• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

My Thoughts on the game (Some SPOILERS ahead)

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
well finally got my hands on DmC and beat it a couple minutes ago. so now I will let you guys in on my thoughts concerning the game.

First let me start out with the pros.

- .Story is definitely better than DMC4, I like how the relationship with Dante and Vergil was fleshed out as them being loving brothers to
Possible enemies should their be a later game. In the original series we never got to see Vergil and Dante during their "brotherly years" so
It was a plus for me to see it here. So over all, I would rate the story as a ok one, but the ending was another matter which I will get into later.

- Unlockables where also good in this game. I like being able to unlock costumes and content within the game and DmC definitely delivered here in that respect.

- The Voice acting was really top notch in this, Dante and Vergil voice actors in particular did a great job at catching the emotions in the scenes.

Now on to the bad cons.

- Admittedly this is just a personal reason and taste, but I honestly just don't like this new Dante's design. I've been a fan of the original series for so long
That I just have a vision of what I expect Dante to be as far as appearance goes, and that appearance includes a devilishly handsome white haired red coat wearing badazz.

- Combat left a lot to be desired in comparison to the previous DMC games. It just isn't as stylish or as fluid as say DMC4 or DMC3. It seems pretty obvious to me that once you
compare the combat to the original games that NT would need to work on it more if it wants to improve it from the high bar DMC4 set with its great gameplay. Granted this does not mean
at all that the combat is bad

- Graphics was another thing that I had a problem with. Considering this game was made years after the previous DMC game I would think that NT would have made it a note to make sure the graphics
where superior or at least comparable to DMC4. Once you compare the 2 its obvious that it was lacking.

- The ending is just something I just did not like one bit. I get that some feel it was intentionally done like that to pave a way for a sequel, but I just dislike open endings like that which just ends
leaving you "hanging" so to speak. Having Vergil and Dante have a battle like that and simply having Vergil just get up and leave and the game ending after a few words between Dante and Kat made me feel as if
The ending could have been done better. I feel it could have been done in a way that made the players feel like they got something out of the story by for example having Vergil give 1 final epic speech to Dante
And then having a flash forward to Dante building his Devil May Cry shop alongside Kat with a new attire and new attitude. Granted the story really hasn't ended until we get our hands on the Vergil DLC that is confirmed
To take place after DmC, but having to pay for the real ending never suited my taste.>_<

- Excessive swearing was another gripe I had with it, now now I know some of you are going to scream "But this is a M rated game, what you expect?" but its not the fact that there is swearing in the game that I have a problem with
Its the fact that so many unneeded F bombs get dropped that I feel like NT is trying to force the whole "edgy" thing on the fans.:/

- Difficulty in comparison to the previous series was lacking, not saying the game is easy but I had a harder time with some of the original games than I did with this one.

Now some of you may be asking "why so many comparisons to DMC4 and the previous entries?", well the thing is, considering this is a reboot and a new beginning to the series I love, of course I am going to compare it to those games, mostly
DMC4 which was also released on the current gen system. For me it would have to be able to stack up or compare to that game in some way to even justify this reboot in the first place and while it does have some things over DMC4 I simply think
the combat and graphics where superior in DMC4.

All that being said here is my rating on the game.

7/10

A ok game that left me entertained, but still a game that in my opinion failed to top the other games in the series (excluding DMC2) and leave a lasting appeal on me as a DMC fan.^_^

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I think it's pretty obvious that they will market the better ending. This is capcom after all.
Vergil's downfall may have a satisfying ending but we still need to pay for it. Well, it's not just the ending we're gonna get but also a new character and all but still......

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I think it's pretty obvious that they will market the better ending. This is capcom after all.
Vergil's downfall may have a satisfying ending but we still need to pay for it. Well, it's not just the ending we're gonna get but also a new character and all but still......

Yea this is Capcom after all lol.^_^

Its just a letdown to get such a ending after paying to play the game.

And now you will have to pay to get the REAL ending which sucks.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Yea this is Capcom after all lol.^_^

Its just a letdown to get such a ending after paying to play the game.

And now you will have to pay to get the REAL ending which sucks.
I thought Vergil DLC was free with preorders?

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Nice to see you had fun with it.

also

This is what I came here for.:troll: Our deal.

Well my opinion on it really didn't change much from the original demo.

It still was a "ok" game that I said even then may leave me entertained, but it simply can't hold a candle to the likes of DMC3 and DMC1 in my opinion.

And as I said earlier, it only tops DMC4 in some areas such as story and unlockables.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I thought Vergil DLC was free with preorders?
It is if you buy from Gamestop/EBGames, Europe's PSN (meaning digital only) and that's pretty much it. I don't know if the PC version will have it from the start or not. Xbox users in Europe I think were screwed over. And Japan's situation I have no idea.

