• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Machinima Bribing Youtubers

The Final Offer

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01...ying-youtubers-for-positive-xbox-one-coverage

"The promotion, outlined in what appear to be leaked emails to popular Machinima personalities and a since deleted Tweet from Machinima's UK community manager, offered video content producers an additional $3 CPM ($3 per thousand video views) for posting videos including at least 30 seconds of Xbox One gameplay footage in the first two minutes, and a verbal mention that the console was being played. It was also stipulated that producers tag their videos 'XB1M13' and post between 3 AM ET, January 13 and 2:59 AM ET, February 10 to be eligible for payment."

Your thoughts.

The Final Offer

Apparently, EA does it too.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/21/ea-also-reportedly-paying-youtube-channels-for-coverage

I wouldn't be surprised if they all did it in some way or form. That's what business is like these days. I wouldn't mind so long as it had some kind of disclaimer about the videos being paid content or sponsored though.

I'm up in arms with it Loopy.

Misleading people and completely blindsiding them with a product you know is trash is a terrible idea. If the console sucks then try as hard as you possibly can with feedback to make it better.

The things they are doing are con artist methods.

They are practically giving you the medication and not telling you of the side effects.
prison-cell-phone-bribery.jpg

"Forget about those losers. You keep your mouth shut about how trash this thing is and everyone from you to me goes home happy."

The Final Offer

You could see AngryJoe sponsored by Machinima, Microsoft, Sony. The problem would be he or anyone else couldn't give a harsh review of a title produced by the sponsor.

Which would make them unreliable and therefore useless. They'd be killing themselves if they signed up.

Giving everything a 10/10 would light up the comment section. People would unsubscribe and your reputation would be destroyed. If the gaming companies want to pull the plug on Youtubers for reviewing their product then that company's reputation would be ruined and thus significant damage would occur and said studios would be demolished in favor of iOS games.

My point is, if you make a crappy game, that was your fault. Don't try to avoid punishment.

Now they've (the companies) dug themselves into a predicament. Maybe that same one aforementioned. Their reputations will be tarnished as well as any beliefs of their games being legit in review scores. With decreasing sales titles they hold the license to would fall from their grasp and be placed into more suitable hands.

So as a gamer which route would you think I'd take?

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
If they do this, then they do this. At least we're aware this is going on, so we can be more critical towards reviews. Failing that, voting with the wallet would give companies a good indication of how consumers feel.

Besides, whatever happened to playing a demo or trying out the console in store to make our minds up without magazines and videos telling us what to think?:cautious:

The Final Offer

If they do this, then they do this. At least we're aware this is going on, so we can be more critical towards reviews. Failing that, voting with the wallet would give companies a good indication of how consumers feel.

Besides, whatever happened to playing a demo or trying out the console in store to make our minds up without magazines and videos telling us what to think?:cautious:

Demos take time and the exclusive people want to play are usually not in the deck. It's some bogus games like Rayman or Kirby.

Here's the sexy part Loopy.

They're trying to destroy the foundation of credible reviews altogether. You get us doubting reviewers and people start making claims that they're paid off because the reviews are too good.

Oh this is a nice plan and yet the only repercussion is that gamers would have to decide for ourselves through "Let's Play" videos. Eliminating all reviewers credibility. Interesting.

The Final Offer

Yup
Machinima's credibility would be damaged, any news of microsoft would be seen as tainted, Metric if honest would disregard any review from them whatsoever.
If true Machinima just killed their reputation & is going to try like crazy to spin this.
Microsoft is going to look weak & in need of fixing a fight to stay relevant.

Youtube users suspected of taking bribes i can see any & all those filing ID claims against them now.

I stay away from Eventstatus.

The Final Offer

It seems these Let's Play videos are where it's at. You watch and you decide.

I decided to get DR 3 because of a Let's Play. I didn't like it for the way it played. But, I did like the game for what it was trying to do. In short, I saw a long preview and acted on it. I was influenced without someone trying to convince me.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I heard this from Boogie too and now Machinima's recent videos are now flooded of comments by this whole thing. I don't know if this is really true or not but it's sad because i enjoy Machinima especially their All Your History segment and the two bestfriends.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Its not uncommon and many sponsorships start this way, Microsoft issued a statement on this earlier and have said that there will always be disclaimers in videos in future should someone have been endorsing/promoting their products for cash incentives. Those disclaimers by rights should have always been apparent and wrong of companies to not make it clear so that will change in future.

"This partnership between Machinima and Microsoft was a typical marketing partnership to promote Xbox One in December. The Xbox team does not review any specific content or provide feedback on content. Any confidentiality provisions, terms or other guidelines are standard documents provided by Machinima. For clarity, confidentiality relates to the agreements themselves, not the existence of the promotion."

"Under the deal, video producers would receive an extra $3 per thousand views, as long as they made a video that used Xbox One footage, was at least 30 seconds long and mentioned the console by name. The program was capped at 1.25 million total views, so the maximum combined payout was $3,750."

You could see AngryJoe sponsored by Machinima, Microsoft, Sony. The problem would be he or anyone else couldn't give a harsh review of a title produced by the sponsor.

Either give a positive review or we reserve the right to not sponsor you anymore.
A catch 22.

He could but they wouldnt pay him for that video, I mean I wouldnt pay someone to talk bad about me/the forums either. He wouldnt be barred from talking bad about a product just not likely to get any revenue from that particular company for it which is pretty understandable in grand scheme of things. If they are sponsoring you I guess some companies could retract sponsorship if you badmouth them etc but thats like being sacked from your job for talking negatively about them on social media (happened to plenty of people I know). Pointing out negatives in a review is a little different than just outright speaking badly about something so most companies wouldnt drop someone for that.

That said I wouldnt want people to feel swayed towards being overly positive about something for fear of losing their sponsorship, should be allowed to speak freely always.

Top Bottom