• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Indie Film Improvements

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
So, you guys have probably noticed that almost no indie movie out there has any "big-time" special effects, right?

(Well, I haven't noticed, anyway.)

Obviously, that's because almost none of them can really afford that. But what if there was another way?

--------------

What if there was a way to get animation studios (or at least some of the people who animate those great DC movies that have come out recently) to rotoscope over all the live action scenes?

All the live-action scenes could be drawn over and filmed in one "blank" room (with a few props here and there for reference). It would be the perfect fusion of voice-acting and live action, in my opinion.

From my point of view -- in the right hands, it could be DMC4 on speed... and possibly acid (if Terry Gilliam were involved).

---------------

Sure, you could involve bigger studios, but I think the burden lies with the indie scene in order to 'prove their worth' (as it were).

I know Beowulf (and Scanner Darkly -- and Waking Life) tried this already and it more or less failed at the box office -- but that's all the more reason to have independent movies produce more of these pictures instead of the companies that always feel the need to rake in more profit.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I liked Watchmen though. I also like the fact that they didn't add the squid.

Edit: Working with Asian studios is only half the battle though... we need movies made with kickstarter or patreon so that they don't need to make a profit -- they would already be paid for.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
i've seen some of those youtubes short movies with CGs --that should count as indie i assume, and i gotta say most of them are decent and some are really well made.. so i think the skill is there and all they do need is the funding..

but the big problem with indie movies i think is the acting.. i just hope there are cheap amateur talents out there with good acting

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
2. Yes but wouldn't that eliminate the feel of needing to put effort into a movie ?
If someone is making a movie without the need to risk something then that just opens up the idea of throwing anything together without the cost of yourself & reap whatever the rewards they get.
I honestly don't think they would. Any move that was made under that program would still be subject to criticism.

People like to say that public enforcement is ineffective. I say it's the most effective tool we have.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I don't think people will pay for sharktopi tornado 15 on kickstarter.

If it turns out to be bad, then they'll learn not to trust that company again.

You're forgetting that people aren't going to help crowdfund just any old project. If there's a bad movie being made on kickstarter right now, then I haven't heard of it.

Edit: I'm sure there are more than a few being made, but at least it won't be the trainwrecks you listed above.

There's at least some quality control being done during these projects.

Mighty Number Nine is an exception though -- it's a good game, but it keeps going overbudget.

-------------

For the most part, you're right -- however people aren't as foolish as you think they are. They're not smart, yeah, but they're not completely helpless either.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I liked Watchmen though. I also like the fact that they didn't add the squid.
That kind of bugged me because when I thought about it, making Doctor Manhattan the common enemy he wanted humanity to come together to face is stupid because, how the eff are you gonna beat Doctor Manhattan? The dude is practically a god. Like humanity would even stand a chance if he decided to go all kill crazy.

Top Bottom