• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Kingdom Of Loathing

seraphmaycry

I found a cool little not so well known game and would like to share it with you along all with a bit of review/description.

it's a fairly simple looking game, the graphics are stupidly look spec, but i like the look.

it's a comical rpg with some heavy satire in certain areas.

There are 6 classes, all puns on general archetypes.

There are two elements that make up the main part of this game.

the first, is a.... interesting form of strategy, you start off with 80 turns, getting a free 40 per day.

you can increase this amount with food, which will make you full and unable to eat , and beer, which makes you drunk, which does basically nothing, drunkeness/fullness is reset daily.

the second is an RPG element that i don't know whether or not it's a commonplace thing for rpgs, but at the end of the game you can ascend to a new class, you will also earn some karma, which lets you buy food and gear for your next character and allowing you to permanently keep skills across all incarnations.

these two elements add a genuinely interesting form of strategy, you want to maximise the number of turns you get without getting drunk and getting as many turns as you can without getting full, and you want to be able to use other classes skills to either get better food and alcohol or use less turns to accomplish things.

i understand this game isn't for everyone, most people would probably hate it and feel limited by the basic combat and playtime limit, but it's great fun to me at least.

this game is frustrating in certain areas, and all the text gets a bit lengthy, if you have not sufficiently increased item drops or other stats, entire days worth of adventuring (usually between 40 and 200 turns)
can be lost.

the link is here, it is also apparently free on mobile.

http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/

if anyone is interested enough to have gotten this far instead of closing down the thread, then i recommend either the pastamancer or disco bandit for your first play through because pastamancer has a skill you can make permanent that lets you make great food, and the bandit has one for alcohol, do one after the other and perming both skills is immensely helpful.

play it if you want, don't if you don't.

seraphmaycry

It seems interesting & creative.

i like it because the game has a nice depth to strategy with not so much focus on combat as other games.

and, yeah, it does some creative elements.

my only real complaints are that the first few days are a leveling grind with very little to generate a good amount of turns and that there's so many cool things that can be obtained only with a donation, which is probably a good thing compared to the normal pay 10$ for a useless pet.

seraphmaycry

@seraphmaycry
my only real complaints are that the first few days are a leveling grind with very little to generate a good amount of turns

Well you don't wanna gain alot up front & a little grinding makes gamers appreciate the rewards.

true, it's just frustrating to make little progress and have to wait until the next day to continue.

seraphmaycry

Wow.
Well no level replacing eliminates skill farming.
one play through equals one skill, you can earn more of the currency used to buy permed skills by accepting and completing certain challenge paths, ranging from being unable to eat, to not using anything with a "b" in it to being a zombie, with everything else in between

seraphmaycry

anyway, to anyone reading, this game, while dull on the first play through, has a unique form of strategy that really pushes the player to achieve higher challenges while minimizing turns spent and is an extremely interesting game worth trying(my opinion, no scientific proof... yet

i will occasionally bump this thread to raise awareness for this game.

Top Bottom