• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's talk about sex/gender/sexuality

Here's a fun question! What sexual orientation do you identify as?

• Pansexual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bisexual

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Heterosexual

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Homosexual

• Asexual

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Demisexual

• Other

• I have no idea! o_O

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Meg

Okay, this was brought up in another thread, so I'm making a new one here.

Let's talk about sex, gender, and sexuality. First, some definitions! :D

Sex- biological stuff (male vs. female vs. intersex) Your sex is what you are born with.
Gender- Socially constructed. (masculine vs. feminine vs. androgynous vs. whatever you want)
Sexual orientation- who you are attracted to sexually (hetero, homo, bi, pan, ace, etc.) Not a choice.
Romantic orientation- who you are attracted to romantically (hetero, homo, bi, pan, ace, etc.) Also not a choice.

Okay, so now all that boring stuff is out of the way. Let's all talk about it. Would you like to talk about your own sex/gender/sexual orientation? Go ahead! Wanna ask about the topic(s) in general? That's good too! :D

Reminder:

DO NOT INSULT OR BELITTLE ANY SEX/GENDER/SEXUAL ORIENTATION OR THE PEOPLE WHO IDENTIFY AS SUCH.

Use common sense people.

-----

I guess I can start. I'm a biological woman who identifies as a woman. I also identify as hetero-romantic asexual. Meaning, I am romantically attracted to men, but sexually attracted to no one.

Your turn! :D

ZeroLove

Well, I am born a guy and consider myself one all the way. I could be considered to be bisexual, as I get turned on by both women and men, though I tend to lean more towards sexing other guys, but it shifts from time to time. I've had relationships with both men and women, but my more serious and longterm relationships have mostly been with men. I just get along with other guys better, I guess. And it's more fun. ;)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I'm not sure a person's own personal gender perception is a choice, either... I don't imagine anyone chooses to feel uncomfortable in their skin or gender role, for example. You can choose to think of yourself as whatever you like as well, but I think it belongs with sexuality and orientation when it isn't a choice but an unconscious compulsion.

Dr. John Money's theories that you can bring a child up to be either gender ("as long as you do it early enough") because the human brain's sexuality/gender identity are (according to him) malleable in childhood, doesn't hold water to me, because some of his intersex or emasculated subjects decided to convert themselves back into their original gender when they grew up, even with a lifetime of nurture pressure on them to be the opposite. I used to believe myself that men and women were practically the same on a basic level in the brain and that that gender is interchangeable if the person wants or believes it to be, but that doesn't explain a lot of cases where people are born something (or not something) and do not accept or adapt to what society has decided they 'are', or even what they might have thought they were. I guess it's a bit of both - I don't believe gender is as fixed as people claim, but at the same time, you may not know what you "are" sometimes, but you can usually be sure of what you are *not*. In other words, I agree with Money that much of what we call gender is 'learned' or forced on us and not our own decision, but I disagree that there isn't an innate element to gender that is simply there, within ourselves and the brain, that may well be independent of the genitalia you have. After all, you only have that genitalia because you got pot luck of sperm X or Y complimenting your other X. I really don't think we choose what we feel comfortable with, it simply gels with our innate indentities if it's correct, if not, it jars.

Just a thought on the term gender, and what we usually take it to mean.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
As for me, I pilot a female body.^_^

I like shopping, cute things, sometimes pink, but from an early age I was brought up with Batman and other comic superheroes, pretend repair kits (like a builders), as well as Barbie dolls. I was encouraged to play with whatever regardless of it being stereotypically male or female gender toy. My parents just encouraged whatever hobbies I liked and din't think about what gender it traditionally belonged to.

As an adult, I guess I identify with different aspects of male and female gender ranging from hobbies, mannerisms, sports I play, sense of humour and clothes I wear (my closet looks like different people put their clothes there as there are so many styles:lol:) I like to hang out with guys because we have more hobbies in common and matching sense of humour, but other times I like to go to a nice cafe with female friends or do some clothes shopping. I guess maybe I'm both when it comes to socially constructed gender.

