• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Meg's Guide to Writing

Meg

Well since I'm a prof writing major I thought I'd share some of my profound wisdom of all things letters and words to you would be writers.

That's a load of crap. I just thought this would be fun. Here we go, Meg's Guide to Writing!

Story:

1. Start off simple, stories take time to develop. Don't think you have to make it really complex at the get go. Come up with some cool ideas and flush it out as you go. Planning out a big complex story will make it harder to execute. What I do is come up with point A and B, but how I get from A and B is worked out as I go.

2. Don't worry about cliches. Some of the best stories have basic plot elements in them. The story in Persona 3 is one of the best in games and it deals with themes that have been done many times.

3. Don't build up to something and then rush through to the end. The easiest way to kill a good story is to have all these plans and prep for the final battle/big confrontation and then once the big epic story altering moment comes along it gets summed up in a page. The opposite can also be said. Don't rush to the climax. If your that eager to get to the big shebang then write that part first, then go back to the rising action sequences.

Setting:

1. Where and when a story takes place doesn't have to be anything spectacular. Just don't force the setting and the mythos about that place onto the reader. Example of what NOT to do;

"Pulse l'cie! Cocoon fal'cie! Pulse fal'cie! Cocoon l'cie!!!" Don't do that. Just don't. On a related note. If your world has legends/mythology that effect the plot then let the reader know about these legends.

Characters:

1. Try to stay away from archetype characters. Some writers can make these characters work. Do not assume you are one of them. Be as creative as possible.

2. Mary Sue 101

What is a Mary Sue you ask? Its an overpowered/flawless character that everyone in the story likes. Note: Everyone in the story. Most of the time the author is the only real person that likes a Sue character. Most people are annoyed and put off by them. Trust me. Nothing is more boring than a story about a character that can not fail.

Qualities of a Mary Sue:

A. Master at every type of something. Example: Johnny Sue is the world champion in snowboarding, skate boarding, surfing, skiing, and water polo. Michael Phelps has eight gold medals IN ONE SPORT. He is a great swimmer, not a great everything.

B. Super powerful weapon of sorts. Examples: One hit and you're dead, elemental powers, splits time and space.

C. Doing everything in a story. Whenever something has to get done, Mary Sue does it.

D. Not being able to be defeated.

E. Regeneration/Healing powers.

F. Great personality that everyone likes and is always in the right.

Note that if one of your characters has one or more of these qualities doesn't mean they are automatically a Sue. Each time you create a new character I STRONGLY recommend running it through this test:
http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm

It is a very fair and accurate test. I use it a lot.

Based off of that test these characters are NOT Mary Sues:

Dante, Vergil, Nero (Yay DMC! ^_^)

Based off of that test these characters ARE Mary Sues:

Fang (FFXIII), Edward, Jacob, Bella (Twilight)

Keep these examples in mind.

Sorry about all the Sue info, but its a very important topic to bring up because a Sue can ruin an otherwise good story. Not only that, but most writers fall into this trap at some point. My only advice is to work on your character. You don't have to give your character every cool feature and nick-nac to be cool. Balance is important and will make for a much more compelling character.

EDIT: Anti-Sues are just as bad. Don't make you're character so bad that they become a joke. Unless that's what you wanted. Then....have fun? :lol:

Overall:

1. Do your research. If you want something in your story that you don't know that much about (Say one of your characters is a pilot and you have never flown a plane before) then go on the internet and find out about it.

2. More words doesn't equal better. Don't overkill a part with info and/or descriptions. Don't be Nathaniel Hawthorne I guess is what I'm saying.

3. Proof read. If you're like me then you probably make a look of mistakes. Spell check, google, dictionary. Use them. Get a beta reader if need be.

And last, but not least, the most important thing of all.

4. Don't scoff at someone when they offer you advice because chances are they know more than you.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Wow, thanks. Those were some extremely helpful tips you put up there :) I hope this thread gets stuck, it would be very handy ^^

Meg

Wow thanks guys! :$ I wonder if it will get stickied... I thought this guide would pair nicely with Chloe's Concrit guide.

Meg

Hurray! Chloe and Meg: Making the world of writing better one thread at a time. :lol:

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
I have a tip for writing as well, as it is my choice of career lol....
*When writing Fanfiction don't confuse your characters or suddenly change their personalities to fit the story...if it doesnt work then it doesnt work. For example: If Vergil suddenly starts behaving like Dante....or if (Ouran High School Host Club) Tamaki starts using really big words and speaking convuluted paragraphs where he does not bark orders at the twins ot he starts using medical terms...he is behaving like Kyoya.

Meg

^ Very good point! I'm glad you brought it up. Characters can go a little out of character, but not so much they become another character entirely.

Lerrion

Wild Ranger
I don't agree with Meg about cliches. Don't use them! They make your story be just like billions of others in the mainstream! Be more creative and look at things in alternative way. I don't wanna wish to read yet another fantasy story about elves and dwarfs fighting with orcs (just an example). I simply cannot accept that! How can you eat the same food everyday, have the same thought everyday or use the same exact words every second? If you use cliches - you're not outstanding, you are plain , boring and amateur wannabe writer...

Try to go weird and tribal, like uncle Lovecraft used to do with his unorthodox stories, or like China Mieville, this dude seems to be so good, that I can't find his books in my country anywhere - all bought!

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
Dunno know about this, but this has always been my favorite writing "tip". "Bad writers borrow; good writers steal. <--- That kind of applies to the cliche tip.

Lerrion

Wild Ranger
If you wanna use cliches, go ahead. Just don't feel bad, when nobody remembers your story, because it's made of cliches, an everyday things that the society is used to and doesn't pay much attention to it, like a standard commercial we see on tv - annoying, boring, non-memorable. A good writer is the one who's remembered and acknowledged over time, due to his/her wild, unpredictable stories. This author might be hated, praised or criticized, however - is acknowledged by others. This is our goal as writers - not only to write, but get remembered.

Of course, it's important to write for yourself, that's why I do it when the muse strikes me in the head. In addition I wish to share my writings with people. What's the point if the only reader is you?! I can't stomach it. Once I finish and translate my story, which has absolutely NO connection to the DMC, I will post it here. I can do that right? Post ANY kind of story on these forums? ;-)

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
When I posted that, you're supposed to take it as bad writers use cliches but don't do anything with them, and good writers take cliches and bend them until they're almost unrecognizable. And, besides, every story is going to have a cliche since everything's already been done. If you're trying to think of a completely original story, then you're going to be sitting at your desk until you're dead.

Meg

Henorrhage;271186 said:
When I posted that, you're supposed to take it as bad writers use cliches but don't do anything with them, and good writers take cliches and bend them until they're almost unrecognizable. And, besides, every story is going to have a cliche since everything's already been done. If you're trying to think of a completely original story, then you're going to be sitting at your desk until you're dead.

THANK YOU! That is exactly my point. Glad someone gets it. *claps* :lol:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
We would charge an arm and a leg for a crash course in what NOT to do (and then we'll just throw the Twilight saga at the young writers and tell them to study it) and then we'll charge an extra arm, leg and maybe a head in a full intensive course on how to do things right. ^_^

LOL...veering slightly off topic :lol:
Should we make this thread a place where writers who have questions can come to find answers?

nini dot exe

I think you should complete this with the Anti-Sue. :> The Mary-Sue exact opposite where people are so hell bent at not making a Mary-Sue that they make a character with just about every flaw ever. Those are somewhat amusing. XD;

Meg

nini dot exe;271312 said:
I think you should complete this with the Anti-Sue. :> The Mary-Sue exact opposite where people are so hell bent at not making a Mary-Sue that they make a character with just about every flaw ever. Those are somewhat amusing. XD;

Added that in. Thanks for the tip. ^_^

Top Bottom