• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

JRPGs With "Bad Endings"?

Goldsickle

I'm not talking about scripted endings that may be "bittersweet" or "tragic" but JRPGs with multiple endings, that also includes a "bad" one?

Can anyone point out/remind me of such titles?

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Tales of Xillia 2 has one that is pretty "bad" as in what consequences it has for most of the cast.
FF XIII-2's main ending is pretty bad as well.
Persona3,4, 5 have bad endings (dunno about 1 and 2, never played those).
Chrono Trigger has multiple I believe.
And don't forget Drakengard (even though I think it's debatable to call it a Jrpg).

Those are pretty much all I can think of without having to jog my memory to hard (granted I had to look up a few of the games to see if I misremembered something).

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Tales of Zestiria has a weird one where (without spoiling anything) there's an optional boss and defeating it nets you the "bad ending". What makes it strange is that it's the hardest boss in the game and yet you don't really get anything from it aside from said bad ending cutscene.

Persona3,4, 5 have bad endings (dunno about 1 and 2, never played those).
Persona 1 has four different endings, two good and two bad.
Persona 2 has only one ending, but one of the player characters can have a "bad end" and die if you make the wrong choices.

Goldsickle

RPGs require to grind for hours to get the right level and equipment, so how do you feel about hours of effort down the drain when your current save file is geared towards a bad ending?

Do some of these games have a "New Game+", so you can restart with your levels and equipment intact?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
so how do you feel about hours of effort down the drain when your current save file is geared towards a bad ending?
I usually black out when that happens and wake up in a padded cell.

Do some of these games have a "New Game+", so you can restart with your levels and equipment intact?
Some of them do.

Most games however (and even most rpgs) make you start from scratch, leading you right back to said padded cell.

Absent Nova

Phantom Thief
Persona lets you use all your old personas in NG+, so you can use a lvl 80 persona despite your character starting over at lvl 1

Top Bottom