• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Innovation or No?

Meg

Gamers like to clamor on about the lack of innovation in games. You know the story, CoD gets a new game every year for example. So many companies release a sequel on a every year or two basis. Most of the biggest games being released this year are sequels; Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 3, inFAMOUS 2 (<3!!!!!!!!), and so on. Even original games are more often than not, not very original. Let's face it, HOW many Guitar Hero and CoD knock offs are there? Gamers thirst for something new and complain about the lack of creativity in games, yet when something new comes along it often gets over looked and forgotten about. Games like Okami for example.

My question is this; do gamers really want innovation and new ideas in games or no? Black Ops is the best selling video game on the PS3 and maybe over all (not sure) and yet its basically the same thing as MW2, which was the same as World at War and MW.

If gamers really wanted something new then why is it that the games that answer their call get overlooked in favorite of the newest CoD or Fallout? (Not bashing either of them)

I think the reason is that gamers only have so much money to spend on games, so when multiple games come their way its easier (and safer) to go with the tried and true formula you know you'll like than this new game you've never heard of.

Its not very encouraging to game companies when people ask them for something new and then either scream and complain (DmC, Cole's original look in inFAMOUS 2) or just don't buy it.

L.A. Noire looks very promising and I have my eye on it. Here's hoping it lives up to the hype AND sells well (Although I won't be buying it right away because I pre-ordered the Hero Edition for inFAMOUS 2 heh heh).

Annnyway. Block of text aside, thoughts?

Dark Drakan

Admin
People buy CoD every year because its deemed fashionable by the younger generation to have the latest 'updates'. Much like having the latest phone or MP3 player etc its become a brand which is fashionable to get the latest of. CoD is spoken about and played by school kids mainly (from the community ive seen online when i was an avid CoD player). Ive been a fan for many years and up until CoD 4 and Modern Warfare 2 they did bring something new to the table (early ones being the best of course) however its starting to feel recycled now as you said. However the kids who play it will still want it for the new guns and maps and chance to start levelling themselves up again to keep up with friends & to remain playing the old one when i new one is out is deemed unfashionable like owning an old phone or something.

Its a shame the community has dwindled down to this as i used to enjoy the games greatly and look forward to seeing the new games and what new things they brought to the table. I now play the Battlefield series instead which some might say is just another shooter but the technology DICE are using with it is nothing to be scoffed at. The Frostbite engine is fanstasic and DICE deserve praise for that and the updated version they have been working on. Not many games have captured destruction and audio as they have and that sold me straight away. Each game has a greater amount of improvements and engine enhancements over previous versions and feels more like its a proper sequel rather than an update or feel like a mere expansion like CoD has fallen into. Battlefield 3 is looking absolutely stunning and i hope that it shows CoD up if they merely recycle it for another year again. I do however hope that the child community of CoD dont jump ship to it as Battlefield has always been a more mature minded game. CoD has its mature players but they are usually lost in a sea of immaturity and homophobic remarks by 10-14 year olds.

I am however a big fan of games that try something new and think outside the box Shenmue, Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, The Darkness, Half Life & Half Life 2 (package) are a handful of examples. I too hope L.A Noire is fantastic and lives up to the expectations people have of it because it truly is a technical marvel and deserves to sell on ambition alone. I preordered mine pretty much straight away the same as i did all the above titles too. Bravo to Team Bondi for trying something new and if it does end up as good as it could be then i hope they get the credit they deserve too as i see so many people praising Rockstar for creating the game.

Meg

Lots of good points, Mr. Drakan! :D I hadn't thought of the "new = cool" mentality you described. That's got to be part of it to. Also, great examples you gave. :D I'm looking forward to Battlefield 3 also. It looks like lots of fun and I know what you mean by each one feeling like a complete squeal.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
You guys ever hear of the game "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem"? Fantastic game, innovative gameplay and plot, but it sold so poorly it never got a sequel... It was Nintendo's first 1st-party M rated game, too.

Dark Drakan

Admin
You guys ever hear of the game "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem"? Fantastic game, innovative gameplay and plot, but it sold so poorly it never got a sequel... It was Nintendo's first 1st-party M rated game, too.

I remember the name and seeing screens of it, such a shame when this happens.

Lili Rochefort

we live to make impossible, possible!
hmm... I think games must have some innovates... but if it gets much it will be boring... for example DmC... it had changed all the things... it's awful:confused:... they could have at least just chande Dante's appearance... not even the city or Demons and...
do you agree!?

Top Bottom