphics or physics of next gen, of course it's because my PC has played games that look better than anything I've seen on the PS4 and Xbone.
And that's the reason i guess they're trying to be more then just boxes solely meant for gaming with all their superficial "TV social B.S" and "Motion sensing" gimmicks because over the years PC has become a much more of an optimal platform for both Web browsing and full on gaming even portable devices like Ipad are reaping by emulating that sole feature whereas Sony&micro$oft are pulling thier hair thinking of way to attract more interest in their dire age old formula.
what the hell is there to be excited about? More restrictions than options?
That's a good point... Consoles themselves are becoming more or less of a restriction for game developers.

The forced deadlines,the forced restrictions for 5+ years,the forced game engines and whatnot.. but at least they now all use 86X architecture which means they can produce games for PC first and then port it to Xbox&pS4

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I am a staunch believer of "A good game is a good game". Next gen games, last gen games, current gen games. All of those terms hold little to no meaning to me. So my answer to this topic will be "lol adjectives". :lol:

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Hmmm....
Metal Gear Solid V
The Witcher 3
GTA V
Final Fantasy XV

I think it's pretty good. New IPs this generation doesn't interest me one bit. Well Ryse did but the gameplay man :/
Plus it's on Sh*tboxone so screw it.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Hmmm....
Metal Gear Solid V
The Witcher 3
GTA V
Final Fantasy XV
As happy i am to keep playing current gen games i'm afraid just like PS2 IP's they all will inevitably move on to their powerful counterparts and you'll be forced to buy a console or upgrade your PC.
Plus it's on Sh*tboxone so screw it.
Well call it whatever you wish its definitely a matter of concern because:-

No1 It is ultimately going to replace 360 in 3 years or so
No2 Its setting up a whole new standard of gaming both in terms of Graphics&physics.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I'm excited about the scale of future games, visuals will improve slightly as will other areas. All in all most games will likely feel like upgrades of the current gen, however they have much more RAM etc to play with so games scale could increase massively. With both consoles now using Blu Ray also it means that developers won't be worrying about disc space before release. Might even see less games needing day one DLC unlocks because content had to be stripped to fit on disc.

Plus we will be able to multitask on consoles for the first time properly. Bringing the juggling of apps/menus etc closer to how you would alt+tab between windows on a PC.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
I'm actually quite relieved that the next-generation consoles don't try to go overboard with graphics and stuff. It ensures that I don't need to upgrade my PC yet. I hate when game companies go like "Battlefield 3 requires 2 GTX 580s to run at ulra" and "Crysis 3 will melt your PC" etc. Ya'know... everyone in not born with a golden spoon.

Like one of the person above said, "a good game is a good game" regardless of current gen or next to next gen.

And yeah, if you look at the technical specs and compare, you'll see that consoles have really become next gen, but still are far from PCs.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Might even see less games needing day one DLC unlocks because content had to be stripped to fit on disc.
I have a bad feeling about this especially since micro transactions are pretty much screwing us over big time.
Plus we will be able to multitask on consoles for the first time properly. Bringing the juggling of apps/menus etc closer to how you would alt+tab between windows on a PC.
That is only because PC is a multipurpose unit unlike consoles which are just meant for playing games they don't have windows 7 like OS and a dedicated keyboard+mouse for that purpose.

EDIT: At least i have so called prerequisite for my PC i need windows 7&Keyboard mouse to actually switch from my gaming.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Nope, not at all and here's one reason: I haven't played any of the new games. Here me out on this, watching games is nothing compared to actually playing them. Watching people pull off cool tricks, sick combos, and perform speedruns are cool, but doing those yourself gives a much better feeling. Surviving through waves of challenging enemies or annoying enemies, racing against people and winning just by a hair, performing your first 100-hit combo, or defeating the secret boss, those are things best experienced by yourself.

The opposite usually involves trailers and demos showing the exciting parts of the games and then finding out those are few. Games need to sell for companies to survive and media industries all over do this even if it's a dirty tactic. I mean, why do you think the press bothers people all the time and take photos when they shouldn't? Even worse are when the demos and trailers look like crap and gives bad impressions until you play them and find out the truth. Ever watch Good Will Hunting? Now, go watch the trailers for it. Yeah, it does nothing to show the beauty that Good Will Hunting is.

Watching Super Mario Bros. is kind of boring. With New Super Mario Bros., at least multiplayer exists and videos of those with screaming, enraged people are funny. Playing them, that's excitement even if you're bad at them - like I am. Playing Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Dragon's Crown, wow, just wow, look at the art of the games and the food! *drools* Sneaking by guards in Metal Gear is terrifying, hilarious, and stressful. Going through space in Super Mario Galaxy, oh my, it's so beautiful and fun! Seeing Link pound at the crystal Zelda is in, sad and painful to watch. Listening to Sly make witty lines, golden. Watching Qwark screw around and be, well... Qwark, hilarious. That's the thrill of experiencing things firsthand compared to watching from afar.

I'll be awed when I go through a car chase in Watch_Dogs and hack guard rails or something. I'll be awed when I land the dive bomb in inFAMOUS: Second Son. I'll be awed when I play the games.

Oh, and Youtube quality doesn't help.

IncarnatedDemon

Games aren't about graphics nor story telling. Yet AAA developers seem to be focusing on them.
The Last OF Us , i havent played it but i watched PewDiePie play the game, and i must say the graphics and the story telling was.....AMAZING!

BUT...i hear from a reliable source that the gameplay of Last OF Us is not as impressive as the other aspects. And ive even watched the gameplay and it doesnt look very innovative.
Not saying its bad, but my point is...the focus on graphics and story has provided a lesser gameplay experience.

Even without a 3d, movement, AAA graphics, motion capture, story or anything that isnt core of games:
a simple developer can make a fun and enjoyable experience.
ITs all about how you design the game. It really is. And the hard job is to figure out the design, and its not a easy task.
But if you manage to make a unique game design for a game, what you have is...a awesome game. I played this game, its quite nice, i love its simplisitic gameplay.

And i love seeing progress and how developers evolve their games gameplay. This is why i have taken notice to Vigil Games Darksiders 2 progress.
This is why i praise PG.
This is why i dont praise Ninja theory. They dont understand core of games. But as i said above, they arent alone about that.

GTA 5 ...another game progressing, and i love that :D
Rockstar has to a good degree understood the moto "Games are not about standing still or regression but improvement".

Oh i also have a "F u " thought to Asassin creed after the story ended. Though to certain degree the new game can be enjoyed (Pirates and sea traveling gameplay).

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Current Gen Picks: Remember Me, Sleeping Dogs, Darksiders Series (DS & SD both came out in August 2012), Kingdoms of Amalur, Persona 4: Arena

Next Gen: Um... Watch Dogs (can't seem to like any title that doesn't have that word in it) and... crap, I can't think of anything else that I'd like.

F#ck next-gen. I hope it dies.

Top Bottom