• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

L.A. Noire causes console problems

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
So, I've noticed that a few of you are playing it... I'd like it... but I've just found this, anyone experienced this problem?

L.A. Noire ‘not to blame for PS3 overheating’ say Sony and Rockstar
After Rockstar first blamed Sony's software for some PlayStation 3's overheating while playing L.A. Noire, and then Sony blamed Rockstar, the two companies have now joined forces to say that neither of them are to blame.

The two companies decided to put the blame game behind them after firing shots at each other over who was at fault for the reports (from a small minority of users) that playing L.A. Noire was causing their consoles to overheat or shut down.
Instead, they issued a joint statement saying that, as far as they could tell, nobody was to blame for it.
'We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3s overheating or shutting down while playing L.A. Noire,' wrote Sony's head of comms Nick Caplin on the PlayStation Blog.
He continued: 'At this time, Rockstar Games and Sony can confirm that neither L.A. Noire or firmware update 3.61 are causing the PS3 hardware to overheat.
'We are both committed to working hard to find solutions to this and any issues that may arise.'
Previously, Rockstar had pinned the blame on a firmware update from Sony that (they said) was causing problems in older 'fat' models of the PS3. But they then hurriedly retracted that claim, deleting the blogpost and instead posting a workaround. Sony then hit back, suggesting that the fault lay with L.A. Noire itself, and suggesting that the issue affected some Xbox 360 users as well.
[ UPDATE: Rockstar have also just posted a statement grumpily denying that L.A. Noire is the cause of crashes on the Xbox 360. 'L.A. Noire has not caused these issues to the Xbox 360 console or the PS3 console as previously addressed by us and Sony,' they say.]

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Yeah I heard about this too.

Glad I didn't buy it on release like I was planning. I have had more than enough overheating issues with both consoles in the past without having to worry about something like this. Although that said with it being summer now more or less I only play games in very small doses and even sometimes point a fan at the hotspots if it goes on for a while just for peace of mind.

-_- It never used to be like this.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
We've had two different 360s, one new and one second hand since 2006... never had a problem with either of them, I think because we tend to play games only for a couple of hours at a time. Never left it on all day or half the night, and always disconnect it from the mains when it's off. Yet friends of mine have gone through 3 or more of these consoles. I can guess it might just be overheating from being such big gamers the consoles are on more often than not, and not issues from the games themselves. It's hard to imagine how software can really damage the hardware in any way, unless the game is stretching the consoles' processing power to the limit.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
I never had a problem playing the game on my PS3. Apparently, Sony claimed that there is no overheating problem, and the story is false. If somehow anyone have the overheating problem when playing the game, contact Sony or Microsoft.

Before playing the game, it would be best to download the patch to avoid this problem.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Rockstar & Sony both say it isnt them that caused the issue though some PS3 owners have had issues with the new firmware and some Beta Testers had some issues with the new 360 firmware. Ive experienced no issues at all while playing it on my 360 so far.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Chaos Master has actually mentioned something that I've been thinking about. (IE Downloading patches for games.)
Sony, Microsoft and the like assume that everyone who has a console has a useable/decent internet connection and are able to download these things. It just really gets my goat.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Chaos Master has actually mentioned something that I've been thinking about. (IE Downloading patches for games.)
Sony, Microsoft and the like assume that everyone who has a console has a useable/decent internet connection and are able to download these things. It just really gets my goat.

Yeah, that annoys me as well. "Oh, our patch will fix this broken game! Oh wait, you don't have internet? Too bad!" It really bugs me even though I've got good internet, my friends IRL can't get the patches to fix their games because their internet is crappy or they have NO internet.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Yeah, that annoys me as well. "Oh, our patch will fix this broken game! Oh wait, you don't have internet? Too bad!" It really bugs me even though I've got good internet, my friends IRL can't get the patches to fix their games because their internet is crappy or they have NO internet.

Yeah its a shame that companies went down this route for patches and fixes expecting people to have the internet but there isnt really any other way of getting around it. Major updates for firmware and such can be put onto discs from a PC (but still need access to internet somewhere) then put into console for update. However on consoles patches are only available online as there is no other cost effective way of making them available to consumers.

Top Bottom