Sexually, I'm not sure. I can think a female has cool style, or really like the 'aura' from them, like confidence and personality and it makes me want to hang around with them, but I don't think I'd ever have that kind of sexual relationship with a woman.
As for men, they don't interest me at all like that. The rational side of me always stops me going too far. Maybe because there's always that worry in my mind of -you know- 'an accident' happening. Plus I've never felt any need to be with a man like that. It just does nothing for me. So maybe I'm asexual?

Romantically I think I would have to say either. So long as nothing sexual was involved. I guess if I click with a person, then that's that. I put more emphasis on what we have in common, personality, the emotional connection or the 'aura' a person has. Like a feminine looking woman, but she has a manly aura. Not sure how to explain that.:/

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Sex: Male.
Sexual Orientation: It's difficult to say really, I've had my share of relationships in the past with members of the opposite sex, even enjoyed it at times, but for longer than I'd care to mention I've had precisely no desire to engage in any sort of relationship, romantic or sexual, with anybody.

Actually I'd probably call it more than a lack of desire, I'm more or less flat out repulsed by the idea of getting it on with anybody, so take that how you will.
I guess technically Asexual then? Depends on your point of view, I don't recall actively choosing the orientation, it just sort of...Happened, if that counts?

Romantic Orientation: I guess here I'm all about the heterosexuality (bromances not withstanding), I've always been a fairly romantic individual, I'll do dates, go to great lengths to show women a good time and so on, I'll do what I can to ensure that women enjoy their time with me and I'm quite gentlemanly in that respect, I'm just not interested in the other side of it, at all.

God knows why I talk about this sort of thing, guess I just like getting into the deeper discussions.

Meg

snip for space
Great post! :D

There's just one thing. You don't choose a sexual orientation. No one does. Scientists have done great work in confirming this. It has nothing to do with environment, morals, or anything else. It's something that develops at a very young age and is pretty much set in stone after that. I say "pretty much" because it can be fluid for some people. I know people who went their whole life only ever being attracted to men, but then one day fell in love with a woman. After that they never were attracted to someone that wasn't a guy ever again. But that's more the rare exception to every rule.

I bring this up because as an asexual personal, it's a pet peeve of mine for people to say "I became asexual because" or "I should just be asexual" because it isn't a choice. I didn't choose this. No one chooses it. If you were originally (hetero?)sexual up until a traumatic experience and then lost your sexual attraction and/or sex drive, then that's not being asexual. Asexuals have always, since the time they were born, had a lack of sexual attraction/drive. What you're describing is a psychological block. Not asexuality.

And, keep in mind, while it doesn't offend me, saying things like "I became asexual" or "sexuality is a choice" can seriously offend people. Which I figure you know, 'cause u is smrt, but it bares repeating for the sake of the thread as a whole.

God knows why I talk about this sort of thing, guess I just like getting into the deeper discussions.
You're just overcome with so much joy to see me posting again that you HAD to contribute. :shifty:

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
If you were originally (hetero?)sexual up until a traumatic experience and then lost your sexual attraction and/or sex drive, then that's not being asexual. Asexuals have always, since the time they were born, had a lack of sexual attraction/drive. What you're describing is a psychological block. Not asexuality.

You're just overcome with so much joy to see me posting again that you HAD to contribute. :shifty:

On that note, I can honestly say I haven't experienced anything traumatic that put me in that mindset, I know well enough the causes of mental/psychological blocks and I honestly can't think of any cause that would have made this the case.
Yet without any feeling of sexual desire towards either sex, I'm not entirely sure I could still call myself heterosexual either, even if at one point I was.
I feel like there's a bit of a grey area in classifying sexual orientation, sure, I disagree fairly strongly with the mindset that you can choose your orientation, but if there's no psychological cause for a mental block towards sexual intimacy, then it's pretty clearly not a choice either and all you're left with is, well, asexuality, just not from birth. Unless you want to go down the road of implying other mental issues, but that sort of catch-all classification ends up railroading people into the same sort of camp as those that say/said homosexuality is a straight up mental disorder.

Or at least, that's how I feel about it.