It's $9.99; if you don't know what that is in your money, just google US dollars to ____ money. Still a small chunk to pay for Vergil, gameplay, and probably/possibly the real ending to DmC. The ending of DmC seems like the end of Dante's story of why he's here, his involvement, etc. and it seems to mark the end of the beginning of Vergil's story. So Vergil's Downfall would be like the ending to Vergil's story. Where's the plot line when you need it?

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Still a small chunk to pay for Vergil, gameplay, and probably/possibly the real ending to DmC. ?

Small chunk perhaps, but even if its small I don't like having to pay for the real ending for a game.

this has been done in the past and really needs to stop.

DLC is ok if it adds to the over all experience of the game, but don't handicap the story by releasing the real ending later when it could have been in the game.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Small chunk perhaps, but even if its small I don't like having to pay for the real ending for a game.

this has been done in the past and really needs to stop.

DLC is ok if it adds to the over all experience of the game, but don't handicap the story by releasing the real ending later when it could have been in the game.
Tell that to the publishers/developers in this crap economy. I understand they need to make money, but some of the publishers/developers are really bad when making DLC. Borderlands had an anti-climatic ending; I watched it to see if people were really telling the truth, they were. But the DLC added by Gearbox, except for Moxxi's Underdome, that was okay, were great, and Claptrap's Revolution (don't remember if that's the name) seems to be the real ending to Borderlands. It's sequel seems to continue this trend of good DLC. Bethesda has done it with past Elder Scrolls games and Fallout. Skyrim suffers from PS3 issues (Really? How many years has it been Bethesda? You guys really can't work with this system for the about the whole generation?) and that only two good DLC, in my opinion, Dawnguard and Dragonborn were released. Hearthfire seems unnecessary. Square Enix has fun and optional DLC that doesn't really affect the story that much, maybe some additional lore, but not that important. Others like free costumes DLC are okay as well.

Bad DLC is like - sorry, beating a dead horse here - Capcom's DLC. Except it looks like with DmC, they're going to put more good DLC out over bad. Battlefield 3's and the current Call of Duty's map packs annoy me. Pay about $14.99 for 3-4 maps. If you don't continue to play the game and miss out on more fun. I just don't like how its priced. I mean $59.99 for the game and about 4 times $14.99 for all the DLC, why don't you just make the game $119.99 (I know that's not the real sum, but still) then? In other cases, it's about $79.99 for the game and a season pass for all the DLC. If you miss that then you're going to have to pay about +$100.00. Come on, really?

And this is why I wait for "GOTY" editions of games.

Suzaku18XD

Truth lies before ruin
Always
well finally got my hands on DmC and beat it a couple minutes ago. so now I will let you guys in on my thoughts concerning the game.

First let me start out with the pros.

- .Story is definitely better than DMC4, I like how the relationship with Dante and Vergil was fleshed out as them being loving brothers to
Possible enemies should their be a later game. In the original series we never got to see Vergil and Dante during their "brotherly years" so
It was a plus for me to see it here. So over all, I would rate the story as a ok one, but the ending was another matter which I will get into later.

- Unlockables where also good in this game. I like being able to unlock costumes and content within the game and DmC definitely delivered here in that respect.

- The Voice acting was really top notch in this, Dante and Vergil voice actors in particular did a great job at catching the emotions in the scenes.

Now on to the bad cons.

- Admittedly this is just a personal reason and taste, but I honestly just don't like this new Dante's design. I've been a fan of the original series for so long
That I just have a vision of what I expect Dante to be as far as appearance goes, and that appearance includes a devilishly handsome white haired red coat wearing badazz.

- Combat left a lot to be desired in comparison to the previous DMC games. It just isn't as stylish or as fluid as say DMC4 or DMC3. It seems pretty obvious to me that once you
compare the combat to the original games that NT would need to work on it more if it wants to improve it from the high bar DMC4 set with its great gameplay. Granted this does not mean
at all that the combat is bad

- Graphics was another thing that I had a problem with. Considering this game was made years after the previous DMC game I would think that NT would have made it a note to make sure the graphics
where superior or at least comparable to DMC4. Once you compare the 2 its obvious that it was lacking.

