• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Limbo City?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

The name of the new city in DMC5 is well... Limbo City right?

This is taken from the Wikipedia article about Limbo:

In the theology of the Catholic Church, Limbo (Latin limbus, edge or boundary, referring to the "edge" of Hell) is a speculative idea about the afterlife condition of those who die in original sin without being assigned to the Hell of the damned. Limbo is not an official doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church or any other. Medieval theologians described the underworld ("hell", "hades", "infernum") as divided into four distinct parts: hell of the damned (which some call Gehenna), Purgatory, limbo of the fathers, and limbo of infants.

Has anyone else pointed this out yet? :/

aka958

Don't trust people
Wolf;274577 said:
The name of the new city in DMC5 is well... Limbo City right?

This is taken from the Wikipedia article about Limbo:

In the theology of the Catholic Church, Limbo (Latin limbus, edge or boundary, referring to the "edge" of Hell) is a speculative idea about the afterlife condition of those who die in original sin without being assigned to the Hell of the damned. Limbo is not an official doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church or any other. Medieval theologians described the underworld ("hell", "hades", "infernum") as divided into four distinct parts: hell of the damned (which some call Gehenna), Purgatory, limbo of the fathers, and limbo of infants.

Has anyone else pointed this out yet? :/

Limbo is the name of one of the seven layers of hell in The Divine Comedy. That pretty much sums it up I think, since most of the original Devil May Cry had stuff taken from The Divine Comedy aswell. That's one thing they could keep at least. :p

Asmodaius

The Devil May Cry series have always used Biblical and mythological terms, many from the Divine Comedy, as mentioned above. This is no surprise.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Perhaps its something Capcom came up with that describes the other series... on hold... in Limbo

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think it refers to the state of "in-between". As in, Limbo between life and death, or light and darkness.

They did say that the line between good and bad is blurred in this new world. I think Limbo refers to being between good and bad, in this case.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I thought I heard somewhere the game is set 'in Purgatory'. But that can't be, can it? Unless this reboot wants to change the Devil May Cry world itself to a young Dante in literal limbo/Hell?

Chrysander

I assumed it was to do with "the limbo". You know, where you bend over backwards as far as you can, to get as low as possible without falling over. That seems like what they're doing with this new game, high five.

moseslmpg

It isn't literal. I don't think Limbo has a train station and a gym.

Chrys: The limbo is what some fans are doing to justify this game as DMC :p

Awesome

Chrysander;275080 said:
I assumed it was to do with "the limbo". You know, where you bend over backwards as far as you can, to get as low as possible without falling over. That seems like what they're doing with this new game, high five.

High five.

Acedia

Dante Never Dies
Chrysander;275080 said:

High Five.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
A lot of places in Devil May Cry reminds of me of places in the real world
such: the city in DMC3= any major city in America
Fortuna=Italy
The place in DMC2= France
so limbo city reminds me of Britian

Asmodaius

I actually think that the city looks like a gothic european city, but so has it in all the previous games. It's never looked like New York to me or any other American city I have seen. The buildings have always looked inspired by gothic, victorian style with a hint of modern architecture.

I'm thinking the movie Underworld and how the city is depicted in that movie, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom