• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ip Man 3

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Donnie Yen is back in the role of Bruce Lee's master for another Ip Man movie, and I couldn't be happier it's happening.

My inner kung fu movie fanboy is cumming but I have one concern: another boxer? I mean yeah it's Mike Tyson but still... I hope they make the fight different from Ip Man vs Twister.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
lol, i knew you were gonna make a thread about this, but i thought you were going to be excited about tyson.. but hey, we got donnie, "bruce lee", tony jaa and yes tyson, i'm very much hyped about this

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
yeah the way i see it he'll be some big boss there with that shirt and office and all, he might be a boxer in real life, but i think he'll go free fight with brutal style in the movie.. i sure hope

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Ok here's my thoughts.

Movie can be condensed into three acts, and my appreciation from worst to best goes like this: 1, 3, 2.

The first act is what I feared they were gonna turn the whole movie into, a superhero flick.
C'mon, anybody who's seen the film realizes in the first act they're conveying Yip Man as a vigilante or something. It was kinda silly but doesn't last too long.

Second and third act, they finally did what I wanted them to do. Exploring Yip Man's family. Specifically, the relationship between him and his wife, which also gives Donnie Yen the opportunity to show off some really good acting.
Now, I don't know how much a movie about a real life person, although dramatized, can be spoiled but I won't say anything anyway.

So why didn't I like the third act as much as the second? Cause dat ending. It was so abrupt and leaves threads unresolved. We all know Mike Tyson is in the movie. His deal? Unresolved. The two of them barely even see each other except for their fight.
And we all know Bruce Lee is in this movie? The deal with him? ****ing unresolved. Come on, everyone wanted to see the ending with Yip training Bruce, but nope. However there's a couple of cool scenes with those two, I'll say that.
Also there's a part that was too riminiscent of the first half of Ip Man, but kinda rushed, it flies by too fast.

Now, the fights. Nothing bad to say about them, they're cool as hell. Choreographies are spectacular (sometimes kind of exaggerated), Donnie Yen's (and everybody else's, really) execution is on point, cinematography is nice, they're shot very well, as you'd expect from an Asian movie.

I know what you wanna know, "Fox! How's the Yip Man vs Tyson fight???".
It's... it's cool. I expected more though. Lasts too little, has little buildup. Still cool though. Tyson is brutal and mocking, you can tell he enjoys doing movie fights and you know what, he's good at it too.

So, overall I liked the movie. The pacing can be kinda off, there are a few threads that remain unresolved, but most of the acting is good (yeah Tyson is the weak spot, as you can imagine... except when he gets to fight, he conveys the attitude pretty well), the action is good, cinematography's good. I'd recommend it.

The first Ip Man remains the best though.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I saw it and enjoyed it a lot but felt it didn't hold up to either of the first 2.

I agree about the first being the best too.

Ip man and the raid 1 and 2 are my favorite martial arts movies of the last few years.Though yen in flashpoint and return of chen zen was amazing.

Top Bottom