Too right, Meg's back, aww ye.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I feel like there's a bit of a grey area in classifying sexual orientation, sure, I disagree fairly strongly with the mindset that you can choose your orientation, but if there's no psychological cause for a mental block towards sexual intimacy, then it's pretty clearly not a choice either and all you're left with is, well, asexuality, just not from birth. Unless you want to go down the road of implying other mental issues, but that sort of catch-all classification ends up railroading people into the same sort of camp as those that say/said homosexuality is a straight up mental disorder.
Or at least, that's how I feel about it.

Too right, Meg's back, aww ye.
Could it be a bit of both? Like you're born that way, but try to go along with what society says is normal for a while, then something happens that makes you go to your true feelings? :/
Or that they were born liking the same sex or asexual, lived a hetrosexual lie to try and fit in, but couldn't do it anymore so they came out?

I agree that trying to say that sexuality said to be 'deviant' from the norm should not under any circumstance be associated with, or called a mental disorder. Wasn't long ago that homosexuals, lesbians, well anone not seen as normal sexuality were sent to asylums and hospitals for 'corrective treatment' because they thought the people were crazy or that it was an illness they could be cured of.

At least these days the West society is slowly changing and trying to understand differences in sexuality and gender and gender identity. Sadly other parts of the world still think 'corrective rape' cures a lady of being a lesbian- sick:(

Just watching a documentry right now about people who like objects, like in a romantic way. The overall view on the program is that these people are happy, so why judge them just because they don't want to be romantic with a human. Got to agree, so long as someone isn't hurting someone else and they are happy, then let them be. ^_^ Live and let live.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
What *genuinely* sexually attracts you is definitely not something you choose. It's a biological or physiological response beyond your control. If I could choose what I find attractive or what gets that response, there's a bunch of stuff I'd ditch, probably all of it in fact, because attraction is a pain in the ass and I don't like the chemicals milling around when you're high on it.

But I can't selectively erase things from my brain that get responses. Instead, I avoid things I don't want to trigger that response. It really is out of my hands and my choice - the only choice I have is how I live my life, or how involved I allow myself to get. But I cannot choose what causes that attraction.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
What GENUINELY sexually attracts you is definitely not something you choose. It's a biological or physiological response beyond your control. If I could choose what I find attractive or what gets that response, there's a bunch of stuff I'd ditch, probably all of it in fact, because attraction is a pain in the ass. But I can't selectively erase things from my brain that get responses. Instead, I avoid things I don't want to trigger that response. It really is out of my hands and my choice - the only choice I have is how I live my life, or how involved I allow myself to get. But I cannot choose.
Like a case of physically able to respond in a sexual way, but the mind is not bothered or can easily ignore the sexual physical responses?

Something else interesting.
I read women on forums saying how their body responds to the husband, but their mind is not in it, and as such they are put off sex. Or they do it for the sake of it but are resentful after. I do find that with women there is a mind aspect to it. Many women just can't have sex suddenly and be expected to like it.

Also that women can be married to men and have children, but then they leave for a woman. So did they always like women and lived a lie, or does something happen that changes them? I think maybe again, a combination of both? I've read accounts where women said they loved their husbands, but when they found a lady they reall liked, the connection was more intense emotionally and they realised their husband could not do the same thing. It must be very confusing for a man when his wife or partner leaves for another lady. But it can't be helped, right? It's a shame people are coerced into situations that are not being true to themselves. It would save a lot of upset for all sides involved.

Like people coming out after years and years trying to cover it up because the family would be upset; or people coming out after parents died because fear of what would be said was so great. Same with people who are tansgender or even transvestites being worried about reaction. It is a shame that people can't just be themselves when it's not hurting others.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Like a case of physically able to respond in a sexual way, but the mind is not bothered or can easily ignore the sexual physical responses?

I guess I mean more that you can be aware something or someone turns you on and have no control over the fact that it does. You can run away, ignore it, try to force yourself to unlike it, whichever... but your body responded automatically at the sight or presence, rather than you and your mind making a conscious decision that it digs it. Like... I have never made a conscious decision to be sexually attracted to anyone, ever. Those decisions are made by some other part of my head than the bit where I'm working the controls. I just suddenly become aware that they interest me, or that my chemicals are about to dance all over my sanity again.

