• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Interview with the Producer of the new DmC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrysander

This guy doesn't know what he's on about. I don't like to sound like a stubbornly angry fan, but nothing there reassured me at all, just made me think they are screwing around for the hell of it. If they want to make it darker and all that, that's one thing, but his actual character and design needn't change that much. When redesigning batman for Dark Knight, he was still recognisable as batman, okay the costume was updated, which is what I expect for Dante, but it was still batman. DMC3 and DMC4 dante look very different, but I didn't complain because it's still obviously the same guy. The Dark Knight / DMC5 comparison doesn't work or defend the decision at all

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
I think I'm of the mind of the comment that said "telling me it could of been worse doesn't make it better." :p

Now the comic at pixiv calling for the murder of Capcom USA and Capcom Europe make a little sense. What a depressing article for a little Dante fan like me.

VirgilTheart

*Notices the lack of the apparently worse design's image in the article* Hmm... I don't doubt that there were worse designs, but I get the twisted feeling that might make things worse for folks.

Note I actually think that the new design is decent and as the interview yet again seems to imply, Dante's white locks will be with us again soon. :D The only thing I'd have them fix for the initial design is the smoking and "druggie look". I don't mind if he bleeds, or if he starts off with black hair; just get rid of the smoking and what-not. Even if Dante quits the habit during the plot (unless its something overly important to the plot too, which I highly doubt), I'd just cross that habit out to begin with. I think that'd be a great first step in getting the fans to calm down.

BTW, was the dude that was interviewed the dude who actually looks like the new Dante in real life?

Chrysander

Vampi;276351 said:
Video interview with the developers of DmC about their inspiration for the reboot http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-10-devil-may/704980

Thanks for the link! :)

The 2nd guy said that he thought DMC2 was a great game (he said that every installation was good). Also these guys dodge and dive like politicians. "We're going to aim to be thinking about changing up the thing with the gameplay so that it's all deep and stuff, too early to tell, I mean there are 5 steps to getting this thing on the shelf". I get so sick of these kinds of interviews, same with Splatterhouse and Dead Space 2, these guys can't just talk straight.

Vampi

Well, its a new game that's still in development. I don't think everything is totally finalized now. So of course they can't say much since they're still in the planning stages.

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
Yeah, thanks for finding and posting these Vampi. Painful as it was to watch for me. The part about it having already been in development for a year and all of that being finalizing this new Dante... sadly explains why Capcom likely ain't going to can it or change anything about him now.

But when that 2nd guy said there were things about the original that were iconic and needed to be preserved for the game to be successful, it just floors me that they don't think one of those things was the character of Dante.

And it really isn't just the looks. (But yeah, he still looks nasty to me.) If the game made it to PC, I could find a way to change how he looks and take that issue out of the equation. But I couldn't change his personality - isn't that the big beef with DMC2 Dante? Why are they taking this approach again and thinking it will do better now?

And I couldn't change the cigarette thing. I mean, I could paint it to look like a carrot or something, but he'd only look slightly less ridiculous smoking it.

VirgilTheart

Kittn;276365 said:
And I couldn't change the cigarette thing. I mean, I could paint it to look like a carrot or something, but he'd only look slightly less ridiculous smoking it.

How about turning it into a spoonful of strawberry sundae? ;)

heatlancer

1# Trickster
it's just that changing dante is sorta like changing solid snake
i can just imagine a skinny punk turning around to the camera "my name is snake"

lol, what an uproar

anyway, lets just hope the game is good

aoshi

BGM on the trailer was very good.Hope its a BGM in the game as well.

I agree with statements with dante being a rebel and his characterization needs to be morphed to current cultural context. I mean its a game directed at 18 year olds.So fairy tale elements need to be morphed which is wat i guess is the direction the developers have taken.But not sure how are they preserving cultural elements with punk and graffitti. DMC 3 had a good mix of rebel and cultural elements like swords,pizzas or swords and guns.

If capcom officials have reviewed it, I think ninja theory should be fine.Hopefully we get to hear from kobayashi as well.One person that has not spoken or have heard is hideaki itsuno who seems to be director of DMC 3 and 4. I think directors review and propose design of game. But have not heard any comments from him.

ZenTzen

Even with all my hate for the new design, what i'm really worried about is the gameplay, in that kotaku interview it was said that capcom usa are fans of NT and their games, so i'm worried that they'll change the gameplay to something like heavenly sword with QTEs

Rage06

ZenTzen;276372 said:
Even with all my hate for the new design, what I'm really worried about is the gameplay, in that kotaku interview it was said that capcom USA are fans of NT and their games, so I'm worried that they'll change the gameplay to something like heavenly sword with QTEs

Same here :( Devil may cry has its own game-play and that is one of the main reasons people came to love the game. It has its own style and look and if they do make it like Heavenly sword (it was good but in no way will it be any good for DMC) people will go nuts.
Hopefully they expand on Devil may cry 3's game-play and make it totally awesome (next gen style ^^)

Vampi

So Capcom were the mastermind for this new look for Dante the whole time

128787112481631103.jpg

I feel bad for Ninja Theory. They're gonna take so much heat from this, even though its not entirely their fault.

Inafune is out of his mind. And to think i thought he had sum common sense in him. I crown him the new Kobayashi for this game. Welcome Inafune, your name shall be tarnished in DMC fans mind until Capcom comes up with a proper sequel.

I knew Capcom hated Vergil and that's why he wasn't in DMC 4. But to think that they would hate the DMC series so much that they had to scrap what made DMC unique into this atrocity...it just sickens me. DMC is one of my all time favorite game series, and to let it be treated with such carelessness from its history is just shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom