• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Risen any good? (and KoA:Reckoning lawl)

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
@Angel
1. I just do the junking for the average everyday items for low levels, you know like the rusty sword, torn cloth armor. Small stuff like that.

There's a junk bag ? Do i have to buy it or is it the norm ?

6000 less ?
It was 6000 or it was 6000 off the original price ?
As for decreasing in price i don't think it would, i've never hear where items get cheaper as you gain experience.
Anything the price increases, maybe they'll drop for increased charisma levels.

Yea that's most likely it, saving the town.
WOW so you can be a town hero huh, sweet.

2. I think, i'm not sure OH OK it's called Reckoning mode (The slow motion mode) the middle bar is for Reckoning mode. lol I keep calling it fate meter.
I think it's by getting high percent on the button executions you fill it faster?

OH Okay so health can regenerate with items, nice.
That's good, swap out for a better stronger one.

3. That's still very cool.
1. The junk bag is a standard part of your inventory but does not add to your weight capacity so if you junk something it is still taking up the same amount of space as before unless you sell or destroy items. When you look at your inventory screen, there is a little bag sitting at the feet of your character called "Junk" and you can select it from the menu on the left to view the contents and destroy them if you like.

It was 6000 to buy - which is 1000 less than the first extra backpack I had to purchase. It could be you're right and the decrease in price is due to my actions. I'll test that out in an unknown town and see what happens.

2. That's it! Reckoning mode - I keep calling it Fate as well but I don't think it matters. It's cool though because once you get the hang of it, you can bring everyone close to death and do a cool finishing move on one enemy before sucking the lifeforce out of everyone else and they all drop down dead at once.
4. Dual Wielding, Yea I kinda figured but it's cool anyway & like you said it's not an issue.

A jump backwards, like when you charge the fire wand? It makings you leap backwards if you charge long enough.

Full armor set: Really, so like strength bonus or magic etc.

5. Persuasion Yea i figured it being in the demo it would be a gimme lol.
Ah okay, i thought it was a good response like MassEffects color dialog tree lol.

Dispel Stuff lol Yea i understand that.
The Dispel Stuff is tricky because you get a number of symbols to match up.
Like @ $ #
The spinning wheel passes over a bunch of symbols !@#$%^&*, & you much stop the opening in the wheel on the right symbols....@ $ #
The thing is it's a time limit & i don't know if it's suppose to be in order lol.

Increase a Skill That's okay, i don't mind doing it that way either.
I'm glad Skyrim still uses that method though.
In Oblivion i'd stand on a rock & throw magic just to level it up lol.

Numerical system Okay so there wouldn't be locked chests where only a level 42 pick pocket could open ?

6. Troll Slaying lol I was going to use the rusty long sword but was doing alot of damage & i wanted to have a little more fun.

Side Quests Oh i totally forgot about dlc.
Are there alot of side quests ?

You have 27, wow.
So it's relatively easy to keep track of your quests then.

Factions, something something magical words something. LOL
You said you can join 3 at a time ?

Baby sitting Oh that's awesome, you set the pace.
It's like Kingdoms of Amalur - Reckoning is implementing concepts games like Skyrim & Fable should've done long ago.

Tasks LOL What!?

But seriously that's really excellent, Kingdoms of Amalur - Reckoning has lots to do.
4. Yeah, as you upgrade your abilities with certain weapons you get those extra bonuses and the distance you leap back is further as you go up the levels. I seriously want to buy a pair of chakram props and hang them on my wall - they look so awesome :laugh:

Absolutely - Might, Sorcery and Finesse are all affected by the wearing of a full set of armour so it makes sense to put on stuff that suits the skill tree you are aiming to excel in. However, it's worth noting that just because you have a set of armour fit for a Mage, it doesn't mean there aren't any bonuses attached from the other classes and vice-versa. For example, my current outfit has huge bonuses for Mana regeneration and increasing my reserves of magic but also has a +5 to my piercing attacks with weapons and +3 to my sneak skills.

5. Seriously, I still don't get how to make Dispel work. I had another go earlier today and just died on the spot. It's getting embarrassing now :laugh:

I do that too! Or just repeatedly jumping off a walkway in Skingrad to up my acrobatics without killing myself.

No, Locked Chests are levelled like in Skyrim and Oblivion but you can still have a go until you get it right. Increasing your skill via the abilities area when you level up will of course make it easier for you but there is nothing that pops up telling you that you can't try it until you are at level X. Lockpicking is both easier and less forgiving at the same time. The locks work in the same way as Skyrim where you have to move the pick around and hope you have the right place but it's nowhere near as sensitive as Skyrim's locks are. I don't even have a single level in Lockpicking skill and I can open Very Hard chests with few problems. The "less forgiving" part comes into play when you get the wrong place to pick - Skyrim will give you at least a few split seconds of wobbling picks to realise your mistake before they break or you stop turning the lock. With Kingdoms, even on easy locks, the pick snaps within a nanosecond of getting it wrong so there is no chance of saving your pick to try again. Plus the Force Lock option only ever stays at just 10% chance unless (presumably) you level up your skill.

6. I'm already considering my next playthrough and I think I might try my bow and arrow if I can get a decent distance between me and the troll. I'll probably panic as usual and just go nuts on him until he dies :laugh:

Soooooooooo many side-quests. And some of them are pretty challenging even on Easy. I've since learned that KoA has an area level cap for enemies so apparently a good thing to do is enter an area whilst you are still a low level to ensure you don't get battered too early on in the game. Indoor areas (including caves and dungeons) are not necessarily limited in this way but regions seem to adhere to it. Apparently the downside is that you can be a total boss before too long and fights become less challenging - but to be honest, for me, if I wanted a challenging fight all the time then I'm better off choosing something other than an open-world role-playing game. I specifically like this genre BECAUSE I don't have to fight impossible enemies all the time. As you become more powerful, enemies are downgraded in colour so that instead of coming across yellow and orange (or the dreaded red which I have yet to encounter), your foes are grey-coded which means that they are at least 4-6 levels below you and take barely any time to dispatch. That said, I have found that Wolves are still one of the hardest to combat because they rush you and blindside you - and then by the time you've turned around to face them, they've lunged for you again and you're bleeding heavily. So if you come across a pack of wolves, make sure you're ready!

It's pretty easy to keep track of quests, yeah. When you go to your local map, you can hover over any little circles to see which side-quest they pertain to and then you can go from there.

There are quite a number of factions but I still haven't joined another one yet - too busy dealing with some weird bloke who is trying to find actors for his play. But yeah, from what I've read online there is no limit to how many factions you can join at once although I can imagine it gets pretty hectic trying to manage them all at the same time. I think I have inadvertently started the path to joining the Warsworn, actually, because I found a corpse with a journal saying to kill some monsters and when I did what it said, it popped up as a side-quest. So maybe if I finish the job, I can join?

So yeah, it'll take a while before you run out of things to do, I reckon :D

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
@Angel
1. OH So you can place items in the junk bag & can remove them if you want ?
But junked items still add weight ?
Like if i had sword that was 2lbs & put it in the junk bag would that 2lbs still add weight ?

2. Oh okay lol, i was like 6000 off the asking price OMG, steal it steal it lol.

Steal something 1st & see if the overall prices increase.

Does your deeds travel from town to town ?

3. Reckoning mode Oh sweet.
I saw a video saying Reckoning mode shouldn't be used because it makes enemies too easy, however i can see it used as a last resort when health is really low & no health items.

4. lol chakram props from Xena or Kingdoms lol.

Armor bonuses So there's more than one bonus from certain armor.
5. lol Yea i understand that from my 1st attempt in the demo.
You have to stop the open circle on the correct symbols.

Increasing Skills Oh yup lol.
I'd go into the woods & spend days training myself.

Locked Chests So lock picks can break too cause i haven't gotten that far in the demo.

And yea i don't like how you can't wiggle the lock picks while trying to open the locks. I'd slide the latch halfway then let it slide close again & readjust the pick, i do like elder scrolls way better for that.

Didn't elder scrolls have an unlocking spell?

6. lol.
Try two quick shots then dodge then two quick shots then dodge.
Try that.

Quests That's great great, i'd have alot to do then.
Enemy Level But you'd gain more experience from stronger enemies right ?

