• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
Ok...i've noticed in the dmc games that a lot is based off of the classic epic poem, The Divine Comedy...In a sense that the main character in the play is dante and he's making a journey through hell...He has a guide who is older and wiser to him, named virgil...they both go through challenges and have different goals...they also have different personalities..now in the third part of the story, virgil is replaced by another guide, a woman named beatrice...now i bring this up because the children of sparda are named after these two characters, both of which are poets...and i think i new female will be introduced and her name will be beatrice...only because of the storyline in the play....the only flaw that may be seen in this is that it doesn't explain nero...but if u read the story or at least a summary of it, u'd understand where i'm coming from...thoughts?

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Actually it's DMC1 that is a reflexion of the Divine Comedy, not DMC3. It had Vergil - though in Nelo Angelo form. And Beatrice, known as Trish:p

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
Omg...i feel so stupid now...never thought of beatrice as trish....ur right....but three may also be included...cerberus is in the inferno, as well as a cyclops, who can also be called beowulf in the games...it seems the games go alot off these classics....but where is nero from then?...

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I don't know about Nero, but if I am not wrong the names Lady (I think Dante in the Divine Comedy, met Mary - the mother of Jesus, but he did not know her name, like with Dante's case) and Lucia (forgive me I can't remember exactly where she fits:p) were in the Divine Comedy as well. We don't know much about Nero yet, setting aside the fact that he has a Devil Arm and loves Kyrie, but maybe him, or maybe the whole Order could be somehow connected.:lol:

And you are right about Cerberus. Funny thing with him is that he was introduced in the 3rd Mission, while Dante of the Divine Comedy met him in the 3rd layer of hell or something;)

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Lucia was one of the Saints that guided Dante on his journey, I believe she was in the Paradiso section. Really most of the plot links to Divine comedy finished out with DMC3(the tower signifying the levels of hell in a fashion even more than Mallet Island did, the introduction of Mary/Lady), DMC4 is something completely on its own. In fact, the theme of characters in DMC4 was actually religious songs. Kyrie, Credo, Gloria and Sanctus are all names of songs from old christian hymns and songs of praise. The only one that doesn't really fit in there is Agnus, and Nero is the odd one out anyway.

I almost supposed you could see the whole situation in Fortuna as a twisted mirror of Lucifer's rebellion, much like Sparda's rebellion was...the Order saw itself as the guardians of Paradise, keeping humans in line...and Nero rebelled against that for the sake of humans, and in a very personal form; for Kyrie. So...I guess, and this is my thought, that DMC4 is a marker of drawing from Paradise Lost more than the divine Comedy. Heck, Sparda's whole Saga is like a version of Paradise Lost, escept that the rebel in this case was fighting for justice and free will instead of his own selfishness.

Sparda™

Dante Redgrave;151813 said:
The only one that doesn't really fit in there is Agnus.

The Agnus Dei ("Lamb of God" in Latin; a traditional title for Jesus Christ) is the fifth part of the Catholic Ordinary of the Mass. It is traditionally sung in Latin.

There you go...

aka958

Don't trust people
that is just confusing... and i never said that the divine comedy is a game. i knew it was something you read from when i heard comedy.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
Oh...well it's an epic poem split into 3 books....i see wat ur saying D.R.....and i do know Nero is the name of an old Roman Caesar...so..maybe they're taking from old religious stories...i noticed that Paradisio and Paradise lost both have Paradise...maybe they're making Paradise lost as a continuation of story from Paradisio...if that's the case, one should be able to tell where the story is heading from the next story of the sequence...if we could figure that out...

Atredus

The Great Destroyer
Also, St. Lucia was said to be Dante Aligierhi's favorite saint as well as his guide in Paradiso.

Dying Angel

If you look on some websites your actually find refrences to diffrent religions and stuff like that so it would not suprise me if DMC is based abit of the divine comedy, but most of the boss's from the games are based from religion,

For an example Agni and Rudra the living blades it says:
In Hinduism, Agni is the god of fire and Rudra is the god of the storm, thought to be an early form of Shiva

If you want to look at more go to:
http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Devil_May_Cry_Wiki

The SSStylish one

Formerly DanteTheDevil
I actually have not read the thing, but know about it... I dunno, i do thing that DMC is based on that thing, but i don't thing that there is enough common in 4th game with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom