• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mundus or Argosax the Chaos Who is the Devil King?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
This is a question i've always wanted to ask so here I go. Mundus is the prince of the devils and Argosax the Chaos was called "a king of the devils." So was Argosax the Chaos the father of Mundus or was he just a demon who rose to power after Mundus defeat?

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
What always intrigued me was that in his Dispair form Argosax's flesh (if you like) moves in a very similar manor as Mundus' when he is in his true form and on top of that when you kill the Dispair with that final shot he cries out with what sounds like Mundus' voice. But in terms of power Mundus seemed to be in a whole other league so a demon who seems less powerful being the father would seem quite wierd.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
It said that Argosax fought against Sparda (or the demon king, I don't remember which) but it seems to imply that Argosax was the power before Mundus. And it's not that Argosax is weaker, it's that Dante is a lot more powerful due to skill and age.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
It said that Argosax fought against Sparda (or the demon king, I don't remember which) but it seems to imply that Argosax was the power before Mundus. And it's not that Argosax is weaker, it's that Dante is a lot more powerful due to skill and age.

At the time I was just thinking about how before we even fight Mundus for the sake of a little more room he manipulates time and space to teleport the both of you to the middle of space while your standing there. Not to mention his ability to telekinetically wield the forces of nature itself as a weapon against you. He seemed to have the power of a god and although he was strong we didn't see power on that level when we fought Argosax. It was more on par with the Angelo Credo fight.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
That's true. Perhaps Argosax was the ruler before Mundus, and was easily defeated by said Mundus? It could make sense, and it would also explain why Argosax was in a blob form (in DMC, blob usually means overuse of power) and changed to a humanoid form. Furthermore, it would explain why Argosax took the title of King of Demons after Mundus had been killed.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Those are good theories actually. But the puzzling question is from what we know Sparda betrayed the demons while working under Mundus meaning Mundus was the ruler. Yet we know he is called the "prince." So going along with what you guys said perhaps Arogsax the Chaos was ruling the demon world and Mundus who ether rose to Prince hood ether by birth right or some other way dethroned Arogsax the Chaos and became ruler. Sparda betrays Mundus and seals him away. Later maybe Arogsax the Chaos returned (because Mundus was out of the picture) and that's when Sparda sealed him. It's not uncommon in myths for a power to over throne a King. (Perhaps thats the Mundus, Argosax story) But also Berial from DMC4 was called the ruler (or king, I forgot which) of the "Fire Hell." implying that their are different areas (or realms) within the Demon World. Maybe Mundus was ruler of one realm and Argosax the Chaos ruler of a different realm. Interesting no?

RedRose

Kael
But in terms of power Mundus seemed to be in a whole other league so a demon who seems less powerful being the father would seem quite wierd.

not nesicarily, cause many sons surpass fathers often, so it could be entirely plausible, though i thought of something in terms of demon bosses.

in 3 when arkam was in his little "blob" form he looked pretty similar to Mundus as well in his own way. i'm wondering if there's any connection there. what i was thinking is maybe Arkham wasn't completely defeated and maybe Arkham became Mundus and maybe that's why Mundus got ahold of Vergil, i mean they did work together before but Vergil was a little more in control. Maybe the tables turned? Idk it's just something i was thinking about. I know Arkham wasn't a full fleged demon but he was aspiring to become one. maybe after he was "defeated" something hapened that made him become full fleged and aquire a new name. It would make a rather unique kind of demon and maybe one strong enough to become what Mundus became. I mean a demon would have to posess something unique in order to stand out from the rest.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
But also Berial from DMC4 was called the ruler (or king, I forgot which) of the "Fire Hell." implying that their are different areas (or realms) within the Demon World. Maybe Mundus was ruler of one realm and Argosax the Chaos ruler of a different realm. Interesting no?

That could be right. Remember, Mundus was fought in that organic, living Hell. Argosax' Hell was much smaller, and less organic looking. More stone than alive. However, that could have just been his prison.

