• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Mass Effect 2 PS3 review - 93% in GamesMaster

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Mass Effect 2 for PS3 has received a sterling review in the latest issue of GamesMaster.

Issue 234 of the mag arrives on shelves today and gives Bioware's sci-fi RPG shooter 93 per cent, claiming that the PS3 version is the one to get over the Xbox 360 edition.

"Basically, if you've never played Mass Effect before, and you're lucky enough to own both a 360 and a PS3, then this is definitely the version to plump for," GM says.

"You don't miss out on the events of the first game, thanks to the interactive comic, and you've all the extras existing players have had access to.

"Frankly, there's never been a better time to surrender to the frightening pleasures of a future in which you have the power to make a real difference," GamesMaster concludes.

Most importantly, the arrival of Mass Effect 2 on PS3 marks the transition of an Xbox console exclusive to the realms of multi-format.

That means that you can look forward to Mass Effect 3 whether you pledge allegiance to Xbox, PlayStation or PC.

It's just as well, since Bioware has said that the third instalment will be the best yet.

Order GamesMaster here and have it delivered straight to your door.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=281890

Looking good. Finally, PS3 players will be able to experience the greatness of Mass Effect 2. I think I will get it as to see which version is better. Xbox 360 version or PS3 version.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Id hope the PS3 version as they have used a new engine on it and included all the DLC with it and had a year of bug fixing and polishing on it. At least PS3 players can experience one of the best games of the year finally and not merely slate it because it was on a console they didnt have.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;295756 said:
Id hope the PS3 version as they have used a new engine on it and included all the DLC with it and had a year of bug fixing and polishing on it. At least PS3 players can experience one of the best games of the year finally and not merely slate it because it was on a console they didnt have.

If I am not mistaken, BioWare said that they used Mass Effect 3 engine for the PS3 version for Mass Effect 2. Kinda curious on how Mass Effect 3 for PS3 will be.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;295768 said:
If I am not mistaken, BioWare said that they used Mass Effect 3 engine for the PS3 version for Mass Effect 2. Kinda curious on how Mass Effect 3 for PS3 will be.

Yeah which is good news as at least PS3 owners dont have to worry about any technical issues as it was designed with PC and 360 in mind and designed on those platforms so its good they already have it running on PS3 too. Goes to show that developers who arent lazy and take the time to work on all platforms can do a good job on all platforms. Any ports that go between platforms that have noticeable issues on one is usually down to the developers not putting enough time into the port.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;295770 said:
Yeah which is good news as at least PS3 owners dont have to worry about any technical issues as it was designed with PC and 360 in mind and designed on those platforms so its good they already have it running on PS3 too. Goes to show that developers who arent lazy and take the time to work on all platforms can do a good job on all platforms. Any ports that go between platforms that have noticeable issues on one is usually down to the developers not putting enough time into the port.

I agree. I seen some comparisons of different sites, and most of it said that the PS3 demo version is as good as the Xbox 360 version, if not, even better.

Only LensOfTruth has different opinion about the PS3 demo of the game, and said that it is worse than the Xbox 360 version.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;295807 said:
I agree. I seen some comparisons of different sites, and most of it said that the PS3 demo version is as good as the Xbox 360 version, if not, even better.

Only LensOfTruth has different opinion about the PS3 demo of the game, and said that it is worse than the Xbox 360 version.

Opinions may vary but by all rights the PS3 version is an updated and improved 360 version with a years worth of bug fixing and testing in it. So its like Mass Effect 2.1. I dont know how it runs but they should have managed to get it running well after 12 months.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;295845 said:
Opinions may vary but by all rights the PS3 version is an updated and improved 360 version with a years worth of bug fixing and testing in it. So its like Mass Effect 2.1. I dont know how it runs but they should have managed to get it running well after 12 months.

I agree. The only huge drawback for the Mass Effect 2 for PS3 would be no save file to load from the first Mass Effect, as the game is an exclusive to Microsoft.

Although the interactive comic for the Mass Effect is included, it still does not beat the experience of loading the file from the first game. I heard the comic titled as Mass Effect Genesis, where you can make some key decisions for the Mass Effect 1 events that will shape up Mass Effect 2's events for the PS3.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;295850 said:
I agree. The only huge drawback for the Mass Effect 2 for PS3 would be no save file to load from the first Mass Effect, as the game is an exclusive to Microsoft.

Although the interactive comic for the Mass Effect is included, it still does not beat the experience of loading the file from the first game. I heard the comic titled as Mass Effect Genesis, where you can make some key decisions for the Mass Effect 1 events that will shape up Mass Effect 2's events for the PS3.

Yeah id agree with that but guess its better than nothing because the default choices you got if you didnt load a ME1 save werent very good.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;295862 said:
Yeah id agree with that but guess its better than nothing because the default choices you got if you didnt load a ME1 save werent very good.

Yeah. On the other hand, the PS3 version has some of the DLC included in the game. Too bad we as PS3 players can't get the first Mass Effect.

Another positive review from PSM3:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=282351

Apparently, the review said that PS3 players will not miss out Mass Effect 1 experience due to the interactive comic, Mass Effect: Genesis. Interesting.

EDIT: Just found the major decisions needed in Mass Effect: Genesis from Mass Effect wikia.
* Should the Rachni Queen on Noveria be freed or destroyed?
* What is the fate of Urdnot Wrex on Virmire?
* Who is sacrificed on Virmire, Ashley Williams or Kaidan Alenko?
* Who became Shepard's love interest?
* What happens to the Citadel Council during the Battle of the Citadel?

Pretty much summerises the main events of the first game, except one or two major ones, like the mission at Feros.

Top Bottom