Indoor areas & regions Kinda like Sacred 2, in certain areas the enemies are stronger the further you go.
Do caves refills with enemies ?
challenging fight
So you begin to level up & start dwarfing enemies in power, hmm i'll take it slow then. Stick to exploring a little more than taking out so many enemies.

lol Yes i saw the wolves.
I didn't attack them cause they were just eating & i didn't wanna kill innocent animals.
They chased me so i ran into the water & they left.

Quests tracking How does it indicate you've completed a quest? Cause in sacred 2 it's a little difficult lol.

Factions That's cool. But are there any bad tempers between factions, like the magicians dislike the thieves or whatever?
Are there spies?

Warsworn They sound like bad news lol.
Like they'd want you to eliminate an outstanding citizen or figure head.

That's a plus PLUS.
1. Items put into your junk bag stay there until you either reinstate them to your inventory, destroy them or sell them. So yeah, if you take an item from your inventory that weighs 2lb and place it in Junk, there will be no change in the weight of your inventory - you will still have that 2lb of weight dragging you down.

2. I haven't noticed my deeds making a difference elsewhere so far; some character notice I'm Fateless or whatever they call it, but not everyone - maybe as I follow the main quest there will be more recognition?

3. Reckoning Mode is a lifesaver - especially if you can gobble down some regeneration potions when you're out of health. Go for the biggest, hardest enemy and you can get rid of him/her/it early on...that's what I do, anyway. Makes the whole thing much easier to manage for me.

4. There can be multiple bonuses from one piece of armour and the more of a set you put together, the bonuses not only increase but other ones come into play. So you might start off with a helmet that provides 20+ health and 10+ mana but once you've found the matching pieces that make up the full set, you may find that the additional items increase your health by a further 30%, your mana by another 15% and on top of that you get 5+ bonus to piercing damage, 10+ bonus to magic spell damage and 3+ to sneak skills. Or whatever - the main thing is, try and get a full set if you want the maximum possible bonuses. Of course you can just swap in and out of armours as you come across stronger items that aren't part of your initial set, but it's a good starting point.

5. Lockpicks can and do break. Like, really easily. As far as I know there is no lockpicking spell you can use BUT there are these picks called Prismere Lockpicks which are single-use only but can open any lock so they are worth using when you have a master lock to deal with. Very handy, but I have since discovered that just because there is a really tricky lock, it doesn't mean there is anything worth opening it for. I must have wasted 30 picks on one chest only to finally get in and there was a bone inside. No value or use whatsoever. Kind of raged a bit after that :laugh:

There is a little side-quest in one of the villages that requires you to go on a lockpicking spree (without penalty, I might add) in a warehouse. A guy wants you to find something and he has no idea which container it could be in so you have to try all of them until you find it - there is a good range of lock strengths in the warehouse so stock up on picks and open everything you find because there is a lot of money to be had as well as some awesome items. Items are colour coded in order of rarity so if you can, grab every purple item you find even if you don't want it because it's worth a LOT of money and vendors seem to never lose the items you sell to them so if you change your mind later or make a mistake and sell the wrong thing, you can buy it back.

6. Sounds like a plan, I'll give it a go :D

Yes, you do gain more XP from higher-level enemies...it's just hard killing them! Enemies respawn everywhere after 72 hours so if you need to go through a region or cave you have just cleared, make it fast before they all come back. It's kind of a blessing and curse having that system because on the one hand, you can grind to your hearts content but on the other, it can be frustrating when you've just cleared out a load of orange-level bosses only to find they have come back and you have to go through them again. Trolls and Sprites are the worst for this.

I would highly recommend upping your Detect skills as early on as possible because this helps to show enemies on your map before you encounter them and it also tells you the name of the enemy so you don't blunder into a Jottun camp unprepared and wonder why your head has been taken off. There is an achievement for beating an enemy 4 levels higher than yourself so if you want it, it's advisable not to get to level 37 before trying it because enemies are capped at 40, apparently. I don't think I want to find out what a level 40 enemy is like :laugh:

Wolves and almost every other enemy, as I've said before I think, are area-bound and will give up after a while. Although Wolves will carry on for longer than most - as will Barghest (a bit like wolves) and Kobold.

When you complete a quest, you get a notification on the left of your screen (where ALL game notification are made). If you somehow miss it, you just check your quest log and it will be under "completed" as opposed to being in the active sections. If there is a little bit of lag between finishing a quest and the notification, the sound of gold clinking usually gives it away. The financial rewards are pretty cool, even for small quests. I found this one guy's wife's statue and he gave me 3000 gold for my "effort". I literally walked across the map for 20 seconds, found a statue and fast-travelled back.

With regards to factions, I don't know of any negative or even positive interactions between them. I think perhaps the Travelers might be a faction that encourages spying as they are essentially what Skyrim would regard as the Thieves Guild. They focus on easy money, sneaking, lockpicking that sort of thing. I think the Warsworn are a little like the Fighter's Guild as opposed to a more Dark Brotherhood - they only seem to be going for monsters instead of people but I will be finding out more later when I play.

EDIT: Just went to drop off some stuff at my house in Canneroc and noticed I had an interactive mirror on a table in my bedroom - turns out you can re-customize your appearance from there (although you cannot change your race or any attributes of that kind). So if you don't like what you made at the start, you can completely alter your appearance from a mirror in your house. I really really like that as an option - considering you actually SEE your character, it's nice that you can alter how you look whenever you want to.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Prismere lockpicks can be bought or found - beware though, they are PRICEY.

Gotta say, I'm level 22 now and I'm proper proud of myself. You know how I said I legged it from a main quest battle because I kept dying? Well I went back just to see what would happen and every enemy was downgraded in colour because of my level. Took about 3 minutes to kill all minions plus boss.

EVEN MORE proud of myself - just battered this guy (not my own image, btw, just one from the web to give you an idea of how effing big he is):

YbqEJbB.jpg

And that was no picnic - he's got a fire-beam eyeball. I am awesome :laugh:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Don't charge up attacks until you have room or you stagger him.
Look for moments when they stop & stagger for a chance to charge up attacks/use health items/chance weapons.
And try attacking the from behind.

Higher Exp Okay cool.
It's nice to know if i take out a level 20 while i'm level 4 that it'll be worth it lol.

Respawning enemies Oh no way, i'll wait lol.
That's even better, respawning enemies makes open world games better.
It adds to the farming of enemies.

Detect skills Is that only for enemies ?
Can it help in item locating ?

lol Could be really cranky at higher levels.

Wolves Yea i remember my very 1st play of the demo, wolves & others will chase you awhile.

Quests completion Oh okay, so i can completely keep track of finished & unfinished quests.

Oh sweet........OH are items lying around easy to see, do they have a glimmer, arrow say HERE?
lol - sorry about that. I forgot you have a posting limit and probably wasn't done yet!

If you up your detect skills it no only highlights enemies but also improves the amount of gold you loot/find, shows up hidden doorways, hidden items, where all chest locations are and also any traps or automated defences that an area may have.

And yes, you can easily keep track of everything via the menu if you miss a notification of any kind.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Factions Yea the Travelers sounds like thieves lol

Oh okay, Yea that's fighters guild. Monster hunters.

Character customization Oh that's AWESOME! I hate creating a character & having no more access if i change my mind later.

Yea i really like that too, that's what i love about SaintsRow series.
At anytime you have $500 you can change anything about your character. Anything.
@Angel
Prismere Lockpicks YEA I thought they might be lol, with a fancy name, yea it's gonna cost.

Level 22 Oh that is so awesome, & see it is awesome to see your progress actually reflected in combat.
DarkSouls is different with that lol.

How effing big he is): WOW He looks awesome!

Fire beam eyeball, so in the picture his eye is closed ?

lol No problem, keep going.

Hidden doorways Now that's cool.
Hidden doorways, hidden enemies, sweet.
OMG I bet there's ton of secret things in the game.

Keeping track That's great, that's a big problem i have with RPGs at times.
I joined the Travelers and Warsworn last night - each one has its own little problems with in-fighting, treachery and so on and so forth. Only a few of the Factions you can join have ranks, though - the others are just things to do on the side, I guess.