RedRose

Kael
But also Berial from DMC4 was called the ruler (or king, I forgot which) of the "Fire Hell." implying that their are different areas (or realms) within the Demon World. Maybe Mundus was ruler of one realm and Argosax the Chaos ruler of a different realm. Interesting no?

i think this may be more the case, i mean DMC is also based off of the literature of the Divine comedy, very loosely....rephrase, estremely loosely, but it is all the same which would mean there would most likely be many different levels of hell, purgatory, and even heaven (though i'm curious if DMC will ever get to that point....hmmmm...there's something to think about)

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
True, DMC is losey based on Dante's DC so the different area theory makes sense. Glad 2 know my thoughts make a little sense! ^_^ Also as 4 the heaven thing DMC may have a heaven cuz DNC4 talks about "angels" a lot.

RedRose

Kael
True, DMC is losey based on Dante's DC so the different area theory makes sense. Glad 2 know my thoughts make a little sense! ^_^ Also as 4 the heaven thing DMC may have a heaven cuz DNC4 talks about "angels" a lot.

true, i'm just curious of where they'd go with it. it's an interesting thing to think about...how DMC would enter heaven cause 5 is rather obviously purgatory. it's called the city of limbo for heaven's sake.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
true, i'm just curious of where they'd go with it. it's an interesting thing to think about...how DMC would enter heaven cause 5 is rather obviously purgatory. it's called the city of limbo for heaven's sake.

Maybe they'd do the same thing that Bayonetta did? It's heavily implied that Bayonetta and DMC happen in the same universe, or at least a parallel one.

RedRose

Kael
Maybe they'd do the same thing that Bayonetta did? It's heavily implied that Bayonetta and DMC happen in the same universe, or at least a parallel one.

really? huh unfortunately i still have yet to play bayonetta, financial issues have kept me from videogme shopping. i've always seen them paired together in fanart but i always just thought it was cause they have the same creator

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
really? huh unfortunately i still have yet to play bayonetta, financial issues have kept me from videogme shopping. i've always seen them paired together in fanart but i always just thought it was cause they have the same creator

The person who created the reports of the Angels and such is named Antonio Redgrave, which may be where Dante got his name from, and Bayonetta and Dante both have the same adviser named Enzo. Plus, Bayonetta can summon a demon that is exactly like Phantom except it has no stinger. It even uses lava to attack, and is named Phantasmaranae. Literally "Phantom Spider".

RedRose

Kael
The person who created the reports of the Angels and such is named Antonio Redgrave, which may be where Dante got his name from, and Bayonetta and Dante both have the same adviser named Enzo. Plus, Bayonetta can summon a demon that is exactly like Phantom except it has no stinger. It even uses lava to attack, and is named Phantasmaranae. Literally "Phantom Spider".

okay yeah that's no coincidence. at all. i need to read dante's inferno again cause there is a woman involved with helping dante through paradisio, since vergil helps dante throught purgatorio. and i do believe the womans name does start with a b as well...this isnt a coincidence at all, these two games will meet eventualy.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
The man who created DMC1 made that Bay-something game, hence the similar stuff. And yeah Dante used the name Tony for a while. But That was a cool catch you made about Limbo City and Purgatory for DmC. ^_^ And I agree where they would take a heaven concept would be interesting to see.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami

in the Divine Comedy Limbo is part of Hell not Purgatory, and sometimes names are just names. it could be they just wanted to come up with a name that references the Inferno. after all this is supposed to be the city Dante grew up in. it could be the same city Dante was in during Devil May Cry 3 and the anime. Capcom never named it.

RedRose

Kael
in the Divine Comedy Limbo is part of Hell not Purgatory, and sometimes names are just names. it could be they just wanted to come up with a name that references the Inferno. after all this is supposed to be the city Dante grew up in. it could be the same city Dante was in during Devil May Cry 3 and the anime. Capcom never named it.

true

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I must look that up, and refresh my memory. But with that I guess Argosax the Chaos was a demon king of one realm in the demon world while Mundus another I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom