• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Is Dante faster than speeding bullets?

Lightblade47

If Dante is faster than speeding bullets, then why does he use guns when he himself is faster? If he's not faster, than how does he dodge and blocks Nero's shots in the beginning of Devil May Cry 4 when they both fight in the church?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
If Dante is faster than speeding bullets, then why does he use guns when he himself is faster?

Just cause he is faster doesn't mean his enemies are. Most of them anyway. The majority of the enemies he fights are low to mid level demons, guns can get the job done with less effort than having to move his whole body at bullet speed, thus resulting in an overall more efficient choice. Especially considering that the shots he fires are imbued with his own demonic power anyway.

Secondly, we all know Dante's a guy who likes flare and style. There's no way he wouldn't want to incorporate some "Gun Fu" to his fights.

Last edited:

Lightblade47

Just cause he is faster doesn't mean his enemies are. Most of them anyway. The majority of the enemies he fights are low to mid level demons, guns can get the job done with less effort than having to move his whole body at bullet speed, thus resulting in an overall more efficient choice. Especially considering that the shots he fires are imbued with his own demonic power anyway.

Secondly, we all know Dante's a guy who likes flare and style. There's no way he wouldn't want to incorporate some "Gun Fu" to his fights.

So if he is fighting a demon that is much stronger, then the guns become obsolete?

Lightblade47

You could say so. In fact, I don't remember him ever using guns against very powerful foes aside from using them for a mere coup of grace.

Yeah, at least if we discount gameplay anyway. So is Dante’s feat of dodging Nero's bullets the only feat that would make Dante faster than bullets? Is there any other feat that Dante performs that support Dante being faster than bullets?

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah, at least if we discount gameplay anyway. So is Dante’s feat of dodging Nero's bullets the only feat that would make Dante faster than bullets? Is there any other feat that Dante performs that support Dante being faster than bullets?

There's him cutting his own bullets in half after Vergil redirects them at him, in DMC3.

Now that I think about it, the first fight with Vergil is probably the only instance of Dante using guns against a top tier opponent. However, at that time he was extremely cocky and underestimated Vergil way too much, probably not considering him as strong as he was. In fact, he never used his guns against him again afterwards.

Veloran

Is there any other feat that Dante performs that support Dante being faster than bullets?
I think the death battle people calculated his speed based on the scene in 3 where him and Vergil move so quickly the rain seems to stop and they cut every drop in the area around them to be absurdly high. Take that as you will.

I would think 4 makes it obvious though, what with him blocking bullets manually and shooting them out of the air in his boss fight.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I think the death battle people calculated his speed based on the scene in 3 where him and Vergil move so quickly the rain seems to stop and they cut every drop in the area around them to be absurdly high. Take that as you will.

That was a "romanticized" version of the scene by Lady though. In the actual fight, there was no rain drop cutting.

But Dante was still able to be fast enough to cut his own bullets in half so that's your proof of him being that fast as of DMC3.

Lightblade47

That was a "romanticized" version of the scene by Lady though. In the actual fight, there was no rain drop cutting.

But Dante was still able to be fast enough to cut his own bullets in half so that's your proof of him being that fast as of DMC3.

Do you think it's possible that he maybe predicted where the bullets were going to be and anticipated them?

There is the fact that Vergil was able to swing his sword fast enough that he was able to catch all of this bullets, and make several revolutions before the bullets make contact, but the bullets all land nearly simultaneously when Dante fired 7 shots in a much longer timespan, and the bullets are caught in places where the yamato wasn't, so I'm not sure what's going on there. And when Dante hits all of the bullets it's possible Vergil threw them slower than bullet speed, the rain was still going at normal speed when Dante hits the bullets. I don't know I'm just thinking out loud here.

Last edited:

Lightblade47

I just realized something. Would people here agree that Argosax is one of strongest opponents that Dante faces? In the end Dante manages to defeat Argosax with a gunshot to the head after Dante got his sword knocked out of his hands. We've already established that Dante might be faster than bullets, yet Argosax wasn't' able to dodge the bullet at the end. He was fast enough to parry Dante's sword out of his hands which theoretically should be faster, so what gives?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
but the bullets all land nearly simultaneously when Dante fired 7 shots in a much longer timespan, and the bullets are caught in places where the yamato wasn't, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

It's just a visual effect, don't read too much into it. It's just supposed to represent the fact that he swings his swords so fast the eye can't follow its movement clearly.

We've already established that Dante might be faster than bullets, yet Argosax wasn't' able to dodge the bullet at the end. He was fast enough to parry Dante's sword out of his hands which theoretically should be faster, so what gives?

As I said, that was merely a coup of grace. The dude was already weakened by the fight with Dante, like Arkham vs Dante and Vergil.

Lightblade47

As I said, that was merely a coup of grace. The dude was already weakened by the fight with Dante, like Arkham vs Dante and Vergil.

Sax was still able to knock Dante’s sword away though. Dante himself and by extension his sword swings should be faster than his bullets, but Sax reacted to Dante’s sword swing, but couldn’t dodge his bullets which should be slower.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
but Sax reacted to Dante’s sword swing, but couldn’t dodge his bullets which should be slower.

Yeah at point blank, of course he couldn't my boy. That makes a huge difference, you know. Dante's sword attack still came from a mile away. His shot was from literally centimeters from Sax's face. So it was still easier to react to the sword than the bullet. Also the bullet was charged with his own demonic power, so I wouldn't exclude that would make the shot go even faster than normal, besides being more powerful.

Lightblade47

Yeah at point blank, of course he couldn't my boy. That makes a huge difference, you know. Dante's sword attack still came from a mile away. His shot was from literally centimeters from Sax's face. So it was still easier to react to the sword than the bullet.

When Sax reacted to block, he originally had his arm at rest on his side with his sword pointed to the floor slightly behind him. He was able to bring the sword to parry Dante’s attack when the blade was about a foot or two from Sax’s face. Perhaps it is not point blank range, but considering Dante should be faster with his sword than the bullets coming from his gun, I can’t help but feel this causes a contradiction. Maybe because the speed difference between Dante’s bullets and himself isn’t that far apart? Then again you did mention the shots from Dante may have been a sped up so that might explain it. The only thing is it is speculation but I suppose it’s possible.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
The scene of him running down the tower in 3 gives some indication of hos speed, from there he gets faster

Alastor imbues him with lightnig speed in dmc1

Plus he can teleport and dash insanely fast with trickster

He can also keep up with and best blitzes with ease which are lightning speed

The savior scene in 4 where dante is hanging off his sword stuck on its hand is a clue too , it slams its hands together really fast

But dante is then on top of it smiling

Dante is well beyond bullet speed

Lightblade47

The scene of him running down the tower in 3 gives some indication of hos speed, from there he gets faster

Yeah, but he couldn't outrun his own bullet. Eventually the bullet hit the sword and Dante was able to catch up to the sword, but this is likely because the sword itself was slowed down due to drag and hitting multiple blood-goyles who are light enough to fly. Still fast though.

Alastor imbues him with lightnig speed in dmc1

I do know that the Alastor gives it's user electric properties, but are there feats that support he could move at lightning speeds? Certainly Dante's ability to fire lightning out of his hands should be faster than bullets. One of Beowulf's attack descriptions has Dante making small super novas with his hands, though I doubt the actual power is comparable to that of an actual supernova.

He can also keep up with and best blitzes with ease which are lightning speed

From what I saw with the cutscene, Dante missed his first attack against the blitz, and seeing as how trying to physically hit it with a melee weapon damages the player, it is implied that Dante had to use bullets against the demon. The fact that Dante has sped up his bullet projectiles with his demon powers is a possibility so there's that.

The savior scene in 4 where dante is hanging off his sword stuck on its hand is a clue too , it slams its hands together really fast

Dante was able to avoid these true, but was it really necessary for Dante to be at bullet speeds to do so?

Plus he can teleport and dash insanely fast with trickster

Now Dante teleporting and dashing might make him faster than bullets, the only thing is it is hard to measure but I can believe that. After all if he can dash in midair then it's possible he can make himself even faster, if not in specific directions.

Last edited:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
This was an enlightening read, thanks guys.

I do want to just add here that Dante was unable to dodge Lady's bullet (unless catching it with his forehead was intentional lol) and he probably couldn't dodge Trish's lightning zaps either (I've got no source to back this up, so I've either seen it in a cutscene/anime or I'm assuming things).

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
For the most part Dante's speed depends on the situation the developers put him in, or what makes him look cooler.

I don't believe there's an established speed to rate him at and him dodging bullets is mostly to make him look cool and stylish. It's really an absense of disbelief.

Top Bottom