• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Dante the new King of the Demons?!

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
I remember a scene after Dante gains his DT, where Phineas states something about after he defeats Mundus, who will be king? I can't help but feel like he ways implying Dante to be their new king. What do you guys think?

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
I have heard many people here saying that Phineas is warning Dante about Vergil's plans (ruling humans), obviously implying that Vergil is wrong and no one should take Mundus's place.
However, my personally favourite interpretation of this line is that someone WOULD HAVE to take Mundus's place, and the world cannot be left to himself, because the only result of it would be chaos.
This second interpretation is my personal favourite, but I don't think that it is the correct one (Phineas is a "good" character, it would be strange if he said something that somehow defended Vergil's plans).

In general, however, I don't know if defeating Mundus automatically makes Dante a demon king... It depends on the "rules" of the demon world. I'm dubious in this regard. :ermm:

I don't think Dante would be interested in taking such place xD.He is still at the start and still unexperienced to 'rule' and as I said he doesn't have any interest,not that I would see him doing it.He's not that kind of guy.
(Just like in DMC1 when he defeated Mundus,he didn't take his place because it was unfitting to him and he didn't take such interest in becoming some kind of legend like his father or to rule over demons)

LysseC

I' m sure that he is not interested in ruling the demons, but at the end of DmC he clearly states that he will take it upon his shoulders to defend mankind.
It could be an interesting way to develop the story to see him taking up the role of demon king but with the intention of using his power as ruler to impose that demons do not harm humans (with the obvious difficulties in enforcing such a rule on his demonic subjects....)
...But I don't think this is in character for Dante, it is more Vergil's way of reasoning. Dante, and especially DmC Dante, is not one who likes rules, I think... :p

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Weegee is king of the demons
190px-Weegee.png

Just look at those eyes and tell me they don't scream demonic

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I remember a scene after Dante gains his DT, where Phineas states something about after he defeats Mundus, who will be king? I can't help but feel like he ways implying Dante to be their new king. What do you guys think?
I think what Phineas was telling him was, it doesn't matter if he kills Mundus, there will always be someone else out there who will come along and take his place, whether it's ten years or a hundred, another willl come.

Though in Vergil's case, ten minutes XP

Being Dante was Sparda's son, his old friend, Phineas might've believed if anyone should take over after Mundus, it should be Dante. But a ruler's not the type of man Dante is.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Like other's have said, Dante's just not the ruling humanity type...unless Phineas' warning was more of a hint, like: 'if you don't do it, someone worse will, so I want you to be ruler'.
But, I think Dante's already busy since he said he wants to protect humanity.

In general, however, I don't know if defeating Mundus automatically makes Dante a demon king... It depends on the "rules" of the demon world. I'm dubious in this regard. :ermm:
When I think of the demon world, and how it is organized in DmC, I think about Game of Thrones. You know the Dothraki people...they choose their leader because he is strong, violent and powerful; and the leader then chooses blood riders to be like his right hand men, people whom he really trusts. Then when the leader shows weakness, people do not follow him, and the new leader is the one who wins the fight for leader.

I figure the demon world is like that. Mundus did have to earn his place as king by rising up and killing and fighting, so it must mean that demons want their rulers to be strong and violent. Plus, he had Sparda as a blood brother to fight with him.
So for me, demon world does have a lot of similarities with Game of Thrones Dothraki people.

Plus, with Mundus gone, the demons had no leader, but as soon as Vergil got his new power, the demons seemed to choose him. So I guess that does prove that demons will follow anyone who is really strong and powerful.

Plus, with Mundus gone, the demons had no leader, but as soon as Vergil got his new power, the demons seemed to choose him. So I guess that does prove that demons will follow anyone who is really strong and powerful.
If your theory is right, and demons follow those who are powerful,why they don't follow Dante instead of Vergil since Vergil was defeated by him? But I guess since Vergil became more powerful they didn't have any choice and thought of Vergil as more evil than his brother.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
If your theory is right, and demons follow those who are powerful,why they don't follow Dante instead of Vergil since Vergil was defeated by him? But I guess since Vergil became more powerful they didn't have any choice and thought of Vergil as more evil than his brother.
Maybe it's something to do with Dante saying he will protect humans? It goes against what demons want to do which is enslave humans and eat them.
Plus, even if they did want Dante to rule them, Dante would kill them.

Vergil on the other hand has become corrupted, so he would be a better leader than Dante. Plus, Vergil has now mastered his doppelganger and gained more power. I also get the feeling that he will use his new demon army to try and kill Dante and then rule humans by himself. I think he'd be capable of doing that after becoming corrupted in the DLC.

Also, he was one half of the team that defeated Mundus. Sure, Dante did a lot of the work, but Vergil was inside that monster form actually fighting Mundus' human vessel.

Maybe it's something to do with Dante saying he will protect humans? It goes against what demons want to do which is enslave humans and eat them.
Plus, even if they did want Dante to rule them, Dante would kill them.

Vergil on the other hand has become corrupted, so he would be a better leader than Dante. Plus, Vergil has now mastered his doppelganger and gained more power. I also get the feeling that he will use his new demon army to try and kill Dante and then rule humans by himself. I think he'd be capable of doing that after becoming corrupted in the DLC.

Also, he was one half of the team that defeated Mundus. Sure, Dante did a lot of the work, but Vergil was inside that monster form actually fighting Mundus' human vessel.
It's rational to think Dante wouldn't rule over demons since his goal is to protect humans.
I was refering in terms of who is more powerful but you're also right.And yes, Vergil being the leader of the demon army would be logical rather than Dante rulling over demons,it would be kind of contradictory too.

LysseC

When I think of the demon world, and how it is organized in DmC, I think about Game of Thrones. You know the Dothraki people...they choose their leader because he is strong, violent and powerful; and the leader then chooses blood riders to be like his right hand men, people whom he really trusts. Then when the leader shows weakness, people do not follow him, and the new leader is the one who wins the fight for leader.

I figure the demon world is like that. Mundus did have to earn his place as king by rising up and killing and fighting, so it must mean that demons want their rulers to be strong and violent. Plus, he had Sparda as a blood brother to fight with him.
So for me, demon world does have a lot of similarities with Game of Thrones Dothraki people.

Wow, I never thought about this comparison before, but the similarities are relly striking!! Good job Loopy!

And continuing with this analogy, I was thinking, in the dothraki society there is not a single "king", but there are many khals, each of whom has his own loyal warriors. And after khal dies, we have seen that many warriors can form a khalasar of their own, and become khals themselves.
So maybe, after "khal" Mundus was defeated, both Vergil and Dante, having a disagreement, each went on their own way and became "khals" in their own right...

Moreover, I think that we must consider another element for becoming a demon king: wanting to be one.
If I got the last cutscene of VD right, when Vergil awakens and is faced with that horde of demons, he makes somehow a display of his powers, and it is only then that the demons bend their knee. Vergil knowinigly makes a show of his powers because he wants those demons to serve him. (Quite like Dany in the season one finale: she shows she has survived the fire and it's like she says "Look at how powerful I am. Follow me.", because she wants those people to follow her.)
Dante, on the other hand, wouldn't probably do such a thing, he would simply attack them, and maybe, in this case, a demon wouldn't simply follow him, because Dnate is not making a statement like that of Dany.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600

more like there'll be another demonic civil war until a new demon claws his way to the top and declares himself king, and then manages to kill any other demons that oppose his claim

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
more like there'll be another demonic civil war until a new demon claws his way to the top and declares himself king, and then manages to kill any other demons that oppose his claim

Sounds like the plot to Disgaea: Hour (or Afternoon) of Darkness.

TheNoHeartedBeing

Vergil is controlling the demons that are in the human world at this point of time. Hes not an official demon king but he can control demons. His limit? I dont know. Now i believe there's like 3 demon kings that resides in the underworld. Dante is not a demon king and he cant control demons.

Dante47

He's more like a king who abandoned the throne before his rule, because he didn't want to rule.​
He didn't even know he was playing for power. He did it overthrow Mundus, nothing more.​
If he wanted to be demon king, he could be.​

Top Bottom