- The ending is just something I just did not like one bit. I get that some feel it was intentionally done like that to pave a way for a sequel, but I just dislike open endings like that which just ends
leaving you "hanging" so to speak. Having Vergil and Dante have a battle like that and simply having Vergil just get up and leave and the game ending after a few words between Dante and Kat made me feel as if
The ending could have been done better. I feel it could have been done in a way that made the players feel like they got something out of the story by for example having Vergil give 1 final epic speech to Dante
And then having a flash forward to Dante building his Devil May Cry shop alongside Kat with a new attire and new attitude. Granted the story really hasn't ended until we get our hands on the Vergil DLC that is confirmed
To take place after DmC, but having to pay for the real ending never suited my taste.>_<

- Excessive swearing was another gripe I had with it, now now I know some of you are going to scream "But this is a M rated game, what you expect?" but its not the fact that there is swearing in the game that I have a problem with
Its the fact that some many unneeded F bombs get dropped that I feel like NT is trying to force the whole "edgy" thing on the fans.:/

- Difficulty in comparison to the previous series was lacking, not saying the game is easy but I had a harder time with some of the original games than I did with this one.

Now some of you may be asking "why so many comparisons to DMC4 and the previous entries?", well the thing is, considering this is a reboot and a new beginning to the series I love, of course I am going to compare it to those games, mostly
DMC4 which was also released on the current gen system. For me it would have to be able to stack up or compare to that game in some way to even justify this reboot in the first place and while it does have some things over DMC4 I simply think
the combat and graphics where superior in DMC4.

All that being said here is my rating on the game.

7/10

A ok game that left me entertained, but still a game that in my opinion failed to top the other games in the series (excluding DMC2) and leave a lasting appeal on me as a DMC fan.^_^
remember its not over yet :) Vergil's Downfall is coming out and it is after the fight so maybe they will show some more :)

vergilthedemonking

I can understand some of your points but not with the graphics man! Jeez the levels in dmc4 were the ones that seemed blunt and plain to me. Tomorrow the pc version is coming out and i've seen some video's and it looks pretty good. Me, however got the game for the ps3 and what was a plus for me was the actual graphics. The levels are fingerlicking juicy. For example the first mission with the hunter or the nightclub level blew me away! Remember the missions in dmc4 in the snow and jungle lol. Well those were boring as hell to be honest. In my opinion, the graphics were one of the better things ingame. But nice overall review

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Remember the missions in dmc4 in the snow and jungle lol. Well those were boring as hell to be honest. In my opinion, the graphics were one of the better things ingame. But nice overall review
Then looked nice in DMC4, but by then almost every game had jungle level, forest level, desert level, snowy place level....you get the idea. I much much prefer levels like the nightclub and the 1st level. There was just so much going on there and it was so bright and colourful.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I can understand some of your points but not with the graphics man! Jeez the levels in dmc4 were the ones that seemed blunt and plain to me. Tomorrow the pc version is coming out and i've seen some video's and it looks pretty good. Me, however got the game for the ps3 and what was a plus for me was the actual graphics. The levels are fingerlicking juicy. For example the first mission with the hunter or the nightclub level blew me away! Remember the missions in dmc4 in the snow and jungle lol. Well those were boring as hell to be honest. In my opinion, the graphics were one of the better things ingame. But nice overall review

thanks.^_^

And It sounds like your more making a comparison to "level design" rather than "graphics" with your comparison to DMC4 and saying the jungle level is "blunt and plain", or you simply would like for it to be more colorful and vibrating like the nightclub level in DmC which is understandable.

But from my perspective the over all graphics in DMC4 where just better.

vergilthedemonking

Then looked nice in DMC4, but by then almost every game had jungle level, forest level, desert level, snowy place level....you get the idea. I much much prefer levels like the nightclub and the 1st level. There was just so much going on there and it was so bright and colourful.
Exactly! And i am pretty sure that a dmc2 will come. I've read somewhere before that it won't take as long for a sequel to come out! Can't wait for more levels like those and my blood gets pumping if i think about the upcoming vergil dlc! And it will take place in hell!!

vergilthedemonking

thanks.^_^

And It sounds like your more making a comparison to "level design" rather than "graphics" with your comparison to DMC4 and saying the jungle level is "blunt and plain", or you simply would like for it to be more colorful and vibrating like the nightclub level in DmC which is understandable.

But from my perspective the over all graphics in DMC4 where just better.
Yeah, i get your point. Might also be because NT worked with the unreal engine. I saw a video somewhere on youtube where they compared the dmc games with the graphics. I think it was IGN's channel

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Yeah, i get your point. Might also be because NT worked with the unreal engine. I saw a video somewhere on youtube where they compared the dmc games with the graphics. I think it was IGN's channel

Yea I heard it may have been due to the unreal engine.

But the graphics in DmC where still great, and I liked some of the scenery like the nightclub level and the Carnival.

Top Bottom