The customisation option is cool - but currently I love how my Dokklwhatitsname looks, so I've not used it yet.

I was shocked at how easy things got when I went back to finish off that quest I had previously rage-quitted - the difference between level 12 (where I was before) and level 23 (where I am now) is immense; much more of a leap than you would experience in Skyrim. And that giant boss (Balor, his name is) was terrifying until I realised he works a lot like DMC and RE enemies - you know how they do a certain set of attacks and then kind of pause or come closer or do something which enables you to press a certain button at the right time to do extra damage? That's pretty much how this goes - he gets mad, swipes at you, laser-beams you with his eye (without a shield of some kind, this can finish you off instantly) and then sticks his weird arms into the ground and you can hit the F key do some attacks on him. Rinse and repeat about 3 times and then he's dead. It wasn't until after I had beaten him that I checked out some YouTube videos and saw how some people had used magical barriers, hidden behind bits of building, dodged, evaded etc - I just button mashed until he was dead :laugh: - no finesse at all, but it did the job. And quickly, too. In the image his eye is indeed closed - open, it's a giant yellow orb of burning deathness lol. To me, Balor looks like something out of a Del Toro film...a bit freaky, really.

I purchased a new backpack for my inventory yesterday and it cost 8,100 gold so it looks like it is random as to how much they are. I've got almost half a million gold now though so I don't really care :laugh:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I just beat the game :jawdrop:

Like, didn't even realise it was the end because I was so busy panicking and button-mashing...Google "Tirnoch final battle" and check out just what it was I had to beat up.

Very pleased with myself, I have to say.

Would highly recommend that mages level up Ice Barrage and also get Meteor as that is instant kill on the majority of enemies except for some troll varieties (Prismere trolls being the least vulnerable to its effects). Meteor can also severely knock down a boss's health, which is very handy.

I am such a boss right now :laugh:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
@Angel
Great job! :woot:

lol :nailbiting: Panicking but you made it. Big hugs!

You going for round two ?
Yay for me! I seriously am still really proud of myself lol

Well, there's no need for me to start a new profile just yet because there are 145 side quests to do, 8 side quests in the Dead Kel DLC, 59 faction-related quests, 22 tasks and a further 15 side quests as part of the other DLC.

Not to mention I'm going to be upping my skills to Master levels in all the areas I have yet to accomplish in terms of crafting, lockpicking, mercantile and the like. I want to find all areas, do everything I can possibly do and then I'll start again and be as evil as possible.

Gonna be busy for quite some time :laugh:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
@Angel
1. Well you should be proud.
And you said you weren't good at games lol.

2. Oh that's good, plenty to do.
And a plus continued play after the main quest is finished.

3. Now you can go after the CHESTS lol.
1. Oh, I'm still not - but it has been loads of fun so far :D

2. I literally have such a massive load of things to do I can barely look at my quest list without wincing :laugh:

There are lots of things to locate outside of quests, such as all the Lorestones in each area. Once you find them all, you get a bonus from each set. Now that I have upped my Detect to maximum, I can see the locations of all the Stones so I know where they are - great thing about this map is that once you have found a Stone, it disappears from your map so you don't find it twice by mistake. The Stones can only be used once anyway so you're not missing out by levelling your Detect skill this high.

One thing I have noticed is that some missions really do require you to level up in a certain area such as Alchemy. I am currently charged with finding herbs for some bloke in a town but every time I find the plant I need, it just dies and I get the message that nothing could be harvested. Apparently, I need to level my Alchemy skill more and then I will have a higher chance of getting what I need. Unfortunately, I am level 32 with only 8 levels remaining until I have reached the cap for my character, so levelling up right now is sloooooow going.

Having said that, you can visit a Fateweaver at any time and reset all your skills to zero so you can hone the ones you want - I may just do this once I reach the top level of Sorcery for my character and perhaps go for a Rogue class instead. It's a bit like when you go Legendary on Skyrim - you reset the skills you had to 0 and can reappoint the skill points to something else if you like.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Well your skills would be reset to 0 so you need to be sure you want your destiny rewoven for you, but the points you have accrued are still there to reassign. So you need to be definite that the skills you currently have are no longer suited to the type of character you want to be.