Something else interesting.
I read women on forums saying how their body responds to the husband, but their mind is not in it, and as such they are put off sex. Or they do it for the sake of it but are resentful after. I do find that with women there is a mind aspect to it. Many women just can't have sex suddenly and be expected to like it.

Yeah, I think it's the case for some people. I would fit into the category that if I'm not turned on first, forget it, sex is not worth it without the attraction or the romance or something else there. I just don't have enough interest in sex to chase it for its own sake. A lot of people do, but I'm not one of those so I agree with this. If sex is like a drug that some people will do anything for, it's a drug that doesn't work on me and I don't understand how anyone could spend a lot of time and effort trying to get it. If it's with someone you are crazy for, it's amazing. If you're not that bothered about them, it seems kind of pointless IMO, and for a female with a guy who doesn't make an effort for her, can just be unpleasant I guess. Guys usually have it easier in getting pleasure from it I'd say, so some might fail to see why she doesn't just love it as much/easily as they do, and that can bring its own problems.

Also that women can be married to men and have children, but then they leave for a woman. So did they always like women and lived a lie, or does something happen that changes them? I think maybe again, a combination of both? I've read accounts where women said they loved their husbands, but when they found a lady they reall liked, the connection was more intense emotionally and they realised their husband could not do the same thing. It must be very confusing for a man when his wife or partner leaves for another lady. But it can't be helped, right? It's a shame people are coerced into situations that are not being true to themselves. It would save a lot of upset for all sides involved.

I think because we're raised by TV and movies and pop culture influences and our friends as much as we are by our family, we accept the heteronormative as kids because kids usually accept the order that's around them and don't question it until they start to grow up (and some realize they are 'different' from what they have been told is 'normal'). But then, the same could be said if the woman met another man who blew her mind, and she left her husband for - it could be anyone. You just don't know until you meet that 'someone' who or what they will be, or if you ever do... I don't think it's the gender of the person but the connection that trumps the husband there (unless she was just experimenting or going wild or something. But if she truly was "the one" then, she was, and as I said before whether you find the 'one' isn't much of a conscious choice either...) So we don't 'know' we're one thing or another until we discover something doesn't feel right - we all assume we are straight cis-gendered individuals at first, if that's how we're raised and we don't know any different until we either detect we are unhappy, or else find that something different is way better than what we thought was right.

Like people coming out after years and years trying to cover it up because the family would be upset; or people coming out after parents died because fear of what would be said was so great. Same with people who are tansgender or even transvestites being worried about reaction. It is a shame that people can't just be themselves when it's not hurting others.
Sometimes if you don't encounter much friction or notice in your life for it, like me, there's not much cause to talk about or care if you're gay or trans or whatever. I recently told a few people about it in my case, and they were like, "why didn't you say something before?" and seemed to think the fact I never had was weird, when in fact I'd just never been in a conversation where it felt natural or necessary bringing it up. I mentioned some of this type of stuff in passing to my mother recently and she didn't care about it either (not just in the sense she didn't mind but couldn't be bothered to carry on talking about it) so I assume it probably isn't that important to anybody but the person themselves most of the time (or else she genuinely doesn't care). I guess there are as many reasons as there are people and they're all personal and unique to them. But yeah, sad when something prevents people from just getting it in the open if they need to, or if their parents would throw them out in the street for not being the child they wanted, and things like that.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Great post! :D

There's just one thing. You don't choose a sexual orientation. No one does. Scientists have done great work in confirming this. It has nothing to do with environment, morals, or anything else. It's something that develops at a very young age and is pretty much set in stone after that. I say "pretty much" because it can be fluid for some people. I know people who went their whole life only ever being attracted to men, but then one day fell in love with a woman. After that they never were attracted to someone that wasn't a guy ever again. But that's more the rare exception to every rule.
*censored*

Meg

snip for space
From what you said, it sounds like you're are describing demisexuality. All that means is you don't develop sexual attraction for someone until you've known them and been in a romantic relationship with them for a long time. You can label yourself however you want, but from what I understand, demisexual is a good word to describe what you are saying. :)

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
From what you said, it sounds like you're are describing demisexuality. All that means is you don't develop sexual attraction for someone until you've known them and been in a romantic relationship with them for a long time. You can label yourself however you want, but from what I understand, demisexual is a good word to describe what you are saying. :)
Oh.....boo, I can't change my vote :s
Well that makes sense.

Reactions: Meg

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
See, a lot of people see sex as a necessity to make a relationship work. I don't. I never did. I've preached to my friends so many times not to jump in bed with the next bloke that hooks up with them, but then they do and all I can think is Why? It's disgusting. Why can't you be more civil? Why do you have to bang on the first date? Or the second, or third even? I don't get it, I just don't understand this sexual attraction thing. To me it doesn't matter. This hard to explain without divulging some private details, which I'd rather not, but when I say sex is nothing to me (unless I want another kid), I really do mean I'm indifferent to it.

Except if some guy other than my hubby hits on me. I can't explain how sick it makes me feel.
Totally agreeing with this.For me, I don't understand why such an emphasis is placed on sex in a realtionship. Sex isn't going to keep a relationship together; there also needs to be a connection, romatic love and getting to know each other and find out what they're about.

As for me, never wanted sex, never had it. The idea of it doesn't do anything for me, and guys don't understand how I couldn't want sex. I've had all sorts of stupid lines, chat up, saying how beautiful I am and I'm sure it's just to get sex.I don't think they want me for me, just how I look. Maybe that's part of the reason....I've always been aware of how guys are around me because of how I look. But looks aren't everything. I could be some evil cow for all they know.>_< Plus, I never want to have an 'accident' and 'ruin my life' as I've been told countless times in my life. Maybe that's also part of the reason?:/

Even the guys I'm friends with are surprised, but they say they respect my choice. At least that's something.^_^

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Sex: Male
Sexual Orientation: I put down bisexual, but I'm very... Picky when it comes to guys. So on a scale of bisexuality, with 1 being completely hetero and 10 being totally homo, I'd probably be around a 2 or 3.

It tends to help if the guy I'm looking at (it's mostly artwork that I like, normal everyday people seem to turn me off) is not human. ._.

YES I'M A SCALY/FURRY SCREW ALL YOU PEOPLE I DO WHAT I WANT! *RAAAAAWRRR*

Romantic Orientation: Again, bisexual. Though again I must stress that I'm pretty picky when it comes to guys.

...So. This must've come as a shock, eh Meg? I've always been an odd person, exhibiting both masculine and feminine traits with no real emphasis on either... I guess that would either make me androgynous or a... Mental hermaphrodite? I have no clue. I'm confusing myself just talking about this.

Also: Thank GOD I just turned 18, or this thread would be totally illegal for me. XD

V

Oldschool DMC fan
It's cool to see there are some members who don't subscribe to the "SEX IS AWESOME, IF YOU DON'T AGREE YOU'RE [DOING IT] WRONG" mantra. I get tired of hearing that, or of being considered weird because I don't think sex is that important. Like Boy George said, "I'd rather have a cup of tea"

I can understand young people being obsessed with it if they have never done it, pop culture/media tells us that perfect romance and perfect sex is the goal we should all be trying to achieve or we're going to die sad losers, but loads of adults still say it. I'd hate to be so oversexed it was my reason for living and I thought about it every 10 minutes, or was completely miserable without it. What a debilitation.

I don't say that because I'm single and envious either, as I'm not and have a caring other half, I just find it kind of an obnoxious attitude and it's everywhere.

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
I was born a oven.
I'm an oven, no gender.
Bi, I guess you could say I like to heat things up ;) because I'm an oven.
Alright, I'm kidding. I'll go regularly now.
I was born a male, pilot a male body.
Orientation? Bi.
I honestly just don't find sex appealing, sure I'm young of course but I'm not like every horny teenager you see now today trying to have sex the fastest they can...
there's actually a pretty long story as to why I don't care about sex, but that's a bit private. no it doesn't have anything to do with me being Bi.
Although I do favor females more than males in that department...unless it's David Tennant..ohgodyus.
To me though, all humans are beautiful..there is no such thing as an ordinary human being....unless you are in the South and live in USA..you better run.

Top Bottom