• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"My name is Vergil..."

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
technically both are the original version, something else I remembered is also REGIONAL dialects of latin. Rome likes it's Is instead of Es, and Virgilius was a ROMAN Poet.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
I didn't remember this fact about regions...:| Thank you for telling me!
Ok, I'll have to go check on my Latin books when I get home! What I can recollect from the net is really confusing.
If I try to google "virgilius", it seems to always redirect to "vergilius", but I know that Google is not the most reliable source...
I'll stick to what my books will tell me...^_^
(And still, I say that Virgilius sounds so strange to my ears...:/)

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Some other interesting links that may point us in the right direction:
http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/latinvergil/g/043009Virgil.htm

and this is the link of a catalogue of italian manuscripts:
http://manus.iccu.sbn.it/opac_SchedaAutore.php?ID=58616
It's Publio Virigilio Marone's author file (I used the Italian version because saying that it was Vergil's just made me lol here...), and according to this, Vergilius is the official name, while the Virgilius ones are cited as other forms.

I noticed that, wherever you look, Vergilius is the form that is used by default.
But what I'd like to find, is evidence from an author contemporary to Vergil. I'll let you know, if someone is still interested.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Dante's twin brother... His name is Vergil. But you know that... don't you?
Why do I make a thread about that? Because I see time and time again people writing Virgil instead of Vergil. It's a common mistake, since Vergil is based on The Prophet Virgil from "The Divine Comedy: Dante's Inferno".

But is that the reason why some people spell his name Virgil? Is it because you don't know it is with an e? Sometimes I see the same guy on this forum switch between the two in the same post! Is it just laziness or are you writing too fast so you simply don't notice it?

Yeah, it's kinda the spelling-nazi in me that is peeking its head forth here... I just wonder why there are people who cannot spell Vergil's name correctly.
Reuben Langdon spelled the name Virgil when he did a presentation on the making and development of DMC3. I referred to how the name had been spelled in the manga and in the DMC3 guide as well, I think. Just saying.
Jack made a vid of Virgil's Downfall and I so wanted to lol when one of the top comments was 'it's VERGIL with an E'.
It's like how people started spelling Dante as Donte or Dunte. WTF. I don't like Vergil, so should I just go trolling around and call him Virgil then?
I'm kidding. Veebee would defriend me and kill me in my sleep. ;) (and I have a bit more tact than some)

People will get it wrong from time to time. The only thing you can do is look over it. Otherwise you're going to wind yourself up all the friggin time.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
When I see a Japanese translation of Vergil it usually comes out in the translator to English as "Virgil", probably because the auto translate is assuming reference to Publius Vergilius Maro's moniker "Virgil" in English texts. I see more English spelling of Virgil than Vergil on Japanese and Chinese sites and this might be why.

Virgil is a bastardisation of Vergilius, but is more well-known than 'Vergil' when Virgil's poetry was widely translated into English books, so Virgil is now assumed the 'correct' spelling when referring to Virgil himself. In DMC terms, it has and always will be Vergil - when a fictional character is presented with a particular spelling of a name, and as long as it doesn't change between presentations - I wouldn't refer to them by some more commonly-used spelling, because it simply isn't their name. Their name is what we were given by the creators, even if it was a mistake (like Nelo Angelo)

TheDarkSlayer

Gilver FTW!
Dante's twin brother... His name is Vergil. But you know that... don't you?
Why do I make a thread about that? Because I see time and time again people writing Virgil instead of Vergil. It's a common mistake, since Vergil is based on The Prophet Virgil from "The Divine Comedy: Dante's Inferno".

But is that the reason why some people spell his name Virgil? Is it because you don't know it is with an e? Sometimes I see the same guy on this forum switch between the two in the same post! Is it just laziness or are you writing too fast so you simply don't notice it?

Yeah, it's kinda the spelling-nazi in me that is peeking its head forth here... I just wonder why there are people who cannot spell Vergil's name correctly.

I completely agree with you.

Your signature is really disturbing btw.

Top Bottom