At least I think that is how it works - maybe I'll save, see a Fateweaver and see what happens and then reload if I don't like it :laugh:

Just about to sneak into a castle and place a cursed ring in the desk of a tyrant lord...my sneak is level 1, so I need to see if it's ok to kill guards before I get going or this is going to be a loooong task.,,

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Turns out I was able to go on a major killing spree inside the castle - because the levelling up system is not dependent on how often you use your skills, it doesn't matter if you don't spend half the game sneaking or not. The points system does not reflect how you have behaved in between each level up; it just gives you points and you can assign them as you please. I kind of like that because it felt limiting in Elder Scrolls games sometimes to have to creep around JUST to get to the next level in my sneak skill - at least this way I can stick all my points into Sneak if I want to, or use them for something else entirely.

So yeah, this Lord Kandrian or whoever was not helping with the war effort, so I got his ring cursed and when he wore it, he died peacefully in his sleep and his relative was put on the throne instead. It's one of the few quests where regardless of your feelings towards assassination, the quest can only be played out one way - he dies or you are stuck with the quest in your active log forever.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Are you guys looking forward to Bound by Flame, as well?

Edit: Also, did you switch classes in order to sneak around?

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Bound by Flame...? Que'st que c'est?

And no, I didn't switch - I just murdered everyone on sight to be sure :laugh:

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
I've basically gotten a bit desperate for an open-world RPG (although I still love my Bethesda games) and because it was less than a tenner, I just went and bought a copy of Risen for the PC.

When it first made an appearance (and I was solely a 360 player), it had dreadful reviews...but I have since seen some good things being said about the PC version.

Anyone played it? On any platform? And if so, is it any good or just a lot of pretty animation and no substance?

I didn't play Risen 2, but I have played Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on my PS3.

To me, it is a good game, with deep customisation, great combat system, deep leveling system, high replay value and nice story. However, it has some issues.

First of all, the graphics. For a 2012 game, the graphics feels mediocre, but it gives off enough fantasy vibe to me as fantasy games fan. The characters have poor lip-sync during conversations, and many of the NPCs have poorly detailed models.

Secondly, repetitiveness. The side quests are fairly repetitive, with mostly consists of fetch-and-deliver item quests or killing enemies. There is not much variety here, so non-RPG players may feel easily bored doing the side quests easily.

Thirdly, technical issues. There are some technical issues like bugs and glitches while I was playing the game, as well as screen tearing.

Overall, I would give the game a 7.5/10. If you do not like the demo, it is unlikely for you to like the full game.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I give it a 9 out of a 10 due to overall enjoyment, a well-executed combat system, and ease of use compared to something like oh say, Morrowind.

Last edited:

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I give it a 9 out of a 10 due to overall enjoyment, a well-executed combat system, and ease of use compared to something like oh say, Morrowind.
Morrowind was released in 2002; it's 12 years-old, of course it would be difficult to use and pretty much every game before say 2004 was convoluted. Even today, while ignoring how ugly the graphics are - I'm serious when I say everyone in Morrowind looks like crap -, I still can't get into Morrowind. The combat's just too weird for me to play through.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Grrrrr OMG those razza-fraggin Garema Ghost Warriors in Sacred2FallenAngel.
They go invisible & you can't target them at all.

Sacred2FallenAngel is very challenging, you can burn through 200 health potions quickly.

@Angel you should try this game.
It's way different from Kingdoms & you really have to put alot of work into it.
You will get swarmed by enemies, 4, 5, up to 10 or 15 at a time.
Armor, weapons, magic, etc is definitely needed lol.

It sounds too difficult for me :laugh: - I get easily frustrated with any game that hands me my backside within a few minutes of starting it and I like the chance to build up slowly and then kick off on people once I'm stupidly over-powered.

Having said that, if there are those magic console commands to hand then I am always happy to give anything a go - mostly because I know I can't die :laugh:
I didn't play Risen 2, but I have played Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on my PS3.

To me, it is a good game, with deep customisation, great combat system, deep leveling system, high replay value and nice story. However, it has some issues.

First of all, the graphics. For a 2012 game, the graphics feels mediocre, but it gives off enough fantasy vibe to me as fantasy games fan. The characters have poor lip-sync during conversations, and many of the NPCs have poorly detailed models.

Secondly, repetitiveness. The side quests are fairly repetitive, with mostly consists of fetch-and-deliver item quests or killing enemies. There is not much variety here, so non-RPG players may feel easily bored doing the side quests easily.

Thirdly, technical issues. There are some technical issues like bugs and glitches while I was playing the game, as well as screen tearing.

Overall, I would give the game a 7.5/10. If you do not like the demo, it is unlikely for you to like the full game.
It's weird - the demo frustrated me but the game itself, I have really really enjoyed (although I have not been playing it for the last couple of weeks).

I didn't notice any graphics issues whatsoever and the lip-syncing was fairly spot-on but then I don't know what the customisation options for the PS3 version are available - I was able to take my settings from default to super ultra mega awesome on the PC and there simply were no problems with tearing, poor models (or at least they didn't look crappy) or anything else. I did notice on the 360 version there were some graphic loading delays and such so maybe it is a console issue?

With regards to the repetitive missions, every RPG I have played has the same sort of set-up. Go get/save this item/person and bring it to this guy/girl and then rinse and repeat. With Amalur, I have yet to find it predictably boring even though it's very familiar to me. The DLC side-missions have been different in places what with races, having to creatively kill rats (quite fun, actually) and stop floods in the sewers...if I'm truly honest, I wouldn't know what to recommend as an alternative to developers with regards to creating side-quests. I mean, solving a murder in Skyrim was pretty cool and Amalur there is a fairly long-ish one where you have to complete a series of tasks in order to gain control of an entire Keep which then becomes yours to live in, train in and rule over your people (haven't got to that bit yet but I like the idea of ruling, especially as it seems to offer what Fable 3 should have given in that you get to be far more involved with your subjects and how you make decisions).

Currently I'm having a go at Dino Horde but once I've finished being dreadful at that, I'm quite keen to get back into Amalur now that I've gone back through this thread :laugh:

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
It sounds too difficult for me :laugh: - I get easily frustrated with any game that hands me my backside within a few minutes of starting it and I like the chance to build up slowly and then kick off on people once I'm stupidly over-powered.

Having said that, if there are those magic console commands to hand then I am always happy to give anything a go - mostly because I know I can't die :laugh:

It's weird - the demo frustrated me but the game itself, I have really really enjoyed (although I have not been playing it for the last couple of weeks).

I didn't notice any graphics issues whatsoever and the lip-syncing was fairly spot-on but then I don't know what the customisation options for the PS3 version are available - I was able to take my settings from default to super ultra mega awesome on the PC and there simply were no problems with tearing, poor models (or at least they didn't look crappy) or anything else. I did notice on the 360 version there were some graphic loading delays and such so maybe it is a console issue?

With regards to the repetitive missions, every RPG I have played has the same sort of set-up. Go get/save this item/person and bring it to this guy/girl and then rinse and repeat. With Amalur, I have yet to find it predictably boring even though it's very familiar to me. The DLC side-missions have been different in places what with races, having to creatively kill rats (quite fun, actually) and stop floods in the sewers...if I'm truly honest, I wouldn't know what to recommend as an alternative to developers with regards to creating side-quests. I mean, solving a murder in Skyrim was pretty cool and Amalur there is a fairly long-ish one where you have to complete a series of tasks in order to gain control of an entire Keep which then becomes yours to live in, train in and rule over your people (haven't got to that bit yet but I like the idea of ruling, especially as it seems to offer what Fable 3 should have given in that you get to be far more involved with your subjects and how you make decisions).

Currently I'm having a go at Dino Horde but once I've finished being dreadful at that, I'm quite keen to get back into Amalur now that I've gone back through this thread :laugh:

Unfortunately for the PS3 version, there is no customisation for the graphics.

Possibly, as consoles have limited hardware specs compared to PC.

It is a staple in RPGs, although I find that many people recently can't stand repetitive missions or objectives in a game. What actually encourages me to play the side quests in RPGs is usually the story behind the side quests.

